Model bachelor's degree in history curriculum

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 08:30 am
Re: Model bachelor's degree in history curriculum
Robert Gentel wrote:
I know many intelligent people who have failed to do so, and who weild the intellectual equivalent of a sock full of lug nuts in their arguments.

You intrigue me, Robert Gentel. I usually welcome newcomers to A2K, but perhaps I should be welcoming you back?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 01:09 pm
Not all that intriguing I'm afraid as I just wanted to use my real name. Thanks for the welcome.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
Not all that intriguing I'm afraid as I just wanted to use my real name. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to using your real name. :wink:

And congratulations on your engagement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 02:22 pm
I wish I had studied logic in 6th or 7th grade instead of as a freshman in college. I'd go along with it being taught at the beginning of high school, though, perhaps as some part of a general study habits/how to research course that, as Robert Gentel mentioned, might not be taught over more than a few days or few weeks time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:42 am
I find it interesting that in the curricula from four major American universities for a major or concentration in history, which i linked in this thread, there is no reference to all of the extraneous crap that Herr Flaja is peddling here. Furthermore, Herr Flaja has told us he took 40 credit hours of history, in the process of getting a BS in biology. That hardly qualifies him as expert in what ought to constitute a history curriculum.

The reference to 40 credit hours is misleading, as well. The first university which i attended had a course of two semesters, and a summer session in which one could get semester hour credits by taking half as many courses and attending for twice as much classroom time. At that university, my history major required 48 semester hours of courses in history and historiography. If Herr Flaja was referring to semester hours in his "40 credit hours," he had completed sufficient work to have gotten a degree in history, after completing merely two, four-hour courses.

Of course, the second university i attended was on a quarter system, and they transferred credit on the basis of two semester hours being equivalent to three quarter hours--under such a system, Herr Flaja's "40 credit hours" would have been worth fewer than 30 semester hours.

For that matter, we have only Herr Flaja's word for any of this, and for all we know, his "40 credit hours" could have been obtained at a community college, and may not have been transferable for credit at an accredited four-year college or university. My experience of what passes for historical "knowledge" on the part of Herr Flaja suggests the last option as the most plausible explanation for all of Herr Flaja's hot air.

At all events, now that i know that Joe is the King of History, i don't see any point in listening to anyone else around here.

Anyone genuinely interested in finding out what a good university considers to be a reasonable history curriculum can go back to the post in which i linked that information for Columbia University, Harvard University, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the University of California at Los Angeles.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
At all events, now that i know that Joe is the King of History, i don't see any point in listening to anyone else around here.

A benison upon you, my loyal subject.
0 Replies