Model bachelor's degree in history curriculum

parados

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:36 pm
Quote:
You say students should take a variety of courses, but when I include a variety of courses in my curriculum, you object. You entered this thread to argue, not discuss.

I think this statement is interesting. Does this mean the only discussion you will allow is agreement?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:44 pm
Re: Model bachelor's degree in history curriculum
flaja wrote:
You don't have much of an education do you?

Quite the contrary. I'm the king of historians, remember?

flaja wrote:
There is always a minimum amount of time needed to cover the material that must be covered in any course. Shortening science and foreign language classes will mean you won't be able to cover the material that students need to learn.

The material to be covered would be adjusted to the amount of class time available.

flaja wrote:
Quote:
The people on internet discussion forums who can't form a coherent argument are unlike historians in two important respects: (1) they are not amenable to instruction; and (2) they are, by and large, idiots. There are, of course, historians who fit into that category, but I doubt that a logic class would help them much.

Why wouldn't a logic glass help them much? Again you are spouting generalities that I am supposed to take at face value.

Because, by my definition, those historians would not be amenable to instruction and would be idiots. For those kinds of people, I doubt any class would be of much help.

flaja wrote:
Suppose a historian who didn't study statistics loses his job and has to take work in another sub-field of history that does use statistics. Suppose a historian decides to seek a political office that uses statistics of a historical nature.

Well, I suppose if a historian sprouted wings he'd want to take flying lessons. That doesn't mean everyone needs to take flying lessons.

flaja wrote:
You talked about electives earlier; why? What purpose do electives serve if not to give a student a broader academic foundation for his career? A course on how to work with statistics is a way of broadening a historian's academic preparation for whatever work he wants to do now and whatever work he may want to do later and whatever work he may have to do because unemployment is the alternative.

If that's the criterion, then you should add an automobile repair course or a computer tech course (with labs, of course) to your history curriculum. You already have plenty of other non-history courses in there.

flaja wrote:
At the undergraduate level I wouldn't assume that every student always knows what he wants to specialize in so I wouldn't tailor the undergraduate curriculum to each student. My bachelor's degree curriculum is meant to prepare students for whatever sub-field of history they may later want to specialize in. I don't want students to be locked-in to any particular specialty because the courses they took early on.

The vast majority of history majors in college don't go on to become historians. According to your plan, the first time history majors get a chance to take a significant number of history classes would be in graduate school -- which most history majors will never attend. You load them down with so many unnecessary ancillary coursework that they never actually get to study history at the undergraduate level.

flaja wrote:
Maybe they should take a statistics course to see if they are interested in historical statistics.

Maybe they should take an archaeology course to see if they are interested in archaeology.

Maybe they should take a paleontology course to see if they are interested in paleontology.

If that's what they want to do, then they should be able to do it. They shouldn't be forced into it.

flaja wrote:
You say students should take a variety of courses, but when I include a variety of courses in my curriculum, you object. You entered this thread to argue, not discuss.

Your curriculum has variety, that's for sure. But most of the courses are either unnecessary or else completely useless for history majors. Indeed, most of the courses in your history curriculum aren't even history courses. It's rather like saying that, because a grocery store and a junkyard both have a variety of items to choose from, you should go ahead and shop for your food at a junkyard.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:10 pm
Quote:
Why? Darwinism and Creationism are the fundamental philosophical foundations of modern society. In popular culture and public academic settings history is presented as if Darwinism were true and Creationism were false. So why would studying them be useless to historians?

You preent it as if Darwinian thought and Creationism just popped out of the blackboard. A study of the history of science and technology would include the context in which Creationism actually became a movement. Also, DArwins work was merely a foun dation in which scientists themselves became more than parsons with bug collections or physicians with interests in chemistry, or surveyors with interests in time.

Science, like any practise , has a circuitous path of development that has included many appently unrelated discoveries . The history of how this came to be is more important than merely concentrating on DArwin or BishopUssher.
You need to understand vis plastica, Ibn Sinna, the contributions of Archimedes, the battles of Copernicus, Steno, Hooker and hundreds of others. Why limit it to Darwin and Creationism?.They are only one drawer in the cabinet of science and society.
Besidesl, to science, there is no valid controversy worth considering, (unless your course is for Bob Jones College or Ave MAria University).

