Born-Again Christians: Most annoying people on the planet?

kickycan

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
kicky- The fact that your aunt was once in a cult, and has not learned her lesson yet, is very telling. She is obviously a person who is not comfortable unless she is being led around by the nose, and one belief is as good as another.

If this religion keeps her out of the padded room, so be it. It may just keep her from tipping over the edge. If she sends you an E Mail, hit "delete". If she sends you a book, bring it over to Goodwill, or if you don't want to make that effort, toss it in the trash. I think that you are becoming involved in something that is totally unnecessary, and then you are getting upset.

People have the right to believe what they wish. And other people have the right not to buy into it!

Your best defense is a sense of humor, and a clear knowledge of who YOU are!

eoe wrote:
Absolutely. Why get yourself all twisted about something so minor, in the scheme of things?

I agree completely. It just gets to me every once in a while, because I miss the family I used to have before all this born-again nonsense began. But yeah, you're both right. I know that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:56 am
Re: Born-Again Christians: Most annoying people on the plane
Gala wrote:
kickycan wrote:
As some of you know, I have a large contingent of born-again Christians in my family.

They look at me as if I'm somehow broken and need to be fixed. Usually I can just ignore it, but just this week, I got a four-hundred page book sent to me by one of my aunts, entitled, "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist."

Jesus Christ. I can barely stand to even hear them talk about religion, and now they're giving me reading assignments!

I'm thinking of sending my aunt a link to the Sam Harris book, "The End of Faith" along with a note that says, "I'll read the book you sent me as soon as you finish this one."

Anyway, the point is, I believe that born-again christians who try to save the souls of others are the most annoying people on the planet. What do you think? Is there another group of people in the world that are even close?

I haven't scrolled through the other posts on this thread so I may repeat what someone else has said...

They want someone else to make all the decisions for them because thinking for yourself is scary. As a group of people and as individuals they seem devoid of humor or the flexibility to accept differences in others.

Hey wait a minute, that last sentence sounds like the politics forum in able2know. And it sounds a little like me sometimes, although I'm sort of delightful and humorous at times...

You are delightful at all times. Humorous? Not so much.

[size=7]Ha, just kidding![/size]
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:59 am
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:11 pm
kickycan wrote:
...It just gets to me every once in a while, because I miss the family I used to have before all this born-again nonsense began...

That is sad, very sad. It would drive me crazy, too.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 01:34 pm
Kicky, when did your family become born-again Christians?

What or who made them become born-again?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 02:47 pm
I'm curious kickster, you mention your dad and brother being born again, but are also respectful and don't pile it on.

Could it be that they are not nearly as religious, but just go along not to rock the boat?

What's your dad like?

I find it interesting that most people seem to know someone or a few someones that drive you crazy trying to save you. I mean the ones that just won't let up. But I've never met anyone willing to admit that "Yeah, I'm one of those that you're talking about."

I'd like to hear someone come on this thread and honestly say "When my dauther comes to visit I talk to her for hours about needing to get saved, and send them books and stuff. She tells me she doesn't want to talk about it and doesn't read what I send her, but I know she'll come around."
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 02:54 pm
Chai wrote:

I find it interesting that most people seem to know someone or a few someones that drive you crazy trying to save you. I mean the ones that just won't let up. But I've never met anyone willing to admit that "Yeah, I'm one of those that you're talking about."

I'd like to hear someone come on this thread and honestly say "When my dauther comes to visit I talk to her for hours about needing to get saved, and send them books and stuff. She tells me she doesn't want to talk about it and doesn't read what I send her, but I know she'll come around."

This is not a forum that reborns would find attractive. However, there are plenty of forums in cyberland that cater to them. You can ask Araella Mae to recommend a few.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:00 pm
pfffffftttt!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:11 pm
Chai wrote:
Francis, you've never met a born again?

You are truly blessed.

