0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 05:06 am
I'm good at translations, he? Very Happy
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 05:11 am
Quote:
Stray Cat, a German fireman would speak German not English with a fake German accent.

I know, urs. I was just being silly. (I had a couple of martinis the other night!)

My heritage is heavily german, so it's all in the family. :wink:

But let me just say:

CJ wrote:

Quote:
As you can see from the vast majority writing here, most of us defended
the German firefighters, they did an outstanding job, as do all firefighters
around the world.

Ich stimme zu! (I hope that translates the right way!)
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:22 am
Sorry, Stray Cat. That thread kinda got to me... Rolling Eyes Maybe I should have had some Martinis too.

I didn't know you had German heritage and yes, you translated correctly.

Francis, what you don't speak Turkish? I have a couple of Turkish friends but luckily they speak German.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:38 am
Danke, Straycat! Smile

urs, don't get mad, get even! But I agree, it's difficult for someone
new to a2k, to spot the knuckleheads immediately. That's why we
point them out Laughing

Seriously, I have nothing but good to say about firefighters, either
here or across the Atlantic, they all do an outstanding job, and for
someone to even remotely insinuate that they would not help anyone
who is foreign to them, is more than ridiculous, it's a darn impertinence.

Did I say knuckleheads already?.....
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:09 am
I know, CJ! Usually I just read this kind of threads and don't answer. It's mostly not worth it. And now I answer because I don't get it.... Oh my, I'm getting old...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:32 am
Quote:
That thread kinda got to me

To tell you the truth, it kind of got to me too. Last night, I was being goofy when I made my first post (thanks to the martinis! Smile )

But this morning, I read over the thread again, and I couldn't believe that this story about the firefighters somehow morphed into a discussion of WWII.

As someone of German heritage, I find that annoying. Do we always have to go there?

Germany has such a rich history and culture. I wonder how many people appreciate the German contribution to literature? And the fun and fanciful folklore?

The Grimm brothers gave you many of the fairytales that children still love to read today. In fact, the Germans gave you Santa Claus, people! It doesn't get any more fun and fanciful than that!

Anyway, the German firefighters obviously did a good job, the best they could under the circumstances. And the circumstances were very challenging to say the least.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 11:54 am
Quote:
Case closed on mass fire deaths that outraged Turkey

Ludwigshafen, 23.07.2008
German prosecutors closed the file Wednesday on a building fire that killed nine Turkish Alawite people in Germany, saying they were convinced it had been an accident. Many Turkish people have expressed a feeling that the February 3 fire may have been a cleverly disguised racist attack.

But prosecutors said they had "almost certainly" ruled out arson. The fire had begun under the staircase of the multistoreyed apartment block in the factory town of Ludwigshafen, south of Frankfurt.

No technical defect was found in the building, so the fire must have been caused by some sort of "negligent behaviour."

The inquiry, assisted by police officers from Turkey, had never uncovered the fire cause, but "there are no lines of inquiry left," the prosecutors said. Scientists checked the rundown, century-old building in vain for any traces of flammable liquid.

The victims, all women and children, were trapped on upper storeys where they had been watching a carnival parade in the street below.

The prosecutors said they followed up 200 clues and interviewed 120 witnesses. If any new evidence emerged, the inquiry would be re-opened.
Source: dpa
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 01:50 pm
Thank you, Walter. It is nice to read that the fire fighters got vindicated.

Not in everyone eyes of course, but little cj is anyways beating to a different
drum.
0 Replies