Paleontology, as a course in a program, has no context or meaning. Im a geologist and I rarely use Paleontology , when I do, I gather real paleonytologists about me. Paleontology is the understanding of the relationship of fossils to the history of the earth, so , if youre gonna require Paleo, youll need a course in historical geology, Physical geology, and sedimentology, and those are usually prerequisites for paleo. and paleoecology.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
flaja wrote:
solipsister wrote:
ooo a lovely double major in pre-history and mythology.

come to us

we will show you where the path was

Who has said anything about a double major?

Do you deny that myth and legend can and do reflect history?

Congratulations flaja.

Your curriculum, as discussed, is nonpareil.

I assumed the double major from the two III's.

Nonesuchly, historians and statistical inference go hand in glove.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:32 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:

I think this statement is interesting. Does this mean the only discussion you will allow is agreement?

I mean what I said. I am not here to argue but criticism for criticism's sake is pure argument. If you have constructve criticism to give, give it and be prepared to support what you say with bona fide facts and evidence. Otherwise don't waste my time.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:36 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
The material to be covered would be adjusted to the amount of class time available.

Meaning you'd have to take more courses to cover all of the material you need to learn for your degree, which means you could end up taking more courses for a degree in one academic field than you would another. So you'd be right back where you started with uneven academic requirements.

You have just argued yourself in a circle.

Quote:
Because, by my definition, those historians would not be amenable to instruction and would be idiots. For those kinds of people, I doubt any class would be of much help.

I ask for facts and you give opinion.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:42 pm
farmerman wrote:
You preent it as if Darwinian thought and Creationism just popped out of the blackboard. A study of the history of science and technology would include the context in which Creationism actually became a movement.

This would depend on what the technology course emphasizes. For the technology course, I am talking in terms of when things were discovered or invented and what lead up to these discoveries and inventions and how they influenced society and thus how they influenced history. There wouldn't be enough time to cover what I would want the Darwinism/Creationism courses to cover in the technology class.

Remember that I am assuming that undergraduate students don't have a definite idea about what part of history they want to specialize in. The bachelor's degree curriculum is meant to give students a very broad introduction to history topics so they would be prepared to enter a master's degree program for any possible sub-field of history they may end up entering.

Quote:
Science, like any practise , has a circuitous path of development that has included many appently unrelated discoveries . The history of how this came to be is more important than merely concentrating on DArwin or BishopUssher.
You need to understand vis plastica, Ibn Sinna, the contributions of Archimedes, the battles of Copernicus, Steno, Hooker and hundreds of others.

All the more reason to have several separate courses rather than trying to lump so much together in just one.

Quote:
Paleontology, as a course in a program, has no context or meaning.

Pre-history; the physical foundation upon which history is set, allows historians to see the whole picture. Like I have said before, history does not exist in a vacuum. You should have certain basic information about all history before you try to specialize in any particular part of history.

Quote:
Im a geologist and I rarely use Paleontology , when I do, I gather real paleonytologists about me.

But if you had no exposure to paleontology in your undergraduate curriculum, how do you know when you need paleontology in your day-to-day work as a geologist?

Quote:
Paleontology is the understanding of the relationship of fossils to the history of the earth, so , if youre gonna require Paleo, youll need a course in historical geology, Physical geology, and sedimentology, and those are usually prerequisites for paleo. and paleoecology.

Pre-requisites may be a problem in that there wouldn't be room for them in my curriculum, which I don't want to take longer than 30 academic terms/2 calendar years. But the purpose of the history curriculum is to train historians, not geologists even though a historian needs some exposure to the earth's natural history. It may take designing a paleontology course specifically for history majors.

And it was my experience at Emory that prerequisites aren't all they are cracked up to be. Often you could enroll in a course without taking the prerequisite listed in the course catalog by simply discussing the matter with the professor. Calculus was listed as a prerequisite for both freshmen level physics courses, but whether or not you needed calculus to do physics depended on how the professor wanted to present the physics material. Neither professor that I had for physics used calculus.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:46 pm
solipsister wrote:
flaja wrote:
solipsister wrote:
ooo a lovely double major in pre-history and mythology.

come to us

we will show you where the path was

Who has said anything about a double major?

Do you deny that myth and legend can and do reflect history?

Congratulations flaja.

