AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 09:21 am
Those not interested in discussing conservative principles of course have any number of other threads available for Bush bashing no matter how prejudicial and incorrect their views might be.

Meanwhile, as I thought Ash's nomination of Kay Bailey Hutchinson as a VP pick for McCain to be interesting, and comparing her comments in the posted article with a conservative evaluation:

Quote:

Myth #1: Tax revenues remain low.
Fact: Tax revenues are above the historical average, even after the tax cuts.

Myth #2: The Bush tax cuts substantially reduced 2006 revenues and expanded the budget deficit.
Fact: Nearly all of the 2006 budget deficit resulted from additional spending above the baseline.

Myth #3: Supply-side economics assumes that all tax cuts immediately pay for themselves.
Fact: It assumes replenishment of some but not necessarily all lost revenues.

Myth #4: Capital gains tax cuts do not pay for themselves.
Fact: Capital gains tax revenues doubled following the 2003 tax cut.

Myth #5: The Bush tax cuts are to blame for the projected long-term budget deficits.
Fact: Projections show that entitlement costs will dwarf the projected large revenue increases.

Myth #6: Raising tax rates is the best way to raise revenue.
Fact: Tax revenues correlate with economic growth, not tax rates.

Myth #7: Reversing the upper-income tax cuts would raise substantial revenues.
Fact: The low-income tax cuts reduced revenues the most.

Myth #8: Tax cuts help the economy by "putting money in people's pockets."
Fact: Pro-growth tax cuts support incentives for productive behavior.

Myth #9: The Bush tax cuts have not helped the economy.
Fact: The economy responded strongly to the 2003 tax cuts.

Myth #10: The Bush tax cuts were tilted toward the rich.
Fact: The rich are now shouldering even more of the income tax burden.
http://www.heritage.org/research/taxes/bg2001.cfm

The link provides an expanded discussion of each point.

Quote:
In 2000, the top 60 percent of taxpayers paid 100 percent of all income taxes. The bottom 40 percent collectively paid no income taxes. Lawmakers writing the 2001 tax cuts faced quite a challenge in giving the bulk of the income tax savings to a population that was already paying no income taxes.

Rather than exclude these Americans, lawmak­ers used the tax code to subsidize them. (Some economists would say this made that group's col­lective tax burden negative.)First, lawmakers low­ered the initial tax brackets from 15 percent to 10 percent and then expanded the refundable child tax credit, which, along with the refundable earned income tax credit (EITC), reduced the typical low-income tax burden to well below zero. As a result, the U.S. Treasury now mails tax "refunds" to a large proportion of these Americans that exceed the amounts of tax that they actually paid. All in all, the number of tax filers with zero or negative income tax liability rose from 30 million to 40 million, or about 30 percent of all tax filers.[17] The remaining 70 percent of tax filers received lower income tax rates, lower investment taxes, and lower estate taxes from the 2001 legislation.

Consequently, from 2000 to 2004, the share of all individual income taxes paid by the bottom 40 per­cent dropped from zero percent to -4 percent, mean­ing that the average family in those quintiles received a subsidy from the IRS. (See Chart 6.) By contrast, the share paid by the top quintile of households (by income) increased from 81 percent to 85 percent.

Expanding the data to include all federal taxes, the share paid by the top quintile edged up from 66.6 percent in 2000 to 67.1 percent in 2004, while the bottom 40 percent's share dipped from 5.9 per­cent to 5.4 percent. Clearly, the tax cuts have led to the rich shouldering more of the income tax burden and the poor shouldering less.[18]
http://www.heritage.org/research/taxes/bg2001.cfm
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 09:38 am
Foxfyre, it is reaching the point where the bottom 50% of incomes pay little or no income tax, in fact a large percentage receive more than ever paid in. I am all in favor of helping the lower incomes, but one negative aspect of that scenario is that a larger and larger percentage of people have no vested interest in the government controlling spending, because they are not contributing via the income tax. Most people like alot of things if they are not required to pay for them.

