AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Advocate

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:56 pm
Here is the cause of the subprime mortgage crisis.

The reasons proposed for this crisis are varied and complex. The crisis can be attributed to a number of factors pervasive in both housing and credit markets, factors which emerged over a number of years. Causes proposed include the inability of homeowners to make their mortgage payments, due primarily to adjusted rate mortgages resetting, borrowers overextending, predatory lending, speculation and overbuilding during the boom period, risky mortgage products, high personal and corporate debt levels, financial products that distributed and perhaps concealed the risk of mortgage default, monetary policy, international trade imbalances, and government regulation (or the lack thereof).[30][31] Two important catalysts of the subprime crisis were the influx of moneys from the private sector and banks entering into the mortgage bond market and the predatory lending practices of mortgage brokers, specifically the adjusted rate mortgage, 2-28 loan.[32][33] Utimately, though, moral hazard lay at the core of many of the causes.[34]

In its "Declaration of the Summit on Financial Markets and the World Economy," dated 15 November 2008, leaders of the Group of 20 cited the following causes:

During a period of strong global growth, growing capital flows, and prolonged stability earlier this decade, market participants sought higher yields without an adequate appreciation of the risks and failed to exercise proper due diligence. At the same time, weak underwriting standards, unsound risk management practices, increasingly complex and opaque financial products, and consequent excessive leverage combined to create vulnerabilities in the system. Policy-makers, regulators and supervisors, in some advanced countries, did not adequately appreciate and address the risks building up in financial markets, keep pace with financial innovation, or take into account the systemic ramifications of domestic regulatory actions.[35]

-- wikipedia.com
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:02 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

She just called cicerone imposter a troll and an idiot. Yet, she claims that she never uses ad hominems.

Of course neither you nor Cicerone has ever been known to use insulting or abusive language towards another poster here !

Indeed overall I believe she is less insulting towards others than either of you.

Stop kissing her ass, george. She's the most condescending person on the boards. If you ever challenge her idiotic and hypocritical statements, she'll be calling you a troll and a idiot too.

Debra, Foxfyre is one of the most decent and polite posters on this forum. If you started in earnest now, you could possibly earn a small measure of her class.

Yes Debra, fox might even be so polite as to teach you her best tricks.

1) Avoiding direct questions
2) instisting you fail to understand a concept when she's out of her intelectual league.
3) playing the victim

T
K
O
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:37 pm
@JamesMorrison,
Uh oh, now you've done it. You evoked the Coulter name which, if anybody was paying attention, will evoke a least three pages of acid posts. But here's an observation on Bill Maher's stellar (cough) commentary:

Quote:
Bill Maher: 'The Racism is Coming from Rush Limbaugh'
By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
March 14, 2009 - 12:06 ET

Did you know that the racism in our country is coming from Rush Limbaugh?

That's what HBO's Bill Maher said on Friday's "Real Time."

Not just that, but also the people who are buying guns and ammunition since Election Day are doing so "because they're afraid that Obama and his Negro army are going to come and get" them.

I kid you not.

Such offenses occurred in the following exchange between Maher and his conservative guest Andrew Breitbart (video embedded below the fold, relevant section at 2:37):

ANDREW BREITBART: Right now if you look online you'll see that "Atlas Shrugged" and Ayn Rand's books are, are, you know, flying off of the bookshelves, of the virtual bookshelves...

BILL MAHER: Well, so's ammo in Oklahoma.

BREITBART: Right, well okay...

MAHER: Oklahoma's out of ammo because they're afraid that Obama and his Negro army are going to come and get you.

BREITBART: Who's afraid of, who's, where's this racism coming from? I haven't seen this online.

MAHER: Well, the racism is coming from Rush Limbaugh. It's taking root in Oklahoma.

Imagine that. But there's more, for when Breitbart took offense Maher laughed.

Even better, after Maher's other guest, Georgetown professor and liberal talk radio host Michael Eric Dyson, elaborated on why Limbaugh is a racist, Breitbart pointed out that nobody was a bigger defender of Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas than Limbaugh.

This elicited uproarious laughter from Maher and his audience.

Breitbart then deliciously acknowledged the crowd's response: "Thank you MoveOn.org, I appreciate that."

Maher disgustingly replied: "Clarence Thomas, a, a black man who does not represent 95 percent of black people."

Once again, Breitbart correctly took offense:

That's bulls**t...You're allowed to have independent thought in this country. And this kind of intimidation by the black studies intelligentsia crowd that, that intimidates black people who are conservatives...

