Quadraplegic Thrown From Wheelchair by Deputy

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:33 am
Apparently the man was taken into custody on a warrant coming out of a traffic infraction. He is a quadraplegic. The deputy at the jail ordered him to stand up, which he obviously couldn't. The deputy then upended his wheelchair, and tossed him on the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4hQT6Q2iqc

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h-hklFGiLlaBODhRuLScFLAzfn0QD8UR669G1

What do you think of this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,712 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:36 am
Quote:
What do you think of this?

The woman, who threw the invalid on the ground weighs about 300 pounds and could benefit from a diet.

The big, gutless cow. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:49 am
To send a wheelchair bound person to jail is to commit them to pain and unsanitary conditions that are truly unfair.

They will not be repositioned as often as they need to be.
People will not want to dress them
Feed them? Sure.. they have to do that

It is a gateway to a life of bedsores, urinary tract infections and bad body hygiene.

I would almost be for specific places for quadriplegics to spend their jail sentences.
( Im sure there are some out there? I just dont know of any that exist)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:01 am
Quote:
Surveillance footage from Jan. 29 shows Hillsborough County deputy Charlette Marshall-Jones, 44, dumping Brian Sterner out of his wheelchair and searching him on the floor after he was brought in on a warrant after a traffic violation.

Good grief.......a TRAFFIC violation. This man was not John Dillinger.

shewolfnm- I agree with what you are saying, but I think your point, well taken, is an entirely separate isssue. I don't think that there was a question of this man going to jail, at this point.

IMO, what I am addressing the issue of little people who use the power of their positions in completely unacceptable ways.

I would love to see Marshall-Jones get some jail time. I think that the other inmates would mete out some appropriate justice to her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:28 am
Even if the man could have stood, I suspect that person would have found another way to abuse him. Definitely fire and even incarcerate the officer.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:28 am
edgar- The last thing that I heard is that the deputy is nowhere to be found. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:15 pm
The deputy turned herself in to the police this morning. She has been charged with something like abuse of a disabled person. She has been released on $3500 bail.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:25 pm
Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. - A Florida sheriff's deputy who was videotaped dumping a paralyzed man out of his wheelchair onto a jailhouse floor has turned herself in.

Jail records show Charlette Marshall-Jones was booked into the Orient Road Jail early this morning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23197160/

Wonderful! She is out on bail. Besides seeing justice done in this case, I hope that this incident becomes a catalyst for a full investigation into the behavior the people in the jail who are charged with enforcing the law.

I was very upset when I saw the film, not only because of what she did, but because the other people around her did not seem to react like anything was awry. This would indicate to me that these sorts of things go on in that jail on a regular basis! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 09:54 pm
The footage is rather disturbing, isn't it.

Working in a watchhouse may be a bit like working in a psych ward - those who work with mentally ill people on a daily basis can often eventually become rather disturbed themselves.

Those that work with bad/violent people on a daily basis...

Actually, a prison/watchhouse without a doubt would have to deal with way more bad/violent/stupid/dysfunctional people than the numbers of mentally ill people a psychiatrist would have to deal with (though psychiatrists would talk more with the ones they have)

It does appear systematic in that watchhouse. I wonder if it's ever been studied.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:33 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
I was very upset when I saw the film, not only because of what she did, but because the other people around her did not seem to react like anything was awry. This would indicate to me that these sorts of things go on in that jail on a regular basis! Evil or Very Mad [/color][/b]

What probably goes on on a regular basis are jokers who will do anything, even lying about an infirmity, to get out of paying a traffic ticket. Now, I'm not saying that the deputy was right to do what she did. It was stupid, ignorant and obviously the consequences of making the wrong choice were not fully considered, but I can appreciate the characters they must encounter daily and the frustrations of being toyed with and lied to. For some reason, she apparently had reason to believe that he was not truly handicapped. But she should have thought her actions through. It was a stupid thing to do.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:40 pm
And even if she DID think he truly could stand up, she should have seen the error of her thinking when he did not get up.

A simple apology and assisting him back to his chair could have gone a long way.