The above is one reason I like the retail sales tax because everyone would be able to see the money every time they buy something as it is confiscated for their government to redistribute into whatever endeavor their beloved representatives deem worthwhile.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 10:06 am
okie wrote:
Foxfyre, it is reaching the point where the bottom 50% of incomes pay little or no income tax, in fact a large percentage receive more than ever paid in. I am all in favor of helping the lower incomes, but one negative aspect of that scenario is that a larger and larger percentage of people have no vested interest in the government controlling spending, because they are not contributing via the income tax. Most people like alot of things if they are not required to pay for them.

The above is one reason I like the retail sales tax because everyone would be able to see the money every time they buy something as it is confiscated for their government to redistribute into whatever endeavor their beloved representatives deem worthwhile.

I would certainly entertain a good debate to compare merits of a sales tax vs an income tax. At first blush I see a sales tax as in fact being far more regressive in its effects on the poor unless perhaps some kind of low income ID card could be presented to exempt somebody from the tax, but then you have an enormous accounting head ache for the business owner. My other concern is the ease with which a quarter percent here and a quarter percent there is so easy to impose and is barely noticeable on day to day purchases but slowly confiscates more and more of individual assets.

That frog started out in lukewarm water and gradually heated up until it boils to death analogy and all. . .

At least on the local level we usually get to vote on those quarter cent increases even though many are virtually invisible within the language of a really great looking bond issue or something. At the federal level we wouldn't. Congress could just tack on another quarter cent any time they chose to do that. But they can raise our income taxes at will too--they just get more negative publicity when they do that.

Meanwhile, there are all the other taxes that pretty well confiscate up to 50% or more of our income:

(From a recent e-mail)
Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Ta x
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare! Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge TaxSocial Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

THE AMAZING THING:
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago,
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 10:13 am
There is one surefire way to get taxes lowered and never raised.

For one year there should be a complete moratorium on taxes.
Nobody would have ANY state, federal or local taxes deducted from their paychecks.
There would be no SS tax deducted, no FICA, no medicare tax, nothing.
You would get paid every penny you earned.

Then on the first of the year, you would get a bill from the govt for ALL of the taxes you owe, taxes that are normally deducted from your check.
You would have till April 15 to pay that bill.
There would be no extensions for any reason.

I am willing to bet that if that was done every person in this country would be demanding a tax cut.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 10:24 am
mysteryman wrote:
There is one surefire way to get taxes lowered and never raised.

For one year there should be a complete moratorium on taxes.
Nobody would have ANY state, federal or local taxes deducted from their paychecks.
There would be no SS tax deducted, no FICA, no medicare tax, nothing.
You would get paid every penny you earned.

Then on the first of the year, you would get a bill from the govt for ALL of the taxes you owe, taxes that are normally deducted from your check.
You would have till April 15 to pay that bill.
There would be no extensions for any reason.

I am willing to bet that if that was done every person in this country would be demanding a tax cut.

I would vote for that. But when a modified version of it was tried back in the 70's or 80's--can't remember when--so that some employers were not doing any withholding for the first three weeks and then took all the taxes out of the fourth week's pay so that the employees could see how much of a tax bite they were actually paying, the feds stepped in and made them cease and desist. They didn't WANT people understanding how much of their income the feds were actually confiscating.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 10:34 am
Foxfyre wrote:
okie wrote:

I would certainly entertain a good debate to compare merits of a sales tax vs an income tax. At first blush I see a sales tax as in fact being far more regressive in its effects on the poor unless perhaps some kind of low income ID card could be presented to exempt somebody from the tax, but then you have an enormous accounting head ache for the business owner. My other concern is the ease with which a quarter percent here and a quarter percent there is so easy to impose and is barely noticeable on day to day purchases but slowly confiscates more and more of individual assets.

That frog started out in lukewarm water and gradually heated up until it boils to death analogy and all. . .

