A Movie Scene Quiz

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:42 pm
Laughing Bree, I just knew you'd come to the rescue.

Louisa was the German ship that Rosie wanted to torpedo. And as to the roaring, Charlie said: "Just listen to this stomach of mine. Way it sounds, you'd think I had a hyena inside me. Ain't a thing I can do about it."
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:54 pm
The African Queen is only my favorite movie of all time -- I can't believe I didn't get this one right away! (And I would have, if only you'd mentioned a "skinny, psalm-singing old maid" in the scene description!)

This is from an oldie that's pretty obscure, but I have confidence that one of you will know it
A woman gets up from her table in a nightclub, walks up on the bandstand where a band is playing, and asks the trumpeter to hand over his trumpet. As her husband (maybe boyfriend -- it's been a while since I've seen the movie, so I can't remember if they're married) looks on in horror, expecting her to make a fool of herself (and, by association, of him), she raises the trumpet to her lips and plays -- beautifully!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:57 pm
I Want To Live
I'll Cry Tomorrow
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:02 pm
Not I Want to Live or I'll Cry Tomorrow
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:12 pm
Oh, why am I seeing Doris Day? Probably because she was in Young Man With a Horn.

I'll guess Young Man with a Horn.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:23 pm
Not Young Man With a Horn

That's three guesses, so here's a clue, plus some advice which I'll throw in for free. The advice is, don't focus on the trumpet, because it's only in one scene, which is funny but extraneous to the rest of the movie.

Clue: the title of the movie is a woman's name, but the title character is not a woman. It would sure Brighton my day if this helped you race to the correct answer.
0 Replies

jordan capri

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:25 pm
Annie Hall?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:30 pm
Not Annie Hall (but welcome, Jordan). You may not have noticed that, way back on the first page of this game, movies are defined as being either "oldies," "inbetweeners," or "newbies." The movie I'm thinking of is an oldie, which means it's pre-1960.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:31 pm
Lenny? /not a womans name.
0 Replies

jordan capri

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:31 pm
Oh what about Gone WIth the Wind that was pre 1960
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:33 pm
Not Lenny and not Gone With the Wind.

So far, all the guesses have been American movies (I think). Widen your horizons and look across the pond, guys!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:36 pm
Ninotchka?

(Garbo laughs)
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:37 pm
Not Ninotchka (Garbo may have laughed, but I don't think she ever played the trumpet). But you're in the right genre, now.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:52 pm
I'm starting to think this movie is so obscure that it may have been unfair of me to use it. I just checked on imdb, and it isn't available on video or DVD in the U.S. (although it is available in the country of its origin). It used to be shown fairly regularly on public TV in the U.S., which is how I came to know it, but now that I think about it, I don't think it's been shown recently (copyright problems, maybe?) So it's possible that it's just too unfamiliar to ring any bells.

Anyway, I'm willing to call this off and reveal the name of the movie, if everyone wants to move on. I have to log off shortly anyway, and I have a busy day at work tomorrow, so I probably won't be able to monitor this thread. I'll check back in a little while for your verdict.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:53 pm
Like most of my guesses this is "out of the blue" Jewel in the crown" again I havn't seen it.

I don't know why I participate.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:56 pm
If it's been on PBS, someone has probably seen it.

This is too new, but "Belle du Jour?"
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:04 pm
For some reason I thought of Kay Kendall. I don't know why. Anyway, I checked out her films and came up with Genevieve. I didn't see it, but I pictured Kay Kendall. Must have seen a still somewhere.

Genevieve?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:05 pm
Gilda? did I say that already?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:09 pm
The Blue Angel?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:13 pm
Oh, I know why I though of Kay Kendall. Bree mentioned My Fair Lady (Rex Harrison). Kay was married to him when she died.

Yep, Genevieve. She had another name in the movie. And it had to do with a "race" in Brighton.
0 Replies