CIGNA HealthCare Murders Teenage Girl

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 03:58 pm
Settlement before judgement by Sta Rite was a calculated move to cut its losses. Legal strategy is that which serves the client best. Even the little girl who was disemboweled by a clearly defective mechanism that was not covered with "Danger" signs, deserved legal representation as a plaintiff. AND, as a plaintiff, her case was footed by Edwards.

Ill take your word OB that you dont listen to Limbaugh but some of your positions sound remarkeably like his , and I know you dont have production staff working on your behalf.
Ive posted Edwards case load in which the recent decisions and settlements were posted. What are you against here, Edwards brilliance as a trial lawyer, or the legal system itself??
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:10 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dlowan wrote:
You appear to me to be suggesting that Edwards helped to create the belief that it was poor obstetric practice? Am I right? If so, in whom are you saying he helped to create this belief?
Jurors. He sure never convinced additional Doctors of his correctness... but his BS does seem to have had an impact on the chosen procedure... to avoid being sued.

dlowan wrote:
You are then saying that, with medical opinion divided roughly fifty/fifty, Edwards successfully out-argued the opposing case, and his clients got damages?
That is the simple truth. The fact that he was allowed to is a problem with our legal system, as any intelligent person (absent emotion) can clearly see that following the age old method of birthing, along with the consensus of even half of the medical community does not a malpractice suit make.

dlowan wrote:
Is it your contention that, with medical opinion at the time divided, that he ought not to have taken on these cases?
Yes Deb; that is precisely what I'm saying. Approximately every other practicing expert was subject to the scumbag's wrath, if luck of the draw brought them the delivery of a baby with CP. By pretending to channel the dead baby; his appeal to emotion blinded jurors of their common sense (that half the experts agreed with the procedure used, so it was hardly malpractice). This isn't rainmaking. This isn't going after cold hearted bastards for callous decision. This is pure opportunistic scumbaggery...

Are you saying that only Edwards took on such cases?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:24 pm
perhaps OB is jeaqlous of Edwards because he cannot successfully bullshit anyone around Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:26 pm
farmerman wrote:
Ill take your word OB that you dont listen to Limbaugh but some of your positions sound remarkeably like his , and I know you dont have production staff working on your behalf.
Well thank you for not calling me a liar.
farmerman wrote:
Ive posted Edwards case load in which the recent decisions and settlements were posted. What are you against here, Edwards brilliance as a trial lawyer, or the legal system itself??
Edwards using his brilliance as a trial lawyer to exploit a fault in our legal system, and then having the audacity to pretend he was standing up for the people. It was clear 20 years ago that the 20+ doctors he personally screwed (and Dog only knows how many were screwed using the blueprint) weren't guilty of malpractice. Today, we know that not only were they not guilty of malpractice for simply using their reasonable best judgment; they were correct the whole time.

Just because something is legally permissible; doesn't make it morally correct. Had Edwards used his superior talents to go after actual 'bad guys', he would have earned my respect (I much enjoyed a couple of Grisham books where true medical villains were exposed, but that wasn't the objective here.) By attacking innocents; he has earned my scorn... and I'll continue to see it as my duty to both illuminate his ruthless behavior; and the disgusting way he went about it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:30 pm
dlowan wrote:
Of course not. There's lots of similar scumbags. I just don't know of any with plans to be my president.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:56 pm
O B, Youre beginning to get a bit strident in your critique.
Quote:
There may even be some propensity, by jurors, to distribute the uncertainties in the favor of disabled children, and against physicians. But that does not mean their verdicts are unsupported by evidence in the individual case. The law has scoops and scoops of methods for dealing with that kind of problem. North Carolina, in particular, has been a Daubert state since even before Daubert was decided. See State v. Pennington, 327 N.C. 89, 393 S.E.2d 847 (1990).

The DAubert (formerly Fry) tests are for admissability of EXPERT testimony. Since NC was a pre DAubert, (Daubert state) , it required (during the times of his cases)the same tests that the SCIENCE behind the testimony to be generally accepted and represented by an individual (expert witness) trained and representative of that field. SO on what basis are you calling his case and his experts frauds and scumbags?? I think you should have stayed in law school till you graduated before preaching legal ethics. Im no lawyer as you know, but Ive been through several DAubert hearings where my own science testimony and my qualifications were heavily questioned before I was allowed to testify(Lawyers on the other side always want to have you excluded so you dont trouble their defenses). All I can say is that the opposing counsel and their experts were morons, if ,(as you seem to me) to have made the moral judgement ex camera, and weve all failed to be as enlightened as you are, then we all owe you a we-a culpa. However, you have the burden of proof. I dont wish to question the decisions as someone untrained in the field.

A little more light and a little less heat would help.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 05:32 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Of course not. There's lots of similar scumbags. I just don't know of any with plans to be my president.

Thank you..this:

"Approximately every other practicing expert was subject to the scumbag's wrath, if luck of the draw brought them the delivery of a baby with CP. By pretending to channel the dead baby; his appeal to emotion blinded jurors of their common sense (that half the experts agreed with the procedure used, so it was hardly malpractice). "

part of your comments led me to wonder if you were attributing the whole thing to Edwards.

So...is it your contention that any lawyer who has taken on a malpractice/negligence type suit, without 100% support for its premises by the relevant professional community, is a scumbag?

If not (and I doubt that will be your contention) what degree of disagreement would you consider ok?

I am not, btw, disagreeing that there is a problem with the legal system around this stuff, nor that many lawyers behave disgustingly around the honey pot (hell, I am amongst those liable to be subject to appalling legal tactics any time).

However

1. Most lawyers will say that it is not their job to determine guilt or innocence, but that of jury and, sometimes, judge. Do you question this?

2. While acknowledging faults in the system, you appear to be putting a great deal of personal blame onto Edwards. Are you alleging that he behaved illegally, or against the stated ethics of his profession? If not, it would seem that we are dealing more with a personal ick factor in you, rather than a substantive wrong doing by Edwards.

I can't comment on the particular cases, and hell, I would like to see a bunch of lawyers I have seen in action here subject to scathing criticism of their actions (I have routinely seen them lying in court, as well as using tactics I see as utterly morally bankrupt, so I am not cavilling with your critique absolutely), but, if Edwards' actions were both legal, and not a breach of his ethical code, I do not think you have a substantive complaint worthy of the amount of passion you obviously feel, and am curious as to where it comes from.

I mean, for your personal ick factor, well and good...but it seems you would, if you could, lead a personal crusade against his candidacy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 05:35 pm
I do think, btw, that these sorts of cases do provide some support for such cases to be judged by a judge/judges, rather than by juries, since appeals to emotion may be less successful with them, and I think it can well be argued that juries en masse do not deal well with masses of scientific information.

But...no system is going to be perfect.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:19 pm
dlowan wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Thank you..this:

"Approximately every other practicing expert was subject to the scumbag's wrath, if luck of the draw brought them the delivery of a baby with CP. By pretending to channel the dead baby; his appeal to emotion blinded jurors of their common sense (that half the experts agreed with the procedure used, so it was hardly malpractice). "

part of your comments led me to wonder if you were attributing the whole thing to Edwards.

So...is it your contention that any lawyer who has taken on a malpractice/negligence type suit, without 100% support for its premises by the relevant professional community, is a scumbag?
I haven't (and don't need to) figure out an exact percentage. 100% is too much, and not at all what I've said. IMO; 50% is certainly too little.

dlowan wrote:
If not (and I doubt that will be your contention) what degree of disagreement would you consider ok?
Again; I don't think I require any in depth knowledge of any field to state "more than 50%".

dlowan wrote:
I am not, btw, disagreeing that there is a problem with the legal system around this stuff, nor that many lawyers behave disgustingly around the honey pot (hell, I am amongst those liable to be subject to appalling legal tactics any time).

However

1. Most lawyers will say that it is not their job to determine guilt or innocence, but that of jury and, sometimes, judge. Do you question this?
I do not. On that same point; I recognize the need for attorneys to do their very best at defending the very worst of humanity in order for our system to be considered reasonably just. In civil law; I similiarly recognize the need for attorneys to do their very best by their clients. This doesn't mean that I have to approve of the people who choose to do so (let alone want them to be my next president).

dlowan wrote:
2. While acknowledging faults in the system, you appear to be putting a great deal of personal blame onto Edwards. Are you alleging that he behaved illegally, or against the stated ethics of his profession? If not, it would seem that we are dealing more with a personal ick factor in you, rather than a substantive wrong doing by Edwards.
Edwards has done his job legally and extraordinarily well. I hold him in disdain for choosing to do so. His disregard of well-meaning, innocent doctors most certainly provides a personal ick factor. One that I think will be shared by other readers, whose attention is drawn to the facts. I have no illusion that "I can convince all of the people" to agree. My work will not be fruitless if some do... even incrementally.

