Hillary Clinton for President - 2008

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:09 am
I think they are of equal ability, but Bear was lamenting the fact that too many Americans get caught up in celebrity worship and Barrack bears a stronger resemblance to a typical superstar than does the dowdy Clinton.

Image is everything.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:33 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I think they are of equal ability, but Bear was lamenting the fact that too many Americans get caught up in celebrity worship and Barrack bears a stronger resemblance to a typical superstar than does the dowdy Clinton.

Image is everything.

yup. and they probably are of equal ability but we are f*cked up like never before and now is not the time for on the job training.

I also think Obama will be corrupted by all the worship. Noticed his speeches lately? Every other word is win.... he's just a guy who wants to be president... not the new MLK or JFK or JC or anything else.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:35 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
thing is obama just says things that anyone else would say and yet somehow it makes him a visionary... all style, little evidence of substance... and that will take the day. It's American Idol.

I was opposed to the War in Iraq from the start AND I was oopsed to the Viet Nam war when Obama was rocking the diaper... I also have always thought we should have healthcare for everyone.... I also have believed all my life that we should have all the money for schools we want but that they should have to have a bake sale to fund wars.... and if I were elected, I'd bring the troops home ASAP and put money into repairing and refitting our infrastructure, securing our borders and developing alternatice fuels so we could tell the mid east to by all means continue slaughtering themselves if that's what they wished but we weren't going to play anymore.

I don't know exactly ow I'd get it done, but I certainly would try to get everyone to work together to do it.

So why shouldn't I run for President? I have lofty ideas...... oh wait! Is it possible that lofty ideas alone aren't enough?

American Idol comparison, wish I had thought of that one. Touche.

But, maybe Obama can get people to work together?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:43 am
does ANYONE remember that this uniter bullshit is EXACTLY what bush campaigned on in 2000?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:48 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
does ANYONE remember that this uniter bullshit is EXACTLY what bush campaigned on in 2000?

And every other Presidential Candidate before him. What is the point?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:49 am
for instance?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:50 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Image is everything.

Your hat alone is evidence of the proposition.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:52 am
ps...nice try, Butrflynet
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:57 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

C'mon-- I see your point but you're overdramatizing it-- Bush is beyond comparison.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:01 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
thing is obama just says things that anyone else would say and yet somehow it makes him a visionary... all style, little evidence of substance... and that will take the day. It's American Idol.

Boo-hoo.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:03 am
boo hoo what? Deny it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:05 am
Gala wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

C'mon-- I see your point but you're overdramatizing it-- Bush is beyond comparison.

there is a comparison... although one is on the right, one on the left, and Obama has an IQ.

Both of them not just mentioned their uniter abilities but made that a MAJOR issue of their campaigns.... how'd the last 8 years work out?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:16 am
JFK's Speechwriter Now Putting Words Into Obama Campaign
If you wonder why Barack Obama's speeches remind you of the speeches of John and Robert Kennedy, it's because their speech writer, Ted Sorenson, is writing Obama's speeches. ---BBB

JFK's Speechwriter Now Putting Words Into Obama Campaign
Written by: Doug G. Ware
Email: [email protected]
Last Update: 2/09/08

Theodore C. Sorensen, Special Counsel and primary speechwriter to U.S. President John F. Kennedy. (Abbie Rowe - National Park Service)
"He is more like John F. Kennedy than any other candidate of our time" - Ted Sorenson, adviser to JFK, about Barack Obama NEW YORK CITY - The man who actually hand-wrote some of the most popular and historic words ever heard from the White House is now lending his creativity and support to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Theodore Chaikin "Ted" Sorenson was Pres. John F. Kennedy's speechwriter in the early 1960s. He wrote some of Kennedy's most-remembered speeches and conducted some of the Administration's most critical business -- that sometimes went far beyond the realistic expectations of a mere wordsmith.

In fact, some historians say Sorenson's talents saved the world from nuclear destruction.

Sorenson, who turns 80 in May, has long been retired from actual speechwriting but he now feels compelled to lend creative service to who he feels is the country's best option right now: Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

"I endorsed Barack Obama for president... because he is more like John F. Kennedy than any other candidate of our time," Sorensen said recently.

He also noted similarities between Kennedy and Obama, like how both canddiates were called "too young" and "inexperienced." Sorenson also makes mention of the social challenges both candidates had to face; Kennedy being a Roman Catholic and Obama being an Afro-American.

"The times are too important. We have got to have someone with judgment leading this country," he said. "I'm supporting Obama because I believe he has that same spirit, that same desire to call to public service... especially the young people, but all the citizens to live up to their obligations." (Watch video of Sorenson endorsing Obama)

Sorenson graduated from the University of Nebraska and immediately went to work for John Kennedy. By the time the Massachusetts senator became president in 1960, Sorenson was penning his speeches -- including the famed words on inauguration day 1961 that urged Americans to "ask not what your country can do for you... ask what you can do for your country."

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., shares a laugh with reporters during a flight from St. Louis to Wilmington, Del., Sunday, Feb. 3, 2008. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)
According to reports, Sorenson has now become close with the young speechwriters in Obama's camp -- and has occasionally thrown in a creative phrase or a clever one-liner to be used during one of the senator's future exhortations. In addition, Sorensen is said to be giving advice and support to the Obama campaign.

It would almost be unthinkable for Obama to refuse the offering, too. Sorenson's acts during 13 days in October 1962 are believed, by some, to have saved the world from nuclear annihilation.

