Drug cocktail killed Heath Ledger: US officials
Mr Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine," the New York chief medical examiner's office said in a statement.
Ledger's father Kim, said he hoped the official toxicology results would end rumours surrounding his son's death and appealed for privacy.
"While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy," he said, adding "we respectfully request the worldwide media allow us time to grieve privately."
Three of the six prescription drugs found in Ledger's apartment had been filled in Europe.
Doctors not connected with the case said it would be unlikely for one doctor to prescribe all the drugs, as several of them were from the same class of drugs and used to treat similar symptoms. However, they said it was not unusual for people to be prescribed both painkillers and sedatives, and overdoses were not uncommon.
The AGE Melbourne 8/2/08