A Movie Scene Quiz

fealola

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:15 pm
Gotta be then...
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:24 pm
And, in case I'm right, would you like to ask the next question, Fealola? I've got to call it a night.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:28 pm
You are on target as usual, Raggedy! It's Genevieve, a 1953 English movie about an antique car rally from London to Brighton (as you already figured out). "Genevieve" is the name of one of the cars. It's the kind of movie that should appeal to anyone who likes the Ealing comedies of the same era, like Kind Hearts and Coronets and The Man in the White Suit.

The movie focuses on two couples who are friends, but who are also very competitive (well, the men are, anyway) and want to beat each other in the race. Kenneth More and Kay Kendall play one of the couples, and it's Kay Kendall who has the trumpet-playing scene.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:35 pm
Bree. I know I've seen a photo/still of that somewhere. I noted that Larry Adler played the harmonica for the score. When I was a wee one, I wanted to play the harmonica like Larry Adler. I drove my dog crazy my mother, too. (lol)

Would someone like to ask the next question? (Fealola's been working very hard here. )
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:44 pm
If I remember correctly, Larry Adler wrote the score of Genevieve (which is delightful), in addition to playing the harmonica for the score. He was living in England at the time, having been blacklisted in the U.S. during the McCarthy era.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:52 pm
Oh, I had forgotten that he had been blacklisted. Very interesting. What a shame. The first record I owned of Adler was a 78 speed of Malaguena and Clair de Lune.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:56 pm
Bree -- the title is a woman's name but the the title character isn't a woman? Did you mean "main" character?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:59 pm
No, I meant the "title" character: the title of the movie is Genevieve, so -- to my way of thinking -- that makes Genevieve the title character, and Genevieve is a car, not a woman.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:03 pm
Here's a still of Kay Kendall playing the trumpet in Genevieve:

http://www.donbrockway.com/photogallery/photo18467/thumbnail64.jpg

I found it on a website about "Genevieve" which also has a whole page on the Larry Adler score. (The things you can find on the Internet!) The website is at:

The Making of Genevieve

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a link to "Music by Larry Adler," which will take you to the page on the score.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:09 pm
Sweet Dreams, Bree. You've a busy day ahead. Very Happy

And a Good Night to all.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:12 pm
Wow. Yes, that's the still I've seen. Thanks for the great link, Bree.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:29 am
One of my top ten comedies -- I should have remembered that one but I haven't seen it for several years. Not that obscure, Bree, and one of those ROTFL classics.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:26 am
Raggedy has passed to me!

Newie

A kinapping sceme is under way. In a crowded, noisy bar/restaraunt, a woman leaves the table. Her kidnappers spike her drink with something to knock her out. She returns and drinks it.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:50 am
Guessing:

The Big Lebowski
Breakdown
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 12:09 pm
Assassins
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 12:11 pm
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 12:13 pm
eoe is correct! Ya Ya.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 03:44 pm
You're up next, EOE.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 04:06 pm
Oh E!, Oh E!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 04:09 pm
Early inbetweener:
When the beautiful young woman handed the teller a check for several million dollars, made out to the US Govt, he thought it was an April Fools' joke.
0 Replies