AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:35 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Whatever the future of the conservative movement might be, it will surely continue to have a fundamental component related to moral virtues and support for that fundamental unit of society, a man, a woman, children and another woman or man or restroom buddy. A movement pure as the driven slush.

It is nice to see you around here again.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:37 am
@parados,
Parados, my 'snide comments about you', as you put it, are strictly in rebuttal to your continued misrepresentation of what I say, think, want, believe, etc. When you stop doing that, I will not be making any 'snide comments'.

Your definition of metaphor is similar to the definition of metaphor that I used, and does not change the fact that I used a metaphorical illustration in the least. Or did you misread what I said about that too?
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I thought you were off in Hawaii getting married, Cy.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Whatever the future of the conservative movement might be, it will surely continue to have a fundamental component related to moral virtues and support for that fundamental unit of society, a man, a woman, children and another woman or man or restroom buddy. A movement pure as the driven slush.

Why?

Do you really see ideology as no different from one man's immorality as being somehow more immoral than another man's immorality? Do you define ideology by the imperfections of those who profess it? Do you honestly believe that those describing themselves as 'conservative' are somehow less pure or moral than those describing themselves as 'liberal'? Or are those liberals in the news who have been caught in compromisng situations or who are under investigation or who have been indicted or who have been accused of suspicious activity somehow more forgivable than those who describe themselves as conservative? Do you seriously believe that those who describe themselves as conservative must be held to a higher standard than liberals in order to be acceptable? Are you a one-trick-pony one issue person? Or somebody who can see and evaluate the big picture?

Here is the definition of Modern American Conservatism (MAC) that, so far, has been generally accepted as one that all or most of us who describe ourselves as 'conservative' can mostly live with. All or most of us agree that many of our elected 'leaders' have failed to live up to it, and that is largely why they fell from political favor.

Please point out the 'slush' that you see apparent in this.

Quote:
Modern American Conservatism/Classical Liberalism
(adapted from Wiki)

Modern American Conservatism (MAC)/Classical liberalism (also known as traditional liberalism[1], laissez-faire liberalism[2], and market liberalism[3] or, outside the United States and Britain, sometimes simply liberalism is a doctrine stressing individual freedom, free markets, and limited government. This includes the importance of human rationality, individual property rights, natural rights, the protection of civil liberties, individual freedom from restraint, equality under the law, constitutional limitation of government, free markets, and a gold standard to place fiscal constraints on government as exemplified in the writings of John Locke, Adam Smith, David Hume, David Ricardo, Voltaire, Montesquieu and others.

As such, it is the fusion of economic liberalism with political liberalism of the late 18th and 19th centuries. The "normative core" of MAC/classical liberalism is the idea that laissez-faire economics will bring about a spontaneous order or invisible hand that benefits the society, though it does not necessarily oppose the state's provision of some basic public goods with what constitutes public goods being seen as very limited. The qualification classical was applied retroactively to distinguish it from more recent, 20th-century conceptions of liberalism and its related movements, such as social liberalism MACs promote strong national defense and necessary regulation to prevent the citiziens/states from doing violence to each other, but are otherwise suspicious of all but the most minimal government necessary to perform its Constitutional mandates and object to most of a federal welfare state.

Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, and Milton Friedman, are credited with influencing a revival of classical liberalism in the twentieth century after it fell out of favor beginning in the late nineteenth century and much of the twentieth century. In relation to economic issues, this revival is sometimes referred to, mainly by its opponents, as "neoliberalism". The German "ordoliberalism" has a whole different meaning, since the likes of Alexander Rüüüüstow and Wilhelm Rööööpke have advocated a more interventionist state, as opposed to laissez-faire liberals. Classical liberalism has many aspects in common with modern libertarianism, with the terms being used almost interchangeably by those who support limited government.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:53 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I thought you were off in Hawaii getting married, Cy.

Today's my last day at work!

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Geeze and here I thought I'd missed it. I'll go have another look at my invitation. Smile

Don't post from the honeymoon suite!!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:58 am
@Foxfyre,
Don't you understand the futility of posting some definition that your GOP leaders and the american people aren't interested in?

T
K
O
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:00 am
@Foxfyre,
Read my lips - It's the hypocrisy!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:01 am
@JTT,
I believe Foxie's definition for hypocrisy is different than the generally accepted definition.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
No, CI, I'd say that hers is pretty much in line with most people. It's just that conservatives have developed this ability to shut it out so that it doesn't affect their momentary world view.

