Should slave owners be removed from the dollar bill?

Mexica

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 04:03 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Mexica wrote:
Now, other than a possible explanation on what you meant when you said I got personal, I see no reason for me to continue on exchanging ideas on this topic with you.

According to my understanding of the English language people can be arrogant and bigoted, positions can not be. But maybe I am wrong.

Good point.
The manner in which you expressed your POV was arrogant and it is an example of a bigoted thought process. Of course, that isn't the same as calling you arrogant or a bigot. In other words, your cry about me "getting personal" is unwarranted.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 04:08 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
snood wrote:
Quote:
Blacks love to play victim.

What is the difference between this statement and "Whites are greedy and insensitive pigs?"

Drop the pig out and I would say not much....they are both generally true statements that can be supported with the historical record. I think that whites have done a lot better of late than they used to, and blacks only partly so. Blacks are stuck with the historic truth of Jackson, Sharpton and Cornel West. These Black leaders have only been black leaders because many in the black community have been willing to dive into the mythology of the black race being the victim of the white race. Whites put down the skin heads and the white supremists for the most part, and they were never more than extreme fringe groups anyways.

At times I have questioned the value of exchanging ideas on a forum like this. Surely, I muse, there are far better uses of time and energy - far more productive ways to seek out kindred voices or mental stimulation.
But then, I am fortunate - nay, even blessed - to be graced with a visionary such as yourself. Such extraordinary wisdom and clarity of thought! Such striking moral direction! such breathless expression.

I am in awe, and forever grateful that you deign share your measureless gifts with a worm like myself. I salute you, sir.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 04:11 am
Mexica wrote:

Good point.
The manner in which you expressed your POV was arrogant and it is an example of a bigoted thought process. Of course, that isn't the same as calling you arrogant or a bigot. In other words, your cry about me "getting personal" is unwarranted.

I perhaps read more personalization into your post then was there. I am ready to move on.....is that good with you?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 04:12 am
Watch it, someone might clutch the "victim status" like a long lost relative and claim you're getting personal.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 04:14 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Mexica wrote:

Good point.

I perhaps read more personalization into your post then was there. I am ready to move on.....is that good with you?

You absolutely "read something" that wasn't there.
No worries, it's not really a big point. I'm just not big on people who play the victim-role, either.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:32 am
hawkeye10 wrote:

Blacks love to play victim. They have been free for a long time, they have had loads of special deals which had no other purpose then to rectify any negative impact that slavery might have had on them. And yet new immigrants can and do come to America with nothing ( not even the language) and with-in one generation generally make a better life for themselves then the complaining blacks do. The black underclass is the black underclass not because of slavery, but because they refuse to make their lives better. They use slavery as an excuse, and a fair number of whites are prone to suffering from unjustified guilt over slavery, but that don't make it a legitimate reason. The Black middle class is another proof, those blacks who want a better life enough to work for it have no trouble obtaining it.

Free for a long, long time, a couple generations even...!
and tons of special deals like discrimination, segregation, Special attention from the KKK which was also anti-semitic however I don't have handy any pictures of Jews hung from a tree. denial of civil rights, and.......and...........so much more.

I disagree with your statement obviously however, I will guesstimate that during the 80's and afterward up until now, there is no excuse, in fact , it is the caucasian that suffers in some cases due to of course the color of his skin. Evil begets evil begets evil.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:53 am
jasonrest wrote:
I disagree with your statement obviously however, I will guesstimate that during the 80's and afterward up until now, there is no excuse, in fact , it is the caucasian that suffers in some cases due to of course the color of his skin. Evil begets evil begets evil.

Right, America paid off anything that was remaining on that bill with the civil rights act during the Johnson Administration. Anyone who was ten years old at the time has had no racial barriers to their success, that means any black younger than 50 years old has no cause to b*tch. Once the civil rights struggle was over Blacks and Whites adapted quickly. The seventies were the golden period, this being before Blacks got the nutty idea that it was a good idea to resegregate themselves, and to get all worked up about black pride. Slowly since that time blacks have been pealing off, those who have elected to fully participate in the wider culture have found that they are successful in accomplishing what they want in life, that they are accepted.

