Hillary Clinton for President - 2008

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:27 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
sozobe wrote:
A gracious end to a hard-fought campaign. I wish she had been the candidate she was today more often... but it was a very good end and deserving of high praise.

Are you willing to clone yourself?

A sozobe world would, for me, be a bit boring, but it would be a heck of a lot nicer.

Finn,

That might be the nicest thing you've ever said... I'm feeling it.

I just realized I have recently achieved "Veteran Member" status which I assume is earned by meeting or exceeding 5000 posts.

I can't believe I have spent so much time in this silly ass forum.

Never-the-less, I doubt anyone would know if this was the nicest thing I ever posted on A2K, it certainly isn't the nicest thing I've ever said.

I'm glad it tickled your fancy though.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:49 pm
Nevertheless, congrats on your new status. I'm sure you've said nicer things in your life.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 03:26 am
http://i26.tinypic.com/121wcw1.jpg
The Observer, 08.06.08, page 22
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 05:47 am
Aw...!

Nice thing to read first thing in the morning, thanks Finn. :-)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 12:45 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Dear Walter,

While this cartoon is funny to at least half the Democratic voters, it's offensive to the other half. I think we should all follow Obama's lead and leave the politics of division behind us and look with hope and respect to a brighter more tolerant tomorrow.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 01:04 pm
Lola wrote:
Dear Walter,

While this cartoon is funny to at least half the Democratic voters, it's offensive to the other half. I think we should all follow Obama's lead and leave the politics of division behind us and look with hope and respect to a brighter more tolerant tomorrow.

Dear Lola,

You queasy types really should not be paying attention to politics, or any power games for that matter, until and unless your constitution becomes strong enough to deal with the sausage factory named Democracy.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 01:22 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Obama's on the Harlem Globetrotters?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 01:27 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Isn't that saying that Obama is not the real deal, that he is about the show?? That's offensive...I object to this CARTOON *insert sarcasm*
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:33 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Lola wrote:
Dear Walter,

Dear Lola,

You queasy types really should not be paying attention to politics, or any power games for that matter, until and unless your constitution becomes strong enough to deal with the sausage factory named Democracy.

Not "queasy" just not masochistic enough to put up with the likes of you.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:35 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Isn't that saying that Obama is not the real deal, that he is about the show?? That's offensive...I object to this CARTOON *insert sarcasm*

Put your sharp stick away, Hawkeye. We're seen it before.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:59 pm
Lola wrote:

Snappy. Totally off subject, but snappy. Getting back to the subject then, why do you feel that we need to police communication so that you will not be offended? Do you not know that many people think that McCain is too old for the Job? That Hillary is all about Hillary? That Obama is too self confident and too flashy? If you do know this then what is wrong with a cartoon that conveys these already conceived mainstream opinions?

I am so sick of you a2K women who can't hold a reasonable debate of facts and ideas so you jump into personal attack instead as diversion. Please either support your beliefs or admit that you can't.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:25 pm
Lola wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Lola wrote:
Dear Walter,

Dear Lola,

Wise thoughts since you're conversing with A2K's newest, most overtly misogynistic A-hole.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 01:34 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Lola wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Lola wrote:
Dear Walter,

Dear Lola,

Wise thoughts since you're conversing with A2K's newest, most overtly misogynistic A-hole.

Oh goody! Points for me..........does he go by any other name? I've been away too long.

Good article about Hillary. It's balanced and lacking in idealization. In other words, it's refreshing.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/06/08/hillary_concession/

Quote:
Hillary's final curtain

Now that Clinton's campaign is over, I want to remember her as she's truly been -- a pain in the ass, sometimes ill-behaved, and a woman who changed history.

By Rebecca Traister

An excerpt:

Quote:

Clinton's campaign is not yet cold (and, I suspect, will probably maintain a reptilian pulse in the months between now and Denver), but the urge to eulogize its place in women's history is powerful. Already there is the beating of breasts and rending of garments from the true-believer Hillary feminists, a wailing wall of second-wave sorrow and swooning celebration of the doors opened to their daughters and granddaughters. (Just think, little Sally Ann, some day you too can live out your life's ambition and be painted an emasculating succubus by a press corps that clings almost erotically to the fantasy of your eventual defeat! Yea!) Now that she no longer poses a threat, there are tributes streaming in from feminist pundits who backed Obama and are now comfortable enough to gingerly pat Clinton on the back and extend some tepid "You go girl" plaudits from a distance safe enough to protect them from her Old White Lady cooties. Then there are those critics sticking to their guns, reminding us that Clinton's loss is no one's fault but her own, that she may have been a lady, but she was no feminist heroine. Maybe if she hadn't voted for the war; maybe if she hadn't been married to Bill; maybe if she hadn't played the gender card; maybe if she'd been more of a feminist icon. Then, maybe, these people could have gotten excited about her as a presidential candidate.