That's how it makes it so easy for her and others to casually dismiss conservatives that they've defended for years and, what's so surprising, hardly miss a beat. Where does it lead the MAC, right on back to the hypocrisy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:11 am
@Foxfyre,
Since you think I misrepresent what you said then point out what you said and what I said and we can discuss it. Unless you can point out specific instances and show HOW I did so then you are doing nothing more than making snide comments.
You said this ....
Quote:
Now lets suppose those dirty bombs are completed and positioned strategically to do great damage to the USA. What will our President and the current Congress do then? Fight? Or surrender? So far they have surrendered on every issue they have been challenged by thugs and dictators around the world. By what theory do you then assume that they would finally choose to fight rather than have Sharia law imposed on the USA? It is an illustration of what that kind of mindset leads to, not a specific prediction of what is going to happen.

http://able2know.org/topic/113196-571#post-3687759

If it is an illustration of something then how is it a metaphor about something that it is unlike?

I don't think it is I that has the reading comprehension problem Fox in this case.

But go ahead and be snotty Fox. It's seems be synonymous with MACs these days.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:19 am
@parados,
I can, but from long experience now, I know that the exercise will be unsatisfying in its futility. It is necessary to be able to accurately state what a person said in the first place in order to have a reasonable conversation about it. Take the discussion re Dr. Sowell's essay as an example. As yet, not a single member criticizing him have accurately represented what he said or have given any indication that they want to. As another member said, such exercises are exceedingly boring. Do have a great day, however.
parados

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:27 am
@Foxfyre,
ROLFMAO.. That's funny Fox especially in light of this by you

Foxfyre wrote:

Prove me wrong. Until you do, I win

As to accurately representing what Sowell said.. Let me ask you Fox, did Sowell use the word "debt" or "deficit"? Is it accurate to use the word he used or one you claim he MEANT to use? I find it is YOU that is not accurately representing what he said.

Simple question Fox.. Is it accurate to say Sowell used the word "debt" incorrectly in his column?
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:38 am
@parados,
I very clearly previously stated that I asked Dr. Sowell about that specifically. He very clearly stated that he intended to say 'deficit' instead of 'debt'. He did not know whether the error was his or happened in the editing process. I took that as an acknowledgement that he puts his pants on one leg at a time just like everbody else, and is capable as anybody else of an inadvertent error of saying one word when another is intended.

But you probably inadvertently didn't read that correctly when I previously posted it either. I was quite specific about it.

Now then, unless one is ready to say that he or she is perfect and never says anything differently than what was intended or never use the wrong word or commits error of any kind, most people would accept that as a reasonable explanation.

Numbnuts won't.

Which are you?
parados

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:41 am
@Foxfyre,
Of course Fox.. But Sowell DID say "debt" and you just claimed that NO ONE that criticized him accurately described what he SAID.

Either Sowell didn't say "debt" or you are misrepresenting what those criticizing him said. Which is it?
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:43 am
@parados,
No Parados. I freely admitted that the word 'debt' was used instead of the intended 'deficit'. He freely admitted that. What I said was that nobody criticizing Dr. Sowell has represented him accurately. See? Even now you cannot represent what I said accurately much less him. And you wonder why I get frustrated with you.
Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:45 am
And you know that deficit was intended because? Your mythic e-mail from Mr. Sowell . . . you produce more sh*t than a hog farmer . . .
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:46 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
As yet, not a single member criticizing him have accurately represented what he said or have given any indication that they want to.

Did Sowell use the word "debt"?
Is it accurate to represent what he said was the word "debt"?

Did Sowell say what he meant when he used the word "debt?" If he meant something else does it mean he didn't use the word "debt?"

Did Foxfyre just confuse the word "said" with "meant"? Your statement was factually incorrect Fox when you said no one has accurately represented what Sowell said. Your defense of it as "he intended to say 'deficit' instead of 'debt'" shows he clearly said 'debt' and arguing he didn't would be a flat out lie on your part.
parados

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:49 am
@Foxfyre,
You said THIS Fox..
Quote:
As yet, not a single member criticizing him have accurately represented what he said

Do your words have meaning or not Fox?

It is accurate to represent he said the word "debt"?
If it is accurate to do so then anyone that said he used the word debt would have accurately represented what he said. Anyone claiming they didn't accurately represent what he said would be wrong.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:51 am
@parados,
I give up. You are incapable of reading and comprehending. Dr. Sowell said that he did not intend to write 'debt' but intended to write 'deficit'. You seem to have a real disability in understanding the difference between those two terms. But do have a great day.

Quote:
Oh and my definition of 'numbnut':

1) Thinks personal insults, ad hominem, or clever 'put downs' is valid debate and makes him/her look smart, intelligent, credible, and/or funny.

2) Frequently disrupts the flow of conversation with non sequiturs, straw men, red herrings, and/or irrelevant information, or nitpicks one phrase, term, or word to ensure that no discussion of an interesting topic can take place.

3) Spams the thread with frequent disruptive multiple long, wordy copy and pastes from highly biased sources that are as often as not unsourced and unlinked.

4) Refuses to articulate a valid rebuttal or his/her rationale for a point of view but take every opportunity to discredit or dispute the person or source and/or the way that a point of view is expressed.

And yes, we have numbnuts from both the left and right.