Mom wants to sell Mary Kay.

Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:47 pm
My Mom is retired and wants to sell Mary Kay. Has anybody heard anything good or bad about this venture.

She wants to build her social security credits.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 9,162 • Replies: 119
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:05 pm
I flirted with doing Mary Kay (oh dear) for a very brief time, but it definitely wasn't a good fit for me. But it is a good, straight-forward company & business plan if she has the right personality for selling stuff, though.

It's supposed to be the best return you can make on any kind of thing like that -- you pay half price and what you sell it for is your profit, simple as that. So there's no weird percentage things to deal with or anything like that, like Shaklee or Avon or what-have-you has... that part is good. And the products really are good.

Is she outgoing and does she have a pretty big circle of acquaintance to draw on?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:06 pm
I think it would be good for her, it will allow her to get out and about, associate with new people and put her skills to a good use.

A long long time ago, I used to go with a lady I was aquaintances with to be her model. She sold Mary Kay, and that lady had it going on.

She had moved up through the ranks by sales, and acquired a burgandy vehicle (don't remember the make/model) from the company for free. You work hard enough and you get to the pink cadillac.....

That was probably 15 years ago........and I think it would be great....
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:08 pm
CypherCat wrote;
Quote:
it is a good, straight-forward company & business plan if she has the right personality

Like CypherCat said, it is a good straight-forward company. They don't scam people.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:08 pm
There is the whole selling to friends and acquaintance thing. Personally, I don't want to mix those. But.... selling to acquaintances probably does make part of the world go round.
Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:11 pm
I left for a minute. I didn't think I would get a response. Let me read everything. Very Happy
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:14 pm
cyphercat wrote:
I flirted with doing Mary Kay (oh dear) for a very brief time, but it definitely wasn't a good fit for me. But it is a good, straight-forward company & business plan if she has the right personality for selling stuff, though.

It's supposed to be the best return you can make on any kind of thing like that -- you pay half price and what you sell it for is your profit, simple as that. So there's no weird percentage things to deal with or anything like that, like Shaklee or Avon or what-have-you has... that part is good. And the products really are good.

Is she outgoing and does she have a pretty big circle of acquaintance to draw on?
That sounds pretty good. Shes not outgoing but she is so nice she would make you want to buy something. Thanks for the info thats exactley what I was looking for. Very Happy
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:17 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:
I think it would be good for her, it will allow her to get out and about, associate with new people and put her skills to a good use.

A long long time ago, I used to go with a lady I was aquaintances with to be her model. She sold Mary Kay, and that lady had it going on.

She had moved up through the ranks by sales, and acquired a burgandy vehicle (don't remember the make/model) from the company for free. You work hard enough and you get to the pink cadillac.....

That was probably 15 years ago........and I think it would be great....
It sounds like exactly what she needs. She is going nuts at the house and her husband is a total moody couch potato. She missed her calling in life and this sounds like it is close to what she was born to do. Thanks for the info MM shiver. Very Happy
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:22 pm
ossobuco wrote:
There is the whole selling to friends and acquaintance thing. Personally, I don't want to mix those. But.... selling to acquaintances probably does make part of the world go round.
She just got reacquainted with some very close freinds and.................THERE RICH!!!!

But my mom is not pushy so they will just have fun with it. They almost try to give money to my mom wich she doesn't take. So this will be a reson for the ladies to get together.

Nice to see you Ossobuco. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:25 pm
I've had a couple of friends who sold Mary Kay over the years. None of them were serious enough about it to make full-time careers from it, but they enjoyed it and did earn decent extra money.

I liked it when they were selling, as I thought the products were quite good.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:29 pm
Well, you do have to be at least somewhat outgoing, because you just gotta strike up conversations out of the blue. You can't really get by with just selling to people you know; as osso pointed out, no one wants a friend bugging them about buying stuff! besides, you'd run out of friends one way or the other Laughing

If she isn't at all outgoing, it could be hard for her. It was for me. I could force myself to approach people about it, and got results when I did, but it was too exhausting for me to keep it up.

