0
   

"The Mindless Menace of Violence"

 
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:27 am
aidan wrote:
Quote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Where is your friend living?

I think he said Mayberry.

David


Quote:

I don't think there is a real MAYBERRY, North Carolina. I know the real town the fictional Mayberry NC was based on in the Andy Griffith show is this little town called Mount Airy, North Carolina. It's located north of Winston Salem and not too far south of the Virginia border. It's a cute little town - but I wouldn't want to live there...(especially without Andy, Barney, Aunt Bee and Opie to make it entertaining).

Talk about constricting (as you did on that other thread)- small town/small mind constriction can be the worst David- having lived in NYC your entire life- I don't think you have any idea.

Has your friend had anything to say about that aspect of it?

He loves the place.
His girlfriend (who accompanied him from L.I.) is an ex-RN, and an artist.
He is working on art.

Forgive my failure of memory:
I said something about "constricting" ? What did I say ? In which thread ?

Its true that I don 't have an idea about constriction in small towns.
Will u fill me in on this ?
0 Replies
 
aidan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 05:36 am
You said you didn't like to be constricted on that nudity/sex on tv and children thread.


I remember, because I remember thinking that I don't like to be constricted either.

The whole small town thing is really interesting. I think a lot depends on the mindset of the people. There are definite advantages to living in a small town I think.
I was really afraid to go live in the first small town that I did- I had heard so many negatives about people being in your business, etc. But what I found was that people really got to know you and care about you - for instance when my books were due at the library, the librarian would call to remind me and ask me if I was coming in or did I just want her to renew them - stuff like that- the guy at the corner store would save a copy of the NY Times for me every Sunday...you know the postman's name - everyone knows and is looking out for your kids' safety, there was even still an avon lady where we lived - it was nice.

The downside is that you lose any sort of anonymity you might have had in a larger setting. But like I said, it can go either way. I went to this small, alternative college that attracted people with VERY open minds and the smallness of the place pretty much intensified the feeling that everyone was free to be what they wanted to be and do what they wanted to be - it was almost like this little oasis of freedom in which the rules of society either might or might not apply- which would be scary if you had people who were looking to take advantage maliciously (or who were predatory to use your word) but was wonderful because the people who were there were not only extraordinarily accepting and tolerant - they were creative thinkers who were interested in making a positive contribution and were not interested in hurting anyone.

Maine was kind of like that too- we lived in this town that was almost where the roads stopped and the unadulterated forests began- and same thing- the rules were just different.
In fact I think there is more of a hedonistic sort of mindset that goes along with those situations - and a fierce spirit of individualism- which as long as its directed positively is wonderful.

The downside only comes when you have a group of people in a small town who have decided its their way or no way - and the environment is closed enough to impact another persons' ability to function in the town. As much as I felt accepted and embraced by that small town in Maine, I watched a friend of mine just really suffer - because she wasn't and couldn't be what they thought she should be (she was a single mom with a drinking issue) and JESUS did they come down hard on her. She finally just had to move.

So I think it all depends on who you are and the collective mindset of the town- because the sense of collective is much stronger in a small town.

I'm glad your friends like it - I always love to go back to my college (going back next weekend) and the town I lived in in Maine. It always brings me a real feeling of connectedness and wonderful memories.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:01 am
aidan wrote:
You said you didn't like to be constricted on that nudity/sex on tv and children thread.


I remember, because I remember thinking that I don't like to be constricted either.

I wonder Y I was considering the issue
of constrictedness; I 'll have to check that thread.
I don 't believe that we ever got a plausible answer
qua Y some parents superfreak out if their child sees nudity.

One parent called the police on a little boy of about 5
for playing "doctor" (I don 't beleive that he had a real doctorate)
accusing him of being a pervert.
I don 't know whether he was put on the sexual predators list.





Quote:

The whole small town thing is really interesting.
I think a lot depends on the mindset of the people.
There are definite advantages to living in a small town I think.
I was really afraid to go live in the first small town that I did-
I had heard so many negatives about people being in your business, etc.

Was it Roosevelt who said that the only thing
we have to fear is boredom ?





