3 year old will not eat!!!

mismi

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:42 pm
MMS - every time I look at that picture with your little boy it makes me smile - so sweet!

I know - kids - they crack me up - and as soon as I think I have one figured out - he changes on me... Razz
0 Replies

schwab123

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:42 pm
just saw the quote button.

hee hee
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:43 pm
I was raised with the midwestern diet (my mother was from Boston, but what she cooked was almost entirely midwestern). I'm now a madwoman re flavor, and nevermind me, ehBeth is a good food explorer, and many others here.

I don't really know how you get someone like me raised on, say, peas and potatoes and some meat on a lucky day, to the me I am now, interested in foods around the world. Maybe it was too many overcooked carrots.

More likely it was peer pressure together with someone taking me out to dinner, and myself reading about food in the newspaper.

Whatever, flavors matter, as the fat-sugar-salt thing is a kind of floating barge that takes over. I'm not saying no fat/salt/sugar, but start to explore flavor and shorten the barge.

My niece was exposed to a lot of foods early, and, it seems to me, ate them to live. I don't really know what to say about that, re exposure being useful. If I had been her, I might have starved...

Re cheese and potatoes... hmmm.

potatoes, maybe it's the texture?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:43 pm
schwab123 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you GW for you reassuring words and to those of you who are trying to help. My previous comment was directed at Chai and if I knew how to quote in the white box like some of you have been doing I would put his/her quote along with my comment.

Today my daughter battled with me over breakfast and would not eat or drink her milk before school. I know it's fine to sent her to school like that but I know how frustrating it is for me when she is being a brat so I don't want her to act like that with her teacher and friends because she would be miserable the whole day.

She had perdue chicken nuggets and white grape juice for lunch and half of grilled cheese for dinner then snacked on popcorn later.

I know what I should do. It all sounds so simple and obvious as to what I should do. It is annoying also because I am controlling over how I want things to go and I feel as if I don't have any control over this. When I wanted to get rid of the pacifier I got rid of it no problems. Same with big girl bed and other changes. Potty training was hard but I was determined and she was potty trained in a month.

I see other kids at weddings and other grownup situations and they are eating the vegetables, meat, soup, etc.

Ugh!

I double that UGH! LOL

Mom...ya just gotta chill a little bit over this. She's 3, and from the sound of it...she's going to be just fine. She's eating, just picky...as she gets older, you'd be surprised at what she'll pick up to eat. So quit frustrating so badly over it.....

Besides...Have you thought about putting some flavoring in her milk? Strawberry, chocolate or banana?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:45 pm
Mismi wrote:
Quote:
MMS - every time I look at that picture with your little boy it makes me smile - so sweet!

I know - kids - they crack me up - and as soon as I think I have one figured out - he changes on me...

Off topic, I know.....lol

He's a camera hog. We are actually sopposed to be deer hunting, but its become a yearly tradition for him and I to take our picture like that clowning around....lol
0 Replies

schwab123

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:46 pm
the other weird thing my daughter does is she will not eat things that are usually a go to for kids. i found myself telling her in a restaurant "eat your ice cream and then we can go". no mac and cheese, no sweet candy but likes some chocolate. she was helping me bake and she put her finger in the sugar to taste it and she stuck her tongue out and said yuk.
oh, she loves pepperoni and bacon. we have no idea where the pepperoni thing came from.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:54 pm
I think these are good signs, Schwab...

Memories of myself..

I was grossed out by anything that wiggled or shook.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:55 pm
Nahhh, schwab. It doesn't really sound simple. Nothing about toddlers sounds simple.

I think sometimes when toddlers are being toddlers, it's hard to remember that part of what they're doing is growing up - and part of that is reacting against parents.

Some of the food stuff does have to do with the much more sensitive tastebuds small children have (or is it more taste buds, I have to look that up).

Some of it is branding (I'm going to link a kind of scary ScienceDaily article here link ... click)

ahh - taste buds

sensitive taste buds ... click

more taste buds ... click

Some of it is toddler power

Picky eaters ... click
0 Replies

schwab123

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:01 pm
thanks for the links ehbeth. the tongue one is gross, lol, but the picky eaters is interesting. my dr. suggested the book "Food Fights" but they didn't have it at barnes & noble and i never got around to ordering it. maybe i should just chill.
0 Replies

mismi

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:16 pm
okay - branding - that is interesting. How do you keep that from happening? I know my kids, even when they were babies and we were walking through the grocery store would see the Gold Fish box and go nuts...how can you prevent things like that? And is it really a problem for anything other than McDonalds? I can't seem to wrap my head around how far reaching the branding could be.

Maybe that is the answer to the problem...go buy some McDonald's wrappers and boxes and serve spinach and eggplant lasagna from that. I am so kidding...
0 Replies

schwab123

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:22 pm
mismi40 wrote:

Maybe that is the answer to the problem...go buy some McDonald's wrappers and boxes and serve spinach and eggplant lasagna from that. I am so kidding...

my mom tried that with the wrappers. no such luck. these kids are hard to fool sometimes.
0 Replies

Chai

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:33 am
schwab

there's nothing I said that hadn't already been said by someone else....including the let her be a bitch part.

you just didn't like the way I said it.

That's your issue, not mine.

Your daughters the one with the control issue....she pulls your strings like a puppet master.

You don't want to listen to her whine for a day or 2, at the most 3, until she gets hungry enough to eat what you give her, so you chose to prolong the problem by reinforcing her bahavior.

