Hillary Clinton for President - 2008

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 09:07 am
"To the young people like 13 year-old Ann Riddle from Mayfield, Ohio who had been saving for two years to go to Disney World, and decided to use her savings instead to travel to Pennsylvania with her mom and volunteer there as well."

That part was what got me. More like "my rabid mother made me do it". I sure hope Hillbill bucks up and buys that kid a trip to Disney World.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 09:33 am
cjhsa
cjhsa, why do you hate women so much? Was your mother mean to you when you were growing up?

BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 09:41 am
Hillary is a woman? Who knew?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 09:46 am
he hates women because they are poopity heads...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 10:01 am
Tom Brokaw Slams Press Drumbeat For Hillary's exit
Tom Brokaw Slams Press Drumbeat For Hillary's Exit: "Inappropriate", "Commentary Disguised As Reporting"
by David Bouder
6/9/08

Now that Hillary Clinton has ended her bid for the presidency, political journalists are suddenly deprived of one of their favorite stories: When is she going to drop out?

A study shows the only campaign topics that got more attention the past two months were Barack Obama's talkative former minister, the Pennsylvania primary and the fallout from President Bush's remarks about appeasement while in Israel.

More time was spent talking about when Clinton might call it quits than about how the candidates might deal with the war in Iraq, the high price of gasoline, home foreclosures or the sputtering economy. Or about anything that presumptive Republican nominee John McCain said or did during April and May, according to the Project for Excellence in Journalism's analysis of political coverage in newspapers, on Internet sites and on television news.

This doesn't even count the frenzied days after the Iowa caucuses in January, when there was so much media discussion about whether Clinton's campaign would end if she didn't win in New Hampshire that many experts believe a backlash against it was a factor in her victory.

The coverage embittered the Clinton campaign and, in the eyes of one veteran journalist, should provoke some soul-searching.

"It was inappropriate, for journalists especially, to try to cut the process short," NBC News' anchor emeritus, Tom Brokaw, told The Associated Press. "It was an appropriate issue for people to report on, in context, but there was an awful lot of commentary disguised as reporting that gave the impression that people were trying to shove her out of the race."

Brokaw's old-school attitude often put him at odds with Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann when he joined them for primary night coverage on MSNBC this year. One example was last Tuesday. Brokaw was talking about the contrasts between McCain and Obama when Olbermann interjected about "a third one trying toshoehornn her way" into the coverage.

"Well, I think that's unfair, Keith," Brokaw replied. "I don't think sheshoehornedd her way in. When you look at the states that she won and the popular vote that she piled up, and the number of delegates that she has on her side, she's got real bargaining power in all of this."

Brokaw called all the discussion about Clinton's exit a product of "too much time and too little imagination."

Americans have taken a deep interest in the campaign and the media, particularly cable news, has responded to strong ratings by giving them more, more, more. It encouraged a predictive culture, fueled by opinion polls. It was not enough to report what was happening; people needed to prove themselves by talking with assurance about what will happen.

There was also an overwhelming need for closure, odd for a very close race even in the context of recent history, when Gary Hart and Ted Kennedy took losing nomination fights to the summer conventions. As one veteran political reporter wondered recently: why would journalists seem so eager to see the best story of their life end?

"I've always felt that it was not the job of reporters to be like `The Gong Show' and hoot candidates off the stage," said John Harris, editor in chief of the Politico Web site.

Between the fascination of many reporters with Obama and constant counting of his slow march toward the required number of delegates for the nomination, the Clinton campaign has some legitimate gripes about the way they were covered, he said.

It was hard for the Clinton campaign to stay off the defensive, when so much time was spent on stories about the hopelessness of her situation, said Lisa Caputo, a former White House aide and an adviser to Clinton's campaign.

"You can't count people out before they're out," she said. "Let the process play out. There was an awful lot of not letting the process play out on its own merits but trying in some respects to influence the process."

It's a variation of a criticism faced by political journalists for a half-century now: too much emphasis on thehorse racee and not enough on issues. Coverage was issue-oriented at the start of this campaign, but degenerated into a lot of stories about process, said Bob Schieffer, host of CBS News' "Face the Nation."

"We get criticized for it," Schieffer said. "But when you come right down to it, that's what campaigns are about _ trying to win."

This is truly the first full campaign of the online age, where something can be old news before it's printed in a newspaper. Many reporters are overworked trying to follow the story, report for their publications and write for blogs.

This seemed to increase, not decrease, the tendency toward pack journalism.

Other factors inevitably drove the coverage, said Mark Jurkowitz, associate director of the Project for Excellence in Journalism. It was a lengthy primary process that was quickly reduced to two candidates who had relatively few differences on the issues, he said.

That was reflected in how coverage essentially became a gaffe watch, he said. The 103 stories on whether or not Clinton should get out were nearly matched by the 100 stories on Obama's remarks about bitter people turning to guns and religion, according to the PEJ's index. There were 243 stories about Obama's former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

For some time, it was obvious to those counting that Clinton was not going to be able to earn enough delegates to win, Harris said. That's both hard and wrong for reporters to ignore, he said.

"I don't see a real remedy for it," he said, "other than that all of us at this point should try to write original and provocative stories and not try to follow the pack of conventional stories."

Now that one dependable story is gone, dozens of opinion polls are ready to take its place.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 10:04 am
why didn't I think of that?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 10:08 am
Re: Tom Brokaw Slams Press Drumbeat For Hillary's exit
I think Brokaw's right.

Especially this part.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Brokaw called all the discussion about Clinton's exit a product of "too much time and too little imagination."

The media sucks.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 10:25 am
Re: Tom Brokaw Slams Press Drumbeat For Hillary's exit
kickycan wrote:
I think Brokaw's right.

Especially this part.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

The media sucks.
Nah. That's so much nonsense. The pundits have wondered aloud how long every underdog I can remember would stay in. The difference here is Hillary stayed in long after the outcome was clear. The Razor-thin margin many reported was in actuality an insurmountable hill a long time ago on account of the way the Democratic Party splits the votes in each state. If anything; journalists failed to report how utterly absurd her last few death throws were in reality. Anyone who found the slider on CNN could see for themselves just how steep that hill was. I'd say they made the most hay possible out of failed candidacy. Without the nonsensical "Who will win?" States that no longer mattered; she probably would have dropped out sooner. Rather than pushing her out; I'd say they propped her up... just to make a little extra hay.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 10:43 am
You see it your way, I see it mine. The main point of this that really interests me though is that the media is just filled with **** that just plain ain't news. They have a 24-hour news cycle, and they choose to talk about one news event for hours and hours and days and days until it finally becomes the proverbial dead horse. Then, once they've accomplished that, they beat that dead horse for a few more days. Then, once that horse carcass is nothing but scraps, they beat the scraps. In order to fill all that time they have, they create "news" where there isn't any.

The news has become nothing but one small item of news followed by a bunch of assh*les pretending to be objective and sitting around giving opinions on it, distorting it to fit their particular biased point of view and debating "what it means" for hours and hours and days and days after. This is called "analysis."

The media sucks.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:00 am
Kicky
Kicky, exactly! How did you get to be so smart?

BBB
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:02 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Kicky, exactly! How did you get to be so smart?

BBB

By watching the news of course. :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:07 am
kickycan wrote:
The media sucks.
On this we agree.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:17 am
Many Say Coverage is Biased in Favor of Obama
Pew Research Center for the People & the Press
Primary Wrapup: Even As Obama Controversies Widely Registered
June 5, 2008

Over the course of the primary campaign season greater numbers heard about controversies associated with Barack Obama than heard about other campaign events. Nonetheless, far more Americans believe that the press coverage has favored Barack Obama than think it has favored Hillary Clinton.

Nearly four-in-ten (37%) say that in covering the Democratic race, news organizations have been biased toward Obama while just 8% say they have been biased toward Clinton; 40% say news organizations have shown no bias in their coverage. Substantial minorities of Republicans (45%) and independents (40%) say the press has been biased toward Obama; somewhat fewer Democrats (35%) see a pro-Obama bias.

The weekly News Interest Index finds that Obama has clearly been the dominant figure in the campaign thus far, both in terms of press coverage and public visibility. Despite the widespread belief that the press has favored Obama, many of the events that have registered most strongly with the public centered on controversies involving either Obama himself or his campaign.

Of nearly 40 campaign events that have been measured, Obama's relationship with his former pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright remains the most widely heard about campaign story. In early May, 62% of the public said they had heard a lot about Wright's speeches dealing with race and the presidential campaign.

Complete survey report:
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/862/campaign-news-interest
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:40 am
http://www.mediaresearch.org/biasbasics/biasbasics1.asp
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 12:57 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

We are indeed poopity heads. And you can see why we're so nice to men. We need them to wipe with.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 01:09 pm
Re: Many Say Coverage is Biased in Favor of Obama
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Pew Research Center for the People & the Press
Primary Wrapup: Even As Obama Controversies Widely Registered
June 5, 2008

Over the course of the primary campaign season greater numbers heard about controversies associated with Barack Obama than heard about other campaign events. Nonetheless, far more Americans believe that the press coverage has favored Barack Obama than think it has favored Hillary Clinton.

Nearly four-in-ten (37%) say that in covering the Democratic race, news organizations have been biased toward Obama while just 8% say they have been biased toward Clinton; 40% say news organizations have shown no bias in their coverage. Substantial minorities of Republicans (45%) and independents (40%) say the press has been biased toward Obama; somewhat fewer Democrats (35%) see a pro-Obama bias.

The weekly News Interest Index finds that Obama has clearly been the dominant figure in the campaign thus far, both in terms of press coverage and public visibility. Despite the widespread belief that the press has favored Obama, many of the events that have registered most strongly with the public centered on controversies involving either Obama himself or his campaign.

Of nearly 40 campaign events that have been measured, Obama's relationship with his former pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright remains the most widely heard about campaign story. In early May, 62% of the public said they had heard a lot about Wright's speeches dealing with race and the presidential campaign.

Complete survey report:
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/862/campaign-news-interest

I agree with this report, as far as it goes. But Hillary was by far the most ridiculed by her own fellow liberals. I really hate to go here because I was feeling so happy that Bear and I can finally joke a little again....but one more time.........the sexism was blatant, especially during the last few months. The conservative media has been all over Obama. What else can we expect from those who really will do anything to win. They're willing to use racism as a ploy and that's disgusting.

It's one thing to heard unfiltered prejudice from the Republicans, it's another to hear it from the liberal media, not to mention those news outlets that strive to be balanced. Only PBS has been clean on this issue.

Anyway, there's no excuse for sexism.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 01:21 pm
kickycan wrote:
You see it your way, I see it mine. The main point of this that really interests me though is that the media is just filled with **** that just plain ain't news. They have a 24-hour news cycle, and they choose to talk about one news event for hours and hours and days and days until it finally becomes the proverbial dead horse. Then, once they've accomplished that, they beat that dead horse for a few more days. Then, once that horse carcass is nothing but scraps, they beat the scraps. In order to fill all that time they have, they create "news" where there isn't any.

The news has become nothing but one small item of news followed by a bunch of assh*les pretending to be objective and sitting around giving opinions on it, distorting it to fit their particular biased point of view and debating "what it means" for hours and hours and days and days after. This is called "analysis."

The media sucks.

See, I knew I wasn't wrong in my expressed love for you. You said it for me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 04:57 pm
Press release

Full report

Beginning of the press release summary:

Quote:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
Lola wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

We are indeed poopity heads. And you can see why we're so nice to men. We need them to wipe with.

some guys will pay extra for that...
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 05:53 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Lola wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

some guys will pay extra for that...

I know. I love you Bear. You're so cuddly.
0 Replies