Letty

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 05:25 pm
tyris, no. It isn't religion that is confusing, It is those who strive to make it confusing.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:08 am
Re: Trinity
Tyrius wrote:
What is it? When i go to the mosque i hear alot about it but never knew what it was.

I'll explain it to you - THE HOLY TRINITY

You know there are various Gods - God of love, God of wealth, God of wisdom and prosperity, etcetera. For simplicity's sake consider there is a God. This God interacts with us humans through a revelation or a thought. A thought occupies no space, exists in a dimension that we don't know of, etc., so it's like the spirit or mind that occupies no space and exists in a dimension that we don't know of, etc. As such thought or revelation is spirit. So a thought coming from God is the Holy Spirit. Now the thought or revelation comes to a human or to be precise a human body, so consider that human to be the child of God or God's incarnate. Therefore you have God, the Holy Spirit and the child of God. Or in other words you have the Father, the Holy Spirit and the Son. Where Son represents all life on earth that has consciousness and not just humans. The Holy Spirit represents all revelations and the Father represents all Gods. That's the Holy Trinity and that's how it works.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:14 am
Tyrius wrote:
Wouldnt that be polytheism?

The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are one God. Just as 1x1x1=1
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:24 am
Trinity Loren is a bombshell.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:47 am
Onion, Green Pepper, Celery, Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:15 am
Trinity:
Another term not found in the bible which has its roots in the religions of ancient Babylon.

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/pagan-trinity.jpg

LINK
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:34 am
What a fantastic link!
I haven't laughed so much in years.

Keep 'em coming..
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:43 am
Tyrius wrote:
*scratches head*

Oh my isnt religion confusing.

Please allow me to confuse you a little more, Tyrius. The concept of the Trinity as consisting of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit (or 'Ghost' in older translations) is pretty well glossed over in the Gospels. No big deal is made of it. The expression itself appears only twice, all in Paul's letters to the various churches. The Council of Nicea, as has been pointed out already, made it a part of the Canon. Now, while it may be true that the original concept goes back to the ancient Babylonians, as has also been suggested above, the reason why it becme such a hot topic in Nicea had nothing to do with ancient Babylon. It had a lot more to do with the Celtic tribes being proselytized at the time by the early Christian missionaries to Celtic lands (all of them 'Saints' now). It so happens that in Celtic mythology virtually all the gods of the Druidic religion have three aspects, all are three-in-one. It was felt that an emphasis on the threefold nature of the Christian God would aid the missionaries in their work. So this had to be enacted into dogma. And so it was.

If you're not sufficiently confused now, Tyrius, ask us some more questions. Confusion guaranteed or your skepticism cheerfully refunded!
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:59 am
To re-emphasise what Merry Andrew wrote:

St. Patrick, the legendary Welsh shepherd, is reputed to have introduced Christianity to Ireland in the 5th century.

His methodology involved using the shamrock to demonstate the trinity to the Irish people.

Whether or not the annual photo-op where the Irish PM presents the US Pres. with a bowl of shamrock on Paddy's Day is a continuation of this Christian evangilising is unclear. It is abundantly clear, however, that there are no snakes in the emerald Isle.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 02:15 pm
Anyone ever wonder where the old superstition, Bad things come in threes, originated?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 02:17 pm
Maybe this link can help a bit.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Trinity-Bible.html
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 05:15 pm
I don't really know where the saying, "Bad things come in threes" originated but back in my native India there's a similar saying that goes like this - "Teen tigaada kaam bigaada." It emphasizes something similar that three things create strife. I think it matters what the context is. If it's a HAPPENING then three is not good, for example: A third in the relationship creates trouble usually, two can share but the third will be left out, etc., and so in India particularly it is considered inauspicious to gift three things to a person, you either gift more or less. But if it's ACTION, then three is welcome. For example: A third opinion is always welcome, third time lucky, the third eye that sees everything (mind's eye). As for the Trinity, since 'God is Spirit' I'd say that in essence it is really a twosome, God and His creation, but in action it is three because God needs a connection with His creation through the Holy Spirit, which is good!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 05:53 pm
A couple of asides.

The "Law of Three" has general mystical and esoteric significance and has been expressed in various guises from "The Trinity" to "Thesis Antithesis Synthesis" (Hegel).

Sir Isaac Newton secretly renounced belief in the Trinity thereby making his tenure at Trinity College Cambridge precarious.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:24 pm
Weird, Fresco.

I was examining myself tonight in the light of dark.

http://www.carm.org/questions/numbers.htm

And there's your thesis/antithesis.

Of course, I always look at things a bit differently, Brit.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:29 pm
Letty

That link doesnt work.

You might like this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Three
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:45 pm
and so it doesn't, Fresco. Perhaps there are powers at play that we don't know about, my long time friend.<smile>

Anyway, it was just a lengthy and tedious explanation about numerology in the Bible.

Since my husband died, I have been doing a lot of looking inside, I think, so I'm probably not the one to ask about Trinity.
0 Replies

GeorgeCrofton

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:42 pm
Letty
Letty,

After reading your imprudent replies, I suggest that you take a strong laxative or a ten gallon enema. It is obvious that you are full of it...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:53 pm
GeorgeCrofton

Abuse is the language of the inarticulate.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:53 pm
Why, thank you, George. That was very encouraging.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:00 pm
Letty,

Don't you fret, girl. We all know and love you.
0 Replies