Some Hell/Death/Sin questions

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:26 am
Quote:
Wait a minute... you're trying to point out contradictions in the BofM, but you're completely unwilling to point out the fact that the bible has way more contradictions than the the book of mormon.

there are no contradictions in the bible.
Quote:
Not to mention the CARM website you list is a highly biased webiste designed to protect the christian debate with ammunition derived from twisted and deviant interpretations of the bible.

proof?
Quote:
As a christian, you are told to run from egoistic things like this site, but since it supports your mission, you choose to embrace it. Good luck reconciling that with saint peter.

I would like the verse you are quoting and please show me how standing against something that contradicts the bible is egotistical?
Quote:
If you read the 4 Gospels (ref to Christ's birth) yup it reads exactly like you would expect 4 accounts from different people written 20-30 years after the fact. The fact that they vary and are imperfect doesn't mean they should be ignored.
Whoa... not only was it just stated that they are imperfect, different, and written decades after the fact, we should trust them as GOSPEL??? You have just equated the foundation of christianity to nothing more than a recollection of a frat-house legend.
that wasn't my quote i was responding to it. I don't believe the gospels are imperfect or biased.
Quote:
So which one is for me? Am I supposed to read each one and extrapolate what I need to know based on ancient social structures and antiquated moral inconsitency? What you have just admitted is that the christian bible inconsistently "plays" to different audiences in an attempt to sway influence. You have just reduced the difference between Mark and Luke to the same comparison of "Romeo and Juliet" to "West Side Story." Which one is the TRUE story?
its extremely hard to debate with one who wont actually read what i wrote nor take the time to study the scriptures to debate with. Go back, do that, and then come and tell me the gospels contradict.
Quote:
Prove that they're god-breathed. If you can't, then what weight can your argument hold? If a perfect god "breathed" these texts, why would god wish for the confusion of such completely contrasting stories?
They claim that title. 2tim 3:16.....and like i said there are no contrasts, no contradictions in the telling of Christs life. Matthew never states that ONLY one woman came to the tomb(that would make john a contradiction)
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 01:55 pm
Even if there were numerical contradictions in the Gospels - they are written from memory (not as the events occurred), so numerical inconsistency is not an issue.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 05:51 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:

there are no contradictions in the bible.

And denial shall end the debate...
Quote:
that wasn't my quote i was responding to it. I don't believe the gospels are imperfect or biased.

I didn't quote you. I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to who wrote it.
Quote:
They claim that title. 2tim 3:16.....and like i said there are no contrasts, no contradictions in the telling of Christs life. Matthew never states that ONLY one woman came to the tomb(that would make john a contradiction)

So, if my friend writes a note and signs my name and the world believes I wrote it, then its true? Just because the book says it was god breathed doesn't mean it is.

A few contradictions from the bible to get you started....

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.
- which one is he... or are there two?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli
- which one was Joseph's father?

GEN 1:25-26 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
GEN 2:18-19 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof
- so did beasts or man come first?

KI1 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.
CH2 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem
- four thousand or forty thousand?

PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
1 Cor.1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."
- god tells us to get wisdom so he can cut us down for it?

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.
DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
- so do we kill our kids when our father sins, or should we listen to Deuteronomy and not?

Not to mention how Leviticus and Deuteronomy mention how insects have four feet, rabbits chew their cud, and bats are birds. Genesis talks about how god created snakes to eateth dust all the days of their lives. Gen1 has a completely different order of creation than Gen2.

There are as many as 1750 literary contradictions in the bible (depending on the level of contradiction and the version of the bible) Some are blatantly contradictory and can't be ignored, like the order of creation in Genesis. Others could be debated like this one:

Num.12:3: "Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the fact of the earth."
Num.31:14, 17, 18: "And Moses was wroth...And Moses said unto them, "Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman, ... But all the women children ... keep alive for yourselves."

Moses could be meek in chapter 12, then just got ticked off in chapter 31, but I can't imagine that the meekest man on earth suddenly rose up and tell everyone to commit mass murder?

Ps.92:12: "The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree."
Isa.57:1: "The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart."
- so should we be righteous or not?

Matt.27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."
Luke23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."
John19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."
- I would think that Jesus' last words would be pretty important, yet three of the gospels have entirely different literary accounts.

II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Isreal and Judah.
I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Isreal, and provoked David to number Israel
- could they not tell the difference between god and satan? That's another pretty important one.

