margo

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 12:47 am
I use Chrome at home, and FF at work.

My only problem so far with Chrome is I can't get the Google toolbar (or search box, or thingy) to show.

This may be because I'm not the least techy minded, though!
msolga

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 12:51 am
@margo,
Well I hope one of our more techy folk here can explain it to you, margo.
If you can't do it I doubt I could either, so now we'd both like to know.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:01 am
@margo,
Margo: the address bar in chrome is your search box thingy.
Quote:
Most of these (Google toolbar) features already exist in chrome already for example the address bar or omni-box acts nearly exactly the same as google toolbar, it is a search bar as well as an address bar. To see more of its features read this article. Also spell check is built into chrome itself.

go ahead, type anything into the address bar and press enter
margo

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:27 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

go ahead, type anything into the address bar and press enter

****, eh! He's right, you know. Well, I never.....!!
dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:28 pm
@margo,
you never ...what?
You takin the piss?
margo

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:42 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

you never ...what?
You takin the piss?

Who? Little ole me? Never!

Thanks BTW - it's working a treat! Cool
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:01 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

I use Chrome at home, and FF at work.

My only problem so far with Chrome is I can't get the Google toolbar (or search box, or thingy) to show.

This may be because I'm not the least techy minded, though!

You really don't need a Google toolbar for Chrome. Use the url address bar as the search box. It's exactly the same (other then it's far longer then the Google search box from the toolbar).

I'm so used to it as a search bar that when I'm at work I keep forgetting that IE's address bar doesn't do the same thing.
dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:03 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Use the url address bar as the search box.

wow, thanks Tart, I'll have to remember that.
http://able2know.org/topic/109729-6#post-4559294
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:04 am
@dadpad,
My biggest complaint against Chrome is Chrome's spell check is far weaker then Firefox or IE. I sometimes have to just copy and paste a misspelled word and Google the misspelled word when Chrome's spell check refuses to offer a correct spelling.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 12:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
thanks, tsar - dadpad had already pointed that out...and I've been using it!

Hey - like the rabbit avatar!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:56 pm
Oh dammit, a fresh problem! Neutral

My spellchecker has stopped working.
There may or may not be a connection, but this has occurred following the latest Windows automatic update, yesterday.
My spellchecker no longer works on A2K nor on a number of different online sites I usually frequent. (I've checked)

I just rang Microsoft Australia tech support & they advised me that the problem is not with them, as the spellchecker on Outlook Express still works. (Which BTW way was an addition supplied by Microsoft, after I contacted them a couple of years ago, when the Microsoft Office Home & Student didn't contain an English spellcheck function.)

Anyway, according to Microsoft's advice this morning, the spellcheck problem I'm experiencing, is not their responsibility. And that it is with the online sites I frequent. They suggest I contact them (including the ABC news, the AGE newspaper, the Guardian newspaper, etc, etc Rolling Eyes ) & inform them that their spellcheckers are not functioning. When they were, a couple of days ago.

To cut a long story short, any useful advice on how to restore may spellcheck, anyone? I'd be grateful if someone could assist, as I'm rather stumped as to how to preceed from here.

I'm using Windows XL, Microsoft Office Home & Student & Firefox 3.6 at the moment, if that helps.

If this is all too difficult or messy for you, I fully understand.
Sigh
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:12 pm
@msolga,
Googling around to see if I can find any solutions & came across this.
Could this be the problem?
(Unfortunately, no responses to the poster's question available on this site.)
My problem is different, as the spellchecker does not work on any site.

Quote:
Spell check is not working in in Documents using Firefox 3.6.12.

Free Google Documents
Firefox 3.6.12 on Windows XP, SP3 with all the current updates.

The words underline in red but right-clicking doesn't provide any suggestions. This feature work in gmail, but not in Google documents. It's working in this "Post a question" form (btw, I had to add gmail to the dictionary.) It even works in IE. The only place it doesn't seem to work is in free version of Google Documents using Firefox 3.6.12. This is in Windows XP, SP3 with all the current updates.

I have searched through the answers but don't find any solutions that work for me. Have tried shift-right-click, ctrl-right-click. I've tried selecting the word before right-click as well as not selecting the word before right-click. I disabled Firefox's spell check. None of these have worked.

Any ideas?

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Docs/thread?tid=0753415a716a4ac1&hl=en
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:16 pm
@msolga,
I thought I answered, as luddite to luddite, that I thought spellcheck goes with the browser. It didn't post so I probably didn't click reply. Or else that's now on a cooking thread..
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Just checked the spellcheck using IE.
Not working.

I would like 20 cents for each time I've deliberately typed "recieve" (instead of receive) in various posts on various sites, today & yesterday!
I'd be pretty wealthy by now! Wink
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:26 pm
@msolga,
Is this the kind of thing that might be fixed by doing a system restore to before you made the changes?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:27 pm
@msolga,
I only have a sec, but I'm pretty sure you want to get to this menu:

tools->options->advanced

Make sure the box labelled 'check my spelling as I type' is clicked.

I'll be back later in case that doesn't work

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:28 pm
@ehBeth,
I honestly don't know the answer to that, ehBeth.
(please refer to thread title. Wink Neutral )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks, Cyclo.
I'll try that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Make sure the box labelled 'check my spelling as I type' is clicked.

Just checked that (3 times) & there is no "check my spelling as I type" option, Cyclo.
I haven't altered anything under "internet options", so I'm a bit stumped.
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:55 pm
@msolga,
OK, so the spellchecker doesn't work on any site using either Firefox 3.6 or IE, when it worked a couple of days ago.
I was thinking that maybe upgrading to FF4 might solve the problem, but I suspect it's best not to indulge in any Luddite tinkering in the hope that something might work.