Proper and improper uses of the term "racism"

aidan

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:28 pm
blatham wrote:
aidan said
Quote:
I agree with Asherman - racism is making a determination about someone or something based soley on race

What if the discrimination is based on a set of factors, one being race?

What if the purpose of the discrimination is to include rather than to exclude? What if, for example, a country club where blacks and jews were previously excluded from membership, sets out purposefully to recruit more blacks and more jews? Clearly their previous policy was racist and anti-semitic. Does it make any sense at all to use those same (highly and justifiably derogatory) terms to describe their present policy?

I thought about that after I posted - in terms of issues such as affirmative action and quotas and the type of preferential treatment you mentioned in your country club example. And I guess I think that it comes back to that word that someone else mentioned a few posts back - "inherently"

If someone believes that a person needs a leg up because they are latently and inherently inferior due to their racial heritage, and not because of the cultural limits which may have been placed upon them because of their racial heritage in a specific environment - I'd call that racist.

Otherwise I'd call it racial inclusion- as opposed to racism.

But I do find it sort of offensive to think that some people believe that if they were to ask a black man or woman why he or she might vote for Barach Obama- their question might most honestly be answered with the statement: "Because he has black skin and so do I."
That's demeaning and undermining of both the candidate's achievements and the voter's intelligence.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:30 pm
Foofie wrote:
First of all, can't a club, be it a country club or other type of club, have membership policies, based on the fact it is a private club?

If it is a "public club" like a public swimming pool, then I understand everyone must be allowed to join. Why must a private club be allowed to allow everyone to join? Otherwise, it is not a private club.

Now there are country clubs that are "Jewish" (owned and operated by Jews; perhaps affiliated with a Temple?) And, they may have originated from the time that the "other" country clubs wouldn't accept Jews. But, what if today there are Jews that may not want to golf at a country club where many of the women have cutsey names like Midge or Buffy and men talk about their hunting exploits. In other words, many Jews like to socialize mainly with other Jews, and when they have a non-Jewish friend it tends to be another ethnic, many times Italian-American. Is this racism? I hope not, since otherwise our right to pursue happiness in the United States may be gone.

Naturally, the image of being exclusive might be prevented, since every private club can have a few "tokens." So a white/Gentile country club can have a few token Blacks and Jews. A Jewish country club can have a few Gentiles, both Black and White (Democratic Jews might just prefer golfing with the Black members; there's no enhancing one's liberal image by golfing with a plain vanilla Gentile).

My point is, what is supposed to be racist, from past history, might today just be exercising one's preferences based on maintaining one's social image. (Jews, I believe, are outside the WASP game of social class, even though some may think that's not true. Perhaps one day, but I think the WASP game of social class has been entrenched too long to allow for any change in membership rules; just my opinion.)

By the way, I believe there's an entire social ladder that exists in Catholic Spanish Latin America that most Americans are not aware of. I think it harkens back to Spain circa the 1500's. I think these thread's questions wouldn't be asked in Latin America, since the societies there do not, I believe, promulgate the myth, like the United States, that "we're all equal." In Latin America people know who is on the top of the heap, the "family" owning land and other wealth.

The United States has this great need to promulgate the myth that everyone is equal? At least in the current times. If anyone remembers watching Bonanza on TV, were the Cartwrights just like journeymen cowboys? Uhh, no!

Whether a private club ought to have or retain the 'right' to have racist policies is another matter which I won't deal with here.

As regards your final paragraphs, 'equality' in the sense it is used in your nation's founding documents and in the sense which comes into play in our discussion, doesn't refer to equality in material wealth, power or talent but rather to equality in opportunity through equality in access to the rights and priviledges of the community.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:43 pm
aidan said
Quote:

...If someone believes that a person needs a leg up because they are latently and inherently inferior due to their racial heritage, and not because of the cultural limits which may have been placed upon them because of their racial heritage in a specific environment - I'd call that racist.

Otherwise I'd call it racial inclusion- as opposed to racism.

But I do find it sort of offensive to think that some people believe that if they were to ask a black man or woman why he or she might vote for Barach Obama- their question might most honestly be answered with the statement: "Because he has black skin and so do I."
That's demeaning and undermining of both the candidate's achievements and the voter's intelligence.

Aidan
On your first point, yes, some other term or phrasing helps to make the critical differentiation. Unless we do make such a clear differentiation, then someone like Strom Thurmond can describe, say, the affirmative action policies of the seventies as 'racist' and therefore, obviously, bad.

On the second point, I think you minimize the experience of minority oppression and institutional/cultural inequality. My mother, if she were still alive, would be doing cartwheels to see a woman so close to the Presidency and it would be because of gender. Finally!! she would have said.

