Born-Again Christians: Most annoying people on the planet?

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 02:27 am
Arella Mae wrote:
..I do talk about God a lot throughout the day, whether it be relating something God has done for me or just saying Thank you Jesus! Then, if someone wants to discuss it we do. If they say nothing about it, neither do I.

So you're sort of wandering around talking to yourself about the wonders of your god? Then, if anyone wants to join in, they can? Is that how it goes?

Reminds me of a co-worker I once had the misfortune to share an office with. At any opportunity she would rave on (& on! & on! Shocked ) about how utterly brilliant, in every way, her off-spring where! Genius material! After a bit of eye rolling we'd all slink off, one by one, having discovered something that urgently needed doing - elsewhere!

Bores are bores, no matter what their particular fixation happens to be.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 03:00 am
real life wrote:

What is socially acceptable is a thing called 'free speech'.

So I can walk up to a very busty woman and comment on her breasts? I can very factually describe their size or shape? This is a protected statement?

No. It would be harassment. It's not protected.

The fact is that rights come with responsibilities. The freedom to speech does not protect everything.

The boundaries of those right usually align with the point when the infringe on other's rights.
real life wrote:

Other people don't need your permission to speak their mind.

No they don't. They should be mature enough to recognize their responsibility to exercise free speech in a respectful manner.

Soliciting people about Christianity is not nessisary to promote christianity. If Christianity is as truthful as it claims, then people would request to learn about it on their own. I know these people exist.

Why should a Christian's desire to spread their religion be more important than my right to privacy?
real life wrote:

And they don't need your approval of the content , nor your guidance on what is respectful.

They certainly don't need my approval, which is good for them. They wouldn't have it. As for what is respectful, don't make me laugh. If an atheist or any other religion tries to level the playing field, Christian pop out of the floor boards talking about moral decay or try and promote some idea of a war on Christianity.

If atheists or muslims were going door to door, I doubt you'd be cheering for free speech. What about schools? I'm sure you'd be super cool with an atheist student telling a christian student that their beliefs were wrong. I'm sure you'd be a champion of free speech then.
real life wrote:

If you really believed in the moral relativism you espouse, you'd let them decide these things for themselves without input from you.

Surely you jest.

If you believed in the moral absolutism you espouse, you'd be acting more inline with the bible, and when you weren't you'd be ready to answer to your insolence.

I think you're failing to meet your quota of child murders. Insolent children are supposed to be stoned yes?

I'd bet that the bible has outlined a few separate times when your wife would have more than qualified for a good ole perfectly acceptable public stoning.

You're a fraud. You talk a big game, but you've never thrown a single stone.

I may not be able to provide that my moral compass compass show true north better than yours, but I can damn well say that I follow mine.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:00 am
msolga wrote:
So you're sort of wandering around talking to yourself about the wonders of your god? Then, if anyone wants to join in, they can? Is that how it goes?

Reminds me of a co-worker I once had the misfortune to share an office with. At any opportunity she would rave on (& on! & on! Shocked ) about how utterly brilliant, in every way, her off-spring where! Genius material! After a bit of eye rolling we'd all slink off, one by one, having discovered something that urgently needed doing - elsewhere!

Bores are bores, no matter what their particular fixation happens to be.

Good Lord woman! No, I don't wander around talking to myself. Geesh! If I am discussing something with someone and something comes up in the conversation about what is going on in my life and I mention that I attribute it to God is about as far as I go with the conversation unless the other person gives some indication they are interested.

I don't know why so many people want to paint believers in the light of "out there mentally". I do happen to be a rather intelligent and educated person. :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:11 am
msolga wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
..I do talk about God a lot throughout the day, whether it be relating something God has done for me or just saying Thank you Jesus! Then, if someone wants to discuss it we do. If they say nothing about it, neither do I.