Quote:

But what I found was that people really got to know you and care about you -
for instance when my books were due at the library, the librarian would call
to remind me and ask me if I was coming in or did I just want her
to renew them - stuff like that- the guy at the corner store would save a
copy of the NY Times for me every Sunday...you know the postman's name -

That sure is friendly.


Quote:

everyone knows and is looking out for your kids' safety,

How does that sit with the kids ? in terms of privacy n autonomy ?



Quote:

there was even still an avon lady where we lived - it was nice.

The downside is that you lose any sort of anonymity
you might have had in a larger setting.

I value my anonymity.
I 'm glad I 'm not famous.



Quote:

But like I said, it can go either way. I went to this small, alternative

How was it alternative ?



Quote:

college that attracted people with VERY open minds and the smallness of the place pretty much intensified the feeling that everyone was free to be what they wanted to be and do what they wanted to be - it was almost like this little oasis of freedom in which the rules of society either might or might not apply-

I was an individualist-libertarian when I went to college.
It did not occur to me that my freedom might be in question.
Truly, it never occurred to me to question the degree to which
anyone 's mind was open.

How did this matter arise to your scrutiny or analysis ?




Quote:
which would be scary if you had people who were looking
to take advantage maliciously (or who were predatory to use your word)

I use malice too,
when discussing politically correct authoritarian-collectivists.



Quote:

but was wonderful because the people who were there were not only
extraordinarily accepting and tolerant -

Specificly what did thay accept ?
What did thay tolerate ? How did this sit with your father ?





Quote:
they were creative thinkers who were interested in making a
positive contribution and were not interested in hurting anyone.

What thinking did thay create ?
What did thay contribute ?



Quote:

Maine was kind of like that too- we lived in this town that was almost where
the roads stopped and the unadulterated forests began- and same thing-
the rules were just different.

In fact I think there is more of a hedonistic sort of mindset that goes
along with those situations - and a fierce spirit of individualism-
which as long as its directed positively is wonderful.

Yeah; have u tried Las Vegas ? U might like it better than England
( and u can understand the natives better ).
Elvis was RIGHT !

How did thay gratify their hedonistic mindset ?





Quote:

The downside only comes when you have a group of people in a small
town who have decided its their way or no way - and the environment is
closed enough to impact another persons' ability to function in the town.

Do thay have jurisdiction for that ?


Quote:

As much as I felt accepted and embraced by that small town in Maine,
I watched a friend of mine just really suffer - because she wasn't and
couldn't be what they thought she should be (she was a single mom with
a drinking issue) and JESUS did they come down hard on her. She finally just had to move.

Some folks don 't like that.





Quote:

So I think it all depends on who you are and the collective mindset of the town-
because the sense of collective is much stronger in a small town.

I c.


Quote:

I'm glad your friends like it -
I always love to go back to my college (going back next weekend)
and the town I lived in in Maine.

What do u DO there ?


Quote:
It always brings me a real feeling of connectedness and wonderful memories.

I 'd imagine that u 'd find a lot of strangers.

Do u still have another response outstanding ?
0 Replies
 
aidan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 08:49 pm
Quote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
aidan wrote:
You said you didn't like to be constricted on that nudity/sex on tv and children thread.


I remember, because I remember thinking that I don't like to be constricted either.

I wonder Y I was considering the issue
of constrictedness; I 'll have to check that thread.

Marriage - I said it can be constricting - that's how it came up.
Quote:
I don 't believe that we ever got a plausible answer
qua Y some parents superfreak out if their child sees nudity.

Well, I think I have a plausible answer- I think it's all about how the parent feels about his or her own nudity. Are they comfortable with it? Are they uncomfortable with it? However they feel, that's most likely the feeling they will then project upon how their child might feel experiencing viewing nudity.
Although, as I said, I don't believe this has to be adopted by a child as his or her own attitude. I think how they intrinsically feel within themselves will trump any embarrassement the parent subconsciously communicates or even consciously tries to instill.
I think the bottom line is that people gotta be who the;y gotta be.
That's why constriction is such a drag.

