Proper and improper uses of the term "racism"

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 09:17 am
IMO African-Americans in our society cannot be guilty of racism as racism requires the institutionalization of beliefs that one race is superior over another. Blacks who vote for an Obama merely because he is Black (it may be racist to suggest that such a person even exists) is not racist but prejudiced or mahybe even bigoted.

from Wikepia

Quote:
Sociological definitions

Some sociologists have defined racism as a system of group privilege. In Portraits of White Racism David Wellman (1993) has defined racism as "culturally sanctioned beliefs, which, regardless of intentions involved, defend the advantages whites have because of the subordinated position of racial minorities," (Wellman 1993: x). Sociologists Noel Cazenave and Darlene Alvarez Maddern define racism as "...a highly organized system of 'race'-based group privilege that operates at every level of society and is held together by a sophisticated ideology of color/'race' supremacy. Racist systems include, but cannot be reduced to, racial bigotry," (Cazenave and Maddern 1999: 42). Sociologist and former American Sociological Association president Joe Feagin argues that the United States can be characterized as a "total racist society" because racism is used to organize every social institution (Feagin 2000, p. 16). More recently, Feagin has articulated a comprehensive theory of racial oppression in the U.S. in his book Systemic Racism: A Theory of Oppression (Routledge, 2006). Feagin examines how major institutions have been built upon racial oppression which was not an accident of history, but was created intentionally by white Americans. In Feagin's view, white Americans labored hard to create a system of racial oppression in the 17th century and have worked diligently to maintain the system ever since. While Feagin acknowledges that changes have occurred in this racist system over the centuries, he contends that key and fundamental elements have been reproduced over nearly four centuries, and that U.S. institutions today reflect the racialized hierarchy created in the 17th century. Today, as in the past, racial oppression is not just a surface-level feature of this society, but rather pervades, permeates, and interconnects all major social groups, networks, and institutions across the society. Feagin's definition stands in sharp contrast to psychological definitions that assume racism is an "attitude" or an irrational form of bigotry that exists apart from the organization of social structure.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 10:44 am
roxanne said
Quote:
IMO African-Americans in our society cannot be guilty of racism as racism requires the institutionalization of beliefs that one race is superior over another.

Though I find your wikipedia quotes helpful in fleshing out the term in question, I can't agree with this argument above.

Regardless of the prior or historical inequalities effected culturally and institutionally, if a member or members of the oppressed group end up with the idea that their race/culture is inherently superior, then that is surely racism.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 10:49 am
hawkeye 10 said:
Quote:
Those who think in terms of race will see everything in terms of race, perception becomes reality. Another person's perception is not mine, their reality is not mine, and I would be dishonoring myself and my experience if I accepted someone else's other than my own as my own. For this reason the views of others have a right to exist and to be expressed, but no right to expect me to cater to them.

I'm not at all sure what point you are attempting to make here.

Quote:
Re historical racism.....I am not responsible for the sins of my father. If somebody has a problem with what my ancestors did they should feel free to take it up with them in the after life, but leave me out of it. if they have a problem with me then by all mean come and talk to me about it, lets see if we can work it out. I am however not predisposed to accept race as an excuse, a reason, or a justification for much of anything. The one with the problem with me will probably need to have a different argument if they want me to take them seriously.

What about your 'responsibility' for existing conditions or inequalities or injustices in your community? Do you believe you have any?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 11:14 am
Foofie wrote:
blatham wrote:
I find that a very tempered and thoughtful post, aidan.

We've just moved away from new york to oregon. We were in the upper east side of manhattan for three years. I reallllly miss it.

You mean there is no other city that offers a walk like from 116th Street, south along Broadway, to Broadway/West Houston?

But I am curious what makes Manhattan so attractive, in your opinion?

The history of New York gives it a vibrancy and dynamism that's quite unique to my experience (I recommend the Burns' PBS documentary on New York). Of course, the cultural depth and variety of the place is unmatched. Those together with the city's incredible ethnic diversity made it a place where I found myself pretty constantly unbored.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:37 pm
fishin said:
Quote:
You are just being silly. How did I attempt to "redefine" the word racism? By referring to the established definition as listed in popular dictionaries? How does one redefine a word by referring to an established definition?

