AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

georgeob1

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

okie is not capable of doing his "own" homework. He gets his info from Limbaugh and FOX News.

Do you mean to imply that Bill Maher and Keith Oberman of ABC (I think) are significantly more dispassionate and objective?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:29 am
@georgeob1,
No, they are very biased in what they say, and if anybody bothers to repeat them on a2k, it's open to challenge - even from you and okie.

BTW, I have never intentionally repeated Maher or Oberman on or off a2k.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 01:19 pm
@georgeob1,
The big difference is what Maher and Oberman (sic) say is unassailable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 01:23 pm
@Advocate,
I agree, but okie and georgeob are still welcomed to challenge what they say on its merits.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 01:51 pm
@georgeob1,
If the leftists in Washington who are pushing the so-called "Fairness Doctrine" should succeed in reinstating that or a form of that, I think there will be virtually no conservative voice left in the media:

Quote:
Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political ScientistOf the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal.

Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter.

The most centrist outlet proved to be the "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer." CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown" and ABC's "Good Morning America" were a close second and third.

"Our estimates for these outlets, we feel, give particular credibility to our efforts, as three of the four moderators for the 2004 presidential and vice-presidential debates came from these three news outlets " Jim Lehrer, Charlie Gibson and Gwen Ifill," Groseclose said. "If these newscasters weren't centrist, staffers for one of the campaign teams would have objected and insisted on other moderators."

The fourth most centrist outlet was "Special Report With Brit Hume" on Fox News, which often is cited by liberals as an egregious example of a right-wing outlet. While this news program proved to be right of center, the study found ABC's "World News Tonight" and NBC's "Nightly News" to be left of center. All three outlets were approximately equidistant from the center, the report found.

"If viewers spent an equal amount of time watching Fox's 'Special Report' as ABC's 'World News' and NBC's 'Nightly News,' then they would receive a nearly perfectly balanced version of the news," said Milyo, an associate professor of economics and public affairs at the University of Missouri at Columbia.

Five news outlets " "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer," ABC's "Good Morning America," CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown," Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and the Drudge Report " were in a statistical dead heat in the race for the most centrist news outlet. Of the print media, USA Today was the most centrist.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 02:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Do you know who Bernard Goldberg is? He wrote "Bias," and it's about the liberal bias of most of the most popular newscasters of our time including Dan Rather, Peter Jennings, and Eric Enberg.

Do you know why they have liberal bias? It's very simple; they think it's normal and not biased. They all believe they are not biased.

Read the book; it's very enlightening.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 02:25 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

The big difference is what Maher and Oberman (sic) say is unassailable.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 02:59 pm
@georgeob1,
Well, many smiles are better than proving the point.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Well, many smiles are better than proving the point.

I don't think the burden of proof is on me in this case - unless, of course you also believe that what Maher and Oberman say is obviously "unassailable" .
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:39 pm
@georgeob1,
No; I'm not saying they are unassailable, but I would think who questions their rhetoric are the ones who would have to prove them to be otherwise.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:48 pm
@georgeob1,
I have not seen where you have shown them wrong on anything.

Basically, over the past eight years, they opposed just about everything Bush and the right were doing. Of course, the latter prevailed, essentially bringing our country to its knees.
ican711nm

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 05:03 pm
Please remind me when ABC CBS NBC MSNBC NYT LAT BG cited failures of the Democrats to take timely action to correct the 2FM mortgage problem.

SOME OF THE HISTORY OF THE DECLINE OF THE USA’s FINANCE INDUSTRY

*04/…."Bush declares that the size of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is a potential large financial problem because financial trouble of a large "GSE (i.e., Government Sponsored Enterprise) could cause strong repercussions in financial markets."

*09/11"New York Times says, "Bush recommends the most significant regulatory overhaul in the housing finance industry since the savings and loan crisis a decade ago."
*09/25--Barney Frank responds, "Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do very good work, and they are not endangering the fiscal health of this country … I believe there has been more alarm raised about potential unsafety and unsoundness than, in fact, exists."

*06/16"Samuel Bodman, Deputy Secretary of Treasury, repeats Bush Administration call "for a new, first class, regulatory supervisor for three housing GSEs: Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Federal Home Loan Banking System.
*10/06"Franklin Raines, Fannie Mae CEO, testifies before the House Financial Services Committee, "assets are so riskless that the capital for holding them should be under two percent. "

*05/25"Senator John McCain calls for GSE regulatory reform legislation, warning: "If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system and the economy as a whole.”