Quote:
One parent called the police on a little boy of about 5
for playing "doctor" (I don 't beleive that he had a real doctorate)
Laughing
Quote:
accusing him of being a pervert.

how ridiculous
Quote:
I don 't know whether he was put on the sexual predators list.
I hope not.
Quote:

Quote:

The whole small town thing is really interesting.
I think a lot depends on the mindset of the people.
There are definite advantages to living in a small town I think.
I was really afraid to go live in the first small town that I did-
I had heard so many negatives about people being in your business, etc.

Was it Roosevelt who said that the only thing
we have to fear is boredom ?

I don't know - is that what he said? I try my hardest to keep from getting bored- luckily I have a lot of interests and am very, very curious - so I can usually find some entertaining and amusing way to keep myself occupied. I feel sorry for people who can't and who have to look for their entertainment by prying into the lives of other people. What the hell does that say about their own life - except that it's so boring they'd rather think about someone elses.

Quote:
Quote:

But what I found was that people really got to know you and care about you -
for instance when my books were due at the library, the librarian would call
to remind me and ask me if I was coming in or did I just want her
to renew them - stuff like that- the guy at the corner store would save a
copy of the NY Times for me every Sunday...you know the postman's name -

That sure is friendly.

Laughing Laughing I don't know why David - but that made me laugh picturing you saying in your very measured tone of voice -' That sure is friendly.'
Hey maybe you'd fit in down there in Mayberry, North Carolina too. Laughing

Yes, it was a very friendly place. I liked it.


Quote:
Quote:

everyone knows and is looking out for your kids' safety,

How does that sit with the kids ? in terms of privacy n autonomy ?

Well, I don't think my kids were out raising hell - or at least I never heard about it - so actually it was more just peace of mind- knowing that people who cared about them almost as much as I did were all around them and willing to step in and help them if they needed it.

(Which reminds me- I'd have wished I'd had a gun to shoot that guy who was beating that toddler - and I'd have used it too. I kept meaning to vote in your poll today).

Quote:
The downside is that you lose any sort of anonymity
you might have had in a larger setting.

I value my anonymity.
I 'm glad I 'm not famous.

Yeah, me too.

Quote:
Quote:

But like I said, it can go either way. I went to this small, alternative

How was it alternative ?


All the classes were seminars - maybe or fifteen students to a class. It was one of two colleges in the US at the time that had a compulsory work program. You took two classes which met everyday for eight weeks and you worked for three hours a day. It was on a working farm - so you could be on the pig crew - you could be on the cow crew - you could be on the garden crew (that's where I was) - we grew all our own food. It was pretty neat.


Quote:
Quote:

college that attracted people with VERY open minds and the smallness of the place pretty much intensified the feeling that everyone was free to be what they wanted to be and do what they wanted to be - it was almost like this little oasis of freedom in which the rules of society either might or might not apply-

I was an individualist-libertarian when I went to college.
It did not occur to me that my freedom might be in question.
Truly, it never occurred to me to question the degree to which
anyone 's mind was open.


Yeah well, it only becomes an issue when people try to tell you what to do.
And if their minds are only open to what they want you to do and closed to what you want to do yourself, the question of how open their mind is becomes a big issue.

Quote:
How did this matter arise to your scrutiny or analysis ?

At college - it never did. It was almost immediately apparent that I was free to be or do whatever I needed to be or do. It was a very liberating place. I was really happy there.

Quote:
Quote:
which would be scary if you had people who were looking
to take advantage maliciously (or who were predatory to use your word)

I use malice too,
when discussing politically correct authoritarian-collectivists.

Malice? Are you sure it's just not standing up for your own rights? I wouldn't call that malice - even if you feel negatively toward those people - don't you think you have a right to if they're trying to constrict you and limit your freedoms to which your entitled?

I'll have to look up the definition of malice - because if bad feeling is deserved - is that still malicious?

