Quadraplegic Thrown From Wheelchair by Deputy

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:42 pm
JLN- I agree, to an extent. To a person whose world is becoming inexorably confused and shrinking, I believe that there is that attempt to maintain one's dignity, one's sense of empowerment, one's sense of his control of his world.

It is difficult to separate out how much of the paranoia is adaptive, and how much is a result of the confusion itself. Some of the problem has to do with the loss of short term memory. A person puts something away, and then forgets where it is. The person's conclusion may very well be, especially in a congregate care facility where thievery is not unknown, that someone has taken the item.

When my mom was still living alone, and in her nineties, she had a cleaning lady. This woman was very energetic. At that point my mother's memory was slipping, but cognitively she was not in too bad shape.

My mom showed me where there were scratches on her furniture, all a few inches off the floor. She claimed that the cleaning lady, in her zeal, had been banging the vacuum cleaner into the furniture. I told her to tell the woman to be more careful.

The woman called me, and told me that my mom had a walker that had an exposed nut on the wheel. Apparently, when my mom turned a corner, she leaned to one side, and that was what had been causing the scratches.

I checked, and found that the cleaning lady was absolutely right. I tried the best that I could to explain what had happened to my mother, but she would not be convinced. She could not, or would not believe that she was causing the problem herself.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:02 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. - A Florida sheriff's deputy who was videotaped dumping a paralyzed man out of his wheelchair onto a jailhouse floor has turned herself in.

Jail records show Charlette Marshall-Jones was booked into the Orient Road Jail early this morning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23197160/

Wonderful! She is out on bail. Besides seeing justice done in this case, I hope that this incident becomes a catalyst for a full investigation into the behavior the people in the jail who are charged with enforcing the law.

I was very upset when I saw the film, not only because of what she did, but because the other people around her did not seem to react like anything was awry. This would indicate to me that these sorts of things go on in that jail on a regular basis! Evil or Very Mad
[/b]

Noone gets it, THERE WASN'T ANYTHING "AWRY" THIS IS NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOONE SEES THE OTHER SIDE
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:52 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Wonderful professional attitude, Phoenix. I also think that it's important to enable people to exercise as much control over their lives as possible. And your effort to persuade individuals that it's in their interest to commit themselves is also an effort to induce them to CHOOSE to be committed. And in so doing exercise, or at least feel that they are exercising, a degree of autonomy.
One of the things I've noticed with people in "rest homes" is a kind of low-grade paranoia wherein they suspect everyone of stealing from them. On those occasions when I could determine that this was not so, I concluded that such efforts were actually efforts to retain a sense of one's autonomy and power. Does that sound possible to you?

Here in the apartments, many older persons chronically suspect people of trying to steal from them. Don't know for sure why.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:57 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I posted the idea of racism on the utube clip and people dont seem to like it.
They also dont seem to get it.

But.. eh.. oh well.
There is a white cop that comes in at the end and he seemed to think it was pretty funny. Maybe it's just a cop thing. I hate cops. (most of the time)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 06:12 am
Quote:
Charlette Marshall-Jones, the detention deputy who dropped a quadriplegic man out of a wheelchair last month, has resigned, Hillsborough County deputies say.

Sheriff David Gee accepted her resignation today, but an Internal Affairs investigation is still ongoing, a sheriff's office news release says.

On Jan. 29, video cameras recorded Marshall-Jones raising the back of a wheelchair and sending Brian Sterner to the floor. Sterner, 32, of Riverview, was taken to the jail on a warrant stemming from a traffic violation.

Marshall-Jones, 44, submitted her resignation Friday and turned herself in at Orient Road Jail on Saturday morning. Deputies arrested her on a charge of abuse of a disabled person, records show.

"She didn't want to get fired, which was inevitable. It's as simple as that," said her attorney, Norman Cannella Sr. "With all the furor that was caused over this and the position the sheriff and staff have taken, you've got to be a complete idiot to think that she wouldn't be fired."

Link

The article goes on to say that she will be receiving a pension. I am curious as to whether she would receive that pension, had she been fired first.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 08:29 am
Of course you don't get a pension if you're fired. That's why she resigned. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 08:34 am
eoe wrote:
Of course you don't get a pension if you're fired. That's why she resigned. Rolling Eyes

I wonder what will happen to the pension if she is convicted??? As far as knowing what would happen if she had been fired first, this is Florida, which I have found is unlike most any other place of which I have been familiar, Shocked
0 Replies