Maher then asked an amazingly stupid question: "You think black people are intimidated from being conservative?"

Ummm, Bill, you just intimidated black people from being conservative by laughing when Clarence Thomas's name was brought up and insulting him with your claim that he doesn't represent 95 percent of black people.

Unfortunately, Maher is so filled with hatred towards conservatives -- and, of course, black conservatives -- that he missed this obvious hypocrisy.

"Noel Sheppard is the Associate Editor of NewsBusters.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard

But can you imagine.....just imagine.....the wholesale bruhaha that would have been generated if it had been a conservative commentator saying stuff like that about a liberal, especially a liberal black person?
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:58 pm
@Foxfyre,
Oh and who has forgotten this now infamous chapter from the Olbermann files as he covers the 2008 GOP convention:
Quote:
“I’m sorry it’s necessary to say this, and I wanted to separate myself from the others on the air about this. If, at this late date, any television network had of its own accord showed that much videotape, and that much graphic videotape of 9/11, and I speak as somebody who lost a few friends there, it, we, would be rightly eviscerated at all quarters, perhaps by the Republican Party itself, for exploiting the memories of the dead and perhaps even for trying to evoke that pain again. If you reacted to that videotape the way I did, I apologize. It is a subject of great pain for many of us still and was probably not appropriate to be shown.”
" MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann on September 4 after his network aired a less than three minute 9/11 tribute video shown at the GOP convention. A week later, MSNBC aired more than three hours of 9/11 news coverage as it originally aired on NBC back on September 11, 2001
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:13 pm
@Diest TKO,
You have it figured out to a "t." okie would never "see it."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:17 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
The subject is fairly complex, and several technologies have sprung out of SDI, or Star Wars, but many more than one test have been carried out, many successful, to the point of actual deployment now of missile defense systems.

There are no operational missile defense systems currently deployed. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

okie wrote:
The following article is just one example of alot of information out there, Joe, and this articl is more than a year old, and at that time, this was the 7th successful test of that system.

The truth is that the technology is real, it is being perfected, and it is crucial to our defense system, and is no more a boondoggle than liberals cling to want to believe, because the results do not evidence their original predictions.

On the contrary: the technology is bogus, it is being sold as a multi-billion dollar bill of goods to the American public, it is absolutely useless as a component of our defense system, and is an enormous boondoggle. Given that you are an unrepentant Bush apologist, however, I'm not surprised that you'd take that position.

okie wrote:
Liberals wanted Reagan to be wrong and to fail, but Reagan has been proven right, and will continue to be.

Continue to worship at the Church of Reagan if you wish. Others can see your unquestioning faith even if you're blind to it.

okie wrote:
Again, the following from an article more than a year old, and more tests and technologies are right now being worked on, tested, and perfected.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSWBT00766220070929

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. interceptor missile on Friday shot down a dummy warhead replicating an incoming North Korean missile in the seventh successful test of Boeing Co's long-range missile shield, the Pentagon said.

Dummy warhead with no electronic countermeasures or defenses. It's skeet shooting with missiles. Let's hope the North Koreans are so cooperative when it comes to a real test.
Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:48 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Dummy warhead with no electronic countermeasures or defenses. It's skeet shooting with missiles. Let's hope the North Koreans are so cooperative when it comes to a real test.

I'm not an expert on skeet shooting, but I think skeet shooters have a better success rate than "Star Wars" does. Let's recall the success rate as described in okie's article:

In the Reuters article okie linked to, the author wrote:
The test marked the sixth successful downing of a target in 10 full-fledged intercept tests since October 1999 in which knocking down the target was the primary objective, said Richard Lehner, a spokesman for the Missile Defense Agency.

Six out of ten? Add the less-then-full fledged intercept tests; add the attempts where the Pentagon improved its success rate simply by saying that knocking down the target was not the primary objective. That probably brings you down to the BA of a Chicago Cubs hitter on a very bad day.

And, not to forget -- how many missiles need the North Koreans sneak through to make a mess of Los Angeles? Or, worse, Ronald Reagan's ranch in Santa Barbara? Just one is enough -- America would have to improve its hit rate at least tenfold, better a hundredfold, for this missile defense system to have a solid impact on national security.
okie

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:55 am
@joefromchicago,
So admit you were wrong, there have been many more than one successful test. There have been many by now, and I did not say we had an operational system deployed, I said we are moving that way in the not too distant future. I imagine what you would be saying about the Wright Brothers if this was 1903. Joe, I can't believe you are still naysaying missile defense systems. Technology is bogus? You are bogus if you believe that.
okie

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:56 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

I'm not an expert on skeet shooting, but I think skeet shooters have a better success rate than "Star Wars" does. Let's recall the success rate as described in okie's article:

In the Reuters article okie linked to, the author wrote:
The test marked the sixth successful downing of a target in 10 full-fledged intercept tests since October 1999 in which knocking down the target was the primary objective, said Richard Lehner, a spokesman for the Missile Defense Agency.