Quote:
Quote:

but was wonderful because the people who were there were not only
extraordinarily accepting and tolerant -

Specificly what did thay accept ?
Pretty much anything and everything- like one night this girl got drunk at a party and she was roller-skating nude around the student union - in and out of people dancing - and it was just funny - you know. No one made a big deal or made her feel bad about it - that was just what she felt like doing. She ended up marrying one of the professors.
Quote:
What did thay tolerate ? How did this sit with your father ?

Well my dad had wanted me to go to a 'real' school with a 'name'. But I knew it would just be more of the same old same old and I knew I wouldn't make it through so I just said, 'Let's just go see it.' So on our way to Texas to see family one summer - we went and he was very impressed by the well-kept farm (he grew up on one) and the industriousness evidenced by the work program and the fact that a good percentage of the faculty were educated at Ivy League schools - so he relented.

I never told him about any of the hedonistic, individualistic parties. He didn't need to know all of that. Laughing

Quote:
Quote:
they were creative thinkers who were interested in making a
positive contribution and were not interested in hurting anyone.

What thinking did thay create ?

Well, one of my best friends who majored in English with me there, just wrote his second, very well-received novel which was featured on the cover of the Sunday New York Times book review section (back in March of this year, I think it was).
Quote:
What did thay contribute ?

Just a lot of stuff - very thoughtful contributing people - especially environmentally.

Quote:
Quote:

Maine was kind of like that too- we lived in this town that was almost where
the roads stopped and the unadulterated forests began- and same thing-
the rules were just different.

In fact I think there is more of a hedonistic sort of mindset that goes
along with those situations - and a fierce spirit of individualism-
which as long as its directed positively is wonderful.

Yeah; have u tried Las Vegas ? U might like it better than England
( and u can understand the natives better ).

I enjoy a British accent and understand it perfectly.
Quote:
Elvis was RIGHT !

About some things maybe - but obviously not about everything.

Quote:
How did thay gratify their hedonistic mindset ?

Well they had some pretty fun parties at the golf club every Friday night.
We had a big Egg Festival every summer.
And I did find out toward the end of my stay there that there was a bit of partner/spouse swapping going on.
But maybe that goes on everywhere and I was just never aware of it or approached about it anywhere else. I was approached there - I said NO!

Quote:
Quote:

The downside only comes when you have a group of people in a small
town who have decided its their way or no way - and the environment is
closed enough to impact another persons' ability to function in the town.

Do thay have jurisdiction for that ?

They obviously think they do - and the collective gives them the power to take jurisdiction whether they should have it or not.

Quote:
Quote:

As much as I felt accepted and embraced by that small town in Maine,
I watched a friend of mine just really suffer - because she wasn't and
couldn't be what they thought she should be (she was a single mom with
a drinking issue) and JESUS did they come down hard on her. She finally just had to move.

Some folks don 't like that.

Yeah - and some folks find it very easy to be very vocal about what they don't like whether it affects them or not.

Quote:
Quote:

So I think it all depends on who you are and the collective mindset of the town-
because the sense of collective is much stronger in a small town.

I c.

That's what I like about communicating with you - I think we understand each other very well. I seldom feel that you insert your own preconceived notions about things or me - and that's refreshing.
Quote:

Quote:
I'm glad your friends like it -
I always love to go back to my college (going back next weekend)
and the town I lived in in Maine.

What do u DO there ?

I'm taking my daughter to family weekend. We're living in the dorm and taking short little mini-courses together.


Quote:
Quote:
It always brings me a real feeling of connectedness and wonderful memories.

I 'd imagine that u 'd find a lot of strangers.

No, three of my professors are still at the college and are will be teaching courses.
And in that small town in Maine - when I just visited in May I walked into the library to say hi to my friend, who is still the librarian and there were three people there I knew - we all went out to dinner together. It hasn't changed at all (I lived there eight years ago). I find that very comforting.


Quote:
Do u still have another response outstanding ?
[/QUOTE]
I'm confused. Are you asking if I owe you a response or if you owe me a response? I don't know...do I (or you?)

Take care - have a good night David.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 09:40 pm
aidan wrote:





Quote:
I don 't believe that we ever got a plausible answer
qua Y some parents superfreak out if their child sees nudity.