Even Karl Rove, talking on Fox last Tuesday evening, acknowledged the normalcy and understandability of, as he put it, "african americans wishing to see on of their own" rise to the Presidency. These are normal tendencies in us and speak to our sense of community.

It's not that they don't like whites in the Presidency. It's that it sure is time to see their community included as well.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:57 pm
blatham wrote:
For those interested in digging into some of the history on the right's attempts to roll back civil rights legislation and, particularly pertinent here, to redefine the notion of 'racism' into something ahistorical and really quite meaningless precisely in the manner that we've seen georgeob, asherman and fishin do here and in the Obama thread, there are a few key players to read up on. Wikipedia has some good information and links which will extend your sources of research. And I particularly recommend Nina J. Easton's book The Gang of Five for its chapter on one key player who you've likely never heard of but who has been a foundational character in this story, Clint Bollick. But there is much elsewhere online re Bollick.

So, he's the first key actor. Along with Chip Mellor, Bollick founded the Institute for Justice, our second key actor. Small piece on it at wikipedia . Note the funding source that facilitated its startup... the Koch family.

The third actor we'll note here is The Federalist Society and there's lots and lots available on the very important 'think tank'. See here for starters. Note again the key funding sources for this group...Koch, Bradley, Olin, Scaife, Coors etc.

And those very rich, very right wing families constitute another key player in this story (and other related stories).

Again, for those who might be interested in digging down a bit here, I'll link in two pieces which will help shed some light on those funding families I mention above and on the broader efforts on the right to create and organize institutions to bring about desired political ends.

http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2004/Republican-Propaganda1sep04.htm

http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/21192/
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:08 pm
I was not implying any moral judgment about racism in my post. When I was saying that the club policy was "highly" racist I could have just as well said "very" racist...and not saying if this was a good thing or not.

In my moral view some racism is appropriate. There are real biologic and social differences between the races, some of this difference is genetic based and some is formed by social environment. Americans are WAY WAY too concerned about race though, and militant multi-culturalists are some of the worst offenders. When I run across them I am always wanting to ask "what, are we like in fifth grade? Can we talk about something important now?"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:34 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
I was not implying any moral judgment about racism in my post. When I was saying that the club policy was "highly" racist I could have just as well said "very" racist...and not saying if this was a good thing or not.

In my moral view some racism is appropriate. There are real biologic and social differences between the races, some of this difference is genetic based and some is formed by social environment. Americans are WAY WAY too concerned about race though, and militant multi-culturalists are some of the worst offenders. When I run across them I am always wanting to ask "what, are we like in fifth grade? Can we talk about something important now?"

Yes, I think you are avoiding moral issues absolutely inherant to the history and meaning of the term. That's precisely the problem.

As to whether american culture thinks about or talks about race too much, I'd want to survey people who aren't white to see if their experiences lead them to the same perspective as your own. It is difficult, perhaps even impossible, for me to understand the experiences of a female. I can guess, imagine, presume...but that's it.

I'm not sure exactly who or what you refer to with "militant multi-culturalists". But I think I get the general drift as this is a commonplace in modern american conservative movement thought.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:38 pm
Quote:
blatham wrote:

On the second point, I think you minimize the experience of minority oppression and institutional/cultural inequality. My mother, if she were still alive, would be doing cartwheels to see a woman so close to the Presidency and it would be because of gender. Finally!! she would have said.

Even Karl Rove, talking on Fox last Tuesday evening, acknowledged the normalcy and understandability of, as he put it, "african americans wishing to see on of their own" rise to the Presidency. These are normal tendencies in us and speak to our sense of community.

It's not that they don't like whites in the Presidency. It's that it sure is time to see their community included as well.

That's an interesting point. I think it depends somewhat on the age of the voters you're talking about. As a woman myself, I don't feel strongly one way or another about a woman being elected - BUT- I think that's because I didn't come of age at a time when a woman's opportunities were particularly limited by gender - as was true for your mother. Thus, I can understand how it would mean much more to her to see it than it does to me.
I guess I think it's inevitable at some point- and I'm pretty sure I'll still be alive to see it, - so right now, my main concern is that the best candidate prevails-gender or race aside.

I admit though, maybe my view is skewed - because I've been talking to a lot of young black adults (18-25 age range)- and believe it or not - they (male and female alike) seem to be backing Hillary Clinton. Of course, I am in New York - and these are New Yorkers- but they also don't seem to have that need to see a black person prevail (or at least they haven't voiced that).
But that may be because they've grown up with inclusion- they don't even seem to see Obama's victories as particularly historic in any way. And I'm sure that is very different from how black adults who came of age before and during civil rights were enacted for them in this country.

