If McCain Wins the Republican Primaries!

georgeob1

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 03:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I just look at the polls, is all. And listen to what people say. You are free to believe whatever you like about what they really think.

See, when I hear Republicans saying 'I like Obama's willingness to work with us,' I guess I'm foolish to believe them, b/c they are lying, right?

OK, but that doesn't mean they are likely to vote for him and against a Republican. I like several things about Obama, but won't vote for him.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

On the other hand, many Democrats were pushing for Mitt Romney - and they were quite up front about why, b/c they thought he would be the easiest to beat, not because he would make a good president.
Which is more or less the same point that I made.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I wonder who these Republicans you are talking with, are. Who was their favored Republican? It's likely the social conservatives who find more resonance with Obama's message then the big-business, Romney supporters such as yourself.
A small cross section of them, with elements of the full spectrum of Republican voters (no Evangelicals though). There are supporters of all the Republican candidates (save Huckabee) among them. I don't buy the neat segmentation of them among social conservatives, big-business supporters, etc that you imply. These are all rather messy, overlapping sets and the distinctions - in my view - don't mean much and are of little predictive value.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 03:11 pm
Quote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
On the other hand, many Democrats were pushing for Mitt Romney - and they were quite up front about why, b/c they thought he would be the easiest to beat, not because he would make a good president.

Which is more or less the same point that I made.

'cept the Dems are up-front about it, whereas you don't seem to believe that those Republicans who are saying they like Obama - and would vote for him - are being up front, but duplicitous.

The Dems didn't say that they like ANYTHING about Romney other then the fact that he would be easily defeated for Prez. That's the difference. Republicans have something to like about Obama, at least.

Now McCain is sort of like Obama - many Dems like certain things about him and some will probably vote for him. It's too bad that so many Republicans have sworn not to for years.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 03:28 pm
Cycloptichorn; I am curious about why you like McCain other than what he used to stand for but does not anymore. I mean he hasn't been anything but a mouth piece for Bush for some two years now.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:05 pm
revel wrote:
Cycloptichorn; I am curious about why you like McCain other than what he used to stand for but does not anymore. I mean he hasn't been anything but a mouth piece for Bush for some two years now.

For a couple of small reasons:

First, he's willing to be more liberal on immigration then the hardline Republican.

Second, he was the only one at the debates to call torture torture and denounce its' use. In fact, I recall him saying that he was disgusted at some of the things he heard other Republicans saying in support of it.

To me, that makes him a step above most of the Bush-bots out there.

cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:40 pm
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/08/10/politics/mills650.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:42 pm
I mean, he's not my first choice or anything. But I don't have the loathing for him that I do other Republican candidates.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:46 pm
After the SC and Fla primaries, Ive heard the conservative talk show folks (especially balloon head) speak against McCain . Limbaugh knows that, if Mcain were to win, he, (Limbaugh) would have 4 years of relatively dead air. Hes such a shill for the GOP that hed have to tow some sort of line. Limbaugh would rather see Clinton or Obama win so he could keep his ratings .
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:10 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
revel wrote:

For a couple of small reasons:

First, he's willing to be more liberal on immigration then the hardline Republican.

Second, he was the only one at the debates to call torture torture and denounce its' use. In fact, I recall him saying that he was disgusted at some of the things he heard other Republicans saying in support of it.

To me, that makes him a step above most of the Bush-bots out there.

cycloptichorn

I agree on the immigration issue; however; he wussed out on the torture issue when Bush put that statement in there saying he can torture if sees fit and McCain quietly let it slide. (words to that effect) Also; he has gone crazy and said all kinds of inane thing these last few years. "Bomb bomb Iran" ring any bells? Saying he wouldn't mind if we were in Iraq for another 100 years? He is always talking about more wars lately. In fact according to Chris Matthews (read on think progress) the presidents speech could have come from McCain they are similar and McCain didn't deny it. Even Bush is light on immigration so that shouldn't mean all that much. He has gone as right as he can get in my opinion just to win votes and he ain't even winning the votes he should with the way he has been talking lately but votes from the moderate crowd. I guess they don't realize how much he has changed.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:00 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I heard you the first time. Petty attempts at insult don't make you look any smarter. Nor do they make the moronic **** you've been posting lately seem any more coherent.