Well, I guess what Arella Mae says above could be said for myself as well. I speak on God quite often, just in general conversation. Let me think of an example...A friend may ask "So how was your day?" and I'll give a running account and then, "By the grace of God I got everything done" or "Thank God there was no heavy traffic" or "God got me through another wacko day". In my circle, no one would question a personal belief that God is present in everyday life, every minute, every second, whether they believe it or not. If they don't believe, the comment floats right passed them and the conversation continues. I've yet to meet another adult RUDE enough to question me about it. A child I might take the time to explain it to. An adult ought to know better.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:12 am
In all my time of interviewing, hiring and working with people, I've never once come across anyone that asked whether it was okay to talk about God at work. Never. And nobody has ever mentioned religion at my work places. I find it strange to even consider the concept.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:21 am
I had a valued employee who used to regularly express her faith while at work (sort of along the lines of how eoe describes it). Comments floated and conversations continued until she started a regular blessing of thanking God that we have a Christian in the White House. I had to nix the political stuff :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:35 am
JPB wrote:
...until she started a regular blessing of thanking God that we have a Christian in the White House. I had to nix the political stuff :wink:

And I'd be the first one to hold her feet to the fire on that one. My S-I-L held the same opinion and I asked her once why she thought George Bush was a Christian? Because he SAYS so??? I added what my mother had always told me. "Action speaks louder than words". And then I left it alone. I've known far too many so-called Christians who aren't even on their best behavior while inside the church so saying that you're a Christian means absolutely nothing to me. I have to see that, by your actions and the way you treat your fellow human being, to believe such a claim.

But I digress...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:15 am
Diest TKO wrote:

I may not be able to provide that my moral compass compass show true north better than yours, but I can damn well say that I follow mine.

No, you don't.

If all moral judgements are individually derived, what business have you telling ANYBODY what they should do or think regarding ANY matter?

Why don't you let them figure it out for themselves as you profess?

You don't believe in moral relativism, you are a moral absolutist.

YOUR way is right, others are wrong. That is your true position. Why can't you admit it?

If you want to prove that you are a true moral relativist, then cease telling others what they should do and how they should think.

If others want your input they'll ask for it. Same thing you told me.

Practice what you preach.

Show me.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:31 am
eoe wrote:
JPB wrote:
...until she started a regular blessing of thanking God that we have a Christian in the White House. I had to nix the political stuff :wink:

And I'd be the first one to hold her feet to the fire on that one. My S-I-L held the same opinion and I asked her once why she thought George Bush was a Christian? Because he SAYS so??? I added what my mother had always told me. "Action speaks louder than words". And then I left it alone. I've known far too many so-called Christians who aren't even on their best behavior while inside the church so saying that you're a Christian means absolutely nothing to me. I have to see that, by your actions and the way you treat your fellow human being, to believe such a claim.

But I digress...

In general, the only POTUS in the past 50 years that lived a Christian life, is cursed as an example of a failed POTUS by those that call themselves Christians.

Rap
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:58 am
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

No, you don't.

If all moral judgements are individually derived, what business have you telling ANYBODY what they should do or think regarding ANY matter?

YOUR way is right, others are wrong. That is your true position. Why can't you admit it?

If you want to prove that you are a true moral relativist, then cease telling others what they should do and how they should think.

Show me.

I may not be able to hold you to my standard, but I can sure as hell hold you to your own. That is true independant of the belief in moral absolutism or moral relativism.

All I'm saying is that my beliefs are more congruent with my actions.

You are arguing yourself into a corner RL. I'm not telling you to adopt my standard, I'm challenging you to live by yours. You fail.

T
K
O
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:06 am
raprap wrote:
eoe wrote:
JPB wrote:

But I digress...

In general, the only POTUS in the past 50 years that lived a Christian life, is cursed as an example of a failed POTUS by those that call themselves Christians.

Rap

I'm forever amazed by Christian self-determination as to who gets to be in the club.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:12 am
Re: Born-Again Christians: Most annoying people on the plane
kickycan wrote:
....they still make a cake and have everybody sing "happy birthday" to Jesus on Christmas...
come on be serious nobody does that.

really?

