Wassup with German Fire Trucks?

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:22 am
Look closely at this image. People trapped on the fourth floor (europeans would say the third floor) have just dropped their infant son because the firefighters ladders couldn't reach them. Nine people were killed and they are not sure if the boys parents survived. The child lived - caught by a police officer!!!

Doesn't Germany have ladder trucks? Here in the states our ladder trucks can reach up to 100' or more. What the heck?

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2008/02/05/image3790368.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,697 • Replies: 148
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 10:45 am
The fire department came 5 minutes after the 911 call (110 in Germany)
and the fire broke out in the upper floor, but the smoke you're seeing stems from the staircase that was wood and burning badly, thus preventing the people from running down. Nine people died of smoke inhalation. My guess is that they waited too long to call 911, as the building was occupied mainly by foreigners.

German fire engines are among the best in the latest technology.

http://www.feuerwehr.pforzheim.de/einsatz/ein2000/hirsaug.jpg

http://www.ili-gis.com/_bilder/fotos/2006_papst/ffw_leiter.jpg

http://www.feuerwehr-weblog.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/magirus_alp.jpg

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images_v2/002/584/676/20070601/dyn008_original_480_640_pjpeg_2584676_0f42664b2f7ad7cd1b6583aeb4bd0208.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/cit43/Autoshorsserie_2/Pompiers_Congres_2003/Man_Echelle_Feuerwehr_1_T.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:36 am
Re: Wassup with German Fire Trucks?
cjhsa wrote:
Look closely at this image. People trapped on the fourth floor (europeans would say the third floor) have just dropped their infant son because the firefighters ladders couldn't reach them. Nine people were killed and they are not sure if the boys parents survived. The child lived - caught by a police officer!!!

Doesn't Germany have ladder trucks? Here in the states our ladder trucks can reach up to 100' or more. What the heck?

I imagine that you knew more about that tragical incident (perhaps domne by you German Nazi friends) when you had the story and not only looked at the pictures.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:45 am
Aw, calm down, Walter - your post was so confused CJ probably needs a translation, so here goes:

CJ - the inhabitants were Turks, probably illegals, the building was way overcrowded with hundreds instead of dozens living there, fire regulations had not been observed (only one wooden staircase, no smoke detectors, etc) and now the German left is trying to claim that some neo-Nazi started the fire.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:53 am
High Seas wrote:
CJ - the inhabitants were Turks, probably illegals, the building was way overcrowded with hundreds instead of dozens living there, fire regulations had not been observed (only one wooden staircase, no smoke detectors, etc) and now the German left is trying to claim that some neo-Nazi started the fire.....

No.

All 54 people living there were registered, no-one has been there illegally.

Among the residents are two families with Turkish citizens.

It's doubtfull that there were hundreds, but certainly more the 54 in the building (about one 80 to 100).
Fire regulations had been observed - at least nothing contradictionary is known until now.

The Germans don't start the claim - that's in all the Turkish papers - the state's PM denied such from the beginning as well as the mayor and the police.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:54 am
Quote:
and now the German left is trying to claim that some neo-Nazi started the fire.....
To the best of my knowledge the government of Turkey is not considered "the German left."

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on Germany to mount a ``comprehensive probe'' into a fire in an apartment block in the southwestern city of Ludwigshafen in which nine Turks died.

Turkey will dispatch State Minister Mustafa Yazicioglu and a police team to Germany today to follow the investigation into the blaze, which also injured 20 Turkish citizens, Erdogan told legislators in a televised speech at parliament today. Erdogan is due in Berlin for talks with Chancellor Angela Merkel on Feb. 8 as part of a pre-arranged visit.

``We are extremely concerned about the possibility of premeditated motives in a fire in which all the victims were Turks,'' he said. ``Is xenophobia behind this event? We certainly hope not.''
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:56 am
So where were those great german fire trucks anyway?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:05 pm
CJ - they got there 4 (four) minutes after the emergency call, but it was too late for ladders already.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:06 pm
High Seas wrote:
CJ - they got there 4 (four) minutes after the emergency call, but it was too late for ladders already.

You'd think you'd see one in that picture, at least attempting to deploy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:13 pm
There are several hundred photos online ...

http://i28.tinypic.com/33e37eo.jpg

... and some thousand eye wittnesses.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:18 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Among the residents are two families with Turkish citizens.

Well, perhaps you should inform this German newspaper that their information that ALL inhabitants of the building were EXCLUSIVELY Turks is wrong:

Quote:
Das bei einem Brand vor zwei Tagen völlig zerstörte Haus in Ludwigshafen wurde ausschließlich von Türken bewohnt.

http://islam.de/9823.php
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:20 pm
What I said: the Turkish media report(ed) differently to what local authorities know and say (e.g. it is not known that this house has been a center for neo-nazis ....).

On the other: it certainly can be so. Mostly others know more than local and especially officials.

And certainly the ME-press is more to trust, too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:36 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Okay, the Ludwigshafen firebrigade had four ladder engines (first arrived four minutes after the alarm, second 6 mins. The other two a bit later) there and two cranes (first arrived 20 mins after alarm). The additional two cranes were by the THW (= Agency for Technical Relief, a disaster relief organisation).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:39 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Okay, the Ludwigshafen firebrigade had four ladder engines (first arrived four minutes after the alarm, second 6 mins. The other two a bit later) there and two cranes (first arrived 20 mins after alarm). The additional two cranes were by the THW (= Agency for Technical Relief, a disaster relief organisation).
well Walter, it they were any good they would have arrived before the alarm was sounded. I always thought Germans were efficient but, alas, I am wrong, again.
I am quite sure that, here in America, our ladder trucks would have arrived at least 2 minutes before the alarm sounded.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:40 pm
The story reads that the firemen's ladders could not reach them.

I wonder what the real story is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The story reads that the firemen's ladders could not reach them.

You see, cjhs, this happened two days ago. Due to the carnival parade, a lot of tv- and photo reporters were around there ...

http://i28.tinypic.com/2hzoh7b.jpg

... you should join the investigation, I'm sure your help would be gretaly appreciated!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:46 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I am quite sure that, here in America, our ladder trucks would have arrived at least 2 minutes before the alarm sounded.

I know.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:48 pm
You ever notice how helpful reporters are in an emergency?

They should have made human pile of reporters for those people to jump on.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:00 pm
shiksa wrote:
I think I speak for all of us here on a2k when I say we await your explanation of "the real story" because we all know what a stickler your are for honest reporting of just the facts.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:00 pm
I looked again and I still see no ladders in that first pic.
0 Replies