Nader '08

Advocate

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 01:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Running for president is the right of every American (at least those born here.). Criticising anybody for running is not the right argument.

In view of the damage that Bush has done to the country, how can you say that?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 01:43 pm
I can say that, because any citizen has the right to run for office, and just because somebody is elected/selected to fill that office that we don't like isn't good cause to take away any of those rights.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 04:10 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I can say that, because any citizen has the right to run for office, and just because somebody is elected/selected to fill that office that we don't like isn't good cause to take away any of those rights.

CI, don't you know that we are talking about the "moral" right?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 04:25 pm
But, if you are talking about "moral right," what about those who vote for Nader? Isn't that their "moral right?"
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:07 pm
I'll never forgive him for what he said about the Corvair.
0 Replies

From Shinola

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:11 am
One can vote for Nader with a clear conscience. It's an empty gesture but no more so than voting for the nippleheads at the tip of the sword.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:23 am
Hi Shinola, WELCOME TO A2K. I used to "waste" my vote on principle in the past, but no longer. It's a wasted vote to vote for somebody who has no chance of winning, no matter how we perceive the candidate as the best of the group. The tack I use now is not to vote for "any of the above" if they are the only ones o the ballot. Write-ins are also a waste of a vote.
0 Replies

From Shinola

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:43 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hi Shinola, WELCOME TO A2K. I used to "waste" my vote on principle in the past, but no longer. It's a wasted vote to vote for somebody who has no chance of winning, no matter how we perceive the candidate as the best of the group. The tack I use now is not to vote for "any of the above" if they are the only ones o the ballot. Write-ins are also a waste of a vote.

Thanks for the welcome, CI. I guess the gist is to exercise your rights and vote, regardless who it may be for. The only wasted vote is the one you don't cast.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 12:00 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Your strategy simply serves to perpetuate the 2 party system. If nobody votes for 3 party or write in's because they don't think their vote will count.....well, it's no wonder there aren't many 3rd party candidates is there.

People can't complain about only having 2 party's, but have a personal policy about only voting for those party's.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 12:16 pm
From Shinola wrote:
One can vote for Nader with a clear conscience. It's an empty gesture but no more so than voting for the nippleheads at the tip of the sword.

Welcome, but I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Remember, a vote for Nader is a vote for McCain.
0 Replies

From Shinola

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 12:29 pm
Advocate wrote:
Welcome, but I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Remember, a vote for Nader is a vote for McCain.

I rarely know what the hell I'm talking about so I'll assume I'm good company. But my point was that there are no candidates worth a bucket of goat piss.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 01:52 pm
From Shinola wrote:
Advocate wrote:
Welcome, but I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Remember, a vote for Nader is a vote for McCain.

I rarely know what the hell I'm talking about so I'll assume I'm good company. But my point was that there are no candidates worth a bucket of goat piss.

Shinola, There are a few of us with much more demand for good candidates who we can a) trust, b) will provide the right kind of leadership for our country after Bush, c) talk about how to fix our economy, and d) get us out of Iraq.

None of the candidates fits those requirements; it's a sad point in the history of our country.
0 Replies

From Shinola

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 02:21 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Shinola, There are a few of us with much more demand for good candidates who we can a) trust, b) will provide the right kind of leadership for our country after Bush, c) talk about how to fix our economy, and d) get us out of Iraq.

None of the candidates fits those requirements; it's a sad point in the history of our country.

Yup, hence the "pigs at the trough" analogy. A fundamental change needs to happen from the bottom up. The knucklehead with his/her feet propped up on the desk in the Oval Office is not the only major overhaul we need.

All of Congress needs to be replaced with those people willing to think and act as the representatives they're supposed to be instead of the entitled elite they think they are.

This is true of both parties, IMO.

CI, I'm a pretty cynical person, but I do believe real change is possible but only after the voters pull their collective heads out of their butts and stop rubber stamping these losers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 02:34 pm
amen to that! But, it's not going to happen with the present pool of candidates running. I've often said we need to replace congress during the past few years, and that would be a good start, but I don't give it much hope in 2008 or the next few election cycles.

What's so frustrating is the simple fact that Americans rate congress below Bush, but will not act to replace them. We have found the enemy, and it's us.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:03 pm
You guys are cynical to a fault.

Both Hill and Obama are highly-intelligent, well-educated, and accomplished people suitable to run the country. Both have successfully worked "across the aisle."

Of course, almost anyone would be an incredible improvement on the moron currently in office.
0 Replies

From Shinola

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:10 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
We have found the enemy, and it's us.

That is the proverbial "rub" we hear of. Idea
0 Replies

From Shinola

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:14 pm
Advocate wrote:
You guys are cynical to a fault.

Both Hill and Obama are highly-intelligent, well-educated, and accomplished people suitable to run the country. Both have successfully worked "across the aisle."

Of course, almost anyone would be an incredible improvement on the moron currently in office.

My cynicism is born of decades of evidence.

I agree both Hillary or Obama would make capable CiNCs. But without an effective Congress, what's the point? Hillary, Obama or McCain will accomplish little more than spreading th peas around on the plate to make it look like less of a mess. Bush, in all of his utter incompetence, has done the same thing. What are you gaining in 2008?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:31 pm
Yes, please name what will be accomplished by any of the three major candidate as our president?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:41 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Yes, please name what will be accomplished by any of the three major candidate as our president?

Go into their websites where they present their platforms. Congress, of course, will have a lot to do with this.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:57 pm
That's what we're talking about; congress is our countries achilles heel.
0 Replies