Nice message to send to your 6 year old...

Chai

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 04:08 pm
6 year old lies about father dying in Iraq to get Hanna Montana tickets.

The mom's reasoning?

We wanted to win the tickets so we did whatever we had to do....

Scary thing is, this story reminded me of someone I know who would have this same thought process, and teach it to her child.

Anyway...I don't really know who hanna montana is, but apparantly has quite a following among young girls...but SIX Years Old? Seems kind of young to be that obsessed about going to a concert.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,596 • Replies: 46
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:07 pm
I think the mom should get a one-way ticket to Iraq.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:25 pm
Disgraceful.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 07:01 pm
You know, for the effect this mother is having on her childs life, i.e. it's okay to lie, cheat, etc if it gets you what you wants, she might as well be pimping the kid out.

I mean, she's setting this little human up for a life bereft of morales.

If she tells a 6 year old it's okay to lie about a ficticious father who dies a soldiers death in order to get a concert ticket, what will she be telling this child when she's 10, 13, 15, 18, etc?

Something else I'm curious about in general....

I'm sure there are other parents who are going about it the right way and buying tickets for their daughters who are as young as 6. From what I understand, these tickets are way pricey....more than I would ever spend to see a concert, regardless of the performer.

What are parents thinking when they spend money like this on a child who, in my opinion, cannot really understand that this is not some two dollar bag of stickers, or candy or what have you?

I think there are very few, if any children in first or second grade whose brain works that way yet.

All that money, for what? 90 minutes, if that, of dazzle lights that the kid won't even remember clearly by the end of the year?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 07:34 pm
I think that because some parents don't "raise" their children as children of days goneby were raised, they use monetary rewards to make up for their inadequacies. Give the child what they want and they will be satisfied with their life.

It is sad that some parents deprive their children of a proper upbringing with the values that some of us were raised with Money does not buy happiness.

I know that some will question what I mean by a proper upbringing. Those who have had one will know.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:44 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I think that because some parents don't "raise" their children as children of days goneby were raised,
they use monetary rewards to make up for their inadequacies.
Give the child what they want and they will be satisfied with their life.

It is sad that some parents deprive their children of a proper upbringing
with the values that some of us were raised with Money does not buy happiness.

I know that some will question what I mean by a proper upbringing.

Those who have had one will know.

I was alone most of the time, from age 8.
I liked it; I had a lot of freedom; I deemed that " proper. "
Freedom is good.
I got what I wanted, and I was satisfied with life, as Intrepid points out.
I know that.

THAT must be what Intrepid means.
He is keenly insightful.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:59 pm
Re: Nice message to send to your 6 year old...
Chai wrote:
6 year old lies about father dying in Iraq to get Hanna Montana tickets.

The mom's reasoning?

We wanted to win the tickets so we did whatever we had to do....

Scary thing is, this story reminded me of someone I know
who would have this same thought process, and teach it to her child.

Anyway...I don't really know who hanna montana is,
but apparantly has quite a following among young girls...
but SIX Years Old?
Seems kind of young to be that obsessed about going to a concert.

I wonder how thay pryed the tickets loose
from the deceptive winners.

Chai, is that your picture ?

David
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:27 pm
Re: Nice message to send to your 6 year old...
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Chai, is that your picture ?

David

no...this is me...from my "i just got a new haircut" thread

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/40146/2000122030699543979_rs.jpg
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:00 pm
Chai, your new haircut is gaw-juss! My hair's been hippie-long since I was 14 (looooong time!) and I marvel at the courage of women who change their style!

Back to the subject, Hannah Montana is a construct -- a 15-year old pop singer played by Miley Cyrus, Billy Ray Cyrus' daughter. Disney Channel has a sitcom (starring Miley with BRC as her dad, big reach) about the pop singer, who has insisted on a "normal" teen life. So most days she's a cute brunette student with ordinary friends, and when the tour begins she's a bewigged blonde cutie -- not too sexy -- who sings popular songs for screaming hordes of preteens...

In the wake of "Spinal Tap," the show has spawned real tours by "Hannah," who appeals mostly to girls from six to 13 or so... I gather tickets can be murderously expensive (over a grand!) and very hard to get.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:37 pm
That is sick.

I just looked up some sites where tickets are being sold...albeit from brokers, they START at $150 on some sites and for instance, the show coming to Austin has a top price of $1,850!!!!!

What on earth could justify getting your daughter those tickets?

Something else I wonder about...the demographics of her fan base is 6 to 13?

Isn't that a little strange? I can't see where a 6 year old and 13 year old would have much in common, unless the 13 year old was very immature.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:50 am
Chai - I have been thinking the same as you on this. I was listening to the radio station when all this crap happened about Hannah Montana. My 9 year old wanted tickets - I thought o-k it should be easy this kid is 15, I'll just go on the internet and buy them when they go on sale. And wham sold out in 5 minutes. I then saw the prices ticket agencies were raping the public with. My daughter asked again. I pulled up a ticket website and showed her the insane prices - she said - oh can I get High School Musical on Ice tickets instead.

If a 9 year old can understand these prices are insane, why can't a grown adult? So as I am listening this mom calls in complaining about the price of the tickets. So the DJ asks did you buy them? And she says yes, I didn't want to disappoint her. What the f**k I'm thinking - great thing to teach your child that even if it causes undue financial strain they can get what they want and next year, this kid will have forgotten HM and is now into some other fad.

By the way I did go to the concert - won the tickets and wasn't too bad, but certainly not worth $66 face value itself much less the added prices the agencies were charging.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:57 am
Wow....yeah, of course a 9 year old would look at the ticket prices if you showed her and say "YIKES". Hadn't occured to me to get the kiddo involved in that way.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:19 pm
Chai wrote:
Wow....yeah, of course a 9 year old would look at the ticket prices if you showed her and say "YIKES". Hadn't occured to me to get the kiddo involved in that way.

I look at it as a "teaching" moment.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:15 pm
My kids generally hate those moments :wink:
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:51 pm
This family is in Texas. Sounds like the mom's prepping her girl to be a cheerleader there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:06 pm
jake123 wrote:
This family is in Texas. Sounds like the mom's prepping her girl to be a cheerleader there.

I was thinking the same thing.

Wait - I'm moving there! Do I need to become one of those moms??
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:09 pm
Yes.

A test will be given after you are here for 3 months.

Haven't you received your shipment of Aqua Net yet?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:29 pm
Chai wrote:
Yes.

A test will be given after you are here for 3 months.

Haven't you received your shipment of Aqua Net yet?

Damn this time next year - you won't even recognize me.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:32 pm
jake123 wrote:

Check out this story:
Cheerleaders Gone Wild

To me this is the product of the type of parenting we're talking about.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:53 pm
The article doesn't give much detail about the mother's age-- but I put her in her 20s. I think she was probably desperate and overly influenced by popular culture and unconsciously plagued by larger social ills of the day (status, status, status). This does not exonerate her in anyway. I wouldn't heap too much venom upon her though-- she admitted it was not true and said they wrote it to win. Also, imagine how crappy she must be feeling at the moment?

I feel for her, even if she is from Texas (sorry to y'all who inhabit or were otherwise natives of...) and instilling all those Jon Benet values on her child.
0 Replies