Some Hell/Death/Sin questions

Intrepid

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 06:00 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
Thanks.

Probably because I thought I had made myself clear and some chose to look beyond that and try to make it much more black and white. Since scripture does not say specifically that God sent the bears.... I leave it open because I am not the authority to determine whether God was directly involved or not.

Ah I see - just as an observation then - that wasn't clear because what you said was 'your view doesn't matter, and neither does mine. The bible doesn't state such" (or something very close - that's not a direct quote).

I do think it's an unusual thing to hold to (not forming a view on the subject that is), but that is just my perspective.

As for trying to make things black & white - the bible certainly doesn't allow for that on a lot of topics. The nature of God (as described in the bible) is certainly debatable.

What I meant by my view doesn't matter ....etc. was that since it is not clear, speculation on my part would be of no benefit to the conversation. Just as speculation by anyone would not. Since the bible does not state, it would only be a guess. 50/50 so to speak. Smile

You are certainly correct about not being black and white on a number of topics. On the other hand, it IS black and white on many, many topics.

Forum discussions on A2K and elsewhere would certainly attest to your last statement. :wink:
0 Replies

Uffda

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
Farewell
Farewell all,

I must return to the salt mines... I was killing time between projects but now I need to go back to work. I suggest you turn off your computers go outside and see what God has made.

Hey, if you ever figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin and/or if Adam had a belly button be sure and let me know.

Take care of yourselves...
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 08:43 pm
maporsche wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Too bad that the doctrine of the bible is ignored by those who try to put today's literal meaning to everything in the bible. What other works do you see this happening in?

The 2nd amendment is one example isn't it Intrepid?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:06 pm
Don't ask me. I am not American and am not really concerned with your amendments. Particularly where they pertain to everybody carrying guns.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:31 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Don't ask me. I am not American and am not really concerned with your amendments. Particularly where they pertain to everybody carrying guns.

You were pretty concerned here.

Intrepid in 2005 wrote:
1. Does the historical evidence support the conclusion that the Second Amendment guarantees the right of individuals to possess firearms?
2. If the Second Amendment does create an individual right, how broad is the right? Does it include the right to possess arms that would be useful to a militia today--hand grenades, rocket launchers, etc.? Or does it create only a right to possess arms that would have been used by a militia in 1791--muskets? Or is the right answer somewhere between these extremes?
3. The Second Amendment speaks of the right to bear arms. Does this suggest, for example, that there is no right to possess weapons that could not be carried, such as cannons?
4. If the underlying concern that inspired the Second Amendment--fear of an abusive federal government oppressing states and their citizens--no longer exists, should that affect how we interpret the Amendment?
5. What is the argument for choosing what provisions of the Bill of Rights we will give full effect?
6. If the test for whether a provision of the Bill of Rights is incorporated into the 14th Amendment is whether the right in question is "fundamental to the American scheme of justice" what conclusion should we come to with respect to the right to keep and bear arms?
7. Which of the following regulations of firearms is constitutional?: (1) an age restriction, (2) a four-day waiting period for purchase of a firearm, (3) a ban on the carrying of concealed weapons.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:22 pm
Anything Intrepid?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 08:10 am
maporsche wrote:
Anything Intrepid?

1 - Not pertinent to the thread

2 - What does a 3 year old post have to do with today?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 09:43 am
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Anything Intrepid?

1 - Not pertinent to the thread

Well, I started the thread, so we don't need to worry about offending anybody.

Quote:

2 - What does a 3 year old post have to do with today?

You claimed that you didn't care about our amendments, but apparently you do. If you're worried about the corner you've painted yourself into just say so.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 10:59 am
I was just supplying some information then. I am not really concerned about your amendments now and neither was I then. I didn't realize that someone had to be passionate about something to post about it.

I might add that it is better to be backed into a corner than go around in circles as is your forte.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 11:27 am
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
BTW, the bible does not TELL me to do anything. Perhaps you should ponder that and look outside the little box than you have fashioned.

No, it says that if you don't do these things you'll burn in hell for all eternity.

That's not TELLing you to do anything right?

It would probably be best to end this discussion now since you prefer to argue every point and you do not have any legitimate understanding of the bible. Or even try to understand the context in what people try to explain to you.

I spent 13 years reading the bible and traveling to South America on mission trips and converting people to Christianity. I think my understanding is quite legitimate......your understanding I question.
Surely you jest. You read the bible and studied it; and you never figured out that the soul is not immortal - and that there is no such thing as a burning hell?

Or did you just read what someone else wrote about the bible?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 11:40 am
neologist wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
BTW, the bible does not TELL me to do anything. Perhaps you should ponder that and look outside the little box than you have fashioned.

No, it says that if you don't do these things you'll burn in hell for all eternity.

That's not TELLing you to do anything right?

It would probably be best to end this discussion now since you prefer to argue every point and you do not have any legitimate understanding of the bible. Or even try to understand the context in what people try to explain to you.

I spent 13 years reading the bible and traveling to South America on mission trips and converting people to Christianity. I think my understanding is quite legitimate......your understanding I question.
Surely you jest. You read the bible and studied it; and you never figured out that the soul is not immortal - and that there is no such thing as a burning hell?

Or did you just read what someone else wrote about the bible?

No, I read the bible.

You in the minority on that view neo (not that that makes you wrong)....the vast majority of Christians hold the same interpretation of what it says that I do.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 11:46 am
Intrepid wrote:
I was just supplying some information then. I am not really concerned about your amendments now and neither was I then. I didn't realize that someone had to be passionate about something to post about it.

I was asking you if you thought that people today were putting today's literal meaning of words into the 2nd amendment just as you said people are doing to the bible. You asked for other instances where this was happening. I gave you one.

THEN, you said that you didn't want to talk about it....even AFTER YOU asked for some more examples.

I'm not asking you to be concerned about our amendments, I'm just curious if you think that people arguing against the 2nd Amendment are doing what you see people doing to the bible.

Simple yes or no question.

Quote:

I might add that it is better to be backed into a corner than go around in circles as is your forte.

When someone ignores a question that you ask, and you'd still like an answer, what options are there except to go back to that question.
0 Replies