Your curriculum, as discussed, is nonpareil.

I assumed the double major from the two III's.

Nonesuchly, historians and statistical inference go hand in glove.

Have you ever read Worlds in Collision or Mankind in Amnesia by Velikovsky?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:57 pm
flaja wrote:
parados wrote:
Quote:

I mean what I said. I am not here to argue but criticism for criticism's sake is pure argument. If you have constructve criticism to give, give it and be prepared to support what you say with bona fide facts and evidence. Otherwise don't waste my time.

Just because you don't like the criticism doesn't mean it isn't valid. Joe has supported his opinion as well if not more than you supported yours. It is only your opinion that "creationism" has any validity in a history curriculum. You have no real facts to support why it should be there. I see no reason why Joe's opinion should have any less weight than yours does.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 04:01 pm
flaja wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Meaning you'd have to take more courses to cover all of the material you need to learn for your degree, which means you could end up taking more courses for a degree in one academic field than you would another. So you'd be right back where you started with uneven academic requirements.

You have just argued yourself in a circle.

In my experience, there are always some majors that had more requirements than other majors, meaning that the students in that department had to take more required courses than students in other departments. My reaction to that: so what? I'm not sure why you are so anal about all majors having the same number of required courses, but that's your problem, not mine.

flaja wrote:
Quote:

Actually, that's not an opinion, that's a logical deduction. But then you probably are one of those people on the internet who can't form a coherent argument, so you probably missed that.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 05:13 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
In my experience, there are always some majors that had more requirements than other majors, meaning that the students in that department had to take more required courses than students in other departments. My reaction to that: so what? I'm not sure why you are so anal about all majors having the same number of required courses, but that's your problem, not mine.

You don't see a problem in granting equal credit for unequal work?

flaja wrote:
Quote:

Actually, that's not an opinion, that's a logical deduction.[/quote]

How so? What documented facts are you basing your deduction on?

If a historian cannot understand and use the mechanics of logical reasoning because he's never been formally trained in critical thinking, how well could he analyze the reasoning of someone like Hitler? Could a historian who idolizes Franklin Roosevelt and a historian who despises Franklin Roosevelt (or substitute Ronald Reagan) have any chance of understanding each other, let alone address the issue in an unbiased manner, if they haven't been formally taught any critical thinking skills?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:12 am
flaja wrote:
You don't see a problem in granting equal credit for unequal work?

It ranks exceedingly low on the list of things that concern me.

flaja wrote:
Quote:
flaja wrote:
Quote:

Actually, that's not an opinion, that's a logical deduction.

How so? What documented facts are you basing your deduction on?

A logical deduction need not be based on any facts. It only needs to be based on propositions. You really don't understand logic, do you?

flaja wrote:
If a historian cannot understand and use the mechanics of logical reasoning because he's never been formally trained in critical thinking, how well could he analyze the reasoning of someone like Hitler? Could a historian who idolizes Franklin Roosevelt and a historian who despises Franklin Roosevelt (or substitute Ronald Reagan) have any chance of understanding each other, let alone address the issue in an unbiased manner, if they haven't been formally taught any critical thinking skills?

Most people are able to understand logical reasoning even though they've never taken a formal logic course. Given the propositions "all men are mortal" and "Socrates is a man," most people are able to conclude that Socrates is mortal. They don't need to know that they're completing a syllogism using modus ponens reasoning. Most people, and that includes most historians, can function just fine without taking logic in college, and I seriously doubt if more than a quarter of practicing historians today have every taken a formal logic course.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 09:03 am
joefromchicago wrote:
A logical deduction need not be based on any facts. It only needs to be based on propositions. You really don't understand logic, do you?

Again, you are here simply to argue. Running your mouth on the basis of propositions instead of factual reality is simply running your mouth. Logic that is not based on reality serves no purpose.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:32 am
flaja wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Again, you are here simply to argue. Running your mouth on the basis of propositions instead of factual reality is simply running your mouth. Logic that is not based on reality serves no purpose.

What else have you offered besides unsupported opinions?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:37 am
joefromchicago wrote:
flaja wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

What else have you offered besides unsupported opinions?

My opininon is based on my personal experience as a history student.

Furthermore I have given concrete examples of how and why historians may need the courses I include in this curriculum, but you seem to have ignored them.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 12:04 am
flaja wrote:
My opininon is based on my personal experience as a history student.

