"Peons of Praise"--The Author Said That

McTag

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 04:35 am
@msolga,

In a restaurant this week, I noticed on the menu that I was being offered a "salsa Verdi".

Yes, they even used the capital letter.

Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 04:41 am
@McTag,
Who knew? Maybe Aida was into salsa.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 04:42 am
@McTag,
Maybe "Verdi" is the plural of verde?
Meaning huge amount of green sauce for two people. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 04:47 am
Just saw an ad at Facebook: L'Oreal Paris Canada . . . what, they moved it?
Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 05:16 am
@Setanta,
Set, You mean Paris isn't in Canada? Who knew?

I'm editing a book. The writing itself isn't terrible, but the authors have a unique and creative approach to punctuation, especially commas and apostrophes.

It's taking a long time. Is that plural or possessive or plural possessive. And I'm having to reread sentences, trying to figure out the meaning. Commas do make a difference. Who knew?

I'm getting too old for this stuff. But I gotta keep going. Money is the root of most of my kvetching.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 05:24 am
Some of these jokers don't care. A woman i knew was typing this guy's doctoral dissertation for him. He was speaking about "mentors and mentees," and she wanted me to assure her that the words were spelled correctly. Well, there is no verb, "to ment"--Mentor is a character in the Odyssey, the faithful family retainer who educates Telemachus in his father's absence. So, i went with her to this guy and told him--but he didn't care, he thought it sounded cool, and that it would make him sound clever. So, i told him that whenever he was being clever, he should attach a note so that his transcriptionist would know it, along with spelling and conjugation instructions. He got his back up, but he wasn't signing my check, so i didn't care.
Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 05:41 am
@Setanta,
Never mind a note to his transcriptionist. What about a note to his readers?

I've gotten instructions from publishers to leave errors because, according to the author, the errors sound better. Standards ain't what they used to be. In fact, there used to be standards.

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 05:53 am
@Roberta,
Well, in fact, the area in which he was getting his doctorate was not one in which a high level of erudition could be expected. I doubt that anyone who read the dissertation would have spotted the error, as it would have required a knowledge of classic literature from the "western canon."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 08:59 am
Mentees could be a misspelling of manatees.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:14 am
Great thread! It only took me 4 1/2 years to find it.

I don't know if anybody has mentioned it but around here restaurants insist on describing their special of the day as "Roast Beef With Au Jus".

It drives me crazy.
roger

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:02 am
@Roberta,
Lizard is spelled lizzerd if you want it to slither through the mouth, and kind of drool over the lips. Poetic license.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:17 am
@panzade,
Just curious ... but ... I'm not sure why it should drive you crazy. Maybe it's me but I understand it means 'Roast beef with gravy' (in it's own juices). There could a scenario that would be just roast Beef without...no? Unless it's about the usage of the word 'au' plus the word 'with'?
Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:28 am
@panzade,
Yup, it makes the restaurant owner look pretty damned stupid.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 02:20 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Unless it's about the usage of the word 'au' plus the word 'with'?

BINGO!
Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 04:58 am
@panzade,
I was at a business lunch many years ago. The man I was with asked the server for au jus. I tried not to snort.

Latest proofreading find:

The price of deby.

No this is not Debbie Does Dallas. It's a finance/economics book.

Any guesses?
dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 05:46 am
@Roberta,
Debt?
panzade

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 03:22 pm
@Roberta,
Yeah, well...t and y are right next to each other on the keyboard so that's a common error in my missives.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:41 pm
@dlowan,
Yes, deb. Debt is the answer.

Panzade, A common mistake for anyone. But this is a proofread. Where was the editor?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:55 pm
@Roberta,
Wait, Debt does Dallas does not make any sense, either.
dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh, I suspect it might.
0 Replies