Joe(Hey, no speaking your mind, just play cards)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,827 • Replies: 155
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:15 am
Kid overseas has noted similar sentiment (we dont like him much) when talking to Americans several times.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:40 am
Bush supporters remain clueless as to the depth of the resentment his administration has generated around the world.

Ask anyone outside the USA.

Joe(Guantanamo)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:44 am
I have to keep reminding myself;

There are 300 million Americans. They cant all be idiots...... can they?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:05 am
Jo nation; sick that the, United States Bridge Federation, would be able to do that. More than likely they will get away with it.

A similar thing happend to veterans against the war on Veterans Day.

Anti-war vets banned from Long Beach Veteran's Day parade
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:12 am
dadpad wrote:

American Research Group, Inc.

Quote:
A total of 64% of American voters say that President George W. Bush has abused his powers as president. Of the 64%, 14% (9% of all voters) say the abuses are not serious enough to warrant impeachment, 33% (21% of all voters) say the abuses rise to the level of impeachable offenses, but he should not be impeached, and 53% (34% of all voters) say the abuses rise to the level of impeachable offenses and Mr. Bush should be impeached and removed from office.

What kind of sense does that make? 64% of the voters think George Bush has abused his powers but only 34% of the voters think he should be impeached and removed from office. About as much sense as voting him a second term I guess. A lot of us are idiots; we have tolerated Bush even though we believe he has committed acts considered abuse of his office. Maybe its because we know if Bush is impeached; Cheney will just be there. I don't know if it is possible to impeach the both of them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:24 am
Wow.

You need one more option, Joe: waterboard them until they recant.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 09:58 am
dadpad wrote:

No... Just 50% + 1.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:14 am
Jeezus Mary and Joseph... Another chance of amending the American image slightly by letting this silly thing go blown away. Penalizing these women or even barring them will only make things worse. It woul be funny if it weren't so sad.

Reminds me of home - in 1990s we had a wave of rabid nationalism and anyone who criticised the government abroad was labeled a traitor, there were libel suits, even lawsuits based on treason and subversion of the republic. Our government then was considered authoritarian by most of the outside world. The logic and rhetoric used here reminds me a lot of that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:26 am
Geez, Louise.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:32 am
Quote:
"While I believe in the right to free speech, to me that doesn't give anyone the right to criticize one's leader at a foreign venue in a totally nonpolitical event," he wrote by e-mail.

Umm..

<lost for words>
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
As much as I despise Bush, the sign had no place at a bridge gathering.

What is next? Should pro football players unfurl political banners at halftime?

As you probably know, the First Amendment applies only to government.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:40 am
no it does not. it limits the congress in what they can and cannot pass regarding the freedom of religion and freedom of speech. implementation safeguards the rights of ALL people,thus applies to all people, not only the government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment : for history, cases, interpretations. Nothing in there suggests that what they did was against the law.

Text of the first ammendent:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

And, don't forget the 10th amendment that stipulates essentially "what is not forbidden, is allowed"

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:47 am
Advocate wrote:

Why not? If political speech has no place at a football game or a bridge competition, where exactly is the place for it? We are people not politicians and we have the right to express our sentiments toward our government anywhere and in any way we choose so long as we're not hurting anyone. Americans who travel abroad represent Americans, not our government. If there is conflict between representing the American people and making the US government look good, any American should choose the people.

The ones who are making our country look bad are the ones who are overreacting to this incident.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:50 am
Impeached hell. Imprisonment would be more appropriate
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:59 am
Advocate wrote:

Why not? It's fairly rare, but we've had the odd political protest or symbolic gestures by footballers here..
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:29 am
Dagmar, AI applies to all of federal govt., as well as, by virtue of A14, all of state and local govts. Since A1 provides for free speech, A10 has no application.

When people play bridge, watch sports, etc., most of them do not want to be immersed in political protests, or similar, especially if what is espoused is personally obnoxious. Such things have their place elsewhere.

However, if the protests involve Bush and his policies, all is allowed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:35 am
Advocate wrote:
Dagmar, AI applies to all of federal govt., as well as, by virtue of A14, all of state and local govts. Since A1 provides for free speech, A10 has no application.

When people play bridge, watch sports, etc., most of them do not want to be immersed in political protests, or similar, especially if what is espoused is personally obnoxious. Such things have their place elsewhere.

However, if the protests involve Bush and his policies, all is allowed.

Who gives a f*ck what they want?

I am not obliged to consider what other people want when I choose my actions.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:43 am
Advocate wrote:
When people play bridge, watch sports, etc., most of them do not want to be immersed in political protests, or similar, especially if what is espoused is personally obnoxious.

I agree. I hate when any performer of any spectator event starts to go off on a political bent. It annoys the **** out of me. But to freak out and ban them from competition, basically taking away their livelihood for a year over a little sign? That's totally f*cking ludicrous. There sure are a lot of very vindictive assh*les who support Bush. I guess when you're being shown what a horse's ass you are everyday when you read the news, you get a little touchy.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:45 am
when my free speech is violated, i can sue, correct? thus the first amendment applies to me and everyone else. The first amendment, among other things that apply to congress and state governments - guarantees ME the freedom of speech, association and assembly, and religion. Therefore it does apply to me and every last citizen of this country.
0 Replies