Ear Candling

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:46 am
Does anyone do this? Have you tried it? It's fabulous.
Very Happy

There are lots of sites claiming ricidulous things out there, like it will "suck the wax out" and it will do all these amazing things for you with immediate results.

I don't believe a word of it. You'd need super suction to suck the wax out and that would damage your ear.

But I do believe that ear candling is relaxing and can help your body do what it does naturally. The heat softens impacted ear wax, allowing your body to get it out. And the whole process is incredibally relaxing.

The smoke and heat also dry up moisture in the ear helping to get rid of ear aches.

I just ordered some more and hubby and I are going to have an ear candling night. Baby goes to bed, some nice music, low lights and the soft crackle of the ear candle. Ah.... Very Happy I can't wait.

Really, though, if you havn't tried it, you should. Even if it's only for the purpose of relaxation. But be careful. It is burning and you can't do it alone. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,773 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:10 am
I know many people who have done this with good results, but I also know of two people who have had problems. I don't know what goes wrong exactly, but in both cases they ended up in the hospital with severe cases of vertigo. I wouldn't say "don't", but I would say be careful.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:18 am
Really?

We've done it before without any problems.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:27 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Really?

We've done it before without any problems.

I don't know why some have had problems, I think overall it's considered safe and effective. My one girlfriend thinks a small piece of wax might have been knocked down deep into her ear canal and caused the trouble, but no medical conclusion was ever reached. She was bedridden for days and would vomit whenever she tried to stand up. Same with the other person. Both had used candles within 48 hours of their symptoms. I guess something can go wrong with anything. I don't think you should stop because of these examples, but it's good to know if something goes wrong.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:33 am
You'll set your hair on fire.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:41 am
Im trying to picture this entire process. Does it involve sticking candles in your ears?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:43 am
doesn't the smoke make your earwax all gunky and dirty?

Plus, the setting my head on fire is a concern to.

How is letting smoke get in your ears relaxing?

These are real questions I have.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:58 am
I've had that done once, out of curiousity. It was relaxing.......

Its been so long, I've kinda forgotten what it looks like....but its resembles a cone (I think) and you light the end of the cone and it burns downwards and draws the crud out of your ears.....Right?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:02 am
squinney and I used to do colon candling.... very relaxing, intimate... some low lighting... a glass of wine.... some Frankie Goes to Hollywood in the background... erotic as well as leaving one with a delightful clean and yet warm feeling....problem was as time went on we had to keep getting thicker and thicker candles....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:04 pm
Chai wrote:
doesn't the smoke make your earwax all gunky and dirty?

Plus, the setting my head on fire is a concern to.

How is letting smoke get in your ears relaxing?

These are real questions I have.

No, I don't think so.
You won't set your head on fire if you do it right.
It's the heat, not so much the smoke that's relaxing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:10 pm
While at it, you might also try this asian water skiing technique.

http://ixpats.com/bestoftheweb/wp-uploads/improvised-buffalo-ski.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:33 pm
I take it cjhsa that you have little or no faith in alternative medicine?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:43 pm
Ear candling is a joke. I do get acupuncture sometimes though. Sometimes it helps - usally as a last resort for pain relief.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:44 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ear candling is a joke. I do get acpuncture sometimes though.

Why do you think so?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:48 pm
quote from a small experiment....

Conclusions.

The ear candle, when burned, produced a brown waxy substance that looks like ear wax. However, since the wax appears whether or not the candle is placed in a human ear, we conclude that the source of the wax is the candle and not the ear.

It is possible that the candle produced wax but also extracted solid material from the ear the was mixed with the candle wax. However, since the candle remnant of the control candle and the one inserted into a human volunteer weighed exactly the same, we conclude that this did not happen.

The human subject reported no feeling of a vacuum which is purported to occur during the burning of the candle. The control candle produced smoke that poured from the bottom of the tapered end, suggesting that positive, not negative pressure was being produced.

The subject reported no subjective feelings invoked by the treatment, suggesting that the ear candle was innefective in a controlled environment.

http://altmed.creighton.edu/ear/experiment.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:48 pm
Because even my asian friends think it's a joke. Honestly, how could it be any better than a warm saline flush?

I'll buy into neti pots but not this.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:52 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Because even my asian friends think it's a joke. Honestly, how could it be any better than a warm saline flush?

I'll buy into neti pots but not this.

No one said it was.

I said it is relaxing and that it helps to dry up moisture in the ear (heat will do that) and soften the wax to help your ear remove it naturally (heat will do that too).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:53 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
quote from a small experiment....

Conclusions.

The ear candle, when burned, produced a brown waxy substance that looks like ear wax. However, since the wax appears whether or not the candle is placed in a human ear, we conclude that the source of the wax is the candle and not the ear.

It is possible that the candle produced wax but also extracted solid material from the ear the was mixed with the candle wax. However, since the candle remnant of the control candle and the one inserted into a human volunteer weighed exactly the same, we conclude that this did not happen.

The human subject reported no feeling of a vacuum which is purported to occur during the burning of the candle. The control candle produced smoke that poured from the bottom of the tapered end, suggesting that positive, not negative pressure was being produced.

The subject reported no subjective feelings invoked by the treatment, suggesting that the ear candle was innefective in a controlled environment.

http://altmed.creighton.edu/ear/experiment.htm

That's all fine but I never claimed that 1) the candle removed wax and 2) a vacuum was produced.

And reputable candle sellers will not tell you that the candles do this.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:56 pm
Here's one:

Ear Candling 2

And another:

Ear Candling
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 01:04 pm
As long as you are aware of the facts...burn away...it does sound relaxing.
0 Replies