If there is anyone attempting to redefine the word here, it is you.

And your mother has yellow teeth. You are being dishonest regarding how language works. Definitions are seldom coherent or comprehensible in isolation and with a term such as this one, there are central elements of meaning which, if absent, render the term relatively vacuous.

Quote:
As compared to the "trick" of ignoring definitions and only using those that fit some skewed political agenda?? Shall we apply the same logic to "crime"? Let's keep rape and murder but jeez, petty theft isn't on the same scale so let's not call that one a crime any more, ok?

Inappropriate analogy. Unless you wish to argue that there is positive or socially/morally desireable 'crime'.

Quote:
But no, it isn't "just as bad" to have laws that are racist to redress past racism. There are various shades of grey and your attempt to paint them all as being the same is intellectually dishonest. That's propaganda on your part.

Using this conception, you have racism defined (correct me if I'm wrong) as big social bad down to small social bad (shades of grey). Where, if anywhere, do you allow that 'racism' (or racial discrimination) in your sense of the term may produce a positive social good? The ML King point sits here.

Quote:
But you see, your idea here has flaws as well. If you call it something else then it also allows the more sublte forms of racism to continue and be swept under the rug.

Subtlety has no relevance here except that it might hide a social evil. If you hold that any and all discriminations based on race must be socially negative or destructive, then a program like affirmative action must be a social negative. That's precisely the legal tact taken by the modern right (see the prior notes on Clint Bollick, etc)... Discrimination based on race is a social negative or 'we ought never to engage in racial discrimination because it is a social negative'. Therefore, AA must be bad. It's merely a tricky or self-deluded way to continue racism (which ought not to be continued in any manner because it is an evil always).

Quote:
You seem to have your own bit of propoaganda going here. Even amongst popular groups that advocate for the necessity of AA programs, there is an implicit admission that the programs are racist/sexist. Every time they state that AA is necessary "until there is equeal opportunity/pay/etc..." it is an admission that they are aware that the programs themselves discriminate. It is an admission that at some future point, when those issues of racism/sexism are eliminated, the program should go away. If the AA programs are seen by their own advocates as temporary then how can anyone claim that they aren't exactly what they are?

Of course such programs "discriminate". And they discriminate in this case based on race. But the only way you get to "a social evil" from the use of discriminatory categories is if you hold as I've described in my paragraph above, that discrimination based on race is always a social evil.

Quote:
If the programs aren't "bad", then why would there be an "until"?? (And there is. I offer the NOW WWW site as but one example.)

Because 'bad' or 'good' aren't properly established through the circular means you hope to establish good and bad here... "all racial discrimination is bad because it is racism". Where racial discriminations actually promote equality where inequality existed previously, that is hardly a social evil merely through the circularity of your definitions.

Quote:
While legal, the entire concept of AA violates the entire spirit of equality. Yes, AA is seen as necessary to compensate for past injustices but that doesn't mean that it isn't racist/sexist.

Yes, legality tells us only about what laws are presently in place. That any law might actually align with justice or morality or equality is clearly a different matter.

To say that AA 'violates the entire spirit of equality' is morally incoherent. Would you rather flip it around and say that disallowing any/all forms of AA matches the entire spirit of equality? Why not?

Quote:
By pretending that all racism isn't a negative you also undercut attempts to weed out the more subtle forms of racism that others readily recogniize. Your definition undercuts the efforts to show raciism in the death penalty debate for example. It also flies in the face of numerous claims of racism as a factor in the concept of "white flight" from urban areas.

You answer some of my questions in your first sentence. But your second sentence does not follow. How is racism hidden in the death penalty debate using my understanding of the term 'racism'?

Quote:
These are not overtly racist activites in the sense of slavery or "whites only" bathrooms and luncheon counters however they are widely recognized as examples of racism and to deny that they are, also allows people to ignore attempts to eliminate them.

How does this ignore either perception of racism or attempts to eliminate it in these places it shows up (prison populations, sentencing figures, credit applications, etc)?

