Question for the left and right:

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 03:57 pm
flaja wrote:
Roughly speaking almost half of the American population has German ancestry and almost half have British ancestry.

now that you've seen the statistics, would you like to take this statement back?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 03:59 pm
Re: Question for the left and right:
joefromchicago wrote:
As I have noted elsewhere, the terms "defeat" and "victory," as applied to the Iraq War, are rather vague and imprecise. I'm not sure that the administration that started this war has any clear idea of what "victory" would mean,

Meaning people that supported the war before they opposed it have no clue what defeat would mean either.

It is senseless to wage left v. right political warfare over ideas that cannot be readily defined.

Quote:
For partisans of the war, I gather that "victory" has now come to mean any kind of favorable outcome.

But what constitutes a favorable outcome?

Quote:
As the initiator of an illegal and unjust war,

How so? The Constitution grants the U.S. Congress the power to define and punish offenses committed against the law of nations. Congress can decide what international law is, and by authorizing the use of force in Iraq Congress legally declared that Iraq was violating international law.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:01 pm
Actually, this IS entertaining.

Actually, this IS entertaining.

And if I say it more often, I even might believe it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:29 pm
What is the cause of the steep decline in English ancestries both numerically and as a percentage?

That looks a big enough decline to have an indentifiable cause.

Could people be denying having English ancestry? (Go get him Settin')

What test do they use. Is it a declaration or biologically determined?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:33 pm
On slightly closer scrutiny of Walt figures all the large reductions are of European ancestries.

The revenge of the oppressed.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
Your claim, Flaja, about German migration to North America in the period of the Thirty Years War is specious at best. The Thirty Years War ran from 1618 to 1648--and the fighting was essentially ended by 1642 at the latest.

Setanta wrote:
Your claim, Flaja, about German migration to North America in the period of the Thirty Years War is specious at best. The Thirty Years War ran from 1618 to 1648--and the fighting was essentially ended by 1642 at the latest.

And people from the Rhineland Palatinate started arriving in America in the late 17th century. William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, launched something of a mass media campaign to attract German immigrants to his colony. One of my ancestors immigrated from Pfalz in the 1730s and bought land around Valley Forge, Pennsylvania directly from Penn's sons. His region of Pennsylvania already had a very large German population by the time he arrived.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:39 pm
Which has what to do with the Thirty Years War?

The year 1730 is 82 years after the Peace of Westphalia. Eighty-two years is a hell of a long time for the countryside to fill up with Germans. Charles II gave Penn the land in 1681--that was 33 years after the Peace of Westphalia. Just how do you allege that this is evidence for your claim that much of the Thirty Years War was fought in southern Germany (a false claim) and that therefore, large numbers of German Protestants migrated to North America--more than a generation before the Pennsylvania colony existed.

Dig, dig, dig, Bubba . . . apparently, you don't think that hole you're standing in is deep enough . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:41 pm
By the way:

flaja wrote:
And people from the Rhineland Palatinate started arriving in America in the late 17th century.

The Thirty Years War played to packed houses from 1618 to 1648. Just what, precisely, leads you to equate that with events in the late 17th century?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
flaja wrote:
Roughly speaking almost half of the American population has German ancestry and almost half have British ancestry. I have both.

This is horseshit, too.

Source at the United States Census Bureau's Factfinder page.

In a population of 299,398,485 (as of 2006), 50,764,352 were of German ancestry, representing between 17% and 18% of the population. Those of English ancestry are listed at 28,290,369, or less than 10%. Americans of Germany and English ancestry combined to not add up to 30% of the population, never mind that ridiculous claim of 50% for each.

I will take your choice of vocabulary as an indicator of your intelligence and this will be my last reply to you:

Data recorded by the U.S. census is dependent upon what people actually report to the government. I doubt that most people know anything about their distant ancestry. They likely report German ancestry if they have a German-sounding name or a recent family tradition of being German. Such people likely don't have a clue that they likely have German ancestry from 300 years ago. My father's last name is not German. My mother's maiden name is not German. By father's mother's maiden name was Smith- which may or may be German. My mother's mother's maiden name was Goodman- which wouldn't necessarily be German and her mother's maiden name was Honbarger- which to me sounds as much Dutch as anything else. I didn't have a clue about what my ancestry was until I was past 30. I wouldn't have known what to report to the census and likely would have simply said my ancestry was American.

And note that I did not say that roughly half of the American population has English ancestry. I said British ancestry meaning English, Welsh, Scots and Irish.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:45 pm
Advocate wrote:
Virtually all the generals, including Petraeous, have said that there can be no military victory for us.

Define military victory.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:46 pm
I know that many Americans refer to their Palantine heritage.

Rhineland Palatinate was only created after WWII - and is a state.

The time periods before, there were quite a few various "shires" with 'Palantine' in it, under various rulers - "Rhenish Palantine" being one of the most smallest (It's no German term, btw.)
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:47 pm
Advocate wrote:
I recall that Bush declared "mission accomplished" about four years ago. In view of this, we have won the war and should now leave.

How so? If the "mission" was the removal of Hussein from power, then the mission was accomplished. But neither wars, nor campaigns ever consist of just one mission.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:49 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Though I've done more intensive works only for other periods and some smaller regions, I do have a general idea about when and from where Germans immigrated to America/the USA - but I never could have written it like Set did.

But isn't it too bad that he's wrong?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:51 pm
flaja wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Though I've done more intensive works only for other periods and some smaller regions, I do have a general idea about when and from where Germans immigrated to America/the USA - but I never could have written it like Set did.

But isn't it too bad that he's wrong?

You're THE expert here. You proved it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:51 pm
Once again, you crack me up.

What's your documentation for that claim?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:55 pm
Foofie wrote:
O.K., and these percentages add up to 79.6%. Who are the remaining 20.4% that comprise ethnicities all smaller than the 1.4% for Swedish?

Again this data is based on what people have reported to the government. People don't always know everything that they should report.

When this reporting was asked for, did people have the option of reporting more than one national origin?

Quote:
Also, what perhaps skews the perception of these figures is that many "groups" have settled in a specific geographic area, so the midwest has the bulk of Germans and other Northern Europeans. Many Dutch still live in New York State in the Hudson River Valley. Scotch-Irish in the Southern States. Poles, Italians and Irish in the big urban centers.

Virginia and the Carolinas also have large Pennsylvania Dutch populations. Some of my German ancestors moved from Pennsylvania to North Carolina before the Revolution. Others moved from Germany directly to North Carolina.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:58 pm
ehBeth wrote:
flaja wrote:
Roughly speaking almost half of the American population has German ancestry and almost half have British ancestry.

now that you've seen the statistics, would you like to take this statement back?

I've already addressed the statistics. They likely are incomplete.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:58 pm
If they're German, and they live in Virginia, how is it appropriate to refer to them as "Pennsylvania Dutch?"

The Sweetiepie Girl just suggested to me that you should get your money back for those 40 credit hours you claim to have taken.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:03 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I know that many Americans refer to their Palantine heritage.

I don't and I have Palatine ancestry. The same was true for my grandmother.

Quote:
Rhineland Palatinate was only created after WWII - and is a state.

The Rhineland Palatinate is a region that was entitled to have an elector when it came time to choose the Holy Roman Emperor. It was not merely created after World War II.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
The Elector Palatine did not rule anything referred to as the Rhineland-Palatinate.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_Palatinate][b]Wikipedia[/b][/url] wrote:

Your consistent lack of precision and your arrogance combine to make the butt of several running jokes at this site. I guess that's OK with you, huh?
0 Replies