I think I am, too. (Verily, verily, I say unto thee..)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 05:57 pm
Green Witch wrote:
This is not a forum that reborns would find attractive. However, there are plenty of forums in cyberland that cater to them. You can ask Araella Mae to recommend a few.

Seriously though, I wonder what one of those annoying type born agains take on a typical conversation with someone expressing they have no interest would be?

Of course they'd be saying they were trying to say poor so and so's soul and they will one day, through faith in God, succeed.

But how could they honestly avoid discussions about when an intelligent person has repeatedly said they have no interest in conversation with them, and starts to look more and more annoyed. Surely some of them would see the look of boredom, annomosity, or frustration.

I mean, I've sat in plenty of houses where someone grandmothers always had the rosary beads out, and there'd be religious pictures on the walls, but never felt uncomfortable. You showed no disrespect to them, especially in their home, and they didn't push anything on you.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 08:57 pm
My boss is one of those "annoying type born agains" and I'm the office atheist.
He tells me he'll pray for me. I tell him I'll read a science book for him. End of discussion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 09:05 pm
That's a Great response!!!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 10:48 pm
kickycan wrote:

Anyway, the point is, I believe that born-again christians who try to save the souls of others are the most annoying people on the planet. What do you think? Is there another group of people in the world that are even close?

Yes, that would be moral relativists who claim that each person has a right to their own belief of right and wrong, and then complain when Christians choose to practice their belief.
0 Replies

jrnyace

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 10:53 pm
I'm new here but found this site to VENT my utmost anger towards a EVANGELICAL employee that I cannot stand anymore. I have told him he is in a cult to stop the crap that he spews. He is a hypocrit that lies, steals, and swears f##k this all day. I don't know why I feel so guilty for 3 years of my life now. I want to fire him. He shows up on time and does the work but he is driving me mentally bonkers!!! HELP!!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:01 pm
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Yes, that would be moral relativists who claim that each person has a right to their own belief of right and wrong, and then complain when Christians choose to practice their belief.

I nominate do-gooders, that obnoxious breed of human who always thinks that they know what is best, that others are incompetent of running their own lives, and feels the need to "help" when nine times out of ten they don't have a f*cking clue....and they do it even when their help has never been requested. I would like to think of myself as a humanitarian, but this kind I would like to be rid of, by what ever means are necessary.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 12:20 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:

I nominate do-gooders, that obnoxious breed of human who always thinks that they know what is best, that others are incompetent of running their own lives, and feels the need to "help" when nine times out of ten they don't have a f*cking clue....and they do it even when their help has never been requested. I would like to think of myself as a humanitarian, but this kind I would like to be rid of, by what ever means are necessary.

Since you seem to think you know what is best, are you going to include yourself in the group that gets eliminated?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:21 am
real life wrote:
Since you seem to think you know what is best, are you going to include yourself in the group that gets eliminated?

No, because while I take ownership of my reality and have firm grasp of my truth I don't assume that I know yours. And I have enough good sense to leave people alone most of the time. Unless folks indicate that they are open for debate, for instance by showing up at able2know, in which case they will likely get some "the world according to Hawkeye" lessons. Who knows, maybe I'll like the "work according to real_life" better and convert. Give it your best shot.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:44 am
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Their right to practice their belief ends the moment it infringes on my right to be left the hell alone. If you disagree, then I'd like to know why you feel that way.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:59 am
kickycan wrote:
Their right to practice their belief ends the moment it infringes on my right to be left the hell alone. If you disagree, then I'd like to know why you feel that way.

Let me get this right! You know your family member's beliefs - disagree with those beliefs yet choose to spend time with them anyway - then bitch about their actions.

Is that about right?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:51 am
You heard the man.

He spends time with them because he wants to be left alone. Laughing

And while they discuss their beliefs, (as it is their right to do), I am sure that kicky NEVER mentions his beliefs to them, (to maintain consistency with his stated objection to same).
0 Replies