Exod. 24:9,10; Amos 9:1; Gen. 26:2; and John 14:9
We CAN see god:
"And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my backparts." (Ex. 33:23)
"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (Ex. 33:11)
"For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (Gen. 32:30)
We CAN'T see god
"No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18)
"And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (Ex. 33:20)
"Whom no man hath seen nor can see." (1 Tim. 6:16)
- can he be seen or not?

The vengeful god:
"I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy." (Jer. 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."
The merciful god:
"The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy." (James 5:11)
"For his mercy endureth forever." (1 Chron. 16:34)
"The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works." (Ps. 145:9)
"God is love." (1 John 4:16)
- which one is it?

"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." (Gen 22:1)
"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." (James 1:13)
- Right now I'm tempted to get some chinese food for lunch.

The list continues ad regurgitatum.

Kate4Christ, if you still want to wear those blinders, that's fine, but even Christian websites like this one http://www.apologeticsindex.org/b08.html fully admit that they exist and give you step by step instructions on how to use them as a sales tactic to convert people to christianity.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 05:53 pm
vikorr wrote:
Even if there were numerical contradictions in the Gospels - they are written from memory (not as the events occurred), so numerical inconsistency is not an issue.

First of all, that opens a huge can of worms. If one assumes that this is true, then they have admitted that there ARE contradictions and the whole thing is just someone's memory of how they recall the actual events. And as I pointed out in my last post... there are a lot more than just numerical inconsistencies.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 06:11 pm
Hello Curtis,

I'm not christian, and the bible contains inconsistencies.

And my quote is correct regarding numerical inconsistencies in the Gospel.

Nice quotes by the way (even though a number of them appear out of context) - a number that I never knew about. Are they from a website? or your own knowledge?

Of course there are a number of people who believe that God penned the bible themselves (ie they believe it's perfect), but not even the bible makes that claim...even if people treat it as such.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 06:50 pm
vikorr wrote:

Of course there are a number of people who believe that God penned the bible themselves (ie they believe it's perfect), but not even the bible makes that claim...even if people treat it as such.

I'm curious if the underlined portion in your statement is true or not. I'm not accusing you of lying, but I've heard otherwise.

If not.....then WOW! The Hypothesisis of Christianity is on even shakier ground than I thought.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:10 pm
maporsche he is wrong, and i gave the scripture that claims that scripture is God breathed and God inspired. 2tim 3:16

and curtis i challenge you to actually go study some of those alleged inconsistencies. You just cut and pasted those from an elementary anti bible website. I dont have the time to answer all of those "apparent contradictions" but if you want to pick out a few we can discuss them.

here i will start:
Quote:
We CAN see god:
"And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my backparts." (Ex. 33:23)
"And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (Ex. 33:11)
"For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (Gen. 32:30)
We CAN'T see god
"No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18)
"And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (Ex. 33:20)
"Whom no man hath seen nor can see." (1 Tim. 6:16)
- can he be seen or not?

ok there are no contradictions. This is just the fault of those like you who don't know the bible but assume that they know more about it than christians.NOone has seen the face of God (THE FATHER) but God the son was seen. Theologists call this a Christophony. Christ's appearance in the old testament. NOw before you think im making this all up why not go read john 9:56-58 where Christ tells the pharisees he was THE IAM that abraham saw.
Quote:
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli
- which one was Joseph's father?
this is an easy one. One is the lineage through mary. And one is the lineage through joseph. Both are given to show there is no doubt that Jesus came from the tribe of Judah. And since women werent commonly mentioned in jewish lineages joseph is mentioned as Heli's son(and he was because he became heli's son when he married his daughter Mary)
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:41 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
maporsche, he is wrong, and i gave the scripture that claims that scripture is God breathed and God inspired. 2tim 3:16

2 Timothy 3:16

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:44 pm
You have excellent knowledge of the bible, Kate. However, you are knocking your head against a wall if you expect those who do the cut and pasting without regard to actual facts to accept anything you say. After all, it might take some tarnish off their fun.

Whether it was 4000 or 40,000 has no relevance and is just something for naysayers to use to say that the bible is contradictory.

Too bad that the doctrine of the bible is ignored by those who try to put today's literal meaning to everything in the bible. What other works do you see this happening in?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:50 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Too bad that the doctrine of the bible is ignored by those who try to put today's literal meaning to everything in the bible. What other works do you see this happening in?