But getting started and just seeing if it works for her isn't too expensive. You get the starter kit for $100 plus shipping (and I think tax too). You don't have to order inventory to start with if you don't want to, you can get by with just what's in the starter kit for your first appointments with people. There are also really good deals on samples on ebay -- you're not supposed to buy stuff from there, so she'd have to not tell her recruiter person about it if she did, but it's a much, much cheaper way to get samples, and that's a big help. Way easier to make the stuff look good if you can let people try as much as possible...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:35 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I've had a couple of friends who sold Mary Kay over the years. None of them were serious enough about it to make full-time careers from it, but they enjoyed it and did earn decent extra money.

I liked it when they were selling, as I thought the products were quite good.
Great! Thanks for the info comrade (wildclickers :wink: )
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:37 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Well, you do have to be at least somewhat outgoing, because you just gotta strike up conversations out of the blue. You can't really get by with just selling to people you know; as osso pointed out, no one wants a friend bugging them about buying stuff! besides, you'd run out of friends one way or the other Laughing

If she isn't at all outgoing, it could be hard for her. It was for me. I could force myself to approach people about it, and got results when I did, but it was too exhausting for me to keep it up.

But getting started and just seeing if it works for her isn't too expensive. You get the starter kit for $100 plus shipping (and I think tax too). You don't have to order inventory to start with if you don't want to, you can get by with just what's in the starter kit for your first appointments with people. There are also really good deals on samples on ebay -- you're not supposed to buy stuff from there, so she'd have to not tell her recruiter person about it if she did, but it's a much, much cheaper way to get samples, and that's a big help. Way easier to make the stuff look good if you can let people try as much as possible...
Alright some insider info!!!! Yes!!

Your good kid....your good. Cool
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:39 pm
I very much resented it when someone tried to get me to buy any of that stuff, be it mary kay or any other deal like that.

but, that's me.

if I want something, I'll go out buy it.

a mary kay party is not my idea of how to spend an evening.

then again, I don't think I know your mother amigo, so good luck to her.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:39 pm
Laughing I gots all the hot scoop on Mary Kay!! (not really)
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:46 pm
Chai wrote:
I very much resented it when someone tried to get me to buy any of that stuff, be it mary kay or any other deal like that.

Yeah, and it was tiring trying to figure out who feels like that and who doesn't! Bottom line for me was, I realized that I'm more that kind of person than like the people who honestly think it's fun to go to that kind of thing. --so therefore, if I was meeting with people who really liked it and didn't mind being asked about it, I was making connections with people not at all like me! Laughing Not worth it to me for making some extra money, even though you really can do quite well with it, and be working for yourself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:55 pm
I'm thinking it might be a good start for Amigo's mom, good for her, and that she can gain confidence to branch in another direction, even if she doesn't like it overall.

On the selling to friends and acquaintances - I almost typed fiends - I've sold stuff in three ways: my own art, my gallerys' art (I've had two, both times with partners), and my landscape designs. Business-like is best in all cases. In land arch, I sometimes, probably mostly, referred people to others, depending on the people. On the other hand, I had some nifty design jobs from associates who were friends, and they worked out, professionally done all the way. There's an element of 'what if', though, in those.

I'd be interested to see what GWitch would say on all this.

To Amigo, always really glad to see you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:00 pm
To elaborate on that a smidge, close friends don't always understand professional standards... never mind re ethics, re simple design. There is a push pull that can, uh, alienate. Never mind getting into money...

I never had horrible problems, probably from some level of discernment re taking design clients, but I had friends who found themselves in morasses.
Morrasses? More asses?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:08 pm
Chai wrote:

but, that's me.

if I want something, I'll go out buy it.

a mary kay party is not my idea of how to spend an evening.

then again, I don't think I know your mother amigo, so good luck to her.
Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:08 pm
I went to my last tupperware party in the sixties, and that was family.

Gee, they still have cabinets full of it.

As it happens, my pleasant self decomposes in those situations and I left the tupperware houses in mood most foul, so I stopped.
0 Replies