Six out of ten? Add the less-then-full fledged intercept tests; add the attempts where the Pentagon improved its success rate simply by saying that knocking down the target was not the primary objective. That probably brings you down to the BA of a Chicago Cubs hitter on a very bad day.

And, not to forget -- how many missiles need the North Koreans sneak through to make a mess of Los Angeles? Or, worse, Ronald Reagan's ranch in Santa Barbara? Just one is enough -- America would have to improve its hit rate at least tenfold, better a hundredfold, for this missile defense system to have a solid impact on national security.

See my above post, Thomas. Good grief, you guys will believe man caused global warming, but you don't believe valid science. Strange world we live in.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:14 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

So admit you were wrong, there have been many more than one successful test. There have been many by now, and I did not say we had an operational system deployed, I said we are moving that way in the not too distant future. I imagine what you would be saying about the Wright Brothers if this was 1903. Joe, I can't believe you are still naysaying missile defense systems. Technology is bogus? You are bogus if you believe that.

They're not successful in shooting down actual missiles we would see being shot at us, Okie. Just dummies with no ECM and many times with a homing beacon attached to them.

Cyclopticorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:18 am
To okie's defense we did shoot that satelite down last January.

To okie's demise, it took a very long time to plan, and a ICBM will at most take about 90 minutes from launch to boom. Not exactly enough time to hit the white board.

Okie, your faith in the missile shield is based on a mind with no proximity to the defense industry. I do believe that eventually well have a solution, but. Suspect that it will not be the technologies developed under Reagan.

If I'd wager a guess, a real missle shield will be based more on electronic countermeasures. But what the hell do I know...

T
K
O
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:29 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

So admit you were wrong, there have been many more than one successful test.

Wrong about what? You said "Star Wars" worked. It doesn't. Even you admit that they're still just testing it.

okie wrote:
There have been many by now, and I did not say we had an operational system deployed, I said we are moving that way in the not too distant future.

You said that the systems have been tested "to the point of actual deployment now of missile defense systems." That's wrong: they haven't been actually deployed. Really, okie, do you think we can't check your previous statements on this thread?

okie wrote:
I imagine what you would be saying about the Wright Brothers if this was 1903.

1903: Wright Brothers actually get a heavier-than-air aircraft off the ground under its own power.
2009: Pentagon still trying to invent a missile that can shoot down another missile under real-world conditions.

Figures that a Bush apologist like yourself would endorse a faith-based defense policy.

okie wrote:
Joe, I can't believe you are still naysaying missile defense systems. Technology is bogus? You are bogus if you believe that.

No, YOU'RE bogus times infinity!!!!

Buuuuurn!
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:36 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

And the average Cubs hitter can be had for slightly less than the cost of the Star Wars program, so that's a real bargain! I'd trade Kosuke Fukudome for a Trident missile any day.

Thomas wrote:
And, not to forget -- how many missiles need the North Koreans sneak through to make a mess of Los Angeles?

Don't forget, we need to convince the North Koreans to fire their missiles to the west, so they fly over all of those missile defense installations in Poland. Clearly, in order for the missile defense shield to work effectively, we must insist upon maximum cooperation from our enemies.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:59 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

okie wrote:

Wrong about what? You said "Star Wars" worked. It doesn't. Even you admit that they're still just testing it.

I admit nothing. I am saying the same thing I have always said. Joe, if you are going to misquote and give bogus information, such as your stupid assertion that there has been only one test and so forth, I think debating you is a waste of time.

Again, there are enough naysayers around, and you fit the bill. Our missile defense system development is a serious one and it is totally valid. Only a total partisan with his head stuck in the sand would think otherwise.
Advocate

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:00 am
After the first Gulf war, it came to light that the aclaimed Patriot Missile System was a sham. It was 90 % ineffective. SDI is also a sham and a huge money maker for defense contractors.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:02 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

okie wrote:

I admit nothing. I am saying the same thing I have always said. Joe, if you are going to misquote and give bogus information, such as your stupid assertion that there has been only one test and so forth, I think debating you is a waste of time.