In addition to being JFK's primary speechwriter, Sorensen also served as Special Counsel and Adviser to the president -- meaning he weilded significant influence when it came to matters, foreign and domestic. The foreign part was put to use at the start of the Cuban Missile Crisis on Oct. 14, 1962.

President Kennedy and Sorensen drafted communications to be sent to the Soviet Union with hopes of striking a deal to stop the crisis. Soviet ships carrying nuclear warheads were bound for Cuba -- less than 100 miles from the U.S. cost -- while other missiles were already being put together on the island.

At one point during the crisis, Sorensen even met with a carrier for the KGB on a Washington, D.C. street, where he exchanged a newspaper that contained an important message for the president.

In the film Thirteen Days (2000), a retelling of the crisis, Sorenson is played by actor Tim Kelleher and is portrayed as a crafty speechwriter that, accurately, contributed greatly to the situation.

Obama's campaign can certainly use Sorenson's proven skills as many polls indicate that he lacks Sen. Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination. However, the two are neck-and-neck in the amount of delegates they have secured so far; 832 to 821 for Clinton and Obama, respectively.

2,025 delegates are needed for the official nomination.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 11:13 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Gala wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

there is a comparison... although one is on the right, one on the left, and Obama has an IQ.

Both of them not just mentioned their uniter abilities but made that a MAJOR issue of their campaigns.... how'd the last 8 years work out?

The last 8 years? Dumb question. But Hillary is loathed by many. I'm not going sing the praises of Obama, because I believe you are correct about the worship.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 12:12 pm
I prefer rhetorical question :wink:
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:01 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I prefer rhetorical question :wink:

Ha. Touche again.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:36 pm
I watched some of Obama's victory speech last night. I wanted to kill my TV.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:48 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I watched some of Obama's victory speech last night. I wanted to kill my TV.

Just imagine, given the things you normally have on, how much your TV wants to kill you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:02 pm
Breakfast with Chelsea? Yes, you can - if you're a superdelegate

And Bill will call you too. And John Kerry. And Madeleine Albright.

Quote:
College Junior Breakfasts With Chelsea Clinton
21-Year-Old Wisconsin Super Delegate Gets Face Time With Former First Daughter

ABC News
Feb. 11, 2008

Jason Rae is a typical junior in college.

He spends several hours a day in class at Marquette University in Wisconsin where he is majoring in history and political science. He is closely following the Marquette basketball team and has the Golden Eagles' schedule memorized.

But not many 21-year-olds start their Monday with a personal breakfast with Chelsea Clinton, as Rae did this morning at the student union at the nearby University of Milwaukee.

Rae got the one-on-one treatment from the former - and possibly future - first daughter because he is a Democratic National Committee member from Wisconsin and thus a "super delegate," one of the 796 free agents who can back any candidate in the race for the Democratic nomination.

Never Voted Before

Rae may be a typical college junior but he is certainly not the typical DNC super delegate.

He is only 21 years old - he has never voted in a presidential election because he turned 18 after Election Day in 2004.

Since the race between New York Sen. Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama is so tight, Rae has become a power broker of sorts, as both campaigns push hard to lock down the support of super delegates.

Rae said he and Chelsea Clinton talked about electability and mobilizing young people to get involved in politics. He said she spoke about what states her mother can carry in the general election and what demographics favor her candidacy. The two talked about how the campaign's operations were going in the states and what she is seeing on the ground.

The breakfast lasted about 30 minutes. Rae said he had to hustle back to campus and get to his afternoon classes.

Rae was elected as a DNC member at the Wisconsin state party convention in June 2004. He was 17 years old at the time but there are no party rules that say a DNC member has to be of voting age. Rae ran against and defeated the president of the state firefighters' union and a state legislator.

Rae has been called on his cell phone by former President Clinton and former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright who tried to woo him to the Clinton side and Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, who was pushing for Rae to endorse Obama.

Super Delegate Gets Political Star Treatment

Despite the star power lighting up his cell phone, Rae told ABC News that he has no plans to endorse before the Wisconsin primary Feb. 19.

Former President Clinton called Rae on his cell phone, Jan. 25, the night before the South Carolina primary.

Rae was about to head out to dinner with friends when his phone rang and the screen said, "Number withheld." The voice on the other end said: "Please hold for the former president" and then a familiar voice said "Hey Jason, it's Bill here."

"I started to think, is this real? I am a junior in college and Bill Clinton is talking to me?" Rae said as he recalled the phone call.

Clinton talked about Hillary Clinton's electability and gave Rae an update on how things were looking on the ground in South Carolina. He then regaled Rae with stories about his travels to Wisconsin as president and the cities he visited during that time.

Rae received a call from Kerry, Feb. 1, the Friday before the critical Super Tuesday showdown. Kerry, too, talked about electability and also asked Rae about college life in general and even the weather.

Rae said he is getting a steady stream of calls from campaign staff and surrogates, including Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton on behalf of the Clinton campaign.

But Rae said he is focusing on which candidate can win in November.

"Both have good positions, but it's about who can win," he said.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:13 am
What could still help Hillary win?

Some scenarios that could still give her a chance:

Quote:
It's Not Over Until the Superdelegates Sing
If all else fails, Clinton can still try to organize a superdelegate rebellion. Just because she's all but guaranteed to lose in the pledged delegate count doesn't mean she can't still win the nomination. If she can find a way to convince the superdelegates to ignore their constituents' wishes and the popular-vote tally, she may be able to build a winning coalition of insiders that can overwhelm Obama's pledged delegate lead. Unfortunately for her, that's even more unlikely than her toppling Obama's pledged delegate lead.
0 Replies