Blacks need to deal with the fact that they were ill served by a group of black "leaders" who found it in their interest to sell the victim role to the black community. This would be people like Jesse Jackson, a man who is not bright enough to be successful if he needed to compete with white leaders, nor could he be competent enough for whites to accept him as a legitimate leader. In order to have a career he needed the blacks to see themselves as blacks, and to take as their leaders other blacks. Because of real racial barriers there were not a lot of blacks in the seventies who were ready to be leaders, Jesse Jackson had slim competition so long as his only competition was from other blacks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:25 am
snood wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
snood wrote:
Quote:
Blacks love to play victim.

What is the difference between this statement and "Whites are greedy and insensitive pigs?"

Drop the pig out and I would say not much....they are both generally true statements that can be supported with the historical record. I think that whites have done a lot better of late than they used to, and blacks only partly so. Blacks are stuck with the historic truth of Jackson, Sharpton and Cornel West. These Black leaders have only been black leaders because many in the black community have been willing to dive into the mythology of the black race being the victim of the white race. Whites put down the skin heads and the white supremists for the most part, and they were never more than extreme fringe groups anyways.

At times I have questioned the value of exchanging ideas on a forum like this. Surely, I muse, there are far better uses of time and energy - far more productive ways to seek out kindred voices or mental stimulation.
But then, I am fortunate - nay, even blessed - to be graced with a visionary such as yourself. Such extraordinary wisdom and clarity of thought! Such striking moral direction! such breathless expression.

I am in awe, and forever grateful that you deign share your measureless gifts with a worm like myself. I salute you, sir.

That's what ya call layin' it on with a trowel . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:51 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
My point (and i can't think why anyone would have missed this after i've pointed it out twice) is that only West African Negroes were able to survive the heavy labor in the brutal climate of the Sugar Islands, and possessed a resistance to malaria. This includes the slaves taken in East Africa, who had no immunity to malaria.

WE are talking about American slavery, not those brought in to work sugar cane in the islands. You don't find a lot of malaria in Georgia. Picking cotton is not demanding like working cane either. As for the availability of slaves from the Ukraine and such at the time I don't know. Your take is not what I remember from my history schooling, but I don't know that you are wrong.

Now you're attempting to dance the famous dance known as the side-step. You did not question O'George's post by asking if there were any other source for slaves in American than Africa--you just asked if there were any other source of slaves.

But apart from that, you have serious flaws in your response.

The Centers for Disease Control are located in Atlanta specifically because malaria was (and to a slight extent, still is) endemic in the United States, and in particular in the southeast, which includes Georgia.

[url=http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/history/eradication_us.htm][b]The CDC[/b][/url] wrote:
Malaria has been endemic in the US until the late 1940's. Most of the transmission occurred in the southeastern states. (From this derives the fact that CDC, originally derived from malaria control operations, is located in Atlanta, Georgia).

Johns Hopkins University sheds further light on the prevalence of malaria in what became the United States:

[url=http://www.jhsph.edu/Malaria/Malaria_Background.html][b]The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health[/b][/url] wrote:

In the United States, malaria flourished for centuries in the South and in port cities like Boston and New York. During the Civil War, armies on both sides stationed in the South sustained more than 1.2 million cases of malaria.

So that claim that one doesn't find a lot of malaria in Georgia is nonsense, in the historical context which we are discussing.

When you write: WE (there's no need to shout) are talking about American slavery, not those brought in to work sugar cane in the islands. . . . you are displaying more historical ignorance. The source of the slaves who were sold in the English colonies of North America were the slave populations of the Sugar Islands. Slaves were already being imported to the West Indies by the Dutch and to a lesser extent by the French when slaves first began to appear in Virginia. Even then, slavery was not seen as necessary to the monoculture of tobacco (cotton did not become a viable cash crop until the cotton gin was invented in 1793), and in the earliest days, as i have already pointed out, blacks as well as whites were treated as indentured servants, and not slaves. It was not until 1640 that a Virginia court first declared a black man to be chattel property for life. It was not until after that that the Virginia Burgesses enacted laws allowing and regulating slavery.