Quote:
Well, I think I have a plausible answer- I think it's all about how the parent feels about his or her own nudity. Are they comfortable with it? Are they uncomfortable with it? However they feel, that's most likely the feeling they will then project upon how their child might feel experiencing viewing nudity.
Although, as I said, I don't believe this has to be adopted by a child as his or her own attitude. I think how they intrinsically feel within themselves will trump any embarrassement the parent subconsciously communicates or even consciously tries to instill.
I think the bottom line is that people gotta be who the;y gotta be.
That's why constriction is such a drag.

Agreed.
That seems plausible.

Quote:

The whole small town thing is really interesting.
I think a lot depends on the mindset of the people.
There are definite advantages to living in a small town I think.
I was really afraid to go live in the first small town that I did-
I had heard so many negatives about people being in your business, etc.

Was it Roosevelt who said that the only thing
we have to fear is boredom ?[/quote]
Quote:
I don't know - is that what he said?

No; I was having a little fun.
He said that "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."



Quote:
I try my hardest to keep from getting bored-
luckily I have a lot of interests and am very, very curious -
so I can usually find some entertaining and amusing way to keep myself occupied.

There r lots of things to do.
U shud try to do them in Las Vegas.




Quote:
Quote:

everyone knows and is looking out for your kids' safety,

How does that sit with the kids ? in terms of privacy n autonomy ?



Quote:

Well, I don't think my kids were out raising hell - or at least I never heard about it - so actually it was more just peace of mind- knowing that people who cared about them almost as much as I did were all around them and willing to step in and help them if they needed it.

(Which reminds me- I'd have wished I'd had a gun to shoot that guy
who was beating that toddler - and I'd have used it too.
I kept meaning to vote in your poll today).

Yeah;
those who opposed (who were everyone who posted) effectively were
cheering the frustration of the rescue efforts. In so doing, thay favored
the well being of the stomper over that of his juvenile victim.
That is VERY paradigmatic pro-gun control philosophy
and very politically correct.




Quote:
Quote:

college that attracted people with VERY open minds and the smallness of the place pretty much intensified the feeling that everyone was free to be what they wanted to be and do what they wanted to be - it was almost like this little oasis of freedom in which the rules of society either might or might not apply-

I was an individualist-libertarian when I went to college.
It did not occur to me that my freedom might be in question.
Truly, it never occurred to me to question the degree to which
anyone 's mind was open.


Quote:
Yeah well, it only becomes an issue when people try to tell you what to do.

I 'm sure it WUD.
I don 't remember ever having that problem.



Quote:
And if their minds are only open to what they want you to do
and closed to what you want to do yourself, the question of how open
their mind is becomes a big issue.

Quote:
Well, that presents u with the opportunity
to assert your autonomy to whomever is involved.




Quote:
How did this matter arise to your scrutiny or analysis ?

Quote:
At college - it never did.
It was almost immediately apparent that I was free to be or do whatever
I needed to be or do. It was a very liberating place. I was really happy there.

I was in some doubt about the free agricultural labor,
but if u signed up for it . . .







Quote:
Quote:
which would be scary if you had people who were looking
to take advantage maliciously (or who were predatory to use your word)

I use malice too,
when discussing politically correct authoritarian-collectivists.

Quote:
Malice? Are you sure it's just not standing up for your own rights?
I wouldn't call that malice - even if you feel negatively toward those people -
don't you think you have a right to if they're trying to constrict you
and limit your freedoms to which your entitled?

Above, u said:
" to take advantage maliciously (or who were predatory to use your word) "
I only meant to point out that in addition to my use of the word predatory,
I am not averse to using the other word also.





Quote:
Quote:

Maine was kind of like that too- we lived in this town that was almost where
the roads stopped and the unadulterated forests began- and same thing-
the rules were just different.

Maine is known for having good submachinegun rallies.
Did u attend those ?




In fact I think there is more of a hedonistic sort of mindset that goes
along with those situations - and a fierce spirit of individualism-
which as long as its directed positively is wonderful.

Quote:
Yeah; have u tried Las Vegas ? U might like it better than England
( and u can understand the natives better ).

Quote:
I enjoy a British accent and understand it perfectly.