Laughing Laughing thanks

p.s. many commiserations
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:20 pm
Mame wrote:
In all my time of interviewing, hiring and working with people, I've never once come across anyone that asked whether it was okay to talk about God at work. Never. And nobody has ever mentioned religion at my work places. I find it strange to even consider the concept.

Years ago, I was being interviewed for a job and the boss explained sheepishly that many of the employees in the office used profanity and used the Lord's name in vain on a regular basis and asked if that was ok with me. He was one of the prime offenders as well, he admitted.

It was a strange interview , especially since he wasn't offering to do anything about it, just giving me a 'heads up' as it were.

I think he was afraid of getting sued for a hostile work environment, which happened anyway about a year and a half later due to sexual harrassment charges against him. He was dismissed after over 20 years managing his department; and the company had modeled similar departments in over 20 states on the system he had put into place.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:31 pm
raprap wrote:
eoe wrote:
JPB wrote:

But I digress...

Rap

Nonsense.

Several Presidents have been Christians in the past 50 years.

Jimmy Carter was the first to run for office touting the fact. Perhaps that's why Dems hate Christians so, because although he was an honorable person, he was an inept President and embarrassed them greatly. He caused the loss of the White House for the next 12 years.

Christians are not the only ones who acknowledge Carter's failed performance. Not by a long shot.

Anyone old enough to remember double digit interest rates, rampant inflation and soaring unemployment of the late '70s will tell you what a lousy job he did.

After being touted by the media as unbelievably smart, a master of detail , blah blah (the same things we heard about Clinton I, the same things we used to hear about Clinton II) , Carter showed that he wasn't up to the job.

It was after Watergate, so Dems figured ANYone should be able to win the WH in 1976. They were so careless and 'looking for an outsider' to fix the Washington mess. This led them to send an inexperienced but likable fellow to do the job.

Sound familiar?

'Present' Obama is the new Jimmy Carter -- likable, but inept. An 'outsider' who can fix Washington. And after the Iraq war, ANY Democrat ought to be able to win, right?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:36 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

No, you don't.

Show me.

I may not be able to hold you to my standard, but I can sure as hell hold you to your own. That is true independant of the belief in moral absolutism or moral relativism.

You are arguing yourself into a corner RL. I'm not telling you to adopt my standard, I'm challenging you to live by yours. You fail.

T
K
O

My standard allows me to tell others that what they do is wrong. (Some would say it's even required.)

Yours doesn't because 'right' and 'wrong' are individually determined.

Yet you persist in telling others how wrong they are.

I am consistent. You are not.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:04 pm
real life wrote:
Mame wrote:

Years ago, I was being interviewed for a job and the boss explained sheepishly that many of the employees in the office used profanity and used the Lord's name in vain on a regular basis and asked if that was ok with me. He was one of the prime offenders as well, he admitted.

It was a strange interview , especially since he wasn't offering to do anything about it, just giving me a 'heads up' as it were.

I think he was afraid of getting sued for a hostile work environment, which happened anyway about a year and a half later due to sexual harrassment charges against him. He was dismissed after over 20 years managing his department; and the company had modeled similar departments in over 20 states on the system he had put into place.

So what's your point?

That's not talking about religion or God at work.

Somehow, I have a hard time believing the man actually used the words "many of us use the lords name in vain"

More likely he said something like "we curse/swear alot here"

True, he was just giving you the heads up, bluntly giving you the opportunity to say you wouldn't fit in. I have to admire him for that.

The person they ended up hiring, when told about the swearing, probably said something like "Well, I don't give a ****"

you're really stretching now real life.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:15 pm
Since you didn't have anything to say, Chai, why didn't you stick with it?

What you have a 'hard time believing' is irrelevant and what you 'think the person they hired probably said' is wrong.

Your admiration of the sexual harrasser/enabler of a hostile work environment is rather curious, but I'm not curious enough to ask you more about it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:42 pm
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

No, you don't.

Show me.

T
K
O

My standard allows me to tell others that what they do is wrong. (Some would say it's even required.)

Yours doesn't because 'right' and 'wrong' are individually determined.

Yet you persist in telling others how wrong they are.

I am consistent. You are not.

I don't spend time telling others how they are right and wrong. I spend time evaluating other's ethics. Morals and ethics are not one and the same. You also believe that law is forged on morality. I contend that law is designed with respect to order, not morality. You confuse the two.

Murder isn't illegal because it is "wrong," it's illegal because murder creates social disorder. If law was based on right and wrong, then vigilante justice would be justified. The idea of an "eye for an eye" is not upheld in our society despite it's position on the moral continuum according to Christian mythology.

Your standards allow you to tell other that they are wrong? Sure. It allows you to tell them that statement, but it doesn't mean it's true. You can tell a homosexual that they are immoral, but it doesn't mean it's true.

Being able to tell someone that they are wrong does not define a moral standard. I reject the notion outright.

You're not being consistent, and you're not up to the challenge. It's obvious.

T
K
O
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:53 pm
real life wrote:
raprap wrote:
eoe wrote:
JPB wrote:

But I digress...

Rap

Nonsense.

Several Presidents have been Christians in the past 50 years.

Jimmy Carter was the first to run for office touting the fact. Perhaps that's why Dems hate Christians so, because although he was an honorable person, he was an inept President and embarrassed them greatly. He caused the loss of the White House for the next 12 years.

Christians are not the only ones who acknowledge Carter's failed performance. Not by a long shot.

Anyone old enough to remember double digit interest rates, rampant inflation and soaring unemployment of the late '70s will tell you what a lousy job he did.

After being touted by the media as unbelievably smart, a master of detail , blah blah (the same things we heard about Clinton I, the same things we used to hear about Clinton II) , Carter showed that he wasn't up to the job.

It was after Watergate, so Dems figured ANYone should be able to win the WH in 1976. They were so careless and 'looking for an outsider' to fix the Washington mess. This led them to send an inexperienced but likable fellow to do the job.

Sound familiar?

'Present' Obama is the new Jimmy Carter -- likable, but inept. An 'outsider' who can fix Washington. And after the Iraq war, ANY Democrat ought to be able to win, right?

From what I interperate you're equating Bush II to the failure of Nixon?

BTW I said "Lived the Christian Life." None of the other so called professed Christians has walked the walk.

Perhaps Gandhi hit yhe nail on the head
Quote:
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Rap
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 02:30 pm
real life wrote:
Since you didn't have anything to say, Chai, why didn't you stick with it?

What you have a 'hard time believing' is irrelevant and what you 'think the person they hired probably said' is wrong.

Your admiration of the sexual harrasser/enabler of a hostile work environment is rather curious, but I'm not curious enough to ask you more about it.

how do you know what the person they hired said? you weren't there.

real life, everything you say is irrelevant.

but, I would like to talk to you about something I've discovered in my personal life, that I'd like to share with you. I feel so good about it that I just can't seem to stop trying to help others like you, who are so lacking in this life affirmative way of life I've discovered.

you don't want to talk about it? ok, but first let me tell you how I found this wonderful way of living, I'm sure if you give it a try you'll be just as happy as I and others are, now that we know the right way.

oh...you don't want to try it? ok, but let me tell you what it involves, because once you hear about it all, you'll be thanking me. here, I have a book here where I can read you some of the most important ideas.

you don't want me to read to you? that's fine, because I live so close to this purpose I don't even need the book open to quote and explain long sections of it.

well now, I see you getting mad, that a sign that you really need a change in your life, why don't you let me tell you about how we all care about each other and you, and want you to be a part of it.

you're walking away? don't worry, we'll all mentally concentrate on bringing you into the light tonight, I'm going to make a special point of devoting much of my time trying to get your mind to a place where it can see that salvation is so near.
0 Replies