Again, there are enough naysayers around, and you fit the bill. Our missile defense system development is a serious one and it is totally valid. Only a total partisan with his head stuck in the sand would think otherwise.

Are you ever going to admit that we have yet to achieve success in this area, after more than 20 years of trying? That is, admit that the missiles which have been shot down are not good representations of real missiles?\

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:06 am
If the US missile defense system is so bogus, then why is Russia so upset about it? If there is no merit to it, why are European nations so eager to benefit from it?

Quote:
U.S. missile-defense policy under review
Tue, 03/03/2009 - 5:48pm

Amid reports that U.S. President Barack Obama last month offered in a letter to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev to reconsider plans for U.S. missile defense installations in Poland and the Czech Republic in exchange for Russia withholding assistance to Iran’s long range missile program, sources tell The Cable that the U.S. missile defense program is currently under review.

Among those involved in the U.S. missile defense policy review is Barry Pavel, the NSC senior director on defense who was brought over in the fall from the Defense Department, a source said. Obama administration officials sought to downplay the review.

"What is being reviewed relates to questions of the effectiveness of the system, the cost, which will impact its deployability going forward," said an NSC official. "It's not a big policy review. There are elements that need to be examined, for good governance."

Whereas the Obama administration has publicly discussed that reviews of U.S. policy regarding Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran are underway, review of U.S. missile defense policy may be more sensitive given that the issue is subject to international negotations at various levels, as Obama's letter to Moscow suggests.

Obama spoke of the letter sent to Moscow in an Oval Office question and answer session following his meeting with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown Tuesday. Obama said that the U.S. missile defense program in Eastern Europe is directed not towards Russia, but Iran.

“What we had was a very lengthy letter talking about a whole range of issues from nuclear proliferation to how are we going to deal with a set of common security concerns along the Afghan border and terrorism,” Obama said. “And what I said in the letter was that, obviously, to the extent that we are lessening Iran's commitment to nuclear weapons, then that reduces the pressure for, or the need for a missile defense system.”

The administration "has framed this up exactly the right way,” said a senior U.S. official. “Missile defense is a means to deal with the growing Iranian threat. If that threat is dealt with, obviously the rationale for missile defense” is reduced. “If the threat is attenuated, there’s added pressure to develop it.”

Arms control advocates such as Joseph Cirincione, the president of the Ploughshares Fund, who contributed advice to the Obama campaign on nonproliferation issues, said the U.S. missile defense program is in great need of review. “On the issues of cost, threat, and effectiveness: this system has not been reliably tested and we have no idea if it will work in the real world,” Cirincione said. “On the threat, the review needs to ask: What is the actual ballistic missile threat that missile defense is needed to counter, what is the future threat, and when will it appear?"

“Thirdly on cost: the [proposed] European system alone costs $14 billion,” Cirincione continued, citing a Congressional Budget Office study released last month. “The overall missile defense program is running at $13 billion a year. Obama all during the campaign said that he’s in favor of missile defense as long as it can be operationally tested, affordable and addresses a real threat.”

Given the shortcomings of the missile defense program on those terms, Cirincione believes the Obama administration is mistaken to try to trade an offer to scrap or delay it in exchange for getting greater cooperation from Moscow on the Iran issue.

Other officials more supportive of the program said that delay in deploying the installations in Eastern Europe was warranted if it bolstered international diplomatic will against the potential Iranian threat that the missile defenses are meant to address.

“We have to have defenses there by the time of the threat,” a senior U.S. official said. “We can wait some time to do this, provided we do not wait too long, to give diplomacy a chance."

White House officials confirmed news reports that the Obama letter was delivered on a visit to Moscow last month by Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs William J. Burns.

Administration officials will continue discussions of issues it raised in upcoming face-to-face meetings with Russian leaders.
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/03/03/us_missile_defense_policy_under_review_0
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:09 am
@Foxfyre,
How hard is that to figure out?

Europe is for it because it means billions of US dollars being spent in their countries.

Russia is against it because it emboldens the Eastern European nations in their relations with Russia.

Simple stuff

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:32 am
@Foxfyre,
Russia is worried about it because they suspect that we want to establish a offensive missle stance against them there. The whole point is that they think our missle shield is such a joke that they suspect that we are targeting them instead.

T
K
O
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The missiles sent by our enemies must be very unsophisticated for any missile defense system to be successful. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that even our "controlled condition" tests have not always been successful, and there is the question of "stealth" that can "hide" from radar and other ID systems.

Large numbers of missiles sent at the same time cannot all be destroyed; that's already been admitted.

0 Replies