Birth control for long term relationships

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:49 pm
Hate condoms, it's like having sex with a sock puppet. Glad I'm not young and single anymore. Well, I wouldn't mind the young part.

Soz, Check out an IUD. I didn't want to repeat Montana's recommendation, but they're not like the ones we heard about 25 years ago that could be very damaging. It's the number one birth control outside of the US (excluding condoms). They never recovered from their bad press in this country.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:57 pm
Yeah, I do have that automatic "danger! danger!" reaction when I think of an IUD. (In fact, 25 years ago would make me 12 and reading "Our Bodies, Ourselves." They weren't big fans.) I'll look into it. Due for a visit to my Gyn anyway. Oh joy.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:26 pm
Put me down as another one who hates condoms. They take all the heat out of the moment, if you know what I mean.
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:47 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Put me down as another one who hates condoms. They take all the heat out of the moment, if you know what I mean.

Ditto
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:07 am
Green Witch wrote:
Hate condoms, it's like having sex with a sock puppet. Glad I'm not young and single anymore. Well, I wouldn't mind the young part.

Soz, Check out an IUD. I didn't want to repeat Montana's recommendation, but they're not like the ones we heard about 25 years ago that could be very damaging. It's the number one birth control outside of the US (excluding condoms). They never recovered from their bad press in this country.

This is true. They have come out with much better products since the bad rep they had way back when.
They had even improved them a lot by the time I had mine 20 years ago.
In fact, because of the bad rep, I wouldn't have gone with it if my doc hadn't have told me she had one too.
I figured if it was good enough for her, it was good enough for me.

When I said I had the best form of birth control, I was actually refering to the fact that it'll soon be 9 years since I've done the deed, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe Laughing

Chiming in with the others who hate condoms!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 07:50 am
I have a latex allergy, so condoms are out of the question.

That is too painfull of an 'itch' to even THINK of using one.

Not to mention ( what everyone else has said) it just feels wrong.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 07:53 am
I have to amend my post a bit.

When I was younger, I did not realize that I was allergic to latex and I would have infection after infection.
Some were so painful and I would swell up so bad, it was almost like I was having a period.

For a while doctors thought I may have had some kind of allergy to SPERM.
My whole world rocked when a doc said that.

But , from there it moved on to possible cancer.

Only about 10 years ago, maybe a few more.. doctors were more familiar with the look of latex allergy I think, and one visit to a doctor in Rio Rancho explained it all.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:03 pm
sozobe wrote:
I know what you mean, GreenWitch.

Am I the only woman here that doesn't like condoms? I'll use them if I have to (like when I'm on antibiotics that interfere with the pill), but I don't like them at all. "Ribbed for her pleasure"? Not so much. They all feel weird and fake and ew.

I most definitely don't recommend the pill across the board, for all the reasons mentioned here. Lots of different reactions to it. Just saying that for ME, it's been great. Though I do have to look into the over-35 stuff. Sigh. I'm about 90% sure we don't want another kid but that 10% is keeping me from doing something permanent, yet.

Check with your doctor. I'm 45 and still use the pill - my doctor says its fine because I am so low risk - have never smoked, have very low blood pressure and am very healthy. She says if I have no problems, there is no reason medically why I should any issue at my age.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:06 pm
Montana wrote:

When I said I had the best form of birth control, I was actually refering to the fact that it'll soon be 9 years since I've done the deed, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe Laughing

Have you met Mr. Hunt?

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109637
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:18 pm
Would that be Mike Hunt? Anyone remember that joke? Laughing

Ok, I'm gonna go see what's behind that link GW.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:31 pm
Laughing Hey, it's been a while and I'd prefer someone who knows their stuff, eh Cool
0 Replies

indubididly

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:33 pm
"Dears"

If the thread is to see what's out there long-term try: Mirena--IUD or Implenon--upper arm implant.
0 Replies

indubididly

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:35 pm
Oh yeah, by the way, I'm a specialty pharmacist. :wink:
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:33 pm
I've used an Implanon implant in my arm for 5 years. Each implant lasts for 3 years ... it secrets progestin only, is safe, inhibits ovulation and is extremely effective.

I've had no side effects, no weight gain, nothing.

The pill has always been a disaster for me. Each time I try it, it is usually a progestin / estrogen mix which makes me vomit without warning, gives me migraines, stomach cramps, mood swings AND makes me fat as well. The pill does not work for me

As the US does not provide the implant at a reasonable cost, I'm going to opt for the Depo Provera shot. It, again, is progestin only and lasts for 3 months per shot. I'll wait and see how it goes ...

Good luck in your choices Smile
jazz
0 Replies