At least on the local level we usually get to vote on those quarter cent increases even though many are virtually invisible within the language of a really great looking bond issue or something. At the federal level we wouldn't. Congress could just tack on another quarter cent any time they chose to do that. But they can raise our income taxes at will too--they just get more negative publicity when they do that.

Thanks for the listing of taxes.

I will preface this by saying I am no expert on this and I am not totally informed enough to say I would support the sales tax at this point, but we need to study this in much more detail in a serious way, and seriously consider enacting it, after determining the necessary tax rates and exact structure of the tax in terms of what to exculde, etc.
The reason I like the retail sales tax, but only if the income tax is totally eliminated, would be:

Ease and efficiency of collection and lowering the cost of collection. We already collect state and local sales tax. Fear of an underground economy is one concern in regard to bartering or noncollection, however merchandise is so mass produced and sold by large outlets, I think only a small percentage of sales tax would be avoided and probably would be much smaller than current non-compliance to the income tax.

Visibility of tax is a good thing. Every time anyone buys anything, they see how much the government is costing them.

To address the regressive aspects of the tax, it can be excluded for shelter (rent and home purchase up to a certain threshold) and for food. Also for used clothing, such as Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Food is already excluded in some states. This is not a problem through the bar code system. Also, the low income wage earners could apply for a rebate at the end of the year, and unfortunately this aspect may require a small portion of the income tax bureaucracy to survive, not only for this, but also to administer Social Security and Medicare. However, we should also look at converting SS and Medicare to a sales tax system as well. Also, rich people buy more expensive items, such as more expensive cars, and they buy more stuff, so they are still going to pay most of the tax. Through the rebate system for low wage earners, they will still pay little or no tax, or perhaps come out ahead, depending on structure of the system.

The underground economy of drug dealers, etc. etc. would pay tax anytime they buy something.

By eliminating the income tax, we get rid of all the special interests that have their finger in this mess, and it also frees up Congress from all of this mess.

Most importantly, the elimination of income tax on businesses reduces cost of production here in this country, thus placing all products sold here on an equal footing, no matter where manufactured or produced. This one thing could help our domestic economy in an unbelievably positive way. Every product here is penalized as it works its way up the system, from the myriad of companies, from mining ore, to processing, to manufacturing, to trucking and transportation, to wages, etc. etc.

Yes, we could pay more for products, possibly, but we have more money to spend, and the product price should be lower before tax because of elimination of all the taxes included in the price before it hits the shelf in a store.

The tax could also encourage saving vs spending. One of the benefits of this could be increasing the amount of money available for capital investment, such as into new equipment, technology and development.

These are just a few of the positive aspects of the sales tax.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 12:45 pm
One conservative principle is acknowledging the effect that any action has on the whole. One of the provisions in the Bush 41 administration tax increase--applauded by Democrats who then double crossed Bush on their promise to also cut spending--cost him the 1992 election too--was a huge luxury tax on rich people's toys--yachts, private planes, high value jewelry, etc. Finally the rich were being soaked--it was a glorious thing to all who base their politics on class envy and despising the rich.

The result however, was that the rich simply didn't buy any toys or went elsewhere to get them which caused severe decimation of our private plane manufacturing and almost total destruction of our boat building industry. And high value jewelry was driven off shore to places like the Cayman Islands where nobody in the USA would benefit. There was a net loss in revenue when unemployment in those industries soared. The net suffering imposed on people dependent on those industries for their livelihood is less measurable but it was real. Those jobs were not replaced with other jobs that generally happens with free trade. They just went away.

The huge mistake the liberals seem to always make on these things is the failure to factor in how a different policy changes people's behavior with a measurable effect on the overall economy.

What would a national sales tax do re buying habits which is after all the primary driving force behind the economy? Would people start bartering more to avoid the tax? Would a rebate system work or would having to pay the tax up front impose an unacceptable hardship on the poor? All these things would have to be analyzed and hammered out.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 01:58 pm
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/20080409RZ1AP-PhoneRing3am.jpg
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:17 pm
revel wrote:
Bottom line you can't expect to fincance wars; run a government all the while having tax cuts which have only benefited a few and have run the deficit up. Sooner or later something has to got to give.