When I ask them why they would vote for Hillary Clinton, most often the answer I get is that she comes with Bill- and they see that as a definite plus. And I'm sure that's what they've heard their parents express as her major strength. He (Bill Clinton) is a proven entity to them whereas Obama (though black) isn't. I think that's telling.

I also think cultural inequality and minority oppression (especially if it's been internalized) can work to produce the opposite effect of the one you propose in some instances. Especially because of the image of black men that's been presented in the media to them over and over throughout their lifetimes - they often do not trust other black people- especially men, as many of these young people have not grown up with fathers, etc... They've come to accept the view of their people, especially men, that they're constantly shown. Add to that Obama's Muslim connections and it's definitely not the slam dunk for him that one might assume it would be.

What he has working for him is that he's a more than suitable candidate - and I think that's the credit he should be given, moreso than the race of his father.

But again - I think age (maybe even moreso than race) is probably a major factor in all of this.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:41 pm
I find that a very tempered and thoughtful post, aidan.

We've just moved away from new york to oregon. We were in the upper east side of manhattan for three years. I reallllly miss it.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:49 pm
Thanks - and thanks for posting such an interesting and thought provoking topic.

I can understand how you'd miss the city - every time I go I'm reminded- there's no place quite like it in the world. And when you talk to the people who live there - almost to a man or woman they say they'd never live anyplace else.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
Are you still with us George? Try this one:
Sergeant Preston persuasively wrote:
What if, for example, a country club where blacks and jews were previously excluded from membership, sets out purposefully to recruit more blacks and more jews?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:11 pm
blatham wrote:

Yes, I think you are avoiding moral issues absolutely inherant to the history and meaning of the term. That's precisely the problem.

As to whether American culture thinks about or talks about race too much, I'd want to survey people who aren't white to see if their experiences lead them to the same perspective as your own. It is difficult, perhaps even impossible, for me to understand the experiences of a female. I can guess, imagine, presume...but that's it.

Those who think in terms of race will see everything in terms of race, perception becomes reality. Another person's perception is not mine, their reality is not mine, and I would be dishonoring myself and my experience if I accepted someone else's other than my own as my own. For this reason the views of others have a right to exist and to be expressed, but no right to expect me to cater to them.

Re historical racism.....I am not responsible for the sins of my father. If somebody has a problem with what my ancestors did they should feel free to take it up with them in the after life, but leave me out of it. if they have a problem with me then by all mean come and talk to me about it, lets see if we can work it out. I am however not predisposed to accept race as an excuse, a reason, or a justification for much of anything. The one with the problem with me will probably need to have a different argument if they want me to take them seriously.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 11:00 pm
blatham wrote:
I find that a very tempered and thoughtful post, aidan.

We've just moved away from new york to oregon. We were in the upper east side of manhattan for three years. I reallllly miss it.

You mean there is no other city that offers a walk like from 116th Street, south along Broadway, to Broadway/West Houston?

But I am curious what makes Manhattan so attractive, in your opinion?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 11:03 pm
I think Dinesh D'Souza said it well:

"Although the term is used in various ways, the basic meaning of racism is clear. Racism is a theory of intellectual or moral superiority based upon the physical characteristics of race. According to Webster~ New World Dictionary, it refers to a "doctrine of teaching.. that claims to find racial differences in character and intelligence" and that "asserts the superiority of one race over another, as well as "any program or practice of racial discrimination or segregation based on such beliefs."

From this definition one must meet four criteria to qualify as a racist.

* First, one must believe in the existence of biologically distinguishable races.
* Second, one must rank these in terms of superior and inferior groups.
* Third, one must hold these rankings to be intrinsic or innate.
* Finally, one must seek to use them as the basis for denying other people their rights based on their membership in a particular racial group."
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:11 am
I'll make no comment on defining racism. however I will make the comment that here in the US, I feel like issues of race are treated very black and white and it frustrates the hel out of me.

The black-white conflict has so overshadowed every other element of racial conflict it is getting offensive.

Hispanics are often lumped in with African americans with many issues while asians are either ignored or lumped in with the whites as a "model minority. native americans fight for a piece of the american pie but must dived their limited media share with the other issue of regaining their diginity in a country which has all but committed genocide on them. Next, terms like Hispanic, Asian, Black, and White (etc) only rob further cultural identity.

For instance, I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me if I'm Chinese, and I respond "no, I'm Japanese." I can't tell you how many times I've recieved a following "Whatever" afterwards. To my friends from central america, I'm sure you've been asked if you are Mexican. I feel your annoyance.

