Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:05 pm
@msolga,
When you say "the spellchecker" what is it you are actually referring to? Is this a stand-alone spell checker program or something that was bundled with some other software program?

Does the spellchecker inside your Microsoft Office Home Edition work? If you haven't tried it, please open a document in Word and give it a try.

When you are on a website, how do you usually execute the spell checker function? Was it a button or menu choice on your Firefox browser? If so, that probably means it was an add-on and you may need to update that add-on.

TRY THE STEPS BELOW FIRST before doing the above.

Here are specific directions to what Cyclo was describing to you.

Up in the Firefox menu bar, click Tools, then click Options. This brings up the options box. Click on the Advanced tab then click on the smaller General tab. There are three sections of choices on that page. Look in the middle section and confirm that the line that says "check my spelling as I type" is checkmarked.

Report back on all of those tests if your spellchecker is still not functioning as expected after that.
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:09 pm
Gotta go out now.
Besides, I've just read Cyclo's "Sitting Down is Killing You" thread, so taking a break from resolving this seems an excellent idea!
Apart from dying, a person could also lose their marbles. Wink
I need a wee break. Been at this for 3 hours this morning.
Maybe the solution will come to me while I'm out & about? Razz
Back later.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:17 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
Make sure the box labelled 'check my spelling as I type' is clicked.

Just checked that (3 times) & there is no "check my spelling as I type" option, Cyclo.
I haven't altered anything under "internet options", so I'm a bit stumped.

Be sure you are looking at the "General" tab on the Tools>Options>Advanced window.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:19 pm
@Ticomaya,
In other words, do what Butrflynet said. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Embarrassed I was checking "internet options", not the FF "tools" bar before, Butrflynet.
I missunderstood Cyclo's directions.
Apologies for any confusion I've caused.

Now that I have checked FF "tools" .... yes, the "check my spelling as I type" box is ticked.

Quote:
When you say "the spellchecker" what is it you are actually referring to?

I mean the spellcheck function that previuosly (up to a couple of days ago) worked automatically.
If a word was wrongly spelled, it would be underlined in red & a right click would supply the correct spelling to replace it.

Quote:
Is this a stand-alone spell checker program or something that was bundled with some other software program?

Possibly it is a stand-alone. I'm not certain. The OE 2.1 Spellchecker was an additional program (supplied to me by Microsoft) after I purchased the Microsoft Home & Student a couple of years ago. Because there wasn't an English spellchecker in the program. A well-known flaw. )

Since the last Windows update, the spellchecker works only in Outlook Express (emails) & not for any online sites, like A2K.

Sorry for the previous confusion.
Thank you, Butrflynet and Tico for your input.
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:14 pm
@msolga,
More on spellchecker OE 2.1
It may or may not have anything to the spellchecker function on online sites.
It doesn't sound like it to me, according to this information, below.

Quote:
A free program, made to allow people to use Spell Checker in Outlook Express. This is a stand alone application, that incorporates in Outlook Express.

The purpose of this program, is to supply for free the ability to use Spelling in OE, without the need to purchase other software, such as MS Word,Works, or Office.

http://majorgeeks.com/Spell_Checker_for_OE_d2952.html

So my next Luddite question is this: what program/s usually supply the spellcheck function on online sites like this one?
Would that be XL, Firefox, or what?
Sorry, I should know this, but I don't.
Anyway, the only stand-alone spellchecker I have is spellchecker OE 2.1, which sounds like it applies only to OE emails.

(Microsoft's advice this morning is that if my email are spellchecked then the malfunctioning spellchecker (on online sites) is not their responsibility, but the responsibility of the online sites I'm frequenting.)
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:16 pm
@msolga,
And now I really must leave, or I'm going to be late for an appointment.

Thank you to all who have had the patience to read through all of this and have attempted to help.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 11:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Does the spellchecker inside your Microsoft Office Home Edition work? If you haven't tried it, please open a document in Word and give it a try

Tried a Word document & the spellchecker worked.
Hooray!
So it's working for my emails & my Word documents, but not on any online sites like this one.

(I would have posted this information earlier, but my connection to A2K was lost. A frustrating day today (Friday the 13th) for Luddites. Wink )
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:06 am
@msolga,
Hey Olga,

Try right-clicking inside the box you type in when you're responding to a message here. A menu will come up next to your pointer; down at the bottom, does it have an option that says 'languages' or 'add dictionary?' If it does, try and click on that and see if that helps.

Cycloptichorn
msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:13 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Yes, that appears to work, Cyclo.

I can download an English/Australian dictionary.

Do you think that will fix the spellchecker problem?

To proceed I need to make a small financial contribution to Mozilla & I'm just trying to figure out PayPal details.

I'd rather not go down this path if the problem isn't likely to be rectified. (Not that I object to paying $5, or anything like that!)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:24 am
@msolga,
I did some research, and some people suggested that you can have problems with spell-checking even if your option is turned on, if the dictionary is corrupted or missing or something, which can happen, I guess. So that might solve it for ya.

I think you can get an American English one for free. I wouldn't pay for one! Try the American one if it's free, and see if that works.

Sleepy time for me - I hope to wake up tomorrow and see that it worked for ya!

Cycloptichorn
msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:25 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Thank you for your help & sleep well. Smile
msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:33 am
@msolga,
Woo hoo!

That worked!!! Very Happy

msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:36 am
@msolga,
Now to try it out on a few other sites.

I will report back!
msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:43 am
@msolga,
I'm back in business.

I now have a spellchecker again!

Thank you very much, Cyclo! Smile
msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:47 am
@msolga,
... & Butrflynet & Tico & osso, too.

Thank you all very much for your help.

I can't believe this problem has actually been resolved. Phew.

A2Kers are terrific! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:11 am
Now I can proceed with confidence (I hope!) ... confident in the knowledge that my posts will not look like this! Smile :

Quote:
Eye have a spelling chequer,
It came with my Pea Sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss Steaks I can knot sea.

Eye strike the quays and type a whirred
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am write oar wrong
It tells me straight a weigh.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your shore real glad two no.
Its vary polished in its weigh.
My chequer tolled me sew.

A chequer is a bless thing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right all stiles of righting,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The chequer pours o'er every word
Two cheque sum spelling rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spell_checker
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 08:19 am
All right! That was a learnin experience for me too.

Cycloptichorn
msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 08:27 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Certainly a biggie for me! Smile
Thanks again.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 10:23 pm
A friend of mine recently informed me, via someone who is "an ex-Microsoft employee, an expert in these things", that if you leave your computer on for long periods without actually using it yourself, that it can be accessed by local hackers for their own purposes.

Does this sound right to you, any A2K experts in the know?
I haven't a clue about such things.
0 Replies