At one point it was legal to own slaves. I hold those who did in no less disdain because of this. Legality has nothing to do with it.

dlowan wrote:
I can't comment on the particular cases, and hell, I would like to see a bunch of lawyers I have seen in action here subject to scathing criticism of their actions (I have routinely seen them lying in court, as well as using tactics I see as utterly morally bankrupt, so I am not cavilling with your critique absolutely), but, if Edwards' actions were both legal, and not a breach of his ethical code, I do not think you have a substantive complaint worthy of the amount of passion you obviously feel, and am curious as to where it comes from.
This makes no sense coming from you. Whether or not something is legal; is not the beginning and the end of whether or not it is or isn't morally reprehensible. And I think you agree with this, no?

dlowan wrote:
I mean, for your personal ick factor, well and good...but it seems you would, if you could, lead a personal crusade against his candidacy.
In small measure; that is precisely what I'm doing here. I'm quite bored with the subject; but believe more light on it reflects badly on a man I don't think has the moral compass to be my president. I would encourage those who like him to take a closer look at Obama... or even Hillary.

dlowan wrote:
I do think, btw, that these sorts of cases do provide some support for such cases to be judged by a judge/judges, rather than by juries, since appeals to emotion may be less successful with them, and I think it can well be argued that juries en masse do not deal well with masses of scientific information.

But...no system is going to be perfect.
Agreed and agreed. I'm not ready to endorse any particular change in the system; but I'll continue to hold in disdain those who choose to exploit the weaknesses in this one (by maligning and extorting other innocents) for personal profit. I won't hold the suffering parents at fault for wanting to blame someone; but I'll damn sure do so to the ambulance chasing scumbag that parasitically exploits their tragedy.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:19 pm
farmerman wrote:
I dont wish to question the decisions as someone untrained in the field.
I don't understand this cop out. Experts split 50/50 means there is no consensus on right or wrong. None of you, me, the Jury, or the scumbag pretending to channel the little girl could possibly know better; so it is a clear travesty of justice for a Doctor to be attacked so viciously for having done nothing, nothing more than his job. Imagine being sued one day for giving a girl CP, knowing you did everything right according to your training, and losing, because some super-talented scumbag transfixed a jury into ignoring the most glaring truth of the case (that experts were split). How do you suppose that feels? These innocent doctors were victimized by a greedy scumbag who exploited a weakness in our system to the detriment of Health Care costs and quality.

Cesarean deliveries carry the same risks as major surgery and we now know that a 500% increase in Cesarean deliveries (which many attribute to the dirty scam against doctors, pioneered by Edwards) resulted in no change to the rate of CP occurrence whatsoever.

farmerman wrote:
A little more light and a little less heat would help.
What more light do you need? Would you rather hear it from the New York Times?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:56 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
None of you, me, the Jury, or the scumbag pretending to channel the little girl could possibly know better; so it is a clear travesty of justice for a Doctor to be attacked so viciously for having done nothing, nothing more than his job.

Well, in the piece you cited from the New York Times it says he waited 90 minutes after signs of distress to perform a breach delivery. So I'm thinking this had more to do with the 90 minutes than the choice not to do a c-section. The fact is that he was hired to win money to pay for the care of a child that was born rather traumatically and he did his job and won the money. You would have preferred he didn't a) take the job or b) win?

Do you know all the details of these cases, is that why you are so passionate? Because I don't and what's been said so far doesn't sound particularly scumbaggy. Maybe if I knew more about it.

It's the channeling of dead baby, isn't it, when you get down to it?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:28 pm
OB
Quote:
I don't understand this cop out. Experts split 50/50 means there is no consensus on right or wrong. None of you, me, the Jury, or the scumbag pretending to channel the little girl could possibly know better

It wasnt Edwards job as AN ADVOCATE FOR THE PLAINTIFF to bring out the debate among scientists. His job was clearly to win the case for which he was retained as counsel. DAUBERT rules require a legitamacy be demonstrated between the science presented and the presenters as experts. The DAUBERT requirements are more limiting and stricter for any testifying expert. Before DAUBERT, under the FRY test, experts could come out of the woodwork as "hired guns" and testify even though their experience and training may be out of the realm of the cases circle entirely.

