msolga

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 01:31 am
@DrewDad,
Thank you, DrewDad. A response at last! Very Happy

You don't find that at times they rather fight with Windows updates & your choice of internet security? (Mine is Trend)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 01:41 am
@msolga,
I never used those programs for my own computer. I prefer not to let the stuff in that to try to clean it up. But in the past I used them a lot to help others. Thing is, with the much more secure browsers these days I haven't even had to do that in years.
msolga

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 01:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for that, Robert. You know, I had a hunch (in my Luddite kind of way) that this might now be the case. But it's very reassuring to to hear it from another source. Makes life a lot simpler, too! Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 07:05 am
@Robert Gentel,
Folks are less likely to get malware via malicious websites, but browser security doesn't stop people from installing yuckware themselves.

Msolga, as long as you aren't installing software from disreputable sources, then you can probably get by without a malware cleaner. If you do download the occasional "funny video," screensaver, game, "download accelerator," etc. then you should probably run a scan once in a while.
msolga

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:45 pm
@DrewDad,
Thanks, DrewDad.
Thankfully I'm not downloading any of those varities of software.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:14 pm
I'd be grateful if someone in the know could explain what's happening here & why:

While online this morning, a blue screen appeared with this message:

"A problem has been detected & Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: s (something, something, something).
The device drive got stuck in a continuous loop ...."
etc, etc, etc ...

This has (recently) happened a few times now. I don't know whether to be concerned or not, but it's pretty annoying. Things are fine after I log onto the internet again ...

(In case this has anything to do with the problem: A few weeks ago a received a Trend (anti-virus) update from my usual source (my computer tech - paid for as usual), though I've received a couple of email messages from Trend bribing me to update as there's no record of me having done so. (?) And I have a legit (bought & paid for) copy of Windows XP.)

Any idea of what's going on here?

Thanks,
Olga
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:29 pm
A quick one, if I may:

What exactly does it mean if my new security informs me that my internet address may be "spoofed"? (I realize that most likely isn't good news. Wink )

But what does it mean & without going into too much detail, what should I do about it?

I alreadyhave had reports of a couple of "blocked" attacks today & some of you will know that that my computer has been problematic recently. This last attack apparently was not able to be blocked. Hmmmmm... Confused
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:55 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I'd be grateful if someone in the know could explain what's happening here & why:

While online this morning, a blue screen appeared with this message

Based on your description, all I can tell you is that your computer is having a serious enough problem to crash repeatedly. But it looks like I'm pretty late responding so I'll leave it at that unless it's still a problem for you and move on to your next question.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:58 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
What exactly does it mean if my new security informs me that my internet address may be "spoofed"? (I realize that most likely isn't good news. Wink )

What "new security" and what does it say exactly? We can research what it is if you give us something more specific, or we might even recognize it. But all I can do now is guess that somewhere you saw a message about IP spoofing.

Quote:
But what does it mean & without going into too much detail, what should I do about it?

You should write down the specific message, and let us know exactly what program is giving you this message. That way we can give you answers.

Quote:
I alreadyhave had reports of a couple of "blocked" attacks today & some of you will know that that my computer has been problematic recently. This last attack apparently was not able to be blocked. Hmmmmm... Confused

Blocked by what? There are literally millions of things going on in your computer, we really do need more specifics to help unless we are lucky enough to guess what it is.
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert

I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security (2009) for a 30 day trial. (Any thoughts on that?) I've had it for about a week now.

The last apparent "threat"(described in my earlier post) happened today. I had also previously received "warning" information (via Kaspersky) about vulnerabilities to Java (Sun) I have since updated Java.

Prior to this, Trend security (which was updated by my previous tech help), appeared to have been compromised recently, as I was receiving unauthorized messages from "Trend" & there were other related problems.

I have relied on advice from a new, local (established - 20 years business experience in the community) tech help, since learning that email & password information from my previous tech help was compromised (by a now-sacked employee - clients' usernames & password information was passed on to to god knows where! Charming. (Some sort of serious legal action has taken place, I understand.)

So there you have it. I'm unsure of where to go from here. Remove everthing & start again from scratch? Confused
Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:07 am
@msolga,
Allthough I don't know specifics of what is going on... I can tell you that Kaspersky is very good and uses a lot less overhead than Norton. I have been using Kaspersky for over a year with excellent results.

I would think that Kaspersky is notifiying you of a change to Java since it is updated. Any time something changes in a program etc., Kaspersky lets you know and you usually have to confirm that a change has taken place when Kaspersky notifies you.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:28 pm
@msolga,
I don't have much experience with Kaspersky, but I do recommend that you get off your free trial and on to a permanent AV solution, whether that means paying for Kaspersky or another AV product or using a free one like AVG.

I personally tend to use the corporate Norton AV when I can, but honestly as long as you do a few other things (which I will explain) then it really doesn't matter that much.

Ok, now on to whether you should start from scratch again or not. This depends on a couple of things:

1) Do you want to go through the effort of cleaning your computer without formatting? If you have a lot of things on it, and don't mind the trial and error and multiple steps you'll need to take to fix it then by all means do so. But it can also be easier to start from scratch.

2) Do you have a legitimate install disc for Windows? Do you have a disc with your computers drivers? With these two things a fresh install is usually very straightforward.

Anywho, you'll have to make your own decision on that, but I can try to help with either that you decide. Now on to how to keep your computer safe:

1) Do not use your computer with an administrator account. Password protect the admin account and use a separate user account for your day-to-day use.

