My Car Was Stolen

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:44 pm
Lil'K, if they can't find one, PM me. I can get ya one and ship it there quick.

You are TOO lucky, girlfriend.

The first beer is on me, put it on my tab...

RH
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:46 pm
Isn't it funny, Rockhead? I do feel lucky and someone just stole my car and cost me somewhere around 300 bucks (with the impound and tow fees).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:47 pm
littlek wrote:

So, how effective are the steering wheel lock bars?

They are a good deterrent, every thief likes an easy hit and most crimes are one of opportunity.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:48 pm
Might be more cost-efficient for me. Though I'll look into theft insurance as well.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:53 pm
I'm glad you got your car back, littlek. (I just now discovered this thread)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:56 pm
Green Witch wrote:
littlek wrote:

So, how effective are the steering wheel lock bars?

They are a good deterrent, every thief likes an easy hit and most crimes are one of opportunity.

They are a pain in the butt to put on and take off all the time, maybe just use it when you park at night.

(Hi Gus}
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:14 pm
Glad they found your wheels, girl.
Coulda been worse, I guess.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:23 pm
Whew! sorta, kinda....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:31 pm
Whew, considering alternatives.

I was in an accident with a totalled car (fine, thank you, but I avoid many though not all left turns, and I was definitely not at fault, 2 separate witnesses, but only had liability also.) Which is why I drove my deceased father in law's chevy citation for some years. Don't get me started...

Good luck in working fixing the car out, K.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:33 pm
Sorry to hear about your shrinky-dink whale, littlek.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:41 pm
Glad you got your car back. Having a vehicle stolen sucks.

Mine was stolen in Canada. Not only had to deal with all the crap associated with having a car stolen, but how to get home from Canada!

Leaves you with an awful feeling of being violated.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:44 pm
I went through disorientation and lethargy yesterday and elation and giddiness today. When I get the car back, I'll feel violation, I imagine.

I'm surprised how often cars get stolen.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:52 pm
I'm glad there wasn't too much damage, lil'k...

When I saw my car had been broken into, my first reaction was shock. Then dismay. Then I was ticked off. I had to calm down before I drove it home, but I didn't feel right about it until it was fixed.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:53 pm
littlek wrote:
Isn't it funny, Rockhead? I do feel lucky and someone just stole my car and cost me somewhere around 300 bucks (with the impound and tow fees).

it's all relative.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:15 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
littlek wrote:

it's all relative.

Don't get me started on relatives!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:17 pm
You took my punchline, but that's fitting.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:19 pm
littlek wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
littlek wrote:

it's all relative.

Don't get me started on relatives!

snort. they get severe black points for this one. wait, do 'black points' make sense here? you get the idea. they're fired.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:27 pm
black point only make sense in context with pirates here. brownie points are good. So, maybe black marks?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 11:44 pm
well, we used to get red points (good) and black points (bad) for things like behavior at school. so i hereby officially give them a soviet-style black point, for whatever it's worth.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 03:17 am
kris, so glad you got it back. I've had four cars stolen(well, three actual cars--one was stolen twice) in Cambridge, and got them all back, fortunately with almost no damage to the car, but my luck's gotta run out someday. Two stereos stolen as well. Someone, probably one person, stole stuff out of the latest car three times over the course of a year--I have no idea how they did it with no damage, but they did. The last time they stole the car too, and left it open with whatever they didn't take piled outside it, in Somerville. Someone thought that was odd and called the Somerville cops, who traced the license and called me before I'd even seen it was gone.

So I've actually started using one of the Club steering wheel locks I'd had but didn't use because they're a pain, as someone above said. But by about the twentieth time you've put it on, you figure out the best way to do it, how to actually fit it around all the stuff on the wheel, and from then on it gets much easier to deal with. I don't know about what the insurance companies give you discounts for with the new state insurance system, but they used to give you 5% off or so if you used an approved model. It'd be worth it to check.

I also went to Home Depot and got about seven feet of very heavy duty chain, which their chain-cutting machine almost blew a gsket cutting to length, plus the kind of padlock contractors use to lock up construction sites, and I chain the steering wheel to the seat, which looks pretty intimidating if you scope out the car.

So far they've worked. No one has done anything to the car in the last year. The Club-ish lock was about twenty bucks ten years or so ago. The chain and lock I think ran about $30. Fairly inexpensive deterrents. I think comprehensive covers theft, and it's probably a good investment if you've got a Honda. They're unfortunately theft magnets, cause they're good cars. But $300 damage is probably below the deductible.

That empty disbelieving feeling you get when you come out and the car's missing really sucks. Glad it turned out not totally awful.
0 Replies