But while we may all wish that our groundbreaking leaders came in prettier packages, and that high butterfat cheese was good for us, the reality is that we get what we get. And we got Hillary Clinton. In no small part, we probably got her thanks to the very reasons so many can't abide her: her ambition, her ruthlessness, her gift for triangulation, her marriage, her centrism, her hawkishness. It's an exceedingly uncommon alchemy; in more than two centuries of American history, no woman has been able to break into the presidential boys club, and I can't think of many women of sterling liberal character who would have succeeded where she failed to satisfy all feminists. Wake me when Barbara Ehrenreich can win Ohio, you know?

Like it or not, Hillary Rodham Clinton was the first female battering ram to rattle the Oval Office door, and while sorrowful Hillary-heads may lyrically and lovingly catalog her many achievements, her bravery and grace, I'd prefer to think of her as she actually has been: a pain in the ass to support, an often inept and ungainly campaigner. She was ill-behaved, she made mistakes, and waged an often dirty and tone-deaf campaign, performing precious few electoral pirouettes. But she also pulverized any quaint notions of what presidential races are supposed to look like and how girls might compete in them.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 01:48 am
Oh and just one more while I'm at it:

Clinton Endorses Obama

Quote:
Hillary Clinton did everything she needed to do in Saturday's Barack Obama endorsement in Washington. The highlight had to be when she said: "Today I am standing with Senator Obama to say: Yes we can!"

After the speech, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann immediately suggested she'd talked too much about herself and her historic run - sigh -- but Tim Russert had the grace to say she "executed perfectly."

I'm not sure what more Olbermann or anyone could ask Clinton to say about Obama beyond what she did: "I endorse him and throw my full support behind him, and I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me. I have served in the Senate with him for four years. I've had a front row seat to his candidacy." She talked about "his strength and determination, his grace and his grit." She promised that Democrats could bring back "peace, prosperity and progress ... by ensuring that Barack Obama walks through the doors of the Oval Office Jan. 20, 2009."

Can anyone really begrudge Clinton's graceful nod to the sexism she faced? She noticed that when she was asked on the campaign trail about gender, she often said, "I was proud to be running as a woman, but I was running because I thought I'd be the best president. But I am a woman, and like millions of women, I know there are still barriers and biases out there, often unconscious ... Although we weren't able to shatter the highest and hardest glass ceiling, it's got about 18 million cracks in it and the light is shining through like never before."

But she had some advice for those still second-guessing the campaign, its missteps or her mistreatment: "Don't go there. Every moment wasted looking back keeps us from looking forward. Life is too short ... I'm going to work my heart out to make sure Senator Obama is the next president ... We will make history together."

Will it be enough to win still-smarting Clinton supporters over to Obama's side? I find it hard to imagine any devoted Clinton supporter who would be unmoved by her appeal Saturday, but time will tell.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:37 am
I came across Hilary's speech on C-SPAN while looking for the weather channel.

Listened to her for about a minute - what an egotistic, self centered bitch.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:39 am
it's really disappointing to hear you say that cj.... because she always speaks well of you...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:45 am
cjhsa
It takes an egotistic, self centered person to recognize another one.

BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:48 am
Apparently neither of you listened to the speech, or have a deep lack of comprehension... crazy lady wanted the United States of Hillary...

It sure sounded like it anyway.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:51 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
I am so sick of you a2K women who can't hold a reasonable debate of facts and ideas so you jump into personal attack instead as diversion. Please either support your beliefs or admit that you can't.

hawkeye is sick of A2K women? Who woulda thunk it?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:51 am
cjsha
cjhsa wrote:
I came across Hilary's speech on C-SPAN while looking for the weather channel.
Listened to her for about a minute - what an egotistic, self centered bitch.

What part of the "minute" that you listened to convince you of that?

The first minute: "Thank you so much. Thank you all.

Well, this isn't exactly the party I'd planned, but I sure like the company.

I want to start today by saying how grateful I am to all of you - to everyone who poured your hearts and your hopes into this campaign, who drove for miles and lined the streets waving homemade signs, who scrimped and saved to raise money, who knocked on doors and made calls, who talked and sometimes argued with your friends and neighbors, who e-mailed and contributed online, who invested so much in our common enterprise, to the moms and dads who came to our events, who lifted their little girls and little boys on their shoulders and whispered in their ears, "See, you can be anything you want to be."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/07/politics/main4161862.shtml

BBB
0 Replies