Wassup with German Fire Trucks?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:03 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I looked again and I still see no ladders in that first pic.

Obviously, some hundred eyewitnesses lied, photos, tv videos and official diaries are falsified.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:06 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
I looked again and I still see no ladders in that first pic.

Obviously, some hundred eyewitnesses lied, photos, tv videos and official diaries are falsified.

I'm sure they were there Walt. But where?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:10 pm
when was that first pic taken?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:10 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
when was that first pic taken?

cjhsa will know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:12 pm
Ooops, he'd changed his rsponse.

To answer your altered response: see my pic above.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:29 pm
High Seas, after cjhs picture, I looked online and took the info from an
online news source. A response after only 4 minutes is excellent, in my
view.

cjhs, don't you see any ladders here, from Walter's picture? Are you blind?

http://i28.tinypic.com/33e37eo.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:35 pm
Actually, an ambulance arrived less than one minute after the alarm - while about a dozen policemen were already there.

'Stern online' (I think) published on Sunday the report of a freelance photo-reporter.
He had pictured the parade and passed the house on his way home. He noticed nothing .... until he was some dozen meters away: namely the policemen and the ambulance.
And when he went back, he arrived at the house at the same time as the first fire engines (many of the first photos are his, too).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:03 pm
[http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2008/02/05/image3790368.jpg

Check out the dude in the lower right corner. Here there is high drama taking place behind him, a huge building is ablaze and there is a baby hurtling through the air, and yet something else is more worthy of his attention. But what? I am guessing he is mesmerized by the decolletage of the german waitress on the opposite side of the street...

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/181/german-helles-beer_9694.jpg

I guess I can't blame the guy. I'd rather watcher her than falling babies myself.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:05 pm
My god! I believe that might be Calamity Jane! Did she pick up a part time job?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:08 pm
cjhsa, i saw the photo which you posted on CNN website, among 6 other photos that show ladders, cranes, rescue operations... all from the same source (AFP/Getty Images).
it seems you have not bothered to check beyond one photo to look for the whole story.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:08 pm
You know there are special trucks for Turks right?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:11 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
You know there are special trucks for Turks right?

Yes, they are called fireturks.

I'm sorry.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:13 pm
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/05/world/main3790364.shtml
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:20 pm
yes, and? nowhere does it say that the fire department took too long to come or that their ladders were short... In fact the video in your article shows ladders going all the way to the top of the building.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:21 pm
Go easy on him, dag. He is simply admitting that he was wrong.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:22 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
yes, and? nowhere does it say that the fire department took too long to come or that their ladders were short... In fact the video in your article shows ladders going all the way to the top of the building.

Yes it does, but not in the picture of the folks dropping the baby. The article clearly states that some peopel were rescued by ladder, but these people weren't. I don't understand the discrepancy.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:22 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Go easy on him, dag. He is simply admitting that he was wrong.

Wrong for what? Asking a question on A2K?

Maybe I should stick to asking questions about sheep colons. At least you might be able to answer those.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:29 pm
surely you have read the response to your question from the american fire fighter in the comments section under the article you referred to, your source of information.

In case you missed it:
In response to Kfisch2: I am a firefighter and can shed some light on your comments. The first unit due was most likely an engine (pump, water, manpower) responding to a call of an automatic smoke detector activation. On arrival, they called for a second and possibly third alarm which would bring an aerial device (tower or ladder), additional engines, heavy rescue, multiple ambulance units, and additional manpower. By the time the tower gets there, there is a crowd in front of the building, and the driver cannot get close. Time frame: MAYBE ten minutes. The units on the scene are going to be concerned with search and rescue first, fire attack second. The only way to get to the people on the fourth flow is from the inside or by an aerial device. The fourth story is too high up for ground ladders to be used to get a civilian out. Try climbing a ground ladder into a fourth story window with 60lbs of gear on - I have. Not easy. These guys did the best job they could in a bad situation. Normally, by the time the alarm gets called in, the fire is at an advanced stage. People don''t dial 911 early - they wait until they realize it is out of their control. By then, it is very late in the game. Just my two cents worth... By the way, VOLUNTEER! 75% of the fire and EMS service in the USA is by volunteers and we are critically short of people! We need all the help we can get!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:32 pm
Could be but it is just educated speculation on his part.

Something seems kinda funny to me. Not sure why. Oh well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:37 pm
It's wrong what that firefighter wrote in dag's quote;
a) it's documented differently,
b) it's not done that way in Germany (the first unit at such alarms consists of three trucks, including a ladder).

cjhsa wrote:
Could be but it is just educated speculation on his part.

Something seems kinda funny to me. Not sure why. Oh well.

What experiences and qualifications do you have in working with a fire brigade?

What do you know about the situation in Ludwigshafen on Sunday afternoon which isn't published yet?
0 Replies