may/might

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 09:14 am
McTag wrote:
Okay I'm going to have to think about this, I can see. Smile

Encourage Contrex to do the same, okay, McTag? Smile

================

YL, remember that these dictionaries also told us not to split infinitives, to not use 'can' for permission, etc.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 09:18 am
Red fonts do not make up for lack of knowledge or evidence
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 09:21 am
contrex wrote:
Red fonts do not make up for lack of knowledge or evidence

Come on, Contrex, lighten up. I was only funnin' ya.

You're starting to sound childish and I know you have more in you than that. Just address the issues; you can do it, I know you can.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 10:56 pm
JTT wrote:
McTag wrote:
McTag wrote:
"He may go to London.

Past tense: He might go to London. *

[* denotes ungrammatical for the situation]"

I don't really want to get involved in this, lacking the stamina, but that seem a bit weird to me.
It's certainly not past tense, is it?

Past tense would be "He might have gone to London" or something similar.

Clearly, it isn't, McTag. But note that might is only describing an opinion about whether he went to London or not. 'may' can do the same thing.

"He may have gone to London".

Or I could be wrong*, as in

"Last week, he asked if he might go to London."

* or rather, not comprehensive enough. Smile

Just reported speech, McTag, not an indication of any pasttime or tense.

I was mistaken, above, in the last sentence, when I said these were examples of reported speech. I apologize. The modal perfect is the only way for modals to be used to describe a particular past time/tense situation.

All of them can be used in this way, even the purported present tense modals; shall, will, can and may.

Summing up this thread. Modal verbs are tenseless in modern English. Hundreds of years ago, they had tense, but no longer.

The backshifting that occurs in reported speech is not an indication of past tense. It merely uses the past tense FORM to indicate that the speech being reported is not a direct quotation.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:00 am
Hi friends

I've checked with a BrE native speaker regarding 'might' as the past tense/past tense form of 'may', and I would like to share his reply with all of you.

It is its etymological past tense-form, or, more simply and conversationally expressed, past tense.

It is not, however, its functional past tense-form.

Maybe one of our members could explain his reply for me. I would be grateful. I hope it will settle the issue.

Thansks in advance.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:36 am
I would avoid these native speakers like the plague. They only f@ck with your mind.

Smile :wink:
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 08:31 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi friends

I've checked with a BrE native speaker regarding 'might' as the past tense/past tense form of 'may', and I would like to share his reply with all of you.

It is its etymological past tense-form, or, more simply and conversationally expressed, past tense.

It is not, however, its functional past tense-form.

Maybe one of our members could explain his reply for me. I would be grateful. I hope it will settle the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Why didn't you ask him to explain it further until you did understand, YL?

Quote:

M-W

etymology

1 : the history of a linguistic form (as a word) shown by tracing its development since its earliest recorded occurrence in the language where it is found, by tracing its transmission from one language to another, by analyzing it into its component parts, by identifying its cognates in other languages, or by tracing it and its cognates to a common ancestral form in an ancestral language

In my last posting, I wrote,

"Modal verbs are tenseless in modern English. Hundreds of years ago, they had tense, but no longer."

might is the historical past tense form of may. It retains that feature in use of reported speech but it does not and more importantly can not act as the past tense of may because it is now a tenseless verb.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:05 am
Hi friends

I've asked a native English speaker and the following is his reply.

I want to confirm the following.

Present Tense Simple Past Tense
may might
run ran
come came

Can I group 'might' as past tense of 'may' as shown above?

Answer: Yes, that is one of the uses of might
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:20 am
Exactly as I have said more than once, Yoong Liat.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:48 am
contrex wrote:

Hi Contrex

I believe what you said is correct, but JTT has a different view. According to her, 'might' as past tense is not correct in modern English if I remember correctly what she said.

As a perfectionist, I want to get to the bottom of things, in this case, by consulting other native speakers and dictionaries.

By the way, my Collins Cobuild Dictionary for Advanced Learners (the latest edition) also states that 'may' is present tense and 'might' is past tense. This I left out earlier because I was going out. I've just returned home.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:09 am
The ultimate, and ungrammatical demotic BrE answer, Yoong Liat, is "You pays your money and you takes your choice".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:10 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
contrex wrote:

Hi Contrex

I believe what you said is correct, but JTT has a different view.

As a perfectionist, I want to get to the bottom of things, in this case, by consulting other native speakers and dictionaries.

By the way, Collins Cobuild Dictionary for Advanced Learners also states that 'may' is present tense and 'might' is past tense. This I left out earlier because I was going out. I've just returned home.

Having it stated time and again is hardly proof of this contention and you, by now, ought to know better, Contrex.

Did it matter how many times prescriptivists stated that one must not split an infinitive, that one must not end a sentence with a preposition, that one must not start a sentence with a conjunction, that ... .

Of course not. Things that are not of the English language are never followed by native speakers. Contrex still has not provided any examples, nor has anyone else, of the copious instances that should be available to him given his insistence that modals have tense.

YL, why didn't ask your native speaker friend to provide some examples? Shouldn't a perfectionist seek as much clarifying information as possible?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:39 am
contrex wrote:
The ultimate, and ungrammatical demotic BrE answer, Yoong Liat, is "You pays your money and you takes your choice".