*08/09" President Bush requests Congress pass a reform package for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
*12/06" President Bush warns Congress of need to pass legislation reforming GSEs.

*03/14"At Economic Club of New York, President Bush requests Congress take action and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
*04/14"President Bush issues a plea to Congress to pass legislation reforming Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
*05/03"President Bush issues a plea to Congress to pass legislation reforming Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
*05/19"President Bush issues a plea to Congress to pass legislation reforming Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
*05/31"President Bush issues a plea to Congress to pass legislation reforming Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
*06/06"President Bush issues a plea to Congress to pass legislation reforming Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
*07/11"Senator Chris Dodd says: "There’s sort of a panic going on today, and that’s not what ought to be. The facts don’t warrant that reaction, in my opinion … Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were never bottom feeders in the residential mortgage market. People ought to feel comfortable about that. "
*09/16"Nancy Pelosi is asked if the Democrats bear some responsibility for the current crisis on Wall Street. Pelosi answers, "No. "
*09/17"Harry Reid regarding the economic collapse: "No one knows what to do."
*09/29"Initial TARP [The Asset Relief Program] version doesn’t pass the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives.
*10/03"Three days later TARP is passed after about $112 billion is added.
*12/18"President-elect Obama hints at an $800 billion to $1 trillion stimulus plan within his first month of office, and the Dow drops another 2.5 percent.

*02/10"Treasury Secretary Tim Geitner unveils the Administration’s $2 trillion TARP II plan, and the Dow drops 382 points, or 4.6 percent
*02/17"President Obama signs a $787 billion bailout bill.
*02/18" President Obama reveals his mortgage bailout plan.
*02/19"Rick Santelli says in an impromptu speech on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange: "The government is promoting bad behavior … How many of you people want to pay for your neighbor’s mortgage? President Obama are you listening?" Santelli calls for a "Chicago Tea Party."
*02/20"The market falls as Chris Dodd, chairman of the Senate Banking Committee floats the idea of nationalizing the nation’s banks. The White House issues a denial, and the Dow ends down 100 points. The Dow is down now more than 800 points"nearly 10 percent"from the day before President Obama’s inauguration.
*02/21"Soros [whose representatative claimed several years ago that Soros owned the Democrat Party] says, "The financial crisis marks end of a free-market model."
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 06:10 pm
GEORGE SOROS in his 1995 book, page 145, [I]Soros on Soros[/I], wrote:
I do not accept the rules imposed by others. If I did, I would not be alive today. I am a law-abiding citizen, but I recognize that there are regimes that need to be opposed rather than accepted. And in periods of regime change, the normal rules don't apply. One needs to adjust one's behavior to the changing circumstances.

Michael Kaufman in his biography of George Soros, page 293, [I]Soros [/I], wrote:
My goal is to become the conscience of the world

GEORGE SOROS in his 2000 book, page 337, [I]Open Society[/I], wrote:
Usually it takes a crisis to prompt a meaningful change in direction.

GEORGE SOROS in the Washington Post, page A03 of November 11, 2003, wrote:
Ousting Bush from the White House is the central focus of my life. It's a matter of life and death.

GEORGE SOROS in the 2003 edition of his book, page 15, [I]The Alchemy of Finance[/I], wrote:
My greatest fear is that the Bush Doctrine will succeed--that Bush will crush the terrorists, tame the rogue states of the axis of evil, and usher in a golden age of American supremacy. American supremacy is flawed and bound to fail in the long run.

What I am afraid of is that the pursuit of American supremacy may be successful for a while because the United States in fact employs a dominant position in the world today.

GEORGE SOROS in his 2004 book, page 159, [I]The Bubble of American Supremacy[/I], wrote:
The principles of the Declaration of Independence are not self-evident truths but arrangements necessitated by our inherently imperfect understanding.

Quote:
In April 2005 the Soros funded Campus Progress web site posted this headline: "An Invitation to Help Design the Constitution in 2020" (This was an invitation to a Yale law School Conference on "The Constitution of 2020: a progressive vision of what the Constitution ought to be.")

Sam Hananel in his associated Press article, December 10, 2004, wrote:
On December 9, 2004, Eli Pariser, who headed Soros's group Moveon PAC, boasted to his members, "Now the Democratic Party is our party. We bought it, we own it."

