Between a Rock and A Hard Place

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:33 am
engineer wrote:
This is surprising and disappointing for me as well. Is there anything else in this bill that is objectionable to McCain? I don't understand his vote.

He's fighting off conservative distrust in the middle of his election campaign - distrust from the base that he'll need as footsoldiers in the general elections. Much of the conservative base thinks waterboarding is A-OK - thats the crowd Romney was pandering to when he promised to "double Guantanamo". Now it's McCain's turn.

In spite of his media-loved maverick status, it's hardly the first time he's abandoned his principles in order to pander to the hardcore conservative crowd - he's done it again and again.

See his conversion to the conservative dogma that cutting taxes further now in the US will actually increase revenue - total BS according to economists and even the cooler conservative head, but a kind of litmus test for the hardcore crowd anyway. So while once upon a time he opposed Bush's tax cuts for the wealthiest as fiscally irresponsible, he's now telling reporters that such tax cuts actually boost revenue.

Torture is of course a much more emotionally loaded topic, which makes his sell-out much more poignant - but it's hardly out of character.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:43 am
Yep. I can't remember which thread I was talking about this so I'll just say so here -- this is part of what I meant in saying that by fighting off Huckabee for the nomination, McCain will hurt himself in the general.

Even if Huckabee can't actually win the nomination, there are a whole lot of conservatives who are demanding that McCain prove his conservative cred. Maybe that would've happened even if Huckabee dropped out or was getting single-digit percentages, but Huckabee, by providing an outlet for that discontent, certainly doesn't help.

Of course maybe I'm being overly charitable in assuming that McCain is personally opposed but is pandering to the conservatives. Maybe he actually thinks torture is OK.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:42 am
Then again I have two close friends, one with the Rangers and one in the Marines, who have both undergone waterboarding as part of their survival training. I don't like the practice and, the way they describe it, it is pretty awful. But that will probably weigh into the consideration for the vote for many who will have to decide if waterboarding fits the intended definition of torture. So it is not entirely obvious if McCain can be fully condemned on his vote on this one. I am absolutely convinced that McCain does not think torture is okay.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:50 am
SERE training (survival, evasion, resistence, & escape) for Navy & Air Force aviators & special forces involved this and a few other techniques as well (the box was worse). All designed to create fear and disorientation. They do work.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 04:39 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Then again I have two close friends, one with the Rangers and one in the Marines, who have both undergone waterboarding as part of their survival training. I don't like the practice and, the way they describe it, it is pretty awful. But that will probably weigh into the consideration for the vote for many who will have to decide if waterboarding fits the intended definition of torture. So it is not entirely obvious if McCain can be fully condemned on his vote on this one. I am absolutely convinced that McCain does not think torture is okay.

The point is that he has stated waterboarding is torture and now refuses to back a ban on it.

Quote:
"All I can say is that it was used in the Spanish Inquisition, it was used in Pol Pot's genocide in Cambodia, and there are reports that it is being used against Buddhist monks today," Mr. McCain, who spent more than five years in a North Vietnamese prison camp, said in a telephone interview.

Of presidential candidates like Mr. Giuliani, who say that they are unsure whether waterboarding is torture, Mr. McCain said: "They should know what it is. It is not a complicated procedure. It is torture."

source

Something is not complicated and is torture or it is not; he can't have it both ways. In any sane definition waterboarding is and always has been torture. Whether it is successful or not is not the point. Either we have standards or we don't.

Now with the recent Supreme Court ruling it shouldn't even be an issue; but we live in this bizarreo world and if we elect McCain we are only going to be continuing the same. I imagine that is good news for you but for those of us who want a change; McCain will not bring it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 04:49 pm
I don't get that waterboarding training, however difficult, equates with real life prisoner fear going into and during waterboarding, also within context of an array of other interrogations. Kind of like practicing kissing from a cartoon how-to site. Not to belittle the training, but real fear is not the same, however calibrated.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 04:53 pm
Yeah, I get what you mean. Much of the terror of it is "I'm going to die." In training, you know that people are there watching who are on your side and who will pull you back from the brink. Not to say it isn't scary -- I'm sure it is, and I'd really rather not do it thankyouverymuch. But they seem like fundamentally different things.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 04:55 pm
I think we're screwed no matter what. NO ONE can undo what bush has done anytime soon. Bad times ahead.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:13 pm
Yes, what I meant, to Sozobe.

And true, too, to Bear.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:14 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I don't get that waterboarding training, however difficult, equates with real life prisoner fear going into and during waterboarding, also within context of an array of other interrogations. Kind of like practicing kissing from a cartoon how-to site. Not to belittle the training, but real fear is not the same, however calibrated.

To equate scaring the bejeebers out of somebody (or offending, embarassing, ridiculing, placing in uncomfortable/boring environments, etc.) without inflicting severe pain or doing actual harm as being no different from inflicting intractable pain, maiming, mutilation, injury, especially irreversible injury, etc. is subject to reasonable debate, however.