How would these inequalities even show up if people weren't looking to see if they might exist through establishing research criteria based on racial discriminations?

Is it racist to search for racial inequality using a discrimatory framework? Joe Scarborough recently said...
Quote:
Judge Janice Rogers Brown, of the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, recently gave a speech at Harding University that deserves an enthusiastic amen from every Christian in the land.

…An African-American from California, who came from an impoverished background, Janice Rogers Brown has thrown down the gauntlet to the ACLU, Americans United for Separation of Church and State and the rest of their ilk.
He notes (that is, he discriminates) Brown's race. Is he being racist?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:47 pm
Historical tidbit...
Quote:
The man who was chosen to head the Federalist Society state judicial selection project is a chap named Clint Bollick, who wrote a book called The Affirmative Action Fraud and edited another book called Unfinished Business: Civil Rights Strategy For the Next Century. Again, it is not coincidental that the introduction to Unfinished Business was by Charles Murray, who wrote The Bell Curve, arguing basically that African Americans had a lower IQ than white people, and therefore were basically forever limited in how far they should get, making affirmative action programs useless.
http://www.democracynow.org/2005/7/26/the_federalist_society_papers_john_roberts
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:37 pm
blatham wrote:
fishin said:
Quote:
You are just being silly. How did I attempt to "redefine" the word racism? By referring to the established definition as listed in popular dictionaries? How does one redefine a word by referring to an established definition?

If there is anyone attempting to redefine the word here, it is you.

And your mother has yellow teeth. You are being dishonest regarding how language works. Definitions are seldom coherent or comprehensible in isolation and with a term such as this one, there are central elements of meaning which, if absent, render the term relatively vacuous.

I'm being dishonest? lol Tell me, which "central elements" are necessary to understand the meaning of the word? Your claim here was that I (amongst other's) was attempting to redefine the word. It simply isn't possible to redefine a word by referencing an alreday established definition. The definition you prefer is (from my perspective) a subset of the definition I prefer - a subset that allows you to pretend that an entire range of racism either doesn't exist or is "good racism".

Quote:
Quote:
As compared to the "trick" of ignoring definitions and only using those that fit some skewed political agenda?? Shall we apply the same logic to "crime"? Let's keep rape and murder but jeez, petty theft isn't on the same scale so let's not call that one a crime any more, ok?

Inappropriate analogy. Unless you wish to argue that there is positive or socially/morally desireable 'crime'.

I need make no such arguement. You seem to have missed the sarcasm there. It is your position that needs to find a socially/morally desirable crime. You are the one that supports the idea that there can be "good racism".

Quote:
Quote:
But no, it isn't "just as bad" to have laws that are racist to redress past racism. There are various shades of grey and your attempt to paint them all as being the same is intellectually dishonest. That's propaganda on your part.

Using this conception, you have racism defined (correct me if I'm wrong) as big social bad down to small social bad (shades of grey). Where, if anywhere, do you allow that 'racism' (or racial discrimination) in your sense of the term may produce a positive social good? The ML King point sits here.

I can easily hold that a positive can come from multiple negatives - that is the entire premise of our criminal justice system after all. We impose sentences ("bads") upon people convicted of having committed crimes (bigger "bads") with the ideal that the victim (or society) is compensated ("good") for the crime committed.

A lesser form of racism (as in AA) can be used to remedy a more serious wrong in an attempt to produce an offsetting "good". That doesn't make AA in itself a good.

If, as you claim, AA is a "social good" then it should be applied whether past wrongs exist or not, shouldn't it? Yet that flies in the face of the claimed justifications for having and continuing AA.

I'm not sure what the complete MLK reference is to. I didn't read all 10+ pages on the Obama thread that I missed over the weekend.)

Quote:
Quote:
But you see, your idea here has flaws as well. If you call it something else then it also allows the more sublte forms of racism to continue and be swept under the rug.

