AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

okie

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It is hardly nonsense to suggest that the Nazis were more aligned with the Progressive movement of the time than any corresponding conservative model.
Not at all nonsense when they did some of the same stuff and proposed many similar programs as progressives do today, right here in this country, Finn. Read the Time Magazine article about Hitler in my above post, which describes Hitler's public works programs and other initiatives. Also, it is striking that Hitler tolerated capitalism, private property rights, and other conservative ideals, only as long as they bowed at the foot of the state. It was more a toleration of limited conservative practices than it was promotion of them. Only as long as they served the State were they tolerated and used. That was the definition of Fascism, of which Nazism was one form of.

Quote:
It would be nonsense to equate German Nazis with American Progressives, but I don't think okie has done so.
I think we would be ignoring reality and history if we do not see some similarities, Finn. The pitfall here in making the comparison is of course the misguided assumption by some that we are comparing today's progressives in this country to the evil brutality of a man like Hitler. That is not the purpose of the comparison. Nobody could compare to Hitler in that way, and I have always been careful to point that out. The comparison is regarding political and economic policies.

It has not been my practice on a daily basis or even weekly basis, but I think I might have mentioned a time or two that Obama's policies were dangerously close to some Fascist policies. I am not the first to notice that, Finn, as I am sure you would know. Simply enter Obama and Fascist in the search engine and up comes over a million hits on Google, and some of the articles are substantive, certainly not all kookville.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:20 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Bingo, George. Right there you disagree with your own previous assertions. Conservatives do not do what you just described. In fact, what you just described, protecting property rights and individual rights except when it was not convenient is strikingly close to today's progressives right here in this country, including Obama himself. Would you call that conservative or right wing. I would not.

Wow! If anyone can make sense of this, either from logical, political or grammatical perspective, you win $1!

Conservatives do not protect property rights?

Why, then, do conservatives guard their property with guns, if not to protect it?

And what is their objection to RomneyCare-made-over-as-ObamaCare other than property rights?

And, this is from a man who hates Communists no matter what size C is used?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
george won a wooden nickel.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:26 pm
@plainoldme,
It's easier and healthier to ignore you.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:36 pm
@H2O MAN,
Then stop lying and do it. Jesus Christ on a raft! Do you think I enjoy your fifth grade comments? You have to be a landmark arrested development case!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:42 pm
@okie,
I asked you a clearly stated direct question. You have chosen not to answer it. Instead you have continued to select convenient fragments from coherently expressed thoughts and weave them into yet another circular, illogical return to an equally conveniently selected theme of yours. There is no point to this exercise and I am not interested in the game. I will not reply to any further posts.
okie

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:49 pm
@georgeob1,
George, I honestly do not remember what you think was your clearly stated direct question that you are talking about now. I remember asking you some questions that I thought were necessary to clarify some of your debate points, which might have included your question you refer to now? I honestly don't know now what question you are referring to. Can you restate your question? I am not trying to avoid any of your questions.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:51 pm
@okie,
Gee, okie, can't you understand simple English? He's tired of your games-playing as we all are. He wrote:
Quote:
I will not reply to any further posts.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:59 pm
@okie,
I have no idea why you mistreat george's efforts to help you. He's done this several times within the past year and you have been rude to him every time. What is wrong with you that you are so lacking in social graces?
okie

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I read that statement, but I am hoping he rethinks it. I would consider it a copout if he quits. I do not play games here. I post honest opinions along with evidence to back them up. The way I see it, if you can't take the heat, you don't belong in the kitchen anyway.
BillW

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:05 pm
@plainoldme,
Neo Con
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:06 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I would consider it a copout if he quits. I do not play games here. I post honest opinions along with evidence to back them up. The way I see it, if you can't take the heat, you don't belong in the kitchen anyway.

It is not a copout. Why should george take your abuse? If you can honestly say that you don't play games, then you should be in an institution.

Can't take the heat? You can not still honestly think that anyone here -- with the exception of ican, who I believe is your sock puppet, and H2O man -- has any intellectual respect for you or finds you stimulating, you are more delusional than even I think you are.

How can you miss george's clear cut frustration? He thinks you are dumb. He thinks you can not argue.

I do not know whether george finds you rude, but, I do.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:08 pm
@BillW,
I'm sorry, Bill, but what is NeoCon in response to?

I just became so upset over okie's rudeness and denseness that I'm not able to figure out where NeoCon belongs.
okie

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:12 pm
@plainoldme,
I actually agree with one of your posts, pom!! Time to celebrate?

I don't agree that I am rude, but I do agree, I was trying to figure out the Neocon comment too. It came out of nowhere without any connection to anything.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:13 pm
@okie,
I will demonstrate the utmost in self-control by NOT offering a post as a sample. Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:18 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
What is wrong with you that you are so lacking in social graces?

NeoCon
okie

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:09 pm
I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why such a credible poster as Georgeob would choose to die on the hill of "Hitler was a conservative" argument. I thought you were far better than that, George? One last parting shot, what was the question you accused me of avoiding, and did you read the January 1939 Time Magazine Hitler Man of the Year for 1938 article that I posted more than once?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 09:14 pm
@BillW,
Ah, I just had a DUH! moment. Thank you! You are so right.

Try talking about Leo Strauss to okie. He never responds. Perhaps. okie is either ashamed of being a NeoCon or tries to make us think he isn't.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:44 am
okie says:
Quote:
Simply enter Obama and Fascist in the search engine and up comes over a million hits on Google.

Enter conservative and fascism in Google and you get 1,650,000 hits. If that's your criterion, okie, your conservative positions are clearly in the lead, fascism-wise.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 10:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It would be nonsense to equate German Nazis with American Progressives, but I don't think okie has done so.

Wrongo. This is the deep-seated heart of his entire discussion of the matter. This is exactly his aim - to show that Nazis were the equivalent of today's left.

Cycloptichorn