I hate this ****. I always get pissed off.

I need a nightcap.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:23 am
Diest TKO wrote:
To my friends from central america, I'm sure you've been asked if you are Mexican. I feel your annoyance.
They should be so lucky. Laughing
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:29 am
Diest TKO wrote:
For instance, I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me if I'm Chinese, and I respond "no, I'm Japanese." I can't tell you how many times I've recieved a following "Whatever" afterwards.

If you knew how many Americans don't know the difference between China and Japan you would be very afraid for the human race.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:37 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
For instance, I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me if I'm Chinese, and I respond "no, I'm Japanese." I can't tell you how many times I've recieved a following "Whatever" afterwards.

If you knew how many Americans don't know the difference between China and Japan you would be very afraid for the human race.

As bad as it is for me, I feel even worse for my Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Malaysian friends.

T
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 02:15 am
Diest TKO wrote:

As bad as it is for me, I feel even worse for my Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Malaysian friends.

No, most Americans have heard of Vietnam (we had a little mis-adventure there once upon a time)....just don't ask any of us to find it on a map. Some of us foodies know a good Vietnamese restaurant or two though, if that helps any.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 02:20 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

No, most Americans have heard of Vietnam (we had a little mis-adventure there once upon a time)....just don't ask any of us to find it on a map. Some of us foodies know a good Vietnamese restaurant or two though, if that helps any.

No. Now I just want some Pho. It's not good to eat this late. LOL.

T
K
O
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 07:01 am
blatham wrote:
For those interested in digging into some of the history on the right's attempts to roll back civil rights legislation and, particularly pertinent here, to redefine the notion of 'racism' into something ahistorical and really quite meaningless precisely in the manner that we've seen georgeob, asherman and fishin do here and in the Obama thread, there are a few key players to read up on.

You are just being silly. How did I attempt to "redefine" the word racism? By referring to the established definition as listed in popular dictionaries? How does one redefine a word by referring to an established definition? Question

If there is anyone attempting to redefine the word here, it is you.

blatham wrote:
To use the same term, racism (or anti-semitism), to refer to actions or values which seek to redress such prior historical imbalances is to remove the most fundamental sense of that term. And that's precisely WHY it is being used in the manner you recommend. If it is 'racist' to forward policies or laws which work to redress the enormous prior disadvantages which blacks have suffered in America, then to attempt such laws or policies is just as bad as the earlier racism of lynchings etc. It must be a negative or destructive or immoral thing because it is 'racist'. Quite a little trick.

As compared to the "trick" of ignoring definitions and only using those that fit some skewed political agenda?? Shall we apply the same logic to "crime"? Let's keep rape and murder but jeez, petty theft isn't on the same scale so let's not call that one a crime any more, ok? Wink

But no, it isn't "just as bad" to have laws that are racist to redress past racism. There are various shades of grey and your attempt to paint them all as being the same is intellectually dishonest. That's propaganda on your part.

blatham wrote:
Aidan
On your first point, yes, some other term or phrasing helps to make the critical differentiation. Unless we do make such a clear differentiation, then someone like Strom Thurmond can describe, say, the affirmative action policies of the seventies as 'racist' and therefore, obviously, bad.

What shall we call it then? How about "not being nice"??

But you see, your idea here has flaws as well. If you call it something else then it also allows the more sublte forms of racism to continue and be swept under the rug.

You seem to have your own bit of propoaganda going here. Even amongst popular groups that advocate for the necessity of AA programs, there is an implicit admission that the programs are racist/sexist. Every time they state that AA is necessary "until there is equeal opportunity/pay/etc..." it is an admission that they are aware that the programs themselves discriminate. It is an admission that at some future point, when those issues of racism/sexism are eliminated, the program should go away. If the AA programs are seen by their own advocates as temporary then how can anyone claim that they aren't exactly what they are?

If the programs aren't "bad", then why would there be an "until"?? (And there is. I offer the NOW WWW site as but one example.)

While legal, the entire concept of AA violates the entire spirit of equality. Yes, AA is seen as necessary to compensate for past injustices but that doesn't mean that it isn't racist/sexist.

By pretending that all racism isn't a negative you also undercut attempts to weed out the more subtle forms of racism that others readily recogniize. Your definition undercuts the efforts to show raciism in the death penalty debate for example. It also flies in the face of numerous claims of racism as a factor in the concept of "white flight" from urban areas.

These are not overtly racist activites in the sense of slavery or "whites only" bathrooms and luncheon counters however they are widely recognized as examples of racism and to deny that they are, also allows people to ignore attempts to eliminate them.
0 Replies