So is mine.

flaja wrote:
Furthermore I have given concrete examples of how and why historians may need the courses I include in this curriculum, but you seem to have ignored them.

No, I haven't ignored them, I just considered them to be inconsequential. All you've given are examples of fanciful situations where a historian might need a background in some otherwise irrelevant discipline. I could just as easily provide examples of historians needing to know something about birds or stamps or carburetors, but that doesn't mean that all historians need to take courses in ornithology or philately or auto mechanics. The fact remains that the one thing in your history curriculum in which your students don't get a thorough grounding is history. I don't think it takes a historian to figure out that your curriculum doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 03:55 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Most people are capable of constructing sound logical arguments without taking a logic class.

joefromchicago wrote:

The people on internet discussion forums who can't form a coherent argument are unlike historians in two important respects: (1) they are not amenable to instruction; and (2) they are, by and large, idiots. There are, of course, historians who fit into that category, but I doubt that a logic class would help them much.

I think you are right in that historians who fit into those categories are not going to take that much out of just about any education. And though I also agree with your assertion that most of those who do not fit those descriptions are capable of constructing logical arguments without instruction on logic mere capability isn't something that I think should be the litmus test for inclusion in curriculum.

I think most people are capable of learning just about anything without a class within a formal education system (I've had few myself and that deficiency was easily overcome by curiosity) but said system can help ensure that they actually do, and that they do so more efficiently.

I'd probably not forward the argument that it's essential to a history curriculum only because I think it's important enough to be covered before anyone even undertakes to obtain a degree. I think it should be taught in high school. It might not even need to be a full class (it's really not that much to grasp as it's merely codification of what most people already know on some level) but it's important enough to spend at least a few days on. I'm not very familiar with formal education systems and their curriculum and there may be ways in which it's already covered (is it at least touched upon in Science classes?) but I'm familiar enough with the product of said systems to believe it's not covered enough (though by that measure that can probably be said of all topics that are covered at all, adequately or not).

I think logic is about as important as a subject can get for one's thinking, learning and intellectual interaction in general with the exception of an initial language to use to express one's thoughts. And while most people don't need any formal education to learn basic logic it can certainly speed up the process and increase the percentage of people who actually end up availing themselves of the knowledge.

I know many intelligent people who have failed to do so, and who weild the intellectual equivalent of a sock full of lug nuts in their arguments.

joefromchicago wrote:

Quite the contrary. I'm the king of historians, remember?

Nobody has ever made me laugh as hard as you sometimes do in an argument.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 07:56 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
I think most people are capable of learning just about anything without a class within a formal education system (I've had few myself and that deficiency was easily overcome by curiosity) but said system can help ensure that they actually do, and that they do so more efficiently.

The system also provides a means of lending creditability to the people doing the learning.

Quote:
I'd probably not forward the argument that it's essential to a history curriculum only because I think it's important enough to be covered before anyone even undertakes to obtain a degree. I think it should be taught in high school.

I've also included the logic course in the curriculum for other academic fields as well. The main purpose of the logic course will to emphasize to the students the danger of tunnel vision. It will remind students to examine all sides of an issue before reaching a conclusion.

Quote:
I know many intelligent people who have failed to do so, and who weild the intellectual equivalent of a sock full of lug nuts in their arguments.

My first history professor in college once told the class that he had known two types of historians. The first type are brilliant historians who cannot write, i.e., communicate, and the other are great writers, but they don't understand 2-cents worth of history. A good historian must be know and understand his material and he must be able to effectively communicate his knowledge to others. Even if a historian has great critical thinking skills a formal class in logic will help him understand how others will perceive his information. Being able to recognize lapses in critical thinking in others is just as important as not making such lapses yourself.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 08:08 am
Does the phrase "inmates running the institution" come to mind here?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 08:20 am
Quote:
The main purpose of the logic course will to emphasize to the students the danger of tunnel vision. It will remind students to examine all sides of an issue before reaching a conclusion.
That has to be one of the silliest statements I have ever seen about logic.

A man has 3 daughters. One is named Mary. What are the other 2 named? According to your idea about logic it would seem one need examine all the possible names for the 2 daughters before you reach an answer to the question.
0 Replies