More importantly on the CIGNA case, I heard this AM that the little girl had advanced leukemia and was not, otherwise a viable candidate for a liver transplant. Did I miss this?
Quote:
The Sarkisyan family claims that Cigna first agreed to the liver transplant surgery and had secured a match weeks ago. After the teen, who was battling leukemia, received a bone marrow transplant from her brother, however, she suffered a lung infection, and the insurer backed away from what it felt had become too risky a procedure.

"They're the ones who caused this. They're the one that told us to go there, and they would pay for the transplant," Hilda Sarkisyan said.

Geri Jenkins of the California Nurses Association said the Sarkisyans had insurance, and medical providers felt comfortable performing the medical procedure. In that situation, the the insurer should defer to medical experts, she said.

Does this change the decission to withdraw the transplant after first consenting? I think that the gray area here re: her advanced leukemia needs to be factored in before we pile on CIGNA
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 02:34 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
None of you, me, the Jury, or the scumbag pretending to channel the little girl could possibly know better; so it is a clear travesty of justice for a Doctor to be attacked so viciously for having done nothing, nothing more than his job.

Well, in the piece you cited from the New York Times it says he waited 90 minutes after signs of distress to perform a breach delivery. So I'm thinking this had more to do with the 90 minutes than the choice not to do a c-section.
It is my understanding that babies have a habit of deciding for themselves when it's time for a natural delivery. Breach isn't ideal, but it is natural, and the C-Section is the only alternative I'm aware of.

FreeDuck wrote:
The fact is that he was hired to win money to pay for the care of a child that was born rather traumatically and he did his job and won the money. You would have preferred he didn't a) take the job or b) win?
No one should win a case against an innocent doctor, and only a scumbag would try. Half the experts agreed there was nothing wrong with the procedure at the time, and have since been demonstrated correct.

FreeDuck wrote:
Do you know all the details of these cases, is that why you are so passionate? Because I don't and what's been said so far doesn't sound particularly scumbaggy. Maybe if I knew more about it.
I tend to read a good deal about every potential President. I read the most about the ones I like the most, and the one's I like the least. With this one, the more I learned; the less I liked… and I believe I've a pretty thorough understanding his legal history. He isn't just another ambulance chaser; he typifies the very worst among them.

FreeDuck wrote:
It's the channeling of dead baby, isn't it, when you get down to it?
Not really. Had he performed like that in a genuine case of malpractice; I might even be appreciative. That he did it to screw an innocent doctor out of money, is where it becomes obscene. The 500% increase in the riskier delivery is really bad too... but the deliberate precision targeting of innocent doctors to exploit human tragedy for money is beyond disgusting.

I know several parents of very special needs children… and you'd better believe they could use more help and more dough. That isn't what Edwards is about. In fact; he led the fight against a reform that would have helped all of these parents… instead of the lucky sliver who hire scumbags like him.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 02:42 pm
farmerman wrote:
It wasnt Edwards job as AN ADVOCATE FOR THE PLAINTIFF to bring out the debate among scientists. His job was clearly to win the case for which he was retained as counsel. DAUBERT rules require a legitamacy be demonstrated between the science presented and the presenters as experts. The DAUBERT requirements are more limiting and stricter for any testifying expert. Before DAUBERT, under the FRY test, experts could come out of the woodwork as "hired guns" and testify even though their experience and training may be out of the realm of the cases circle entirely.

Mr. Edwards's associate interviewed 41 obstetricians before finding one local doctor who would make a good witness. Wouldn't you start to question the merit of your case after a dozen or so?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:27 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
It is my understanding that babies have a habit of deciding for themselves when it's time for a natural delivery. Breach isn't ideal, but it is natural, and the C-Section is the only alternative I'm aware of.

Well, my sister just delivered a child breach in which the doctor literally had to go in and get her out (thank God for modern pain medication) and breach deliveries often require forceps. So I wouldn't say that it's the baby's choice. There are all sorts of other ways to get a baby out early that are not entirely "natural" but do result in a vaginal birth.