OK.

How 'bout if we measure each federal program against the 10th Amendment?

Quote:
powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

If it is a program that specifically qualifies as being the federal government's responsibility under the Constitution -- fund it.

If it is NOT a program that specifically qualifies as being the federal government's responsibility under the Constitution -- eliminate it.

Fair?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:28 pm
According to the data published by the Heritage Foundation up there, should we actually inforce the 10th Amendment, RL, we would eliminate the deficit overnight and be running a HUGE surplus even with the funding for the overseas military efforts everywhere. Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:35 pm
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/ca0312cd.jpg
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 04:42 pm
my humble request to the American conservatives.
Say sorry and be an observer.

" Better bend than break the tranquility." Scottish proverb

I am Red and not yet dead like Betrand Russell
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 02:41 pm
This should be the quote of the year:

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/tmwst080408.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:24 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
This should be the quote of the year:

So is Mr Foxfyre as out to lunch as you are?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 04:01 pm
Big assumption, that there is a Mister, that is! When do you believe Foxy gets out of the asylum?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:24 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
real life wrote:
revel wrote:
Bottom line you can't expect to fincance wars; run a government all the while having tax cuts which have only benefited a few and have run the deficit up. Sooner or later something has to got to give.

OK.

How 'bout if we measure each federal program against the 10th Amendment?

Quote:
powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

If it is a program that specifically qualifies as being the federal government's responsibility under the Constitution -- fund it.

If it is NOT a program that specifically qualifies as being the federal government's responsibility under the Constitution -- eliminate it.

Fair?

According to the data published by the Heritage Foundation up there, should we actually inforce the 10th Amendment, RL, we would eliminate the deficit overnight and be running a HUGE surplus even with the funding for the overseas military efforts everywhere.

Foxfyre,

Liberals haven't a clue what the phrase 'limited government' means.

The problem is, many conservatives were educated in schools run by liberals and their idea of limited government is a government that grows at a slower pace than liberals want it to.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:49 am
Real Life I don't want to make this a liberal bashing thread any more than it will be useful for it to be a conservative bashing thread; however, I acknowledge that comparing the two ideologies is sometimes necessary to understand the dynamics involved. I do think both sides can be guilty of tunnel vision.

This line of yours is an especially good one and I think merits notice and also discussion:
Quote:
The problem is, many conservatives were educated in schools run by liberals and their idea of limited government is a government that grows at a slower pace than liberals want it to.

Meanwhile, what should the President do about those opening ceremonies at the Olympics in China this summer? Most--mostly on the leftish side--seem to be calling for a boycott of the opening ceremony but not the Olympics themselves. I'm seeing a bit of resistance to that on the conservative side though it is by no means universal. Jimmy Carter put intense pressure on the US IOCC committee to not allow American atheletes to participate at all in 1980 as a protest against the USSRs invasion of Afghanistan. My heart has always ached for the young athletes who had trained so hard and were denied an opportunity to participate.

Should politics enter into the Olympics at all?

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/Olympic_Torch_coLOR-.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 09:54 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Most--mostly on the leftish side--seem to be calling for a boycott of the opening ceremony but not the Olympics themselves.

A quote from "one of the most-often-quoted newspapers in the U.S."

Quote:
Conservatives warm to Bush boycott of Beijing Olympics
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:21 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
Conservatives warm to Bush boycott of Beijing Olympics

By Ralph Z. Hallow
April 10, 2008

Conservatives are beginning to coalesce ,,, around the idea ... that President Bush should not attend.

[...]

Geeze, won't that make the world miserable as hell! How can those cons be so unfeeling?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:31 pm
The meter is running!

http://blog.indecision2008.com/2008/04/11/the-daily-show-on-fox-news-the-meter-is-running/
0 Replies