I prefer the Scotch accent ( tho my grandfather came from England ).


Quote:
Quote:

So I think it all depends on who you are and the collective mindset of the town-
because the sense of collective is much stronger in a small town.

I c.

Quote:
That's what I like about communicating with you -
I think we understand each other very well. I seldom feel that you insert
your own preconceived notions about things or me - and that's refreshing.

That 's how libertarian-individualists r.
Have u found any in England ?
or in Scotland ?





Quote:
Do u still have another response outstanding ?

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you asking if I owe you a response or if you owe me a response? I don't know...do I (or you?)

I believe that I sent u another PM
in response to yours.

Have a good night Rebecca
David.
0 Replies
 
aidan
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:20 am
Quote:
Was it Roosevelt who said that the only thing
we have to fear is boredom ?
Quote:
I don't know - is that what he said?

No; I was having a little fun.
He said that "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

I hope you don't think I didn't know that - I was having a little fun back at you.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I try my hardest to keep from getting bored-
luckily I have a lot of interests and am very, very curious -
so I can usually find some entertaining and amusing way to keep myself occupied.

There r lots of things to do.
U shud try to do them in Las Vegas.

I think I've told you - Las Vegas holds absolutely no appeal to me - although I acknowledge it seems to be very, very popular with other people.
I'm not a desert person - David. I like cities - but not in the middle of the desert. I'm not into all that neon and glitz and ****.
The gambling might be kind of exciting though - I think I'd prefer Atlantic City though - by the ocean.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

college that attracted people with VERY open minds and the smallness of the place pretty much intensified the feeling that everyone was free to be what they wanted to be and do what they wanted to be - it was almost like this little oasis of freedom in which the rules of society either might or might not apply-

I was an individualist-libertarian when I went to college.
It did not occur to me that my freedom might be in question.
Truly, it never occurred to me to question the degree to which
anyone 's mind was open.


Quote:
Yeah well, it only becomes an issue when people try to tell you what to do.

I 'm sure it WUD.
I don 't remember ever having that problem.

Laughing Or maybe you're just really good at ignoring it. Which is a good thing - hey- I give you much credit David....
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And if their minds are only open to what they want you to do
and closed to what you want to do yourself, the question of how open
their mind is becomes a big issue.

Quote:
Well, that presents u with the opportunity
to assert your autonomy to whomever is involved.


I don't like to have to assert stuff. I just like to try to get along...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How did this matter arise to your scrutiny or analysis ?

Quote:
At college - it never did.
It was almost immediately apparent that I was free to be or do whatever
I needed to be or do. It was a very liberating place. I was really happy there.

I was in some doubt about the free agricultural labor,
but if u signed up for it . . .

Yeah - I always wanted to live and work on a farm. Actually it wasn't for free - it defrayed the cost of room and board.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maine was kind of like that too- we lived in this town that was almost where
the roads stopped and the unadulterated forests began- and same thing-
the rules were just different.

Maine is known for having good submachinegun rallies.
Did u attend those ?

Why do you ask questions you already know the answer to (you've already asked me that - I said no).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So I think it all depends on who you are and the collective mindset of the town-
because the sense of collective is much stronger in a small town.

I c.

Quote:
That's what I like about communicating with you -
I think we understand each other very well. I seldom feel that you insert
your own preconceived notions about things or me - and that's refreshing.

That 's how libertarian-individualists r.
Have u found any in England ?

Happily - YES! Actually, surprisingly enough (given the history or our two countries) many more there than here. That's why I like living there...
Quote:
or in Scotland ?

I don't really know any people in Scotland - have only visited there.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do u still have another response outstanding ?

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you asking if I owe you a response or if you owe me a response? I don't know...do I (or you?)

I believe that I sent u another PM
in response to yours.

Okay - now I'm really confused...we were talking on this thread...then you disappeared. Then out of the blue - you pm'd me and I told you I was interested in your responses to my last post on this thread - then we started talking on this thread again...at least that's my memory - although I guess I did pm you initially in response to your pm to tell you I'd rather talk on this thread. Is that what you're talking about?