Subtlety has no relevance here except that it might hide a social evil. If you hold that any and all discriminations based on race must be socially negative or destructive, then a program like affirmative action must be a social negative. That's precisely the legal tact taken by the modern right (see the prior notes on Clint Bollick, etc)... Discrimination based on race is a social negative or 'we ought never to engage in racial discrimination because it is a social negative'. Therefore, AA must be bad. It's merely a tricky or self-deluded way to continue racism (which ought not to be continued in any manner because it is an evil always).

Is it? Or is accepting AA as a "good" in itself a deluded way of continuing racism?

Quote:
Quote:
You seem to have your own bit of propoaganda going here. Even amongst popular groups that advocate for the necessity of AA programs, there is an implicit admission that the programs are racist/sexist. Every time they state that AA is necessary "until there is equeal opportunity/pay/etc..." it is an admission that they are aware that the programs themselves discriminate. It is an admission that at some future point, when those issues of racism/sexism are eliminated, the program should go away. If the AA programs are seen by their own advocates as temporary then how can anyone claim that they aren't exactly what they are?

Of course such programs "discriminate". And they discriminate in this case based on race. But the only way you get to "a social evil" from the use of discriminatory categories is if you hold as I've described in my paragraph above, that discrimination based on race is always a social evil.

And I do....

Quote:
Quote:
If the programs aren't "bad", then why would there be an "until"?? (And there is. I offer the NOW WWW site as but one example.)

Because 'bad' or 'good' aren't properly established through the circular means you hope to establish good and bad here... "all racial discrimination is bad because it is racism". Where racial discriminations actually promote equality where inequality existed previously, that is hardly a social evil merely through the circularity of your definitions.

Perhaps not however, I have yet to find any group/organization that advocates that AA should continue forever. While several call it a "necessary evil" others allude to the fact that it should end "at some future point". Why do you yourself mention that it is to "promote equality where inequality existed before..."? If, as your position holds, AA is a "social good" then should it not always be a social good whether past injustices existed or not??

You have your own circularity going here with your presumption that anything that ends in a "good" result is "good" in itself.

Quote:
Quote:
While legal, the entire concept of AA violates the entire spirit of equality. Yes, AA is seen as necessary to compensate for past injustices but that doesn't mean that it isn't racist/sexist.

Yes, legality tells us only about what laws are presently in place. That any law might actually align with justice or morality or equality is clearly a different matter.

To say that AA 'violates the entire spirit of equality' is morally incoherent. Would you rather flip it around and say that disallowing any/all forms of AA matches the entire spirit of equality? Why not?

Disallowing AA would match the spirit of equality. What it would not do is provide redress for past wrongs. The two are seperate issues and currently the need to redress past wrongs is viewed as a more significant necessity than matching the spirit of equality. There is nothing morally incoherent in that.

Quote:
Quote:
By pretending that all racism isn't a negative you also undercut attempts to weed out the more subtle forms of racism that others readily recogniize. Your definition undercuts the efforts to show raciism in the death penalty debate for example. It also flies in the face of numerous claims of racism as a factor in the concept of "white flight" from urban areas.

You answer some of my questions in your first sentence. But your second sentence does not follow. How is racism hidden in the death penalty debate using my understanding of the term 'racism'?

Your previously listed definition of racism was "1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others."

The stastical methods used in an effort to demonstrate the existance racism in the death penalty debate show none of that. The claims of racism involved in "white flight" also aren't dependent upon any idea of superiority. The claims of racism there are based on fear of, not superiority over.

Quote:
Quote:
These are not overtly racist activites in the sense of slavery or "whites only" bathrooms and luncheon counters however they are widely recognized as examples of racism and to deny that they are, also allows people to ignore attempts to eliminate them.

How does this ignore either perception of racism or attempts to eliminate it in these places it shows up (prison populations, sentencing figures, credit applications, etc)?

How would these inequalities even show up if people weren't looking to see if they might exist through establishing research criteria based on racial discriminations?

Is it racist to search for racial inequality using a discrimatory framework?

IMO, it is. Doing so however, is sometimes a "necessary evil".

