Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:04 pm
What is it? When i go to the mosque i hear alot about it but never knew what it was.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,505 • Replies: 138
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:46 pm
Hi, tyrius and welcome to A2K. Are you speaking of the trinity as described in religion? In Christianity, the trinity is: father--son--and holy ghost.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:57 pm
Thank you
Yes im talking about religion. Do you mean like 3-in-1?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:06 pm
Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, some religions only recognize father and son. I'm not a Bible scholar, but somewhere I remember reading that it was the Greek Orthodox Church.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:35 pm
Wouldnt that be polytheism?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:25 pm
Hmmmm. Polytheism? I have no idea, tyrius. Perhaps, but it's still somewhat Greek to me. Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:35 pm
a trinity by definition is a committee, ergo share the blame or point the finger.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:55 pm
Hey, dys. I do wonder why "trinity" was chosen for the name of the first A-Bomb test? Mushrooms of another type, eh?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:23 pm
:-o
that didnt make sense
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:26 pm
tyrius, trinity was the name of the site in new mexico where the first atom bomb was exploded.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:37 pm
a link my naive friend:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/radiation/story.htm

Ah, just thought of the beautiful words and music to the Navy Hymn:

Eternal Father, strong to save,

Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,

Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep

Its own appointed limits keep;

Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,

For those in peril on the sea!

O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard

And hushed their raging at Thy word,

Who walked'st on the foaming deep,

And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;

Most Holy Spirit! Who didst brood

Upon the chaos dark and rude,

And bid its angry tumult cease,

And give, for wild confusion, peace;

O Trinity of love and power!

Our brethren shield in danger's hour;

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,

Protect them wheresoe'er they go;

Thus evermore shall rise to Thee

Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

Dys, I just love the words and the music to that song. Music has nothing to do with my faith. Music just is...............................

tyrius, a slight diversion.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:50 pm
The Creole Cooking Trinity:
onion, green pepper and celery
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:52 pm
The Trinity Sessions by Cowboy Junkies
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:55 pm
Letty, when the male choir sings that while the submarine dives underwater in "Crimson Tide", it truly is wonderful.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 08:46 pm
eoe, no matter what the meaning, the song will always be the same.

dys, I am so sorry if I offended you. Did I? It was not my intent.

Goodnight from Florida
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 08:58 pm
Wink
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 09:06 pm
The father the son and the holy spirit all in one...when these powers combine We are the trinity! (that will make a cool cartoon)... born catholic!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 10:07 pm
The existence and canonical validity of the Trinity was one of the issues addressed at Nicea in 325 (along with the nature of the Christos, the validity of the doctrine of physical resurrection of the Christos, etc...). It is likely that proto-Judaic religions worshiped a divine creator and consort , i.e Yaweh, the father creator, and a consort referred to in later Hellenized form as Sophia. THis consort later became identified with the Holy Spirit,as a seperate, but mostly co-equal member of the godhead.
The Deification of the Christos became important as Christianity spread beyond first century Palestine and had to comepte with other eastern mystery cults. Paul's Jesus bears much resemblance to Mithras and Osiris, which is unsurprising when one considers the locations he is alleged to have prosylatized.
Argeuments aginst the Holy Spirit's co-equivalence were raised in defiance of the doctrine of the virgin birth. The arguement made was: how could something female (the Spirit) engender conception in another female? This was one of the main arguements put forth by the Adoptionists, who averred that Jesus became deified at the moment of baptism, and had normal parentage.
It was at the council that the formal definition of the trinity was put forth. Briefly, the trinity consisted of the Father Creator, a being outside of time and space (as it was conceived of in the fourth century), Jesus, a being co-equal to the father, yet subordinated by nature of being begotten by the godhead, and the Holy Spirit, a new degendered version of the consort that acted as a sort of unseen mover in creation.
One reason for the dispute that arose over the nature of the trinity seems to have been that it is a concept that arose in the late second or early third century. The Oxford History of Christianity has a very good section that covers this controversy.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 10:11 pm
Tyrius wrote:
Wouldnt that be polytheism?

This was a charge leveled by those who opposed the deification of Jesus and the acceptance of the Holy Spirit into a triune godhead at Nicaea. The reason you will most often find for the aceptance of the doctrine of the trinity being a species of monotheism is that the three personages are seperate facets of one greeater being. If you still are confused don't feel bad. This is something that is still giving theologians headaches in 2003. Cool
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 05:21 pm
*scratches head*

Oh my isnt religion confusing.
0 Replies