Fantastic! Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 05:29 am
I'm so glad that it's (mainly) good news! Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 05:48 am
Sorry to hear your car got stole and glad you got it back. Lucky, that - most probably don't get it back as intact. Sorry 'bout the repairs and the (probably) damage this will do to your overall peace of mind temporarily.

Hey, what's a shrinky dink whale?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:17 am
excellent news, 'k!
ya got yer wheels back...

Snood wrote:
Hey, what's a shrinky dink whale?

Quote:
The very first SHRINKY DINKS were sold on October 17, 1973 at Brookfield Square Shopping Mall in Brookfield Wisconsin. Since that time there has been over 250 different Toy Activity and Craft Kits created and marketed.

SHRINKY DINKS SHRINK to approximately 1/3rd their original size and actually become 9 times thicker. Simply place the SHRINKY DINKS piece you created into a Home Oven or Toaster Oven for 2 magic minutes. Watch as your creation gets smaller and smaller.
It's "MAGICAL" and it's so quick and easy to do!
http://www.shrinkydinks.com/
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:34 am
Littlek--

"Could have been worse" is lukewarm comfort, but....

At least spring is coming.

Come howl tomorrow night. Requests for vengeance will be considered--although not necessarily granted.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 07:25 am
Hey, that sounds like one of best possible outcomes!

So it wasn't exactly neat-freak, good-driving joyriders, but it sounds like you can fix the car for WAY less than it would cost to get a whole new one.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:41 am
Couldn't find you a whale, put maybe a doggie will do...

http://www.growingtreetoys.com/images/products/sm/004562.jpg

So glad to hear it isn't at bad as it could be. $300 s*cks, even so.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 03:39 pm
Thanks all! Looks like they found a used part for my car and will be able to install it for $215-225 parts and labor. The guy at the shop told me, after I asked him, that the steering wheel locks are always bought with best intentions and that almost everyone stops using them after about a month. He suggested that I don't really need to lock the device for it to be effective, just put it in place - less hassle.

I kind of like username's chain link idea.....
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 03:57 pm
Glad you are getting sorted Smile
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 04:01 pm
username wrote:

I also went to Home Depot and got about seven feet of very heavy duty chain, which their chain-cutting machine almost blew a gsket cutting to length, plus the kind of padlock contractors use to lock up construction sites, and I chain the steering wheel to the seat, which looks pretty intimidating if you scope out the car.

You made me smile username, picturing my Dad.

He has always, when leaving the car overnight in our drive, turned the steering wheel all the way to the right (or left) and threaded a huge heavy duty chain like username describes above through it so that it is tight and not moveable. He then chains it to the bar directly under the drivers seat and uses that big ole padlock (just like usernames construction site locks). He has never had a car stolen - ever! And we lived in an area where kids would joy-ride and then burn-out the car. Every home in our area had their cars stolen several times, except my Dad. No-one could ever get that huge chain and lock off and gave up, just smashing a window in frustration every now and then.

BTW he would put a tea-towel around the area of the steering wheel that the chain came in contact with because it was very rough on the leather of the steering wheel (leaves a mark)!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:43 pm
Certainly seems like heavy chain would be the cheapest and most variable security system.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:33 pm
not to mention the coolest. you'll be the badass at school.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:37 am
Or you could keep a rabid badger in your car at all times.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:53 am
I've been thinking about the chain. Wouldn't all that weight on the steering wheel/column be damaging?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:59 pm
I don't think so, the column is pretty sturdy. Having a ton of keys on your keychain can be damaging to your ignition, though.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 03:30 am
kris, my guess is my chain only weighs maybe ten or twelve pounds, not all that heavy a load. I'll try to remember to bring it in and put it on a scale.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:21 am
The other end of the chain-loop attaches to what? The frame of the driver's seat?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:32 am
littlek wrote:
The other end of the chain-loop attaches to what?

the nuts of whoever stole your car (assuming they're male), then you go driving and make lots of quick sharp turns

glad things worked out as well as they did

a buddy of mine had two vehicles stolen and both times they were damaged beyond repair (one was set on fire)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:40 am
twice!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:23 am
My daughter had her car stolen twice, and got it back badly damaged, but not totalled. Then, a flood lifted the car off the pavement enough to move it several feet. Naturally, the insurance company was irate. It was inferred by at least one agent she and I were responsible. Turns out, there were some men stripping down a Honda of the same model, in an open field one night. They shot a police officer, but were arrested. They were serial Honda thieves, and they lived right next door to my daughter. I am certain they took her car, but it was never established by the law. Our insurance shot up to over $400 a month, until we separated our accounts and went with a new company.
0 Replies