Birth control for long term relationships

mochit

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:55 am
What do those of you in long term relationships (like marriage) use for contraception?

I'm concerned about my wife using the pill for the long term because of the numerous potential side effects printed on the label.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,840 • Replies: 53
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:57 am
I've used birth control pills for a very long time (over 20 years now) and am happy with them.

Pretty much any medication has a whole long list of scary possible side effects. I haven't had any problems.

There have been studies showing health benefits to birth control pills, too... I don't remember specifics right now but can look them up.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:26 am
There are always permanent methods if you are done or never plan on having children.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:41 am
I have an IUD.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:43 am
sozobe wrote:
I've used birth control pills for a very long time (over 20 years now) and am happy with them.

Pretty much any medication has a whole long list of scary possible side effects. I haven't had any problems.

There have been studies showing health benefits to birth control pills, too... I don't remember specifics right now but can look them up.

I took the pill for 12 years straight...we tried getting pregnant and it happened the first month we tried.

The point? I think that every medication effects people differently and there weren't any adverse effects to me taking the pill that long. A lot of women swear they couldn't get pregnant for a year after getting off the pill. Not me. Similarily, a lot of women have trouble taking the pill (side effects). Not me either.

If she is a non smoker and isn't grossly overweight, I wouldn't worry (those things increase potential for side effects)
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:51 am
Thanks for the input everyone. So the pill as a long term solution sounds like a common one?

I do understand it effects people differently, but she has had no problems w/ it, and is not an overweight/smoker
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:52 am
vasectomy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:55 am
If your wife is a non-smoker under the age of 35 then she shouldn't have any concern. If she is a regular smoker and is over 35 she should consider another method of birth control. If she's one but not the other then she should get feedback from her obgyn or nurse-midwife about continuing on the pill.

The other thing to consider in the mix is her family's medical history on circulatory disorders, such as stroke, aneurysms, or phlebitis or even chronic high blood pressure.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:56 am
The pill has the best reputation, AND has been around the longest with little change.

Unlike some of the more popular " convenience" methods, the pill has the lowest rate of problems and is the easiest to discontinue.

It has my vote.

( For the record, I had my tubes tied. But that was because I have a hard time carrying babies to term and I did not want to do that anymore)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:59 am
so far you've had 2 BC pills, 1 IUD, 1 question re the possibility of a permanent procedure, 1 tubal ligation and 1 vasectomy.

Not really showing that BC pills are the most "common" solution.

Question mochit...If you are concerned about your wifes health, why not use condoms?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:01 am
sozobe wrote:

Me too. I haven't had any issues - I believe one of the benefits is a lower incidence of ovarian cancer - not 100% sure if it is that particular cancer, but it is definately one type of cancer more common in women.

It also causes lighter period and side effects associated with PMS in many women. Some women take the pill to lessen these effects.

Everyone is different so it is important to be aware of the potential negative side effects. It is not recommended for women who smoke to take the pill because it dramatically increases some of these side effects - also women who have high pressure can have problems as well.

For most healthy women, there is low incidence of negative side effects.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:03 am
JPB wrote:
If your wife is a non-smoker under the age of 35 then she shouldn't have any concern. If she is a regular smoker and is over 35 she should consider another method of birth control. If she's one but not the other then she should get feedback from her obgyn or nurse-midwife about continuing on the pill.

The other thing to consider in the mix is her family's medical history on circulatory disorders, such as stroke, aneurysms, or phlebitis or even chronic high blood pressure.

I am over the age of 35 and my doctor says it isn't an issue with me because I am so healthy. It is very important to have an open dialoge with your doctor so that s/he can guide you best.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:09 am
Hold on, mochit is the person who has the rebel wife.

I would Definitaly be wearing condoms.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:11 am
No ****..
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:15 am
What does your wife say, mochit? Does the pill bother her?

My problem with the pill was mostly that it made me feel pregnant all the time. No amount of hormone adjustment seemed to fix this. I lived it with it for a long time because the alternative was worse, but eventually my husband did have a vasectomy.
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:15 am
Chai wrote:
Hold on, mochit is the person who has the rebel wife.

I would Definitaly be wearing condoms.

If it were not about me, that is pretty funny!
In her defense, she's not a rebel in that sense.
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:25 am
FreeDuck wrote:
What does your wife say, mochit? Does the pill bother her?

My problem with the pill was mostly that it made me feel pregnant all the time. No amount of hormone adjustment seemed to fix this. I lived it with it for a long time because the alternative was worse, but eventually my husband did have a vasectomy.

She just concerned with cancer risk for long term use. What symptoms of being pregnant do you mean ?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:30 am
Giant sore boobs, slower metabolism, moody, etc...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:31 pm
Here is a cancer website that describes those cancers that have a slight increased risk due to pill use and those that have a decreased risk.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=2572

I would also talk to your doctor about these concerns.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:28 pm
I hate to sound like a broken record (I've posted this on several threads), but I had *awful* problems with every form of hormonal b.c. I tried (extreme depression, anger, physical effects like what FreeDuck mentioned, chronic bladder infections...) . I didn't want to give up on them because of the convenience, but I was so miserable I finally had to. Took a long time to realize what the problem was because doctors tend to take the "Oh, no, you're not at risk for the common side effects" line, and are either not very aware of -- or are not very forthcoming about -- the frequency of other side effects, IMO.

Anyway, we've switched to condoms and are quite happy with that. They have a low failure rate as long as you really do use them absolutely correctly. And Mr C will probably go the vasectomy route when he's older, as an even better alternative (I'm awfully glad I'm not with one of those guys that freak out at the mere suggestion of that possibility!).

I'm not saying not to try the Pill, but just for her to be really aware of how she feels when she's on it. (My husband just chimed in, "If you want her to turn into Satan, go for it!" Laughing I'm gonna go slap him...)
0 Replies