No, I don't have children. Other adults can be just as annoying and whiney as a 3 year old.

You, for instance, know the solution, but don't like the fact you'd have to suck it up and listen to her whine.....so, instead you pull the "You're not a parent" crap, and effusively thank those who are "trying to help" i.e., those who coddle you with platitudes about what a difficult time your having.

Simple....you are the adult, she's the 3 year old. She will eat when she gets hungry. She won't die or get sick. She goes to school whiney for a day or two.

You know that's what it boils down to.

So spare me the "you're so mean" tactic.

later.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:03 am
Schwab--

Welcome to A2K.

I suspect that you and Chai have very similar personalities. You found each other's jugular veins very quickly. Count me in the Control Freak contingent.

Quote:
I don't want her to act like that with her teacher and friends because she would be miserable the whole day.

So your daughter is miserable for the whole day--or even two days straight? So? I suspect you feel that she would also be making you look like a Bad Mother. So?

Does your daughter get plenty of attention at non-mealtimes? Is the food issue becoming the main way the two of you relate to each other?

She's not going to want to give up her prime time with mommie unless other activities with mommie take the place of battles over her diet.
0 Replies

Chai

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:22 am
You know, I seriously thought about this after posting.....

Does you 3 year old go to "school" 7 days a week?

Plan this for over the weekend, when you're the only one that has to deal with it, if you're so concerned what the teacher would think.

2nd...and this is NOT a joke, because I use these myself....get a pair of these....

http://static.zoovy.com/img/gunnersalley/W150-H150-Bcccccc/d1clayplus_sml.jpg

Don't worry, you'll still be able to hear her when you're wearing them. If she gets into real trouble, you'll know it.

Also, it's obvious you can shift one of the earpieces a half an inch so it looks like it's covering your ear, but you can hear everything....so you're not neglecting or abusing her.

However, before you put them on, tell her "I can hear you when I'm wearing these, so you can cry all you want."

That'll probably piss her off for a while, and she might scream even more.

Good....she'll tire out that much faster, and you won't get a migraine.

More importantly, she'll get the message loud and clear she's not being listened to. She doesn't have to know you can still hear her.

However, you can wear them full on and will simply hear a muffled crying/whining. You'll know it if she's trying to tell you something important...hopefully "I wanna eat"

I wear these when I'm trying to read and the TV on. I can still hear the TV but it cuts it down so it's not distracting. When someone calls my name, I can hear them, and move one side to hear and talk.

If you have a husband....get a pair for him too.
0 Replies

mismi

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:54 am
I just got a pair of those for Christmas Chai - wonderful, wonderful things!
0 Replies

Bohne

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:55 am
[quote="schwab123"]Do you have children? Do you have a toddler/preschooler? If so, you must drug them or lock them in a closet to not act like my daughter and many many other children her age.

If not, then I don't need your criticism . I'm just asking for advice from other parents who might be or have been in the same situation.

I am new to this website and if this is how it works then now I know and I will move on.

Thank you to those of you who did not judge.[/quote]

You asked a question, and you got many answers.
I don't know why you are getting all upset about it.

Luckily I do not have this problem.
My 18 month old will eat anything you put in front of him, but even so, he might stuff himself with sweetcorn and spit it out next time in favour of the pasta.

I don't think the answers were meant to judge you, simple facts were stated!
I think you have been given good advice here.
Why don't you try it?
0 Replies

schwab123

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 10:32 am
Chai wrote:
schwab

there's nothing I said that hadn't already been said by someone else....including the let her be a bitch part.

you just didn't like the way I said it.

That's your issue, not mine.

Your daughters the one with the control issue....she pulls your strings like a puppet master.

You don't want to listen to her whine for a day or 2, at the most 3, until she gets hungry enough to eat what you give her, so you chose to prolong the problem by reinforcing her bahavior.

No, I don't have children. Other adults can be just as annoying and whiney as a 3 year old.

You, for instance, know the solution, but don't like the fact you'd have to suck it up and listen to her whine.....so, instead you pull the "You're not a parent" crap, and effusively thank those who are "trying to help" i.e., those who coddle you with platitudes about what a difficult time your having.

Simple....you are the adult, she's the 3 year old. She will eat when she gets hungry. She won't die or get sick. She goes to school whiney for a day or two.

You know that's what it boils down to.

So spare me the "you're so mean" tactic.

later.

are you still here? why? do you jump around to different forums to preach your high and mighty self-righteous bull **** on subjects you know nothing about?

this is a parenting & childcare forum.

it is so easy for people like you who do not have children to say things like "just tell her no" and "what's your problem, you're the adult". until you deal with any age child for any long period of time, then you can spread your "advice". but until then this is the last response/reaction you will get from me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:27 pm
One of my stepsons was a 10-year-old picky eater and his highly selective habits had become part of his personality.

He didn't like the "had to taste it" house rule.

I sat him down and explained that at his he could expect to enter a growth spurt and his body would do better with a balanced diet.

I also explained that I was not an enabler.

Lots of new vocabulary words here, but his father backed me up and the house rules prevailed.
0 Replies

mismi

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:28 pm
YES NODDY! ABSOLUTELY!
0 Replies

schwab123

Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:35 pm
you are all right. just now she had chicken nuggets but only ate one. she saw my sandwich and said she didn't want chicken she wanted a pb&j. even though the later would be better for her i am going to stop switching her meals just because she says so. this weekend i am starting the whole this is what is for dinner take it or leave it approach. cross your fingers.
0 Replies