A stastical study that finds that a specific race is highly predisposed to a certian disease in an effort to identify those people and then spend government funds to target that population and prevent the disease from inflicting them is racist on it's face. (imunizing everyone in the population wouldn't be racist. It would probably be a waste of time, manpower and money though.) Conducting the study anyway is a necessary evil, IMO (very low on the racism "bad" scale and highly probably in producing a "good" result). That doesn't change it from the "bad" column to the "good" column.

Quote:
Joe Scarborough recently said...
Quote:
Judge Janice Rogers Brown, of the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, recently gave a speech at Harding University that deserves an enthusiastic amen from every Christian in the land.

…An African-American from California, who came from an impoverished background, Janice Rogers Brown has thrown down the gauntlet to the ACLU, Americans United for Separation of Church and State and the rest of their ilk.
He notes (that is, he discriminates) Brown's race. Is he being racist?

Since "African-American" is used as an adjective it meets the dictionary definition for "discriminate". Racism however, requires "discrimination" as a verb to meet it's definition so no, it isn't racist.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:56 pm
I have skimmed through the discussion between blatham and fishin.
And from what I've read, I tend to side with fishin.

Anyhoo this quote: "Inappropriate analogy. Unless you wish to argue that there is positive or socially/morally desireable 'crime'."

I think such an argument can easily be (and has been) made.
After all, IMO, Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Henry David Thoreau were moral and desirable criminals.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:04 pm
Those full of racial pride are a trip, on the one hand they are all about hoe important their race is to them, but then they say "but treat my like my race does not matter". Um, no....you don't get to have have it both ways....make up you mind if race is important to you or not.

I have heard Obama called an apologist because he does not demand to talk about his race. This is not true. He is not sorry about the part of his heritage that is black, he is saying don't disrespect his blackness and he will not defend his blackness. There are more important things to talk about. Classy.

More people who have some black genealogy should go back and listen to what MLK had to say about "black pride".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:21 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
For instance, I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me if I'm Chinese, and I respond "no, I'm Japanese." I can't tell you how many times I've recieved a following "Whatever" afterwards.

If you knew how many Americans don't know the difference between China and Japan you would be very afraid for the human race.

As bad as it is for me, I feel even worse for my Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Malaysian friends.

T
K
O

Your umbrage may only be appropriate towards some people under the age of 50. I say this because if one was in school in the 1950's, not on the west coast, the student might not have had any Asians in his/her class. So, we only understand that which we are familiar. It is not the fault of a person, that is older than 50, to not be familiar with Asians.

As long as you are taking umbrage, you can also point out that so many people will refer to Asians as Orientals. Oriental is a geographic location. Asian is a person. So, you can also educate many people what is the politically correct, and I'm told, the preferred term.

But, you should not be too upset, since you must know what the average Japanese American IQ is.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:27 pm
Yeah I hate the O-word, but for greater reasons that the PC one. As for the comfort in IQ, I registered at 141, but it doesn't seem to make differential equations any less maddenning. I think I experiance the same degree of struggle as any person of any race.

LOL.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:36 pm
The thing with racism is no one wants his/her group to be at the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Historically, racism corrected this, since the poorest, illiterate Caucasian could feel superior to a Black person, based on the myth of Caucasian superiority. Christianity did the same thing towards non-Christians, since only good Christians could go to Heaven.

Considering we're all humans, and can interbreed, what, other than racism, maintains the separation of groups (I won't say race, since that is an artificial construct to a biologist, I thought).

Who or what is keeping us from all mixing? The answer, I believe, is fairly obvious, but like the Kings New Suit of Clothes fable, no one wants to say.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:42 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Yeah I hate the O-word, but for greater reasons that the PC one. As for the comfort in IQ, I registered at 141, but it doesn't seem to make differential equations any less maddenning. I think I experiance the same degree of struggle as any person of any race.

LOL.

T
K
O

In my humble opinion, age will mellow your feelings. In the meantime get good grades, as best you can, and life will fall into place. And, many people do not even know how to solve the equation: 5X + 9 = 34. So, again, you are way ahead of the pack in IQ.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 09:55 am
Foofie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

LOL.