Slaves were originally brought to the "New World" in large numbers from Africa to Brazil, and only reached the Sugar Islands originally from there. Later, it became obvious, largely to the Dutch at first, that a good three point trade route could be set up to pick up slaves in Africa, selling them in the West Indies and then selling the sugar from those islands, as well as products smuggled from the Spanish Main, in Holland. Yankee traders from New England later made this a four point trade route when they added a stop in New England to sell off the sugar (in the form of molasses), and pick up rum made from molasses, to be smuggled into Europe.

The United States Constitution prohibited the slave trade after 1808, and thereafter, slaves who were smuggled into the United States came from the Sugar Islands. And that is why any discussion of slavery in the United States cannot be reasonably conducted without reference to slavery and its development in the Sugar Islands.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:58 am
Setanta wrote:
When you write: WE (there's no need to shout) are talking about American slavery, not those brought in to work sugar cane in the islands. . . . you are displaying more historical ignorance. The source of the slaves who were sold in the English colonies of North America were the slave populations of the Sugar Islands.

I accept your argument, good points all around.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:16 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
jasonrest wrote:

Right, America paid off anything that was remaining on that bill with the civil rights act during the Johnson Administration. Anyone who was ten years old at the time has had no racial barriers to their success, that means any black younger than 50 years old has no cause to b*tch. Once the civil rights struggle was over Blacks and Whites adapted quickly. The seventies were the golden period, this being before Blacks got the nutty idea that it was a good idea to resegregate themselves, and to get all worked up about black pride. Slowly since that time blacks have been pealing off, those who have elected to fully participate in the wider culture have found that they are successful in accomplishing what they want in life, that they are accepted.

Blacks need to deal with the fact that they were ill served by a group of black "leaders" who found it in their interest to sell the victim role to the black community. This would be people like Jesse Jackson, a man who is not bright enough to be successful if he needed to compete with white leaders, nor could he be competent enough for whites to accept him as a legitimate leader. In order to have a career he needed the blacks to see themselves as blacks, and to take as their leaders other blacks. Because of real racial barriers there were not a lot of blacks in the seventies who were ready to be leaders, Jesse Jackson had slim competition so long as his only competition was from other blacks.

I agree with your post save two points.

1. Jesse Jackson pales in comparison to Al Sharpton.
The man is an opportunist and an embarrassment to the black community,

2. I don't believe America has "paid off" anything.
Indeed, within American government, laws have been altered
so that all men can truly be seen as equal however,
the issue of reparations and anything related are lost.

I don't have the answer on this issue.
It's far too late to even consider reparations of any sort.
However, that issue still remains.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 03:58 pm
jasonrest wrote:

The answer is to make sure that everyone abides by the civil rights laws, for the blacks to stop blaming slavery for why their lives are 100+ years later not what they want them to be, for whites to stop feeling guilty for their great-great grandparents and beyond participating in slavery, and for everybody to not get diverted onto loony ideas such as taking Founders off of American currency because they owned slaves.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 04:24 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
jasonrest wrote:

The answer is to make sure that everyone abides by the civil rights laws, for the blacks to stop blaming slavery for why their lives are 100+ years later not what they want them to be, for whites to stop feeling guilty for their great-great grandparents and beyond participating in slavery, and for everybody to not get diverted onto loony ideas such as taking Founders off of American currency because they owned slaves.

The original intent of the thread is far gone although, I appreciate the effort. Blaming slavery for one's problems and Slave-owning presidents on current currency is related how? For an intelligent African-American, aware of this country's history, how he came to be here, and how he came to enjoy the liberties afforded him by his predecessors, to look at a bill depicting and reverencing someone that participated in the inhumanity of slavery; it might be a little disheartening.

Also, I'm sure not all blacks blame slavery for anything however,
admittedly, it is a common scape goat repeated by the mindless.
0 Replies