Quote:
FreeDuck wrote:
The fact is that he was hired to win money to pay for the care of a child that was born rather traumatically and he did his job and won the money. You would have preferred he didn't a) take the job or b) win?
No one should win a case against an innocent doctor, and only a scumbag would try. Half the experts agreed there was nothing wrong with the procedure at the time, and have since been demonstrated correct.

This being a civil case I don't see where innocence comes in. The suit was, in fact, against the hospital, though I'm sure the doctor's malpractice insurance had to pay something too. When you say half the experts agreed there was nothing wrong with the procedure, do you mean half the experts at the trial? Or are you talking about something more general, like whether or not a c-section is appropriate for breach presentation with fetal distress.

Quote:
I know several parents of very special needs children… and you'd better believe they could use more help and more dough. That isn't what Edwards is about. In fact; he led the fight against a reform that would have helped all of these parents… instead of the lucky sliver who hire scumbags like him.

Well, that's something I'd be more interested in if it is indeed true. That would be more indicative of a scumbag than what you're suggesting he did wrong by taking the 1985 case and winning it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:37 pm
OB, Im not a lawyer and I dont submit any expertise in trial advocacy but I serve as a forensic expert in mining and environmental claims and criminalistics . Ive been DAUBERT challenged before and during , in depositions and trials. If, as you say, 41 doctors were interviewed, this is of itself, a caseworthy note. If a lawyer on the defense failed to follow up (and all this is usually discoverable), then bloody shame on the defense teams

"Dr. X, I understand that you were not the first Physician that the plaintiffs interviewed to serve as an expert, is that correct?". (Now unless this information is excluded , I cannot believe that Edwards was acting in any fashion inconsistent with his profession). He had played the debate in pre natal care to his clients favor.

PS, the doctors defense was , in all cases, secured via the insurance carriers, who DO pool resources to limit their own liabilities.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:39 pm
I'd be interested in O'Bill's evidence that he "led the fight".

The NYT article (which I DO find more convincing than your florid hyperbole Bill) mentions his being part of it.

If it is true that he opposed a bill that would have helped more kids and parents, then I also find that very disturbing...but I would like to see the arguments.

Mind you, once you see close-up the money and preserve defending behaviour of obstetricians en masse, then even lawyers lose a degree of their ugliness.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 04:56 pm
farmerman wrote:
OB, Im not a lawyer and I dont submit any expertise in trial advocacy but I serve as a forensic expert in mining and environmental claims and criminalistics . Ive been DAUBERT challenged before and during , in depositions and trials. If, as you say, 41 doctors were interviewed, this is of itself, a caseworthy note. If a lawyer on the defense failed to follow up (and all this is usually discoverable), then bloody shame on the defense teams

"Dr. X, I understand that you were not the first Physician that the plaintiffs interviewed to serve as an expert, is that correct?". (Now unless this information is excluded , I cannot believe that Edwards was acting in any fashion inconsistent with his profession). He had played the debate in pre natal care to his clients favor.

PS, the doctors defense was , in all cases, secured via the insurance carriers, who DO pool resources to limit their own liabilities.
The response containing the number 41 is a cut and paste from the Times story (it's true). He has insurance, makes a sleazy suit no less sleazy.

Deb and Free: Did you actually read the Times story?
FreeDuck wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Well, that's something I'd be more interested in if it is indeed true. That would be more indicative of a scumbag than what you're suggesting he did wrong by taking the 1985 case and winning it.
dlowan wrote:
If it is true that he opposed a bill that would have helped more kids and parents, then I also find that very disturbing...but I would like to see the arguments.
The New York Times wrote:
An examination of Mr. Edwards's legal career also opens a window onto the world of personal injury litigation. In building his career, Mr. Edwards underbid other lawyers to win promising clients, sifted through several dozen expert witnesses to find one who would attest to his claims, and opposed state legislation that would have helped all families with brain-damaged children and not just those few who win big malpractice awards.

The New York Times also wrote:
On the other side, insurance companies, business groups that support what they call tort reform and conservative commentators have accused Mr. Edwards of relying on questionable science in his trial work. Indeed, there is a growing medical debate over whether the changes have done more harm than good. Studies have found that the electronic fetal monitors now widely used during delivery often incorrectly signal distress, prompting many needless Caesarean deliveries, which carry the risks of major surgery.