If you have a question you need answered - please feel free to ask me, okay? If I want to answer it I will - if I don't - I'll tell you that.

(Just so you'll understand- I don't have time to go searching back through pm's. Today's my last day of work and I have to make brownies for our party - and when I get home I have to get the rest of my stuff packed and then I'm on the road for about a month so access to the internet will be sporadic and limited from here on out.)

Have a great day David.



Have a good night Rebecca
David.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:30 am
aidan wrote:


Quote:
Was it Roosevelt who said that the only thing
we have to fear is boredom ?
Quote:
I don't know - is that what he said?

No; I was having a little fun.
He said that "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Quote:
I hope you don't think I didn't know that -
I was having a little fun back at you.

COUNTERFUN



Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I try my hardest to keep from getting bored-
luckily I have a lot of interests and am very, very curious -
so I can usually find some entertaining and amusing way to keep myself occupied.

There r lots of things to do.
U shud try to do them in Las Vegas.

Quote:
I think I've told you - Las Vegas holds absolutely no appeal to me -
although I acknowledge it seems to be very, very popular with other people.
I'm not a desert person - David. I like cities - but not in the middle of the desert.
I'm not into all that neon and glitz and ****.
The gambling might be kind of exciting though -
I think I'd prefer Atlantic City though - by the ocean.

The odds are dismal in A.C.
relative to Las Vegas.
I explored it once,
at the behest of the OM SIG.
It flunked.



Quote:
Quote:




Quote:
Quote:

college that attracted people with VERY open minds and the smallness of the place pretty much intensified the feeling that everyone was free to be what they wanted to be and do what they wanted to be - it was almost like this little oasis of freedom in which the rules of society either might or might not apply-

I was an individualist-libertarian when I went to college.
It did not occur to me that my freedom might be in question.
Truly, it never occurred to me to question the degree to which
anyone 's mind was open.


Quote:
Yeah well, it only becomes an issue when people try to tell you what to do.

I 'm sure it WUD.
I don 't remember ever having that problem.


Quote:
Laughing Or maybe you're just really good at ignoring it.
Which is a good thing - hey- I give you much credit David....

If the problem HAD arisen,
there is a fairly decent chance that I'd have explained
the difference between right n rong to the party involved.
I 'm like that sometimes; (depending upon my mood).





Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And if their minds are only open to what they want you to do
and closed to what you want to do yourself, the question of how open
their mind is becomes a big issue.

Quote:
Well, that presents u with the opportunity
to assert your autonomy to whomever is involved.


Quote:
I don't like to have to assert stuff.
I just like to try to get along...

That can be more harmonious.





Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How did this matter arise to your scrutiny or analysis ?

Quote:
At college - it never did.
It was almost immediately apparent that I was free to be or do whatever
I needed to be or do. It was a very liberating place. I was really happy there.

I was in some doubt about the free agricultural labor,
but if u signed up for it . . .

Quote:
Yeah - I always wanted to live and work on a farm.
Actually it wasn't for free - it defrayed the cost of room and board.

Over the years, farmers have informed me that it is HARD WORK
that recognizes no holidays, nor sick days.







Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maine was kind of like that too- we lived in this town that was almost where
the roads stopped and the unadulterated forests began- and same thing-
the rules were just different.

Maine is known for having good submachinegun rallies.
Did u attend those ?

Quote:
Why do you ask questions you already know the answer to
(you've already asked me that - I said no).

That just shows that your memory is better than mine.
See what happens when u get too old, too fat n too ugly ?







Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So I think it all depends on who you are and the collective mindset of the town-
because the sense of collective is much stronger in a small town.

I c.

Quote:
That's what I like about communicating with you -
I think we understand each other very well.
I seldom feel that you insert your own preconceived notions about things or me -
and that's refreshing.

That 's how libertarian-individualists r.
Have u found any in England ?

Quote:
Happily - YES! Actually, surprisingly enough
(given the history or our two countries) many more there than here.
That's why I like living there...

I 'm surprized.
England has always been an authoritarian society.




Quote:
or in Scotland ?

