How Dare They Hold Up That Sign?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:22 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Finn has been right about two things in the past few posts:
Quote:
Neither the actions of the Bridge Assoc nor Imus's bosses, however, were violations of anyone's First Amendment rights.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Bush supporters remain clueless as to the depth of the resentment his administration has generated around the world.

Ask anyone outside the USA.

Joe(Guantanamo)Nation

Not really, we just don't care.

But he is only right about the first one in a strictly legal sense, not in the sense of what most Americans see as their right of expression, especially political expression. Deluded souls that they are, every time they sing "...land of the free... ." they think that's actually true. It is true until you cross some line and offend somebody - the supporters of Mr. Bush, his war et al or a group of basketball players. (Isn't it ironic that in both of the instances, the 'perpetrators' were trying to be funny?) Jokes are as dangerous as guns.) Then you, the speaker of offense, must pay a cultural price which usually, not always, boils down to what I like to call the "Who's picking on who? rule:
The smaller a person is who is picked on by a bigger person, the bigger the penalty the bigger person must pay. (See Imus.)

The bridge players (small) didn't pick on anyone smaller, they picked on Bush. Those offended were a few for whom any fun, especially political, is verboten at such affairs and Bush backers whom, despite Finn being right about them not caring about the sensibilities of the rest of the world, do get upset when they hear or see dissent from their views. They wouldn't have made a single huff if the ladies had held up a sign saying "We love our President." or even "Jesus loves George."

And that's where the folks in the USA who believe they are free and the folks around the world who believe that Americans are free see the hypocrisy of this whole small sad situation.

"Make a list." "Whose idea was it?" "Confess" "Sign this that I have written."

Cripes, man, it was a joke.

Doesn't anyone have any sense of perspective in the Bridge world? Shouldn't someone just said to them "Hey, that was out of line. Please don't do it again." They would have mumbled 'sorry' and the whole thing would have been done with.

Instead, mostly because those supposedly uncaring Bush backers really like drama, just like their heros, the situation will be dealt with in the harshest way possible. In San Francisco yet.

Which brings us to the reverse of "Who's picking on Who?"

If a small person picks on a big person and the big person, or his representatives, reacts in a stupidly harsh manner, it is the big person and his representatives who end up on the short end of the admiration stick.

Joe(then they wonder cluelessly why no one seems to like them)Nation

What a lot of nonsense.

This is a Nation of Laws, and the legal application of the First Amendment is hardly some hyper-technical method of depriving Americans of their native rights.

As is typical of you and your confreres, you would invest in the "small person" some sacred right and power that inherently trumps that of the "big person"

The Uni-bomber was a "small person" and so was MLK's murderer. Whomever was responsible for the 2001 Anthrax attacks was a "small person," and so is the clown who stands on a street corner screaming that Jews are ruining our country.

The women Bridge players were "small people," but the US Bridge Assoc is hardly a monolithic faceless force. I know you believe that Bush and Company forced the Assoc to punish these heroic small people, but this is nothing more than an extension of your hysteria

Also typical, you transfer the actions of small or big people to George W Bush if it suits your predetermined bent.

The government didn't crack down on these "small" women, a "small" association did. This did not violate their First Amendment rights.

If some sing patriotic songs that declare their freedom, and they therefore believe they are free to do whatever they please, they are "small" minded people.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:23 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Joe, you know I'm loath to quibble
but finn, at most, can bare a nibble

My chip is ever poised for a fight
And you dear mountie are invited to bite.

Metre!

My chip is ever poised for fight
Mountie, I invite the bite
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:31 pm
JTT wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:

Do spare Finn's chip,
Another nibble
Another bite
Will place his depleted manhood
In Vinsan's sight.

JTT seeks glory
By nipping at Lion's heels
Go bugger yourself!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:34 pm
blatham wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:

Metre!

My chip is ever poised for fight
Mountie, I invite the bite

You're right. Much better. I was too quick to respond. I am ashamed.

But check out my Haiku
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 09:08 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

JTT seeks glory
Go bugger yourself!

Could you send me a copy of your how to video, Finn?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:17 am
You peoples is crazy.