The rise in such deliveries, to about 26 percent today from 6 percent in 1970, has failed to decrease the rate of cerebral palsy, scientists say. Studies indicate that in most cases, the disorder is caused by fetal brain injury long before labor begins.

In 2004 Edwards himself answered:
As for the unneeded Caesareans, he said, "The question is, would you rather have cases where that happens instead of having cases where you don't intervene and a child either becomes disabled for life or dies in utero?"
Snappy answer, eh?Problem is: In 2004, when he offered it (story was written), there was no longer even a debate about this BS, since a 500% increase in Cesarian deliveries over 34 years had failed to decrease the rate of cerebral palsy. Once upon a time; it is possible he believed his own BS (had a 50/50 shot at having merit, right?). That answer in 2004, however, was a bald faced lie.
From his own book:
Quote:
It was clear which evidence would be crucial: "I had to become an overnight expert in fetal monitor readings," Mr. Edwards wrote.

In other cases, too, his colleagues say, the fetal monitor readings would constitute the key evidence.

"It's just like a black box in a car," said Douglas B. Abrams, Mr. Edwards's co-counsel in a cerebral palsy case settled for $1 million in 1995. "You know when a truck driver was driving too fast."

A Medical Advance Is Rethought

Electronic fetal heart monitoring was introduced in the 1960's to great fanfare. Advocates thought it would prevent most cerebral palsy by providing continuous immediate data on how babies were weathering labor and delivery.

But in the 1980's, scientists began to challenge the premise that medical care during delivery had much to do with cerebral palsy. Studies concluded that 10 percent or fewer of cases could be traced to an oxygen shortage at birth. The vast majority of children who developed cerebral palsy were damaged long before labor, the studies found.
This was during the 80's, and we know he first did his dog and pony show in 85... and notice that last quote was from 95.

Then a series of randomized trials challenged the notion that faster delivery could prevent cerebral palsy. Reviewing data from nine countries, two researchers reported last year that the rate of the disorder had remained stable despite a fivefold increase in Caesarean deliveries.

Dr. Karin B. Nelson, a child neurologist with the National Institutes of Health, says the notion that paying greater heed to electronic monitoring will prevent brain injuries remains just that, a notion. "Evidence of high medical quality contradicts the assumption that the use of electronic fetal monitoring during labor can prevent brain damage," Dr. Nelson said.

Wanna know who agrees with Edwards? Lawyers do.
Quote:
Mr. Edwards's former colleagues in the plaintiffs' bar certainly support his candidacy. His campaign is disproportionately financed by lawyers and people associated with them, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, which calculates that about half of the $15 million he has raised comes from lawyers.

Who argued against sharing funds with other sick kids? You guessed it:
Quote:
He said he planned to bring up the issue of compensation with a state commission that is studying medical malpractice. One approach would be to limit awards and create a fund to be shared by all families with similarly afflicted children.

This is not the first time Mr. Miller has championed the idea. In 1991, his legislation to create such a fund was defeated, in large part by the state's trial lawyers. Among those who spoke out against the bill was Mr. Edwards, who called it a baby tax.

Say it with me now: Scumbag
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:47 pm
Im not going to agree with you because youve tried to oversimplify the role of trial advocacy. Further, you are accusing based upon motive that you cannot back up as real. The fact that Edwards hd successfully brought cases to sue on med malpractice begs the issue of WHAT DID HE UNDERSTAND WAS THE SCIENCE AT THE TIME OF THE TRIAL??

His selection of an expert witness was clear in the article. HE went through a number of candidates until he found one who would be the best witness. I see this every day. In my field lawyers interview experts and many firms have in house science advisors who help the attornies understand the concepts and the witness pool candidates.

HOWEVER--Lets get back to the CIGNA issue, we may have some common ground here in that "if", as was reported, the girl was being aggressively treated for leukemia of a severe type, did that sort of exclude her from consideration for a liver transplant?? Its a decision that, although makes me seem two faced, I sorta agree with now that I see the additional facts.

Why would we give her a liver if the prognosis for the leukemia wasnt good??
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:17 pm
Please farmerman don't throw out the red herring that is the thrust of the original post Laughing
0 Replies