T
K
O

In my humble opinion, age will mellow your feelings. In the meantime get good grades, as best you can, and life will fall into place. And, many people do not even know how to solve the equation: 5X + 9 = 34. So, again, you are way ahead of the pack in IQ.

x=5
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 09:56 am
fishin said
Quote:
I'm being dishonest? lol Tell me, which "central elements" are necessary to understand the meaning of the word? Your claim here was that I (amongst other's) was attempting to redefine the word. It simply isn't possible to redefine a word by referencing an alreday established definition. The definition you prefer is (from my perspective) a subset of the definition I prefer - a subset that allows you to pretend that an entire range of racism either doesn't exist or is "good racism".

The central element of what this word refers to is clearly understood by you. Again:
Quote:
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

If the history of black/white relationships in the US did not contain this superior/inferior, hatred/intolerance element, then the subject of race or racism in america would be unnotable and unimportant (for simplicity in argument, I'm obviously dealing with only blacks here). Discrimination, with this element removed, becomes benign. A man, out of personal preferences, discriminates in his choices for a mate based on whether they are blonde or brunette. Not a big deal.

But you are being dishonest (or insufficiently clear-headed) here in a second manner as well regarding how language operates and how the human mind operates. The term "racism" contains all its (justifiably) negative associations precisely because of the definitional element I point to. To call a person a racist or a program racist is to apply those negative associations. To call a person or program racist is an attempt to utilize all those negative associations AND the emotional responses they will generate in a US listener. We, you or I, will respond with some ferocity if someone calls us racist precisely because of all of this. "NO", we'll respond, "I don't want to lynch anyone and I don't think blacks are inferior!"

And that's the trick being used when you or someone else labels AA as 'racist'. It is a legal strategy and it is a PR/propaganda strategy. It's been effective. But it is morally incoherent.

The ML King point, which Occam Bill seemed to be the only one to appreciate, was that such slipshod use of the term 'racism' must also apply to King, to his statements, policies and goals because they were inextricable from discriminations based on race.

To end up in a position where Strom Thurmond and ML King are both placed in the category of 'racist' is where you end up, fishin. That is both morally and intellectually incoherent.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:12 am
Foofie wrote:
The thing with racism is no one wants his/her group to be at the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Historically, racism corrected this, since the poorest, illiterate Caucasian could feel superior to a Black person, based on the myth of Caucasian superiority. Christianity did the same thing towards non-Christians, since only good Christians could go to Heaven.

Considering we're all humans, and can interbreed, what, other than racism, maintains the separation of groups (I won't say race, since that is an artificial construct to a biologist, I thought).

Who or what is keeping us from all mixing? The answer, I believe, is fairly obvious, but like the Kings New Suit of Clothes fable, no one wants to say.

Yes. There seems to be a propensity for our species to form into groups, to associate in those groups, and to use these grouping categories/memberships to define one's own value, importance, seniority etc. An unfortunate biological inheritance.

You could clear all faith groups other than baptist christian out of the US and the baptists remaining will find adequate reasons to perceive others as being stupid, slovenly, criminal, promiscuous and the fount of all evil. This is, for example, how I think of fishin.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:23 am
And here's an example of how this plays out in the modern political arena... from the National Review http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YzZmOGE4ZWNlYzY4ZmRhNjM1YWEyNWNmNTQwMTU5YmQ=

Quote:

They know they are black. They have pride in that cultural history.

Therefore, of course, they are racists.

But if Chris Matthews or myself or fishin were to say, "Golly, I really have affinity and even pride in anglo-saxon history and culture" would we receive such admonition from Mr. Derbyshire?

This will be a predictable thrush from the right if Obama is nominated. His blackness will not be suspect, just his awareness of it and any support he might engender from other blacks or whites who happen to notice that he is black and think that is would be a fine thing to have a black achieve such a level of political position.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:32 pm
blatham wrote:
fishin said
Quote:

The central element of what this word refers to is clearly understood by you. Again:
Quote:
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

If the history of black/white relationships in the US did not contain this superior/inferior, hatred/intolerance element, then the subject of race or racism in america would be unnotable and unimportant (for simplicity in argument, I'm obviously dealing with only blacks here). Discrimination, with this element removed, becomes benign. A man, out of personal preferences, discriminates in his choices for a mate based on whether they are blonde or brunette. Not a big deal.