When it comes to national security and possibly the safety/lives of hundreds or thousands of people at stake, there is room to discuss what can be acceptable or not acceptable or more precisely, what is extreme and what is not extreme. John McCain has been heavily criticized for stating that he would remove known terrorists from military custody and bring them to the USA where they would have the same rights and protections as US citizens, meaning they could easily be turned loose on the whim of judge or a technicality. When he joined with the liberals to declare that any aggressive interrogation method constituted torture, he was even more severely criticized, especially by those who do see a distinction between scaring somebody and actually inflicting physical damage to somebody.

As McCain has experienced real torture first hand, it was felt he of all people should know the difference; therefore he was seen as pandering to the Left for political advantage.

Now having to reinvent himself to be acceptable to a broad and widely diverse conservative electorate, he is in something of a quandary. He's damned by somebody no matter what he decides.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:19 pm
He has been sort of Rorschach-y. Many people have been able to hope that he REALLY thinks X but just does Y for political expediency. A lot of these people want clarification before voting for him. If he clarifies a more conservative position than he's occupied before, he's likely to lose independents and moderates, and vice versa.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:28 pm
Quote:
"double Guantanamo".

Featuring a picture of Mitt, this oughta be a Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:34 pm
I have my own primitive doubts that anything anyone gives up under torture or its equivalents is of value, except to get the Questioner and cohorts off on goose chasing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:36 pm
foxfire wrote:
Quote:
As McCain has experienced real torture first hand, it was felt he of all people should know the difference; therefore he was seen as pandering to the Left for political advantage.

Now having to reinvent himself to be acceptable to a broad and widely diverse conservative electorate, he is in something of a quandary. He's damned by somebody no matter what he decides.

Pandering to the left for what political advantage? Who charged him with pandering to the left in that instance? Do you have some quotes from someone other than Rush or Coulter?

That's he's "damned by sombody no matter what he decides" is hardly unique to McCain. It is a consequence of opening one's mouth and talking.

This is a further pander to try and bridge over to the kook end of his party get their votes and support. For a man who runs on 'character', straight-talk and integrity, its just bloody saddening.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:56 pm
McCain in 2008!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:59 pm
blatham wrote:
foxfire wrote:
Quote:

Pandering to the left for what political advantage? Who charged him with pandering to the left in that instance? Do you have some quotes from someone other than Rush or Coulter?

That's he's "damned by sombody no matter what he decides" is hardly unique to McCain. It is a consequence of opening one's mouth and talking.

This is a further pander to try and bridge over to the kook end of his party get their votes and support. For a man who runs on 'character', straight-talk and integrity, its just bloody saddening.

IMO, many of us have long thought McCain's pandering to the Left has been bloody saddening. That's part of the problem now. He basked in the adulations of the likes of Ted Kennedy and Lieberman when Lieberman was still in the good graces of the Democratic Party. He loved being the MSM darling and guest of choice on all the talk shows. He loved being the rebel, the maverick, the one who had the courage to go against the tide, yadda yadda. And he tilted so far left that conservatives began to mistrust him.

But more than all that he wants to be president. He has wanted that for a very long time. And it should be clear that his support, though it has been enough to win primaries, is shaky. He can't be missing that Obama is beating him in almost all polls and he and Hillary are just about dead even statistically. He has to solidify the base.

So which will we get. The straight talker Leftish John McCain? Or a newly outed conservative John McCain? And can he convince enough people that the conservative McCain is truly conservative enough to merit their vote?

In all honestly, at this point I don't know. But I hope.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:14 pm
Quote:
He loved being the MSM darling and guest of choice on all the talk shows. He loved being the rebel, the maverick, the one who had the courage to go against the tide, yadda yadda.

If one is going to have self-pride, independence of mind is not a bad thing to have as source of that pride. That the press clearly tend to like him is a serious electoral advantage for him or for anyone and all politicians hope for and work for this end. If he pulls independents in the election, it will be from all of this. It's rather inconceivable that you'd find anything to complain about here other than some notion that if a Republican is respected by the "MSM" or by independents, or if he moves off of doctrinal certainties, then he must ipso facto be an improper republican or conservative or american.

Quote:
And he tilted so far left that conservatives began to mistrust him.

That 'conservatives' perceive where he came down on certain issues as "so far left" is, I advise you, a fundamental facet of why your movement is now facing what it is facing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:18 pm
It's all ridiculous to me. Guys or girls with ropes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:26 pm
ossobuco wrote:
It's all ridiculous to me. Guys or girls with ropes.

Yeah. Ropes are weird. Handcuffs and whips with jalapeno peppers at the ends however...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:28 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

So which will we get. The straight talker Leftish John McCain? Or a newly outed conservative John McCain? And can he convince enough people that the conservative McCain is truly conservative enough to merit their vote?

In all honestly, at this point I don't know. But I hope.

That is a good bit of honesty. To become a straight talker, McCain had to move left. Or he can move right, mouth conservative BS and grab a few votes.

He didn't, of course, either move left or become a straight talker. He is a sniveling little panderer. He possesses just a scintilla of morality more than the current presidink, which is enough to make him a "good" republican president, though a disaster for the world and the USA.

That picture of him embracing GWB shows it all. He looks like a short Ted Baxter. Except Ted Baxter had a great deal more depth to him.
0 Replies