Quote:
Soros … pushed for the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 which was intended to ban "soft money" contributions to federal election campaigns. Soros has responded that his donations to unaffiliated organizations do not raise the same corruption issues as donations directly to the candidates or political parties.

Quote:
Soros gave $3 million to the Center for American Progress, committed $5 million to MoveOn, while he and his friend Peter Lewis each gave America Coming Together $10 million. (All were groups that worked to support Democrats in the 2004 election.) On September 28, 2004 he dedicated more money to the campaign and kicked off his own multi-state tour with a speech: Why We Must Not Re-elect President Bush[19] delivered at the National Press Club in Washington, DC.

0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 06:15 pm
HOW SHALL WE SAVE OUR CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC?

The solution is not to repeatedly sound alarms and repeatedly give the reasons for those alarms. The solution is to impeach President Obama. He is continually transferring wealth from those who lawfully earned it to those who have not earned it.

Nowhere in the Constitution"not even in Article I. Section 8.--has the President, the Congress, or the Judiciary been granted the power to make such wealth transfers. Any branch of the federal government that makes such wealth transfers violates the "supreme law of the land," and their "oath or affirmation to support this Constitution""Article VI. Making such wealth transfers is exercising "powers not delegated to the United States" and therefore violates the Constitution"Amendment X. Making such wealth transfers is an act of treason against the United States and is "adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort" "Article III. Section 3.

We have to convince those in the House of Representatives, who do not violate their oaths to support the Constitution, to make a motion to impeach President Obama. Failure--or excessive delay--to take this necessary first step will guarantee the transformation of our country from a Constitutional Republic to a dictatorship.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 06:24 pm
What transfer of wealth? You only embarass yourself with this line of bs.

T
K
O
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 07:15 pm
@Foxfyre,
RE The American Form of Government:

http://www.wimp.com/thegovernment/

Foxfyre, thanks...again

JM
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 07:46 pm
@Advocate,
Ann Coulter musings of Keith Olbermann:

Quote:
"Fortunately, we have Keith Olbermann to point out that Rush Limbaugh did not accurately quote the preamble to the Constitution in his CPAC speech last weekend. I'm not sure what scam Olbermann imagined Rush was trying to put over on the American people by saying conservatives believed in the "preamble to the Constitution" and then quoting words from the Declaration of Independence -- but Olbermann put an end to that cruel deception!

These small-time opportunities to show off by correcting someone else's teeny-tiny mistakes are the lifeblood of Olbermann's MSNBC show, "Countdown." Olbermann is no more capable of not correcting Rep. Charlie Rangel when he said "inferred," but meant "implied," than an obsessive compulsive could pass a sink without washing his hands.

There is utterly no purpose to these lame "gotchas," except that Olbermann is so desperately insecure that he is willing to waste valuable airtime in order to convince other status-conscious idiots that he is, like, scary-smart.

Olbermann relentlessly attacked low-level Bush administration employee Monica Goodling for not going to a name-dropping college, saying -- approximately 1 million times -- that she got her law degree "by sending 100 box tops to Religious Lunatic University."

I would venture to say that the students at Goodling's law school at Regent University are far more impressive than those at the Cornell agriculture school -- the land-grant, non-Ivy League school Keith attended.

I wouldn't mention it, except that Olbermann savages anyone who didn't go to an impressive college. As it happens, he didn't go to an impressive college, either.

If you've ever watched any three nights of his show, you know that Olbermann went to Cornell. But he always forgets to mention that he went to the school that offers classes in milking and bovine management.

Indeed, Keith is constantly lying about his nonexistent "Ivy League" education, boasting to Playboy magazine, for example: "My Ivy League education taught me how to cut corners, skim books and take an idea and write 15 pages on it, and also how to work all day at the Cornell radio station and never actually go to class."

Except Keith didn't go to the Ivy League Cornell; he went to the Old MacDonald Cornell.

The real Cornell, the School of Arts and Sciences (average SAT: 1,325; acceptance rate: 1 in 6 applicants), is the only Ivy League school at Cornell and the only one that grants a Bachelor of Arts degree.

Keith went to an affiliated state college at Cornell, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (average SAT: about that of pulling guards at the University of South Carolina; acceptance rate: 1 of every 1.01 applicants).

Olbermann's incessant lying about having an "Ivy League education" when he went to the non-Ivy League ag school at Cornell would be like a graduate of the Yale locksmithing school boasting about being a "Yale man."