Another idiom comes to mind, Contrex.

Put up or shut up.

I'd much rather see the former followed as long as one is willing to offer some small thing that is substantive.

YL wants to get to the bottom of this. It matters to him and other ESLs who are left unable to adequately use a vitally important part of the language, the modal verbs.

I've had students who were shocked to hear me say things like, "Tomorrow we might go canoeing".

"How", they said, "could you use might with these future words when might is the past tense of may?"

Or it leaves students uttering ungrammatical things such as,

"We could have a good time" to describe a past event.

I've shown you that none of your examples are past tense and you have not provided any yet, still, your gums keep flappin' in true prescriptive manner. Why is it that prescriptivists think that merely repeating things makes them true?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:11 am
Hi JTT

If a BrE speaker and an AmE speaker tell me that 'might' is the past tense of 'may', what other things do I need to ask when I believe them. I've not read in any English usage book that 'might' is not the past tense of 'may'. What is stated is it is. Furthermore, the Collins Cobuild Dictionary also states so.

My English usage books and dictionaries also state that 'might' besides being the past tense of 'may' also indicates less possibility than 'may'.

Being a non-native speaker, I learn English through grammar, English usage books and dictionaries. Besides that I consult native speakers.

Much to my surprise, I hear conflicting views from you, views which are contrary to what I've learned.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:27 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi JTT

If a BrE speaker and an AmE speaker tell me that 'might' is the past tense of 'may', what other things do I need to ask when I believe them.

Good afternoon or evening as the case may be, YL.

Examples would be nice. If you lived centuries ago and asked for confirmation that the earth was flat, your belief that the earth was flat would not require much more than an affirmative response now would it?

Can't you see that if this were true the examples would be pouring onto the pages of this thread. And Contrex would, with unconcealed relish, be leading the charge. Smile

I've not read in any English usage book that 'might' is not the past tense of 'may'. What is stated is it is. Furthermore, the Collins Cobuild Dictionary also states so.

My English usage books and dictionaries also state that 'might' besides being the past tense of 'may' also indicates less possibility than 'may'.

And their examples are? Why haven't you provided any examples, YL? Be careful with many of those "English usage books". Many of them are full of absolute tripe.

Being a non-native speaker, I learn English through grammar, English usage books and dictionaries. Besides that I consult native speakers.

Yoong Liat wrote:

Much to my surprise, I hear conflicting views from you, views which are contrary to what I've learned.

Yoong Liat wrote:

Much to my surprise, I hear conflicting views from you, views which are not contrary to what I've learned.

EDITED: As you've edited your post [no problem] to take out the 'not', some of what I said, below, does not apply. Some still does. Maybe all of it still does because your level of English is advanced enough that you can't possibly be using the modals as they are errantly described.

If I follow you, you're saying that what you actually do in language follows what I've been saying, and that what the "books" say is not how you actually use this aspect of language.

That's always been the case wrt prescriptions; people using language naturally have never followed them. If that's the case for you, then, luckily, as an ESL, you've escaped. But that doesn't help all the other ESLs who are held back in their understanding of English by these falsehoods.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:58 am
Hi JTT

Much to my surprise, I hear conflicting views from you, views which are contrary to what I've learned. It was a typo. It should be 'contrary'.

What about the dictionaries which state that 'might' is the past tense of 'may' and that 'might' implies less possibility than 'may'? Do you say they are wrong to say that 'might' is the past tense of 'may'?

I think you prefer descriptive English to prescriptive English.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:25 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi JTT

What about the dictionaries which state that 'might' is the past tense of 'may' and that 'might' implies less possibility than 'may'? Do you say they are wrong to say that 'might' is the past tense of 'may'?

They're right when they state "that <might> implies less possibility than <may>, YL, but they're dead wrong when the state "that <might> is the past tense of <may>".

This is a perfect example of the value of Description versus the absolute uselessness of Prescription. Prescription tells us something that can't be done in the English language.

Try it yourself, YL. Make a sentence where might is the past tense of may. When you finally come to the understanding that it simply can't be done, then you'll realize that the earth isn't flat.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:54 am
I suspect that JTT is either mentally ill or else not neurotypical, given the eerie stubbornness with which he or she continues to maintain that position.

You have had plenty of examples. You just deny seeing them.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 01:45 pm
JTT wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi JTT

They're right when they state "that <might> implies less possibility than <may>, YL, but they're dead wrong when the state "that <might> is the past tense of <may>".

This is a perfect example of the value of Description versus the absolute uselessness of Prescription. Prescription tells us something that can't be done in the English language.

Try it yourself, YL. Make a sentence where might is the past tense of may. When you finally come to the understanding that it simply can't be done, then you'll realize that the earth isn't flat.

May I go to the party?
I'm asking if I may go to the party.
Last week, I was wondering if I might go to the party.

Am I wrong?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 02:21 pm
May I come in?" (may is present tense)

He asked if he might come in. (might is past tense, so is asked)

In reported speech, the present tense (may) is changed to the past tense (might)

IMO, the above sentence is an example of the uage of 'might' as past tense.
0 Replies