msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 04:58 pm
Embarrassed

... is this:

Lately, when accessing various internet sites, like news sites, etc, strange things are happening:
First, they take longer to download than usual. (I'm on dial-up)
Then, when I try to scroll down, the text & images sort of s-t-r-e-t-c-h - vertically (not horizontally).
Then, after "refreshing" the page (& exercising a bit of patience! :wink: ) the problem is fixed.

Any suggestions as to the cause problem & how I might fix it, anyone?

Thank you,
Olga

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:13 pm
MsOlga, I'll kill time til a smart guy shows up.

Do you do regular maintenance on your computer?(scandisk defrag, etc)

and is just the internet slow?

Dial up is like purgatory...

RH
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:23 pm
I'm on dial-up too, msolga. I haven't seen your particular problem but I'll come sit as well. This is one of those times when Timber is sorely missed.

Did you load an new application recently? Sometimes if you load new software that accesses the internet it can take over your bandwidth, slowing down everything else you're trying to do. Or, did you recently upgrade an older computer to Vista?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:28 pm
Vista and dial up....Acckkk
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:31 pm
Rockhead wrote:
MsOlga, I'll kill time til a smart guy shows up.

Do you do regular maintenance on your computer?(scandisk defrag, etc)

and is just the internet slow?

Dial up is like purgatory...

RH

Happy to kill some time with you, Rockhead! Very Happy

Scandisk? = Confused

Yeah I do the scans & the updates, the Spybot thing, the Ad-Aware thing (thank you, Craven, for teaching me this stuff, years ago when I knew even less than I know now!), The Trend Micro thing, regularly empty temporary internet files, etc .....

But I haven't done a defrag for ages. Is it essential & why?

My computer is sometimes slow (or slower than usual. Dial-up is a very specialized, exquisite form of torture, isn't it? Laughing ) But I don't think this is the cause of my page stretching problem.

My hunch ( Laughing :wink: !) is that I'm missing some sort of essential update (Java? Or?) but that's just a guess.

Thanks for your response, Rockhead!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:34 pm
Defrag resorts all your hard drive space, and puts things in a more orderly and simple fashion. It is important, but a real expert will be along soon and expose my cave dwelling skills.

What operating system are you running?

RH
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:42 pm
JPB wrote:
I'm on dial-up too, msolga. I haven't seen your particular problem but I'll come sit as well. This is one of those times when Timber is sorely missed.

Did you load an new application recently? Sometimes if you load new software that accesses the internet it can take over your bandwidth, slowing down everything else you're trying to do. Or, did you recently upgrade an older computer to Vista?

Thanks for your understanding, Dial-up Sister!
Our internet experiences are different to The Others! :wink:

Yes, I was thinking about Timber before you mentioned him. Not just to solve my current problem .. I do miss him. Sad

No, no recent new software. And I wouldn't download anything without a Person In the Know advising it. Absolutely not!
Though, after each whopper Windows update, I almost of expect a few glitches these days ... just the way things go, for some reason. Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:46 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Defrag resorts all your hard drive space, and puts things in a more orderly and simple fashion. It is important, but a real expert will be along soon and expose my cave dwelling skills.

What operating system are you running?

RH

Ok, will do (the defrag thing)!

By "operating system" you mean IE/Windows?

And don't let the Real Experts make you feel inadequate, Rockhead! And I won't either. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:46 pm
Many commercial sites use Adobe Flash based graphics in their ads that are very slow to load and or stream on dial-up.

The stretching you see is what oftentimes happens when you try to scroll down a page that has not completely loaded.

If graphics aren't important to what you are doing online, you may want to disable Adobe Flash Player in your web browser. There are a few freeware programs that let you turn off Flash, script files, images, etc. like No! Flash and FlashSwitch.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:50 pm
Hiya, msolga. I have dial-up, and that elongated business happens all the time. You don't have to do anything. Just give it a minute. It clears up all by itself. Hey, you're used to waiting. What's another minute or two?

BTW, I'm going to be switching to a cable hook-up. Exploring the options.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:52 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Many commercial sites use Adobe Flash based graphics in their ads that are very slow to load and or stream on dial-up.

The stretching you see is what oftentimes happens when you try to scroll down a page that has not completely loaded.

If graphics aren't important to what you are doing online, you may want to disable Adobe Flash Player in your web browser. There are a few freeware programs that let you turn off Flash, script files, images, etc. like No! Flash and FlashSwitch.

Thank you, InfraBlue!

You said: "The stretching you see is what oftentimes happens when you try to scroll down a page that has not completely loaded."

Yep, that sounds right ... pretty much what happens & when.

When you say "graphics" do you mean all photographs, cartoons, etc, or the active/moving ones? (Sorry about my creative terminology! Embarrassed )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:59 pm
Roberta wrote:
Hiya, msolga. I have dial-up, and that elongated business happens all the time. You don't have to do anything. Just give it a minute. It clears up all by itself. Hey, you're used to waiting. What's another minute or two?

G'day, Boida!

You mean I have to become a patient person?
I thought I was, already! Even more patience is required, then? Gosh. Sad

Cable is looking an excellent idea! Maybe I should explore the options, too? For when I become wealthy .....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:04 pm
msolga wrote:
Roberta wrote:

G'day, Boida!

Cable is looking an excellent idea! Maybe I should explore the options, too? For when I become wealthy .....

You don't have to become wealthy. If that were the case, I'd be on dial-up forever. In fact, I'd probably be communicating via pigeon.

I've explored options. Don't know what's available in your neck of the woods. But I've found something that won't cost me more than I'm already paying. If your dial-up connection is free, well, that's another story.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:14 pm
msolga wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Thank you, InfraBlue!

You said: "The stretching you see is what oftentimes happens when you try to scroll down a page that has not completely loaded."

When you say "graphics" do you mean all photographs, cartoons, etc, or the active/moving ones? (Sorry about my creative terminology! Embarrassed )

Sorry for the Yank speak, msolga. I did mean all photographs, cartoons, etc. as well as the active moving ones. The more elaborate graphics are usually flash based. Some, however, are basic animated .gif image files. No! Flash, which I have used in the past, lets you choose which file types, and graphics applications (like Adobe Flash) you'd like to disable.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:20 pm
Roberta wrote:
msolga wrote:
Roberta wrote:

G'day, Boida!

You don't have to become wealthy. If that were the case, I'd be on dial-up forever. In fact, I'd probably be communicating via pigeon.

I've explored options. Don't know what's available in your neck of the woods. But I've found something that won't cost me more than I'm already paying. If your dial-up connection is free, well, that's another story.

OK then!

I will make enquiries!

If an affordable solution is available I'm all for it!
This is driving me nuts! Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:25 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
msolga wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Thank you, InfraBlue!

Sorry for the Yank speak, msolga. I did mean all photographs, cartoons, etc. as well as the active moving ones. The more elaborate graphics are usually flash based. Some, however, are basic animated .gif image files. No! Flash, which I have used in the past, lets you choose which file types, and graphics applications (like Adobe Flash) you'd like to disable.

Thank you again, InfraBlue!

Nah, it's not "Yank speak" that's my problem, it's "technology speak". (I don't use the term "Luddite", for nothing! Sigh.)

OK, I will do a bit of investigating along the lines you're suggesting. I think "basic" is all I require! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:30 pm
One more question, if I may:

Java software.

What's it for & is it necessary?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:32 pm
Live changing graphics, as I understand it.

Mostly stats for me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:34 pm
Ah.

So does a "basic" internet user (news sites, A2K, etc) need it?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:40 pm
a2k no
0 Replies