It wasn't a petty attempt at an insult it's a fact. the very fact you feel qualified to judge me as moronic because my points of view and opinion are radically different from yours proves it.
Dude. Were you drunk when you posted this drivel? Your opinions are not facts. The FACT that I find your recent posts moronic, doesn't mean I've judged you to be moronic (not terribly bright, perhaps, but not moronic. Razz)

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
After furthere consideration I've decided i can't vote for Barack Obama at all and I certainly can't vote for ANY republican that's being offered so I will write in if that's how it shakes out.
Laughing This strikes me as: BPB, seeking attention. There is no coherent way for someone with your politics to defend such a moronic decision. You have been among the most adamant attackers of the Bush administration for his Iraq policy. And now you're comparing the only candidate left in the race that spoke out against it to him? Huh? I noticed on another thread that you said something to the effect of it's not his color and it's not your lack of intelligence… but there seems to be no viable third explanation…

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
You got a problem with that stick it whefe the sun don't shine... which could be top or bottom.
Ooh. I'll have to remember that one for future use against my 10 year old nephew. He's liable to think it clever. But I doubt it. He's pretty sharp.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:06 pm
bill quit flirting with me. and don't touch your nephew.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:10 pm
If I were 71 years old
I would not make a clumsy figure
nor i would dare to legitimaize the torture regime.
Of course
some have views devoid of reality.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:58 pm
Heh heh heh. If he wins it...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 06:24 am
Ann Coulter Promises to campaign for Hillary!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:11 am
ebrown_p wrote:

Other Right Wing blabber mouths are saying the same thing, probably as a "scare tactic". However, by doing so, it just makes them look more foolish than they already are.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:22 am
Ticomaya wrote:
If McCain wins the primary -- and I'll be voting for him on Tuesday -- then I certainly will vote for him in the General.

Sounds like you would prefer a leftist over a moderate. Not my choice, but it is entirely your call, of course.

I vote against demokkkrats and would vote for McCain over any demokkkrat, but don't ask for money or any other form of support for the guy.

McCain is the worst possible choice for a republican candidate. In a perfect world we might not have political parties and we might be asked to pick a president based purely on brains, talent, speaking ability, character, and other human factors. On a scale of one to ten for that sort of thing, Obama would rate a 9.5 and McCain a two or a three at best.

I'd categorize McCain as a RINO and a ****head more than as a "moderate" and it should not be possible for independants and others to force the guy down the throat of the GOP; I'm hoping normal pubbies will find a way to prevent it at the convention. FAIK, the guy's not pulling any more than about 35% of the vote anywhere.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:26 am
Ramafuchs wrote:
...nor i would dare to legitimaize the torture regime.

If I were running a war against slammite terrorists, there wouldn't be any waterboarding either. The guy in charge of any place like GITMO oir Abu Ghraib would be a hog farmer, and a cell without (other) pigs in it would be a reward for valuable information.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 07:19 am
Ticomaya wrote:
If McCain wins the primary -- and I'll be voting for him on Tuesday -- then I certainly will vote for him in the General.

Sounds like you would prefer a leftist over a moderate. Not my choice, but it is entirely your call, of course.

Take a look at this:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1964571/posts
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 07:32 am
Quote:
I can't argue there. But my distrust of Obama is real and runs deep. the guy is starting to creep me out just like bush did. He is the left wing george bush in my opinion and I can't bring myself to vote for that. I know I'm standing alone here but I don't care. This guy is no good for the country IMO.

Bi- I just glanced at your post, and realized that you are not alone. Obama creeps me out too. He reminds me of a college kid who thinks that he has all the right answers, but when it comes to the practicalities of life, he is nowhere.

I was a young woman in the 1960's, and went through seeing all these wide eyed idealists with all these "wonderful" ideas. I think that there is a point in time where maturity and practicality overrides "pie in the sky", and I don't think that Obama has reached that point in time yet.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 08:03 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
I can't argue there. But my distrust of Obama is real and runs deep. the guy is starting to creep me out just like bush did. He is the left wing george bush in my opinion and I can't bring myself to vote for that. I know I'm standing alone here but I don't care. This guy is no good for the country IMO.

Bi- I just glanced at your post, and realized that you are not alone. Obama creeps me out too. He reminds me of a college kid who thinks that he has all the right answers, but when it comes to the practicalities of life, he is nowhere.

I was a young woman in the 1960's, and went through seeing all these wide eyed idealists with all these "wonderful" ideas. I think that there is a point in time where maturity and practicality overrides "pie in the sky", and I don't think that Obama has reached that point in time yet.

You weren't a big JFK fan, were you Pheonix.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 09:43 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

See, this is the part I don't understand.

Obama's proposed policies are 98% identical to Hillary's policies. His may even be called less idealistic and ambitious, in terms of health care. He certainly was more to the center then John Edwards.

So, the idealistic part of Obama is... that he thinks that we can work together with people instead of trampling over them?

And you don't believe that it's possible for some cooperation?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies