Born-Again Christians: Most annoying people on the planet?

Chai

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 05:46 pm
echi!!!!

where have you been?

I was thinking about you just the other day, no kidding.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 05:59 pm
Kicky said:
Quote:
But I would like your opinion on the moral rights aspect of it, if you don't mind. In this situation, where one person doesn't want to hear about Jesus or be saved or converted, is it the moral right of the christian to try anyway
?

It is the duty of all Christian to go and teach all nations, including this Joe Nation, Kicky. They are protected by this commandment from Christ Himself. You cannot defend yourself against their holy writ.

Just hope that they run out of breath before you run out of the graceful presence that is you.

I feel like buying you a drink. Let's do that soon.

Joe(Waiting for Real Life to give as honest an answer)Nation
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 06:24 pm
Chai wrote:
echi!!!!

where have you been?

I was thinking about you just the other day, no kidding.

Hi, Chai.

I'm still in austin. I've been busy trying to make money with my website for the past several months. But it looks like pretty soon I will have to get a real job. (totally sucks)

Dare I ask what on earth inspired you to think of lil' ol' me?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:45 pm
It's true Christians are supposed to spread the Gospel. However, if the person we are talking to doesn't want to hear it, we are supposed to stop.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:14 pm
Sower and the Seed.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:11 pm
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:34 pm
Maybe what they really want is for someone to talk some sense into them. Think about it-- They're the ones who want to have the conversation. They're like naughty children in need of guidance. Do you really think they want to save your soul? Actions speak much louder.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:34 pm
kicky, there are things in life you cannot choose or change. better spend your energy elsewhere then hating what you cannot change.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:40 pm
Exactly. Learn to let it roll off your back and steer the conversation forward. Be a diplomat! Very Happy
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:42 pm
Re: Born-Again Christians: Most annoying people on the plane
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Their right to practice their belief ends the moment it infringes on my right to be left the hell alone. If you disagree, then I'd like to know why you feel that way.

Well, it's not a matter of feeling, but I'll be glad to answer.

First, I'd like to be clear on what you are asking.

You speak of your 'right' to be left alone.

Are you referring to a 'legal right', (i.e. are you suggesting that they are doing something illegal) ?

Are you referring to a 'moral right' to be left alone?

If so, I would think that a moral relativist would be on sinking sand if he attempted to tell others what their moral rights are.

Let me know exactly what you mean by your 'right to be left alone' , and we'll discuss.

See Gilby's comment above. This isn't a political stand I'm making. I'm talking about respecting my wish to not be preached to. Just as a person living in this world with others: Do you think my desire to be left alone on this particular topic should be secondary to the desire of the christian who believes I need to hear it in order to be saved?

Thanks for the clarification.

So we're not talking about 'rights' at all.

We're talking about courtesy, which is pretty much in the eye of the beholder.

But I would like your opinion on the moral rights aspect of it, if you don't mind. In this situation, where one person doesn't want to hear about Jesus or be saved or converted, is it the moral right of the christian to try anyway?

Aside from my view for just one more moment---

--from you, as a moral relativist, the answer would have to be yes.

Do you not believe that each person has the right to determine what is right and wrong in his own eyes, and to live accordingly?

I am wondering at the inconsistency in your own position.

--------------------------------------

But to answer your question now, my answer is also yes (as yours should have been, but for a different reason).

However , the method used may vary. If someone is simply annoying you, they should change their method, not their goal.

Perhaps a different method would include showing more consideration of you. I would certainly advise it.

I am very sorry to hear that their well meaning efforts have caused problems in your family. It is not my purpose to defend a lack of courtesy.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:46 pm
dlowan wrote:

If I got such a book from someone I would (hopefully) wait until I was calm, and then send it back with a note saying something like:

You understand her good intention, but that you are very clear about and happy with, your religious views, and do not wish for, or need, any input from her. You have returned the book, as you will any subsequent material she may send, as you understand there may well be people somewhere who ARE interested.

Great advice, dlowan.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:46 pm
echi wrote:
Maybe what they really want is for someone to talk some sense into them. Think about it-- They're the ones who want to have the conversation. They're like naughty children in need of guidance. Do you really think they want to save your soul? Actions speak much louder.

Huh? You think we do it to control a conversation? Good grief, Echi. When you were a Christian is that what you did? I care about people. I don't want to see anyone go to hell. That is why I tell others about Jesus.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:47 pm
Kicky, I got a whole recipe book what can be cooked over flames....

Hold your ground softly, and kick em in the shin when they're not lookin'.

RH
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:59 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
echi wrote:

Huh? You think we do it to control a conversation?
No, I said you want to have the conversation, perhaps because you seek our guidance.
Arella Mae wrote:
Good grief, Echi. When you were a Christian is that what you did? I care about people. I don't want to see anyone go to hell. That is why I tell others about Jesus.
When I was Christian I was more concerned with my own fate, maybe because I was so young.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:02 pm
Oh you said they're the ones that want to have the conversation. Guess I misunderstood. Seek the guidance of a non-believer? Why would we do that? Not trying to be offensive, but seriously, why?

I can understand where you were coming from if you were young.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:18 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Oh you said they're the ones that want to have the conversation. Guess I misunderstood. Seek the guidance of a non-believer? Why would we do that? Not trying to be offensive, but seriously, why?

Wow. It's hard not to be offensive, isn't it? Let me see...

Well, I'm just throwing out the idea that some Christians may be motivated to preach to non-Christians because they secretly and desperately (and perhaps even unconsciously) want to find a way out. That would explain the scorn they sometimes express.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:21 pm
Arella Mae wrote:

Indeed, and why would a non-believer seek the guidance of a born again?

Yet they give it. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:32 pm
AM, with all due respect, it does tend to be offensive if someone thinks they know whats best for someone else. "Saving" them. Best intentions can have ugly consequences....they might indeed not be a help at all, but rather perceived as selfish and arrogant.

Born agains are not the only ones (and of course not all of them do it either). Whole countries sometimes see themselves as the 'shining beacon on the hill' and shove their version of democracy onto others....because they 'know better'.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:38 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
AM, with all due respect, it does tend to be offensive if someone thinks they know whats best for someone else. "Saving" them. Best intentions can have ugly consequences....they might indeed not be a help at all, but rather perceived as selfish and arrogant.

Born agains are not the only ones (and of course not all of them do it either). Whole countries sometimes see themselves as the 'shining beacon on the hill' and shove their version of democracy onto others....because they 'know better'.

REALLY???!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:11 am
dlowan wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

REALLY???!!!

Oh yes. It's been in all the papers.

Joe(you talk about a lack of courtesy....)Nation
0 Replies