I don't really know any people in Scotland - have only visited there.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do u still have another response outstanding ?

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you asking if I owe you a response or if you owe me a response? I don't know...do I (or you?)

I believe that I sent u another PM
in response to yours.

Quote:
Okay - now I'm really confused...we were talking on this thread...then you disappeared. Then out of the blue - you pm'd me and I told you I was interested in your responses to my last post on this thread - then we started talking on this thread again...at least that's my memory - although I guess I did pm you initially in response to your pm to tell you I'd rather talk on this thread. Is that what you're talking about?

If you have a question you need answered - please feel free to ask me, okay? If I want to answer it I will - if I don't - I'll tell you that.

(Just so you'll understand- I don't have time to go searching back through pm's. Today's my last day of work and I have to make brownies for our party - and when I get home I have to get the rest of my stuff packed and then I'm on the road for about a month so access to the internet will be sporadic and limited from here on out.)
Its not important.
I don 't remember what I said therein.
0 Replies
 
aidan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:58 am
Quote:
COUNTERFUN

Hey, yeah...

The odds are dismal in A.C.
relative to Las Vegas.
I explored it once,
at the behest of the OM SIG.
It flunked.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip, now I know I don't need to feel compelled to go and I can keep my money.

Quote:
I don't like to have to assert stuff.
I just like to try to get along...

That can be more harmonious.[/quote]
Yeah





Quote:
That just shows that your memory is better than mine.
See what happens when u get too old, too fat n too ugly ?

Oh come on - you're none of those things. We all forget things once in a while.


Quote:
(Just so you'll understand- I don't have time to go searching back through pm's. Today's my last day of work and I have to make brownies for our party - and when I get home I have to get the rest of my stuff packed and then I'm on the road for about a month so access to the internet will be sporadic and limited from here on out.)
Its not important.
I don 't remember what I said therein.[/QUOTE]

Well listen - I'm in North Carolina now - and I'll be back in NY around July sixth or seventh. After that, I'll be in NY/Vermont for about two and a half weeks - we're flying for England on July 23. I am definitely getting down to the city at least once during those two weeks. If you want to meet for lunch - let me know and I'll try to arrange it. The only days I know that I can't right now are July 8 and July 17.

I'll keep checking on here to see how you're doing.

Take care - Rebecca
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 08:37 am
aidan wrote:
Quote:
COUNTERFUN

Hey, yeah...

The odds are dismal in A.C.
relative to Las Vegas.
I explored it once,
at the behest of the OM SIG.
It flunked.

Thanks for the tip, now I know I don't need to feel compelled to go and I can keep my money.

Quote:
I don't like to have to assert stuff.
I just like to try to get along...

That can be more harmonious.[/quote]
Yeah





Quote:
That just shows that your memory is better than mine.
See what happens when u get too old, too fat n too ugly ?

Oh come on - you're none of those things. We all forget things once in a while.


Quote:
(Just so you'll understand- I don't have time to go searching back through pm's. Today's my last day of work and I have to make brownies for our party - and when I get home I have to get the rest of my stuff packed and then I'm on the road for about a month so access to the internet will be sporadic and limited from here on out.)
Its not important.
I don 't remember what I said therein.[/QUOTE]

Well listen - I'm in North Carolina now - and I'll be back in NY around July sixth or seventh. After that, I'll be in NY/Vermont for about two and a half weeks - we're flying for England on July 23. I am definitely getting down to the city at least once during those two weeks. If you want to meet for lunch - let me know and I'll try to arrange it. The only days I know that I can't right now are July 8 and July 17.

I'll keep checking on here to see how you're doing.

Take care - Rebecca[/quote]
OK.
Lemme know.

David
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

T'Pring is Dead - Discussion by Brandon9000
Another Calif. shooting spree: 4 dead - Discussion by Lustig Andrei
Friends don't let friends fat-talk - Discussion by hawkeye10
Before you criticize the media - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Fatal Baloon Accident - Discussion by 33export
The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie - Discussion by bobsal u1553115
Robin Williams is dead - Discussion by Butrflynet
 
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 02/01/2023 at 12:55:26