This one step eliminates almost all security risks. I personally would be comfortable with no AV software, no firewall or anything else but a patched Windows install running a non-admin account.

When you want to install things, you'll have to log in to your password protected admin account, and that can be annoying, but at least you won't have stuff you don't want installed on your computer.

2) Make sure your operating system is set up to receive updates and install them automatically. Unless your software or operating system has a bug that allows people to gain control of your computer, it is pretty darn safe. But bugs in various software are discovered weekly, and several times a year there's a critical one that has the possibility of compromising your computer. If you have automatic updates you are protected from all but zero-day attacks (the ones where the bad guys discover the bug, normally the way it works is the good guys do, fix it and publish the details and months later bad guys use it to get into computers that are not being updated with patches).

3) Make sure you have AV software that is set up to receive automatic updates as well.

4) Don't download and install stuff. No matter how secure your computer is, if you let one piece of malware in it can ruin it all. Remember, a "secure" computer basically just means they can't get their code to run on your computer without you doing it yourself. Thing is, many people do just that, and install this toolbar and that gadget and bundled among that free software is often malware.

Take these few simple steps, and you should not have no security problems on your computer.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:43 pm
Thanks very much, Robert. Much appreciated.

Thanks, Intrepid.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:08 pm
Before I proceed, I just want to say that I am nowhere near the Luddite I was, when I first started this thread a while ago, OK? Smile
But still a pretty much a Luddite when it comes to understanding more technical things, like:
CPU usage.

Is there a kind tech person out there who can explain this in simple language, please?

I use FireFox & Windows XP.When accessing some online video files I sometimes/quite often receive a "high CPU" message, though I'm told the source of the problem (FireFox file) is "safe".

OK, this is what I'd like to know:

* Exactly what is meant by "CPU usage"?
* What does it mean when my CPU usage is "high"?
*Can this harm my computer in any way?
* Is there some way I can lower the CPU usage when viewing internet video material? (the main source of the problem)
*I have accessed a number of online discussions which are very critical of FireFox in this respect. Apparently there is some well known flaw in their programming files.
* Can/should I remove the offending file? (which can be easily found) I suspect not.
*Any advice for a person in this situation with CPU usage?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's prepared to have a go at answering this,
Olga

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:14 pm
@msolga,
Quote:

I use FireFox & Windows XP.When accessing some online video files I sometimes/quite often receive a "high CPU" message, though I'm told the source of the problem (FireFox file) is "safe".

Okay non-luddite; now I'm interested. Can you take a screenshot? If not, if you use windows, I can show you how to do it.

This sounds very virusy to me, but isn't necessarily, so I really think it's worth looking into.

Cycloptichorn
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:20 pm
@msolga,
CPU usage = how much of your computer's processor is being used at one time.

I guess for some reason you have a program that's overburdening your system.

I'm using Google Chrome right now. If you hit Control/Alt/Delete you can bring up the Windows Task Manager and see what programs are using the most of your CPU (the main processing chip of your computer).

You say this message comes up with videos?

Do you use a laptop or desktop?

Does your computer have an integrated video card built into your motherboard or do you have a separate video card?

It could be that whatever type of video card you have is broke and all the video processing is being handled by your main processor.

Video (HD?) + Windows XP + Firefox = could be overburdened main processor.

BTW: Do you have a lot of extra add ons to Firefox? These extras can be a nuisance. They're the reason I left Firefox for Chrome. Too many extras plus a few buggy add ons could make Firefox sluggish. This might be a strain on your CPU as well.
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Okay non-luddite

Ha. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here! Laughing

I doubt it's "virusy", Cyclo.
I receive the message via a pop-up from Norton.
It tells me that the CPU usage is high but "safe".
It directs me to the Firefox file I've downloaded which is the source of the problem. I'm not advised to remove it. (What am I supposed to do with the information then? Confused )
And, as I said, I have come across heaps of online FireFox discussion sites (some way too technical for me to fully "get") with users complaining about FF not fixing the known flaw.
I haven't a clue as to what to do about it ... or whether I need to do anything at all!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:33 pm
@msolga,
If you're positive that it IS an actual Norton message and not a bogus pop up then I guess its time to give Firefox the good ole slip and move onto Chrome.

Chrome is smaller and leaner and uses less of the computer resources.

I mean if Firefox knows about this issue and its on the back burner in terms of problems being fixed....
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
CPU usage = how much of your computer's processor is being used at one time.

And that is harmful in any way?

Quote:
I guess for some reason you have a program that's overburdening your system.

Yes, that's what it sounds like.

Quote:
Do you use a laptop or desktop?

Desktop.

Quote:
Does your computer have an integrated video card built into your motherboard or do you have a separate video card?

Well I don't have a separate video card so I must have an integrated one, yes? (I don't know much about this, obviously. Smile )

Quote:
Video (HD?) + Windows XP + Firefox = could be overburdened main processor.

Often just the "standard" video available through news + other sources.

Quote:
BTW: Do you have a lot of extra add ons to Firefox?

No, I don't.
The files I have have been received via FF updates.
This (the high CPU usage ) is a relatively recent development. (A few months)

Thank you for you input, Cylco & tsar.

I have a hunch I'm going to have to compare notes with other FF users to sort this one out.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:42 pm
what size/type is your processor Ms Olga?
It will look something like pentium dual core 1.6GH