But you are being dishonest (or insufficiently clear-headed) here in a second manner as well regarding how language operates and how the human mind operates. The term "racism" contains all its (justifiably) negative associations precisely because of the definitional element I point to. To call a person a racist or a program racist is to apply those negative associations. To call a person or program racist is an attempt to utilize all those negative associations AND the emotional responses they will generate in a US listener. We, you or I, will respond with some ferocity if someone calls us racist precisely because of all of this. "NO", we'll respond, "I don't want to lynch anyone and I don't think blacks are inferior!"

Ummmm.. No. The term racism contains the negative connotations because people used it for political gain and assigned it those negative connations - much the same way as has been done with "liberal" and "homophobic". Your need to attempt to limit the definition and usage of the word is the result of that.

I have no problem admitting that I am not color-blind. It's my issue and up to me to deal with it and check my views and opinions in an attempt to weed that out of my thinking. Overtly racist actions aren't an issue but, like everyone else, I notice who is around me and at some times I am more concerned than other times. I can freely admit that when I get on a train and the car is full of black teens I don't have the same level of comfort as I do when it is full of white middle-aged men. There is no rationale reason for the discomfort - none of them have done anything to me. Is that not still racism?

Quote:
And that's the trick being used when you or someone else labels AA as 'racist'. It is a legal strategy and it is a PR/propaganda strategy. It's been effective. But it is morally incoherent.

As opposed to the legal/political strategy of claiming that race based policies are "good"?? How is that morally coherent?

Quote:
The ML King point, which Occam Bill seemed to be the only one to appreciate, was that such slipshod use of the term 'racism' must also apply to King, to his statements, policies and goals because they were inextricable from discriminations based on race.

To end up in a position where Strom Thurmond and ML King are both placed in the category of 'racist' is where you end up, fishin. That is both morally and intellectually incoherent.

I have no problem in saying that MLK was racist. Your problem is with your yes/no, black//white, good/bad thinking.

MLK, I suspect was aware of his own racism. Your attempt to paint that as being the same as Thurmond is, in itself, intellectually dishonest.

King's "ideal" was a color-blind society and in several of his writings and speeches mention AA programs (which he often referred to as "preferential treatment") as "necessary". I can find no reference to him ever stating that he saw them as "good".

I have no doubt that King recognized that AA programs were racist - he pretty much stated as much in his 1963 Newsweek article where he called for "discrimination in reverse" as a form of social justice. He made similar comments in several of his other writings as well.

The difference therein, is that King saw AA as necessary to correct past injustices while Thurmond fought against AA while attempting to leave racist laws/polices in effect and ignoring the past injustices. Where is the intellectual honesty in saying that those are the same thing?

So yes, they'd both be in the same category - racist - along with all the rest of us. But it is a big category and not everyone sits in the same place in the sandbox as you are attempting to imply.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:07 pm
I can freely admit that when I get on a train and the car is full of black teens I don't have the same level of comfort as I do when it is full of white middle-aged men. There is no rationale reason for the discomfort - none of them have done anything to me. Is that not still racism?
-fishin

I dunno, that uneasy feeling might not be a result of racist beliefs. But an example of what some call "statistical discrimination," or as author Dinesh D'Souza put it, "rational discrimination."
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:15 pm
Mexica wrote:
I can freely admit that when I get on a train and the car is full of black teens I don't have the same level of comfort as I do when it is full of white middle-aged men. There is no rationale reason for the discomfort - none of them have done anything to me. Is that not still racism?
-fishin

I dunno, that uneasy feeling might not be a result of racist feelings. But an example of what some call "statistical discrimination," or as author Dinesh D'Souza put it, "rational discrimination."

Jesse Jackson once said that, when walking near his home in DC, he heard steps behind him and became scared. He said he felt relieved when he noted that the steps were those of white youths. He has had a hard time living down this statement.

On another, but related, matter, I have concluded that affirmative action is reverse discrimination.
0 Replies