Among the graduates of the Ivy League Cornell are Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Thomas Pynchon, Paul Wolfowitz, E.B. White, Sanford I. Weill, Floyd Abrams, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Ginsburg, Janet Reno, Henry Heimlich and Harold Bloom.

Graduates of the ag school include David LeNeveu of the Anaheim Ducks, Mitch Carefoot of the Phoenix RoadRunners, Darren Eliot, former professional hockey player, and Joe Nieuwendyk, multiple Stanley Cup winner.

One begins to understand why Harvard students threw a chicken on the ice during Cornell's famous rout of Harvard at a 1973 hockey game.

If you actually want to pursue a career related to agriculture, there is no better school than the Cornell ag school. I have nothing but admiration for the farmers and aspiring veterinarians at the ag school. They didn't go there just to have "Cornell" on their resumes.

In addition to the farmers, there are some smart kids who go to the ag school -- as there are at all state universities. But most people who majored in "communications" at an ag school don't act like Marshall Scholars or go around mocking graduates of Regent University Law School.

The sort of insecurity that would force you to always say "trebled" instead of "tripled" could only come from a communications major with massive status anxiety, like Keith. Without even looking it up, I am confident that Harvard, Yale and Princeton do not offer degrees in "communications." I know there is no "communications" major at the Ivy League Cornell.

"Communications" is a major, along with "recreation science," most commonly associated with linemen at USC. But at least the linemen can throw a football, which Keith cannot because his mother decided he was not physically robust enough to play outdoors as a child.

It may seem cruel to reveal the true college of someone who already wakes up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat worried that he's a fraud. But I believe that by pointing out that Olbermann actually is a fraud, I am liberating him.

You may not realize it now, Keith, but you will look back on this day and say, "That was the best thing that ever happened to me!"

Finally, you can stop pretending that you went to the hard-to-get-into Cornell.

Now you won't have to quickly change the subject whenever people idly remark that they didn't know it was possible to major in "communications" at an Ivy League school.

No longer will you have to aggressively bring up Cornell when it has nothing to do with the conversation.

Relax, Keith. Now you can let people like you for you."

JM

ican711nm

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 08:12 pm
The OILs (Obama Invidious Liberals) are giving rapidly increasing amounts of federal government money to those who have not earned it!

That money was either originally received by the federal government as tax revenue paid by those who lawfully earned it, or it is borrowed by the federal government from those who lawfully earned it. Either way, it is a transfer of wealth from those who lawfully earned it to those who did not earn it. AND either way, it is an exercise of power by the federal government not granted the federal government by the Constitution of the United States. It is therefore a violation of the Constitution of the United States and is a crime.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 08:45 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

She just called cicerone imposter a troll and an idiot. Yet, she claims that she never uses ad hominems.

Of course neither you nor Cicerone has ever been known to use insulting or abusive language towards another poster here !

Indeed overall I believe she is less insulting towards others than either of you.

Stop kissing her ass, george. She's the most condescending person on the boards. If you ever challenge her idiotic and hypocritical statements, she'll be calling you a troll and a idiot too.

Debra, Foxfyre is one of the most decent and polite posters on this forum. If you started in earnest now, you could possibly earn a small measure of her class.
okie

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

There was one test where, under highly contrived conditions, a missile intercepted a target. The target missile had to emit an electronic beacon in order for the interceptor missile to track it. It was, in other words, much like a hunt where all the animals are tethered to the ground. Under those circumstances, even Dick Cheney could have shot his quota without bagging a few lawyers in the bargain.

The subject is fairly complex, and several technologies have sprung out of SDI, or Star Wars, but many more than one test have been carried out, many successful, to the point of actual deployment now of missile defense systems. The following article is just one example of alot of information out there, Joe, and this articl is more than a year old, and at that time, this was the 7th successful test of that system.

The truth is that the technology is real, it is being perfected, and it is crucial to our defense system, and is no more a boondoggle than liberals cling to want to believe, because the results do not evidence their original predictions. Liberals wanted Reagan to be wrong and to fail, but Reagan has been proven right, and will continue to be.

Again, the following from an article more than a year old, and more tests and technologies are right now being worked on, tested, and perfected.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSWBT00766220070929

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. interceptor missile on Friday shot down a dummy warhead replicating an incoming North Korean missile in the seventh successful test of Boeing Co's long-range missile shield, the Pentagon said.