The 2nd amendment is one example isn't it Intrepid?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:50 pm
maporsche wrote:
kate4christ03 wrote:
maporsche, he is wrong, and i gave the scripture that claims that scripture is God breathed and God inspired. 2tim 3:16

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

Another case of one verse being used to make an argument when several verses in the chapter make things much clearer.

Something like taking one line out of the rules of hockey or baseball to explain a complex situation.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:52 pm
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:
kate4christ03 wrote:

Another case of one verse being used to make an argument when several verses in the chapter make things much clearer.

Something like taking one line out of the rules of hockey or baseball to explain a complex situation.

I have no knowledge of this part of the bible, so if you have some other verses I should look at please let me know. I only posted this becauase Kate pointed me here.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 09:06 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
and curtis i challenge you to actually go study some of those alleged inconsistencies. You just cut and pasted those from an elementary anti bible website. I dont have the time to answer all of those "apparent contradictions" but if you want to pick out a few we can discuss them.

I DID challenge them, which is why I'm no longer a christian. And of course I copied and pasted them from a website. I've done all the research myself (and was a contributing writer for several publications as well as an ordained minister) but I'm not going to sit down for three days and re-find all of those references for a forum discussion.

Quote:
ok there are no contradictions. This is just the fault of those like you who don't know the bible but assume that they know more about it than christians. Theologists call this a Christophony. Christ's appearance in the old testament. NOw before you think im making this all up why not go read john 9:56-58 where Christ tells the pharisees he was THE IAM that abraham saw.

I was a christian for 30 years. I AM a theologist. I HAVE read John. I've published multiple articles on this topic. So now you're blaming ME for something that people like you deny? Not very christian of you.

Quote:
this is an easy one. One is the lineage through mary. And one is the lineage through joseph. Both are given to show there is no doubt that Jesus came from the tribe of Judah. And since women werent commonly mentioned in jewish lineages joseph is mentioned as Heli's son(and he was because he became heli's son when he married his daughter Mary)
You have blatantly misread and misinterpreted this. It clearly states two different fathers of Joseph. We're not talking about Mary's lineage at all.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 09:20 pm
vikorr wrote:
Hello Curtis,

I'm not christian, and the bible contains inconsistencies.

And my quote is correct regarding numerical inconsistencies in the Gospel.

Nice quotes by the way (even though a number of them appear out of context) - a number that I never knew about. Are they from a website? or your own knowledge?

Both. I've published several articles on biblical contradictions. Some of my sources for this thread just came from a quick web search, others from memory:
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/inconsistencies.html
http://www.evilbible.com/Biblical%20Contradictions.htm
http://dim.com/~randl/tcont.htm
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

I don't purport any content of these sites to be in support of my beliefs, I just googled and they came up. Its important to note that I did check all of the references to make sure they were verbatim and not "tweaked" to support atheism or anything. The references are just straight up contradictory statements directly from the "holy" scripture.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 09:45 pm
curtis no offense but where did you get your degree?
IF you knew as much as you claim to, then you would have easily shot down some of those 'alleged contradictions' you gave (As I did)
If you are a theologist as you claim you would be familiar with the term Christophony and would have easily seen how those verses (you gave)show Christ in the OT and are in no way a contradiction.
Quote:
You have blatantly misread and misinterpreted this. It clearly states two different fathers of Joseph. We're not talking about Mary's lineage at all.

Study and you will see that women weren't usually listed in jewish lineages. ANd these two different names for josephs fathers are in fact his father and father in law. But if you are truly the theologist you claim to be, you would have known all this to begin with.
AND i might add, if you truly are a theologist you would know that in the bible there is no such thing as "I use to be a christian" Remember in 1 john , he makes it clear that those that leave the faith were never christians to begin with.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:01 pm
I would be interested to know more about Curtis' ordination. Was this a legitimate ordianation, or a web/mailorder deal? If Curtis is a published writer, why did he have to google his information that he posted here? Why didn't he quote from, or name his publications? Why does he seem to know so little about scripture? So many questions.....so little time.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:13 pm
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 01:00 am
Intrepid wrote:
If Curtis is a published writer, why did he have to google his information that he posted here? Why didn't he quote from, or name his publications?

For one, because that would be against the rules.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 05:43 am
maporsche wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Your constitution does not affect the rest of us in the world... the bible does.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:40 am
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Your constitution does not affect the rest of us in the world... the bible does.

What does that matter?
0 Replies