Joe(I am merely hysterical)Nation
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:00 am
I used to think I was Joe but since I've been on A2K I am beginning to think that I might be reasonably sane.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:34 am
Quote:
JTT seeks glory
Go bugger yourself!

Better. Following tradition, you've put a break between the second and third line. That's partly why the third line is effective. However, note that the first and second run together.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:40 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
JTT seeks glory
Go bugger yourself!

Better. Following tradition, you've put a break between the second and third line. That's partly why the third line is effective. However, note that the first and second run together.

True

A better version

JTT seeks glory
The Lion notices the tick
Go bugger yourself!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:38 pm
Tis a haiku slam!
This thread is officially
declared unabridged.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:38 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Lola wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Bush supporters remain clueless as to the depth of the resentment his administration has generated around the world.

Joe(Guantanamo)Nation

Sour grapes?

It's clear Bush and his supporters don't care about much, least of all their reputations.

Hardly. I don't measure the effectiveness of our president by the extent or nature of his appeal to citizens of other nations. Afterall Europeans loved Clinton, and no doubt they would have loved Kerry too.

It shouldn't take a genius to realize that the perfectly valid self-interests of foreigners will dictate the extent of their regard for an American President and not their perception of how well he has protected and advanced the interests of America.

"Friends of Lola remain clueless as to the depth of disregard her posts have generated among A2K conservatives. Just ask anyone outside of her clique."

I suspect you don't care --- sour grapes?

Ooooouu. So defensive. But I'm not clueless. Seems I've hit my mark rather well. Can I have a bite too?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:58 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:
JTT seeks glory
Go bugger yourself!

True

A better version

JTT seeks glory
Go bugger yourself!

I'm going to modify an old and famous haiku using your elements.

Old lion
JTT jumps in
Buggery!

What do you think?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:39 am
spendius wrote:
I used to think I was Joe but since I've been on A2K I am beginning to think that I might be reasonably sane.

You used to think you were Joe, but now you're sane? I'm glad to see you've had a remission.

Now Joe, we're not all that nuts.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:01 am
Old lying lion
Ideas dead
Lies exposed
lion exposed!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:25 am
We are a rule-bound lot here. You'll have to remove a line (haiku) or stretch it out, toss in a repetitive chorus, fasten it all to some minor chords, and sing it in the voice of BB King.

"Buggery Blues", as title, perhaps.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:43 am
blatham wrote:
We are a rule-bound lot here. You'll have to remove a line (haiku) or stretch it out, toss in a repetitive chorus, fasten it all to some minor chords, and sing it in the voice of BB King.

Mine was yottsuiku, Bernie.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 05:19 pm
Lola wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Lola wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(Guantanamo)Nation

Sour grapes?

It's clear Bush and his supporters don't care about much, least of all their reputations.

Hardly. I don't measure the effectiveness of our president by the extent or nature of his appeal to citizens of other nations. Afterall Europeans loved Clinton, and no doubt they would have loved Kerry too.

It shouldn't take a genius to realize that the perfectly valid self-interests of foreigners will dictate the extent of their regard for an American President and not their perception of how well he has protected and advanced the interests of America.

"Friends of Lola remain clueless as to the depth of disregard her posts have generated among A2K conservatives. Just ask anyone outside of her clique."

I suspect you don't care --- sour grapes?

Ooooouu. So defensive. But I'm not clueless. Seems I've hit my mark rather well. Can I have a bite too?

So responding to your insults is considered overly defensive? Interesting. A few people on A2K have gotten under my skin enough to cause me to stupidly overreact. You, Lola, are not one. You're more than welcome to bite me though.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 05:22 pm
blatham wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:
JTT seeks glory
Go bugger yourself!

True

A better version

JTT seeks glory
Go bugger yourself!

I'm going to modify an old and famous haiku using your elements.

Old lion
JTT jumps in
Buggery!

What do you think?

I think you violated the syllabic rules, but I like it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 05:56 pm
Old lion
Toothless finn
Just lies
Lies
Lies
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:27 pm
JTT wrote:
blatham wrote:

Mine was yottsuiku, Bernie.

How did I not recognize it?
0 Replies