( No. I did not see the video. I refuse to. So if my comment is off base, or not possible due to her actions.. I have no way of knowing.. )
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:41 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

shewolfnm- I agree with what you are saying, but I think your point, well taken, is an entirely separate isssue. I don't think that there was a question of this man going to jail, at this point.

Yes. It is a separate issue.. I did not really finish my rambling..
I was thinking along the lines of WHY this person would be running from the cops in the first place and it dawned on me what kind of life they would have in jail and understood completely.

but yes.. it is a separate issue..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:51 pm
Bullies should never be authorized to exercise force on others. Officer of the law should be psychologically screened and paid well for the objectivity and patience they must exercise.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:08 pm
By the way, I was thinking further about this.

It's well enough known that everyone at a watchhouse gets searched (it makes the news here every now and then)...and the only way to search a person in a wheelchair is to get them out of the wheelchair.

The deputy more than likely said "Get out of your chair", which the paraplegic (not quadraplegic) guy probably took as "Stand up!"

To which he could have replied "I can't (-you stupid bitch!)!"

At which point he was being obstructionist, while under arrest, in a watchhouse.

Of course, that's entirely a guess, and really only just one possibility out of many.

Then again, the very short footage shoes the arrested guy as not doing anything...and the deputy by going into hiding obviously thinks she did something wrong. And she has been charged, so there's obviously a case there for it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:09 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
And even if she DID think he truly could stand up, she should have seen the error of her thinking when he did not get up.

A simple apology and assisting him back to his chair could have gone a long way.

( No. I did not see the video. I refuse to. So if my comment is off base, or not possible due to her actions.. I have no way of knowing.. )
You havn't seen the video?!?!? Just watch it.

One thing nobody is mentioning or talking about is that all four deputies/uniformed employees in the room are black and the guy in the wheel chair is white. Everybody watches.

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything. But I do think that all races are capable of the same ugly racism and abuse of power.

and I do find it strange that nobody talks about it as if they didn't notice it. You can bet white nationalist will be talking about it.

Black, white or polka dot. That bitch needs to be fired and everybody else should be suspened witout pay for watching like cowards.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:17 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

Don't, I know it ain't good fer ya.

I will say little other than that this does not shock me in the least. Common tactics, and jail is not a fun place, unless you are a Hilton...

RH
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 11:34 am
Amigo's right on.
Racism is a HUMAN failing, something to be condemned wherever it is expressed and/or practiced. The same applies to sexism. It's interesting that the vicitms of both racism and sexism tend to feel that their social category ("race" or gender) cannot do to others what has been done to them. This is an effective hiding place for both sexism and racism.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 11:53 am
Amigo- I noticed what you did too, but I kept my mouth shut, until you brought it up. What crossed my mind was what the reaction would have been if the deputies were white, and the man in the wheelchair black. I think that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would have been on the first plane out to Tampa. So far, I have heard not a peep from either of them.

JLN- What is interesting is that the man in the wheelchair thought in terms of his disability, not race.

If you look at this dispassionately though, what we have is a person in a position of power, using that power in an unconscionable way.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 12:07 pm
Yes, Phoenix. That was my earlier point about bullies in authority. I now notice that my comments referred to the oppression and reactions of race and gender victims and not about what was pertinent here: disabled people.
As they now say: My bad!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 12:39 pm
Oh my god.

I just watched it.
How horrible. How embarrassing for that man. How disgusting of a person do you have to be to dump another human being like that?

For christs sake.. there were THREE people there. You could have HELD HIM UP to search his back pockets, or at least locked his chair and just leaned him forward.

How in the world can people really be so heartless, emotionless, SPINELESS .. and just.. DO THAT to someone?

And yeah.. with in a few seconds my very first thought was 3 black cops and one white man.
Sorry, but that is the truth. I am not saying it is 100% racially motivated, but that was the first thing I noticed besides it being a man in a wheelchair.

Another thing that struck me was that this appeared to be done right out in plain sight.
Not in a secret room. Not in a corner. Right up at the front counter.
So this is regular treatment? Treating people like trash?

All three of them should be fired, sued and given felony charges.

Let them live as felons